✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was trying to respond to the OP in this thread:

I believe the Catholic and Orthodox "denominations" teach a false gospel of works. They stand under condemnation of Galatians 1:8-9 because they teach that justification is not by faith alone in Christ's merits alone but that our good works or obedience to God's commandments after baptism, albeit aided by grace, is necessary in order to remain justified in God's eyes. To me this is heresy. I believe even some Arminian groups, like the Churches of Christ and Seventh-Day Adventists, also can be deemed heretical because they believe that our obedience to God's commandment is necessary to stay justified.

In conclusion, I believe that these groups have stepped outside the bounds of orthodox biblical Christianity and should not be deemed "Christian" in the biblical sense.

I would like to explore this argument, but first I would like to verify what definitions are assumed. I first asked the author, then the thread participants, how they define "justification", but no one responded.

I would be interested in hearing how anyone in this forum that agrees with the above argument defines "justification".

Thank you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dialogist, to get started, here is an official definition of justification from the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Justification is an act of God’ s free grace, wherein He pardons all of our sins, (Romans 3:24–25; Romans 4:6–8) and accepts us as righteous in His sight, (2 Corinthians 5:19-21) only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us (Romans 5:17–19) and received by faith alone. (Galatians 2:16; Philippians 3:9)
So "justification" is a judicial act of God in which He both pardons sinners and declares them just based solely upon the meritorious work of His Son (likewise, God declares Christ, "who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" .. 2 Corinthians 5:21)

Justification is an act, it's not a process. We are "justified" or "saved" by God's grace, through faith, apart from works of any kind (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5), and that, in a moment of time (John 5:24).

Not only that, it is also once-for-all-time. It can't be reversed or repeated, and it is accomplished equally in everyone the Lord chooses to justify.

Also, it cannot be increased or decreased. And while all believers are not equally "mature" in our growth in Christlikeness, in our walk with Him, all of us are equally “justified" before God, the basis for our justification being the same for each one of us (Christ's righteousness imputed to us, our sinfulness imputed to Him .. see again 2 Corinthians 5:21).

The "process" of growing in Christ we refer to as "sanctification", which is something that can only happen after one has been justified and, as a result, is already a believer (1 Corinthians 2:12-16). But let's talk about that later and stick with "justification" for now :)

I hope this was along the lines of what you were after. Thoughts? Questions?

Yours and His,
David

"To the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor,
but as what
is due. But to the one who does not work,
but believes in Him who justifies the wicked,
his faith is credited as righteousness."

Rom 4:4-5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Justification is an act of God’ s free grace, wherein He pardons all of our sins, and accepts us as righteous in His sight ...

OK, thank you.

Just to be even more clear, could you also provide the definition of "righteous" from the same source?

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Could we, perhaps, use Paul's writings themselves to infer the meaning of "righteous"?

First, do we agree that when we refer to "righteous" in discussing the New Testament, we are referring specifically to the Greek word dikaios, as in:

As it is written, There is none righteous [dikaios], no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one (Romans 3:10-12, KJV)
It seems that Paul is quoting Psalm 13 in the Septuagint (Psalm 14 in the Masoretic Text) almost verbatim. Paul writes:

οὐκ ἔστιν δίκαιος οὐδὲ εἷς οὐκ ἔστιν ὁ συνιῶν (v.10)
There is none righteous, no, not one [lit. not one that is understanding]

πάντες ἐξέκλιναν ἅμα ἠχρειώθησαν οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός (v.12)
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one

The Septuagint reads:

οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός (v.1)
There is none that doeth good, no, not one.

πάντες ἐξέκλιναν ἅμα ἠχρεώθησαν οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός (v.3)
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one

The main difference is that whereas the Psalm uses the phrase ποιῶν χρηστότητα (poion chrestoteta, lit. "doing good") in verses 1 and 3, Paul interchanges the phrase ποιῶν χρηστότητα with the word δίκαιος in his rendition of these verses.

Since Paul seems to consider "doing good" and "righteous" as meaning the same thing, can we not therefore define "righteous" as such, or perhaps as "virtuous"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCTPremill

Jul 25, 2015
✟233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
In the Old Testament, which the Apostle Paul was heavily influenced by, the word justification principally meant to declare someone righteous or make a judicial verdict on a person's moral status (Deut 25:1; Prov 17:5; Isa 43:9, 26). The judge (whether human or divine) doesn't make the individual Israelite righteous but makes a judicial declaration about the person.

