How long were the days of Genesis 1

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
It is often claimed that the "author of genesis" was inspired by God. But the story is Genesis (actaully two or more creation stories amalgamated together) were based on oral traditions passed down for many generations. The first person to have put it down in writing could hardly have been "inspired" since he was just transcribing an already ancient myth.  The written form of genesis certainly is not an eyewitness account is it.

Upvote 0

NumberTenOx

Sep 10, 2002
Bellevue, WA USA
Visit site
✟294.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks, Freedom777, that was interesting. I have always been uncomfortable with the interpretation of the creation period in Genesis as being anything other than 24-hour days, and an illustration of the power of God.

However, when we look around us, we see overwhelming evidence of a very old universe. With a literal view of Genesis, it seems that you are left with two alternatives:

1) God created the universe to look like it was old. The more we look, the more evidence we see of an old universe, but that's because God created it that way.

2) The universe may look old, but when we really understand more than we do now, we'll discover that the universe is really young, and in line with Genesis.

In either case, it seems that the most important thing to do is to keep investigating, to keep learning. If (1) is true, then God created the universe like this for some reason, and isn't it our obligation to try and understand His creation? If (2) is true, then science, being progressive, will eventually come to this conclusion.

I'm an atheist, but I have no problem with working shoulder to shoulder with someone who believes in either (1) or (2), moving forward together to try to understand the deepest mysteries in the universe. If you truly believe that God made this all, then science will ultimately lead us to that answer.

But to just say "the universe was created in six days" so I'm going to stop learning, stop looking at what God created, I don't think that's what God wants.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
4th April 2003 at 12:20 PM NumberTenOx said this in Post #3  I have always been uncomfortable with the interpretation of the creation period in Genesis as being anything other than 24-hour days, and an illustration of the power of God. 

No where does the Bible say that a day for God is the same length as a day for man.

Upvote 0

Freedom777

Oct 8, 2002
iowa,usa
Visit site
✟8,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Johnr7 if you trace the geneology back to the first man adam, you will find adam lived on this earth about 4004 b.c .Many of the new testament writers even Jesus himself took genesis as being literal. You have to use the Bible to understand the world around you.not the world to understand the bible.
Their at odds with each other.When i speak of the world i am talking about the worlds ways,its wisdom,its idea's they are enemies to God. Christ said that adam and eve were created at the beginning,now if days could be millions of years than adam and eve were not created at the beginning.
And also the bible says that death came as a result of adams sin,now if the days are millions of years than the bible more importantly Jesus was a liar becuase you would have to say that death and desiese came before Adam sinned.which the Bible does not teach. The christain's light is the bible.We need to put on our biblical glasses not worldly glasses.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Freedom, A God Day Must be 1000 years or God Lied to Adam.

God told Adam that in the same Day he ate the fruit he will die. Adam lived quite a long time after he ate the fruit, but died at the young age of around 960, which is under 1000 years.

So, either God Lied to Adam, or a God Day is 1000 years long. (there is also scripture that says a day to god is 1000 years to us, but I dont know the chap and verse).

:)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
4th April 2003 at 05:57 PM Freedom777 said this in Post #6

Johnr7 if you trace the geneology back to the first man adam, you will find adam lived on this earth about 4004 b.c.

That is exactly where Genesis Chapter two begins. About 6000 years ago, with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. I believe Genesis Chapter one is seperate from that.

Christ said that adam and eve were created at the beginning,

What verse are you refering to?

And also the bible says that death came as a result of adams sin,

There was death in the world. Adam died because he was banned the Garden and that is where the tree of life was. The Bible says death through sin entered the world. It was sin that entered into the world through Adam & Eve.  

Jesus was a liar

That is blasphemy, your calling the Holy Spirit of God a liar?

Upvote 0

Freedom777

Oct 8, 2002
iowa,usa
Visit site
✟8,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
4th April 2003 at 05:09 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #8

What verse are you refering to?

Mt:19v.s4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the begining the Creator 'made them male and female'

Sorry Johnr7 the point i was trying to make was that Christ is in no wise a liar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums