Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The truth, as often, is that things aren’t as clear as some people want to make it.

1. There are differing uses of justification in the NT, though Paul uses it most. Catholics and Protestants thus define it differently. That leads to some (but not all) of the disagreements between them.

2. Even within Paul it’s used for a range of meanings. E.g.
* In Rom 2:20 and 4:2 it refers to someone who is recognized as righteous. It’s not specifically referring to the act of declaring them righteous, but how we know they are righteous.
* In Rom 3:30 it refers to God either making or declaring someone righteous. I think in differing passages it emphasizes one or the other of those.

While a legal meaning of declaring righteous is certainly part of the meaning, it doesn’t make sense to force all of the uses into that one meaning.

I also think there’s an non-legal reading of “making righteous.” Certainly a legal declaration is part of it. But Paul’s primary reading of the atonement is in Rom 6. It is that though union with Christ, in faith, we die with Christ to sin and rise to new life. This goes beyond a legal fiction, and includes real change. Not that we earn anything, of course, but that through union with Christ in faith he is really present in our lives. This is shown in behavior, but that goes beyond the question of the definition of justification, to the broader question of how justification fits into salvation. In this posting I will say only that justification by faith alone doesn’t mean salvation by faith alone, because justification is only part of salvation.

Of course the range of meanings to justification are closely connected. If we are made righteous through the means of faith, then we can also be recognized as God’s people by our faith. I doubt that Paul clearly distinguished between these meanings. Parts of the range have been (over)emphasized by the New Perspective, Lutheranism, and Calvin, respectively. Wright sees justification as how we know that someone is one of God’s people. Lutherans see it as declaring us righteousness as a legal act with no basis in us. Calvin (though not necessarily all of Reformed tradition) is closer to Rom 6, seeing a basis in what he calls our “mystical union” with Christ, based on faith.

This posting speaks only of Pauline usage. I think there is some basis in James’ usage for the traditional Catholic definition, in which justification refers to the whole restoration of God’s image in us. Using that definition, of course, it is quite right that justification is not by faith alone. On the other hand, it’s not clear to me that justification has the central role for James that it does for Paul, so it may make sense to use Paul’s definition when it comes down to technical theology.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was trying to respond to the OP in this thread:

I would like to explore this argument, but first I would like to verify what definitions are assumed. I first asked the author, then the thread participants, how they define "justification", but no one responded.

I would be interested in hearing how anyone in this forum that agrees with the above argument defines "justification".

Thank you.

Justification is more a legal term: being just, fair, righteous, treating everyone equally, being consistent and Loving to everyone.

I fully agree that the use of the word “justification” by Paul and James might be in a broad sense and I cannot cover all the uses in one post.

Christ stand’s “justified” before God, but would Christ’s justification somehow just transfer to us?

Is God “providing” a way for us to be justified through what Christ did, so do we, like Abraham in offering up Isaac have a part to play?

If man “does” nothing and Christ does everything in the justification of a person than why can’t all people stand justified before God?

In God providing a way for all humans to stand justified before God and the fact that not all humans will stand justified before God, is there some determining factor?

Some seem to be calling this determining factor: “Faith”, but the “faith” of others (Abraham, Abel, Noah, Enoch) included action, so what “action” is included in our faith that justifies us before God?

Romans3 has already been brought up so I will start there:

Ro. 3: 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

Do we all agree that God has always been righteous and just, so how was God’s righteousness (justice) not being seen in the “past”, like it is being seen in the present time?

What time is Paul talking about with “beforehand”, is that talking about before Christ’s blood was shed?

What sins where left “unpunished” and since Paul is speaking after the cross would that not mean they are still “unpunished”?

Is Paul drawing a contrast between the way “forgiven” sins were handle before the cross and after the cross?

Describe the active faith you must have in Christ to feel and stand “justified”, before the Father you have openly been intentionally rebelliously disobedient toward?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
JChrist stand’s “justified” before God, but would Christ’s justification somehow just transfer to us?

To my knowledge, Paul never talks about Christ as justified. None of its meanings really apply to him. He doesn’t need to be set right with God.

Is God “providing” a way for us to be justified through what Christ did, so do we, like Abraham in offering up Isaac have a part to play?

If man “does” nothing and Christ does everything in the justification of a person than why can’t all people stand justified before God?

In God providing a way for all humans to stand justified before God and the fact that not all humans will stand justified before God, is there some determining factor?

Some seem to be calling this determining factor: “Faith”, but the “faith” of others (Abraham, Abel, Noah, Enoch) included action, so what “action” is included in our faith that justifies us before God?

It’s worth looking both at Paul and Jesus. Jesus talked a lot about being a follower. That was his key concept, corresponding roughly to Paul’s faith. Looking through Romans, for places where we can get a sense what faith means:
* In Rom 4, it seems to be trust and reliance of God.
* In Rom 10:17 it comes from hearing the Word
* In Rom 14:22 it is conviction
* In Rom 16:26 it is obedience
As with the other key concepts, this is a range of meanings. But I would say that taken together they are similar to Jesus’ concept of being a follower. They are all things that describe someone who is committed to Christ.

Is it an action? Actions certainly follow, but I think it’s some at a more basic level. It’s the basic commitment of our lives. Both Jesus and Paul seem to see the world as made up of two kinds of people: followers and