In Luke 18:14, Jesus tells us that the tax collector went home "justified" rather than the self-righteous Pharisee. Obviously, Jesus did not mean the tax collector was made righteous but that he was viewed as righteous for his humble repentance.

Paul's understanding of justification is also grounded in this OT understanding. Abraham was considered righteous by God for trusting him and leaving Ur for the Promised Land (Rom 4:1-5). In fact, the judicial understanding is reinforced here because Paul states in verse 5 "And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly..." (ESV). God pronounces a verdict on the ungodly man who trusts in him, not make him righteous by moral transformation.

Even James, the favorite of Roman Catholic and Orthodox believers when debating with Protestants, uses the judicial meaning when he talks about Abraham being justified because he offered up Isaac (James 2:21-23). Abraham's action vindicated his faith before God and others, it did not make him righteous. He was already positional righteous before God and his offering up Isaac was merely demonstration that he was right with God.

If Roman Catholic and Orthodox believers studied theology rigorously on their own and not follow the teachings of their religious organizations like foolish sheep then they will see why the view of justification of the RCC and Orthodoxy has no exegetical or lexical basis.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dear Brother:

Thank you for your comments (they were not so charitable at the end, but I assume they were made in a spirit of love and truth).

If I understand correctly, you state that in the Old Testament justification had two definitions:

1. The act of declaring someone righteous; and
2. The act of making a judicial verdict on a person's moral status

Further, if I understand the remainder of your comments correctly, you are also stating that these same definitions also apply to the New Testament.

In order that we can proceed to have an orderly theological discussion, I would ask:

1. Am I am representing your statements correctly?
2. How, in your opinion, is "righteous" defined?
3. What law is the basis for the judicial verdict that you refer to in #2?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Since Paul seems to consider "doing good" and "righteous" as meaning the same thing, can we not therefore define "righteous" as such, or perhaps as "virtuous"?

Hi Dialogist, I think one of the slight problems with that definition is that it doesn't go far enough. The "righteous" nature that the WSC* speaks of here (that makes us acceptable to God in justification) is not so much God seeing us as "righteous" because we are "doing good", rather, it's about Him seeing us as righteous because we "are" good .. :preach: (take special note of the WSC's* use of 2 Corinthians 5:21 to define their meaning here). God not only sees us as "righteous" (as if 'we' were the ones who lived a perfect, sinless life like our Lord did), rather, we become the very "righteousness of God" in His eyes, which is something far more. His seeing us this way (as v21 describes) is based therefore not only upon the meritorious 'work' that His Son did on our behalf, but on Christ Himself. Here's an illustration that speaks to part of this:

Righteousness, Believers’
If we look through a piece of red glass, everything is red. If we look through a piece of blue glass, everything is blue. If we look through a piece of yellow glass, everything is yellow, and so on. When we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior, God looks at us through the Lord Jesus Christ. He sees us in all the white holiness of his Son. ~Green, M. P. (Ed.). (1989). Illustrations for Biblical Preaching, Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.

One can "do" good or "act" righteously, but it seems to me that the only thing that counts in this case is whether or not He sees us as "already" good or "already" righteous, because nothing short of that will make us acceptable in His sight.

So, righteous, means someone who "is" good, "is" free from sin, etc., in this particular case anyway. Does that make sense?

Yours and His,
David
*p.s. - WSC=Westminster Shorter Catechism

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NCTPremill

Jul 25, 2015
✟233.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dear Brother:

Thank you for your comments (they were not so charitable at the end, but I assume they were made in a spirit of love and truth).

If I understand correctly, you state that in the Old Testament justification had two definitions:

Further, if I understand the remainder of your comments correctly, you are also stating that these same definitions also apply to the New Testament.

In order that we can proceed to have an orderly theological discussion, I would ask:

1. Am I am representing your statements correctly?
2. How, in your opinion, is "righteous" defined?
3. What law is the basis for the judicial verdict that you refer to in #2?

Thank you!

1. Yes, you are.

2. Righteousness is a declarative act of a judge (whether human or divine) about the individual in question. This declaration can be based on the moral performance of the individual in question (the Second Temple Jewish view) or based on a substitutionary righteousness of another being imputed to the individual in question (the Christian view). In either case, the judge (in this case, the Divine Judge of the universe) does not make the sinner morally or transformatively righteous but declares a divine judicial verdict of the person based on certain facts (in early Jewish view based on an individual's moral performance or in the Christian view based on Christ's perfect righteousness being imputed to the believer).

3. The perfect moral righteous standard of God as summed up in the Mosaic covenant laws. In case of the Christian, and this is where Roman Catholics/Orthodox have serious issues with classic Protestants, is that Christ's perfect keeping of the law is imputed to the believer so that he or she will be judicially righteous before God now and at the final judgment.

The view that justification language in Scripture is a judicial verdict rather than a morally renewing act by God is attested to be many scholars. Even some Roman Catholic scholars, like Raymond Brown, are conceding this point.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The view that justification language in Scripture is a judicial verdict rather than a morally renewing act by God is attested to be many scholars.
While we should not base our beliefs on what the scholars say (and much scholarship is quite misleading) it is true that Scripture itself shows that justification is a judicial verdict which is based purely upon God's grace and the finished work of Christ. The Greek words dikaiosis, dikaioma, dikaioo, etc. mean pronounced or declared righteous, meaning aquitted from all guilt. The sinner stands before the righteous Judge, who declares him "Not Guilty" as well as "Righteous before God". At the same time, justification cannot be considered in isolation, since salvation consists of justification, as well as the remission of sins, as well as the gift of the Holy Spirit, as well as the New Birth, and many other aspects which are all tied together in the gift of eternal life (Tit 3:4-7).

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
2. Righteousness is a declarative act of a judge (whether human or divine) about the individual in question ...

Please forgive me if I appear obstinate, since it is not my intent, but I really would like to clarify what is meant by the terms people use in order to have a coherent dialog.

You said that you agreed that justification has the two possible definitions:

Just working through the pure grammatical meaning of these statements, if someone is "X" then I think we would agree that that person possesses the quality of "X-ness". For example, if someone is "good", then they possess the quality of "goodness"; if someone is "sad", they possess the quality of "sadness"; etc.

So we would agree, I think that if someone is "righteous", they possess the quality of "righteousness", then we could also write:

1a. Justification is the act of declaring someone as possessing righteousness.

But your definition of righteousness relates to righteousness as an act, and not a quality. So I am stuck making sense of the following, substituting your definition for "righteousness" in (1a):

1b. Justification is the act of declaring someone as possessing a declarative act of a judge, etc.

I suppose we could slightly adjust your definition to read something like "righteousness is the quality of having been made subject to a declarative act of a judge ...", so that "righteous" would then mean "having been made subject to a declarative act of a judge." But then we are left with the semi-tautism:

1c. Justification is the act of declaring someone as having been made subject to a declarative act ...

I think what would be most helpful is just a simple one sentence definition, filling in the blank.

"Righteous" means ____________________________________________________

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Dialogist, I think one of the slight problems with that definition is that it doesn't go far enough. The "righteous" nature that the WSC* speaks of here (that makes us acceptable to God in justification) is not so much God seeing us as "righteous" because we are "doing good", rather, it's about Him seeing us as righteous because we "are" good .. :preach: (take special note of the WSC's* use of 2 Corinthians 5:21 to define their meaning here). God not only sees us as "righteous" (as if 'we' were the ones who lived a perfect, sinless life like our Lord did), rather, we become the very "righteousness of God" in His eyes, which is something far more. His seeing us this way (as v21 describes) is based therefore not only upon the meritorious 'work' that His Son did on our behalf, but on Christ Himself. Here's an illustration that speaks to part of this:

Righteousness, Believers’
If we look through a piece of red glass, everything is red. If we look through a piece of blue glass, everything is blue. If we look through a piece of yellow glass, everything is yellow, and so on. When we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior, God looks at us through the Lord Jesus Christ. He sees us in all the white holiness of his Son. ~Green, M. P. (Ed.). (1989). Illustrations for Biblical Preaching, Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.

One can "do" good or "act" righteously, but it seems to me that the only thing that counts in this case is whether or not He sees us as "already" good or "already" righteous, because nothing short of that will make us acceptable in His sight.

So, righteous, means someone who "is" good, "is" free from sin, etc., in this particular case anyway. Does that make sense?

Yours and His,
David
*p.s. - WSC=Westminster Shorter Catechism

Thank you so much for sharing this, especially for pointing out the verses in Paul's letter to the Corinthians.

Over 1,600 years ago, John Chrysostom wrote on these verses:

He did not say 'righteous', but 'righteousness', and further, 'the righteousness of God'. For this is the righteousness 'of God' when we are justified not by works, (in which case it would be necessary that not a spot even should be found) but by grace, in which case all sin is done away. And this at the same time that it does not allow us to become puffed up (seeing that the whole is the free gift of God), teaches us also the greatness of that which is given. For that which was before was the righteousness of the Law and of works, but this is the righteousness of God.​

I agree with your connecting "righteous" with "good". This was the point that I was trying to raise earlier with my (largely, if not totally, ignored) discussion of the terms for "righteous" and "doing good" in Greek . When we connect what Paul writes in Romans 3:10-12 with the Psalm he is quoting, we see that "being righteous" and "doing good" were viewed as being more or less synonymous. What I understand more clearly, thanks to your observation, is that whereas before Christ we were empowered to do some limited good ('righteousness'), proper to our human nature, Christ's Incarnation, Death, and Resurrection, imputed to us the ability to do unlimited good ('the righteousness of God'), proper to God's omnipotent nature.

So after all this, I think your definition of justification now reads something like:

Justification is an act of God’ s free grace, wherein He pardons all of our sins, and imputes to us His own perfect righteousness.

Would you agree with this definition?

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Greek words dikaiosis, dikaioma, dikaioo, etc. mean pronounced or declared righteous, meaning aquitted from all guilt

Thank you for your comments on the thread I started.

Although one might propose that dikaiosis, dikaioma, dikaioo, and other related words' (especiially dikaios and dikaiosyne) may relate to some sort of acquittal from guilt in the context in which they appear, I am not sure that it is correct to say that their inherent meaning is somehow associated with such a thing irrespective of context.

Dikaoios - "righteous" or "just" (same word in Greek), for example is used in the Septuagint to describe Noah (e.g. Gen 6:9) and Job (Job 1:1 LXX) and clearly (I think) don't have such an inherent meaning. If any inherent meaning is to be associated with the words related to dikaoios, I think it is the quality of "doing good", as I proposed in my early post on Romans 3:10-12.

What I think has happened over the last few centuries, though, is that such loaded definitions of these words (i.e. "righteous/just" in Greek) are accepted as implied premises, which in turn are used to draw certain theological conclusions about the text which may not necessarily be correct.

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Romans 4 is not in fact talking about Christ's righteousness being imputed to Abraham, then where does that notion come from? Fitzmyer has helpfully unraveled the mystery of the history of Protestant interpretation of this matter. First we need to not that Erasmus choose to depart from the vulgate rendering, which has "Abraham believed God and it was reputed (reputatum) to him unto justice (iustitia). Instead Erasmus drawing on the language common among lawyers of the day renders the text as follows, "Abraham believed God and it was imputed (imputatum) to him unto justice". This rendering is found in Erasmus's Novum Instrumentum of 1516. Now this might not have been very important except that Melanchton used Erasmus's NT and as Fitzmeyer says, later Lutheran orthodoxy followed Erasmus's rendering and understanding of the matter. Hence was borne a rather strictly forensic understanding of diakaiosyne , to the point where imputed righteousness or imputed justification became a received idea.

A Closer Look At Imputed Righteousness, pg 122, Paul's Letter to the Romans, A Socio-rhetorical Commentary, by Ben Witherington III, Darlene Hyatt. EERDMANS Publishing. 2004.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We should always keep in mind that many Greek words were adopted into the NT and given a specific theological meaning which may or may not have been present in secular language. We are to focus on how God the Holy Spirit used those words, regardless of how they may have been commonly used. "Gospel", "church", etc. have very specific Bible meanings, as does "justification" and many others.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Justification is an act of God’ s free grace, wherein He pardons all of our sins, and imputes to us His own perfect righteousness.

Would you agree with this definition?

There's more to it, of course, but sure, I would not disagree with what you wrote.

BTW, thank you for including the Chrysostom quote concerning 2 Corinthians 5:21. I went further than I have previously in describing all that is imputed to us from Christ once I realized the WSC used that particular verse as a descriptor.

So what is the official EO position on "justification"?

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's more to it, of course, but sure, I would not disagree with what you wrote.

BTW, thank you for including the Chrysostom quote concerning 2 Corinthians 5:21. I went further than I have previously in describing all that is imputed to us from Christ once I realized the WSC used that particular verse as a descriptor.

Thanks!

--David

Actually, my post disproves the contention of your post that there was imputation, borrowing. Abraham's act really was considered righteous.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Thanks!

--David

The Eastern Orthodox position on justification ...

It is not an easy question to answer, because the context of the answer is completely different from the context that is assumed in a Protestant or Roman Catholic discussion. So please forgive the long-winded answer (which I might or might not end up editing down).

There is, I think it is correct to say, a completely different understanding of the nature of sin and salvation by Eastern Orthodox on one hand ("the East") and Roman Catholics and Protestants on the other ("the West"). Please feel free if you think I am misstating any Protestant doctrine.

Western Christianity teaches that the guilt of Adam's sin is imputed to his descendants, whereas the Eastern view is than it is not the Adam's guilt that was transmitted, but rather the consequences of his disobedience: "suffering, death, a corruption of human nature, and a loss of indwelling grace." Here I am quoting from a respected book on Orthodox dogmatic theology by that same title, written by Protopresbyter Michael Pomazanski (originally written in Russian, he oversaw its translation into English in 1983, when he was 95 years old). I will just reproduce some more of what he has written here:

Roman Catholic theologians consider that the consequence of the fall was the removal from men of a supernatural gift of God’s grace, after which man remained in his “natural” condition, his nature not harmed but only brought into disorder because the flesh, the bodily side, has come to dominate over the spiritual side; original sin in this view consists in the fact that the guilt before God of Adam and Eve has passed to all men.

The other tendency in the West sees in original sin the complete perversion of human nature and its corruption to its very depths, to its very foundations (the view accepted by Luther and Calvin). As for the newer sects of Protestantism, reacting in their turn against the extremes of Luther, they have gone as far as the complete denial of original, inherited sin.

The reason why I think this background is important is because it explains the basis by which each Christian confession understands Salvation and how Salvation was effected by Christ. "Justification" is one aspect of the dogma of Salvation.

Generally the debate surrounding Salvation between "the East" and "the West" centers on the doctrine of penal substitutionary atonement. I think it is correct to say that this doctrine is entirely logical, as long as one takes as one's premises the view of original sin above. Man's ancestor transgressed against God. Man has inherited the guilt for his ancestor's transgression and therefore must be punished. As Anselm of Canterbury maintained, because God is omnipotent, any transgression against God is infinitely offensive, and man, therefore, does not have the wherewithal to pay. I think an analogy would be a debtor's prison (which I imagine existed in Anselm's day). Because an inmate of a debtor's prison cannot pay what he owes, he will remain in debtor's prison until some benefactor takes mercy on him and "justifies him" (i.e. makes him "right" with the one to whom is owed). This doctrine makes perfect logical sense, I think, under the Western premises surrounding original sin (excepting, of course, who don't believe that original sin exists).

However, the Orthodox Christian view of original sin - called ancestral sin in Orthodox theology - is much different:

After his first fall, man himself departed in soul from God and became unreceptive to the Grace of God which was opened to him; he ceased to listen to the Divine voice addressed to him, and this led to the further deepening of sin in him.

However, God has never deprived mankind of His mercy, help, Grace, and especially His chosen people; and from this people there came forth great righteous men such as Moses, Elijah, Elisha, and the later prophets ...

But the Old Testament righteous ones could not escape the general lot of fallen mankind after death, remaining in the darkness of hell, until the founding of the Heavenly Church — that is, until the Resurrection and Ascension of Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ destroyed the gates of hell and opened the way into the Kingdom of Heaven.

One must not see the essence of sin — including original sin — only in the dominance of the fleshly over the
spiritual, as Roman Catholic theology teaches. Many sinful inclinations, even very serious ones, have to do with qualities of a spiritual order: such, for example, is pride, which, according to the words of the Apostle, is the source, together with lust, of the general sinfulness of the world (I John 2: 15– 16). Sin is also present in evil spirits who have no flesh at all. In Sacred Scripture the word “flesh” signifies a condition of not being reborn, a condition opposed to being reborn in Christ: That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit (John 3: 6). Of course, this is not to deny that a whole series of passions and sinful inclinations originate in bodily nature, which Sacred Scripture also shows (Romans, chap. 7).

Thus, original sin is understood by Orthodox theology as a sinful inclination which has entered into mankind and become its spiritual disease.

The Orthodox doctrine of Salvation is, if I may say, a doctrine of restoration and not castigation. You will probably find the same Scriptures quoted in an Orthodox catechism that you might find in an Protestant one, but they are interpreted in an entirely different light. The passage from 2 Corinthians you pointed out I think expresses the notion of what happens completely: He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21). Salvation enables us, as it were, to be partakers of the Divine Nature (2 Peter 1:4), which is what we were created for but made ourselves incapable of receiving through the pride that led through our fall. Since it is viewed as more than an undergoing of a death penalty, all aspects of Christ's work of Salvation - not just His death, but also His very Incarnation and His Resurrection - are important.

In order to answer your question, "what is the official EO position on 'justification'", I would like to lengthen my already tremendously long answer still further by quoting from the writings of the late Archbishop Dmitri Royster (of blessed memory, as we say).

[Archbishop Dmitri had a very interesting life. He was raised by a strict Baptist mother, but he and his sister as teenagers decided that they wanted to find "the true church". Since they knew that Greek was spoken in the early Church, when they were 14 and 15 they started attending services at the Greek Orthodox Church in Dallas. Because this was in the 30's - decades before any Evangelicals would even consider Orthodoxy - the people in the parish stared at them as if they had come from another planet. Eventually, though, they became catecumens and were chrismated. As a layman, Archbishop Dmitri served as a Japanese translator on Douglas MacArthur's staff and ended up being posted right next door by chance (maybe) to the St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral in Tokyo, across from the imperial palace. He was also fluent in Spanish and was a Spanish literature professor at SMU in Dallas.]

I think the salient points on what "justification" means to Orthodox are stated in Archbishop Dmitri's Commentary on St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans, particularly on Romans 2:13:

The terms "just" (Greek dikaios) and "justified" (dikaioo) are obviously related terms, the first usually being translated as "righteous" and sometimes as "just," and the second as "justify"; a third related word dikaiosyne is most often translated as "righteousness". There exists a problem among interpreters, especially our contemporaries, concerning the relationship among these three: most reject the possibility of translating the verb dikaioo as "to make righteous," using rather "to justify," and doing so in a juridical sense, that is, as of being acquitted of guilt before God's tribunal.

It is a fundamental tenet of the faith that any righteousness or justification of a man is the fruit of God's grace poured out on him by the work of Jesus Christ, which culminates in the sacrifice of the Cross and Resurrection (2 Corinthians 1:9-10; Philippians 3:9-10). This granting of grace is the work of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:9). Misunderstanding seems to arise from opposing God's act of justifying or "rendering a man righteous" to the attainment of righteousness (1 John 3:7) by the man of faith. A man is not a passive recipient of God's grace; his or her response to God's gift is the "doing" of good works. As the Apostle points out to the Ephesians (2:8) we have been saved (His part) by faith (our part); we have become a new creation (2:10) specifically for good works.

He further comments on justification in the Orthodox sense when discussing Romans 3:24 (Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ):

While "justified" [viz. dikaioumenoi, "being justified"], "acquitted," or any other more or less legal term may be used to describe the state resulting from God's saving act, it seems proper to insist that man's restoration consists of his being given back a "right" [same word in Greek as "just", dikaios] relationship with God. God, always being "right" in His dealings with men, bestows upon men the possibility of having a right relationship to Him.

At this point when I usually have these discussions with knowledgable people, the vers-o-graphs come out with the requisite counter-proof texts. I'd rather not go down that route if possible, but certainly would be interested in what you agree and disagree with in all this.

Upvote 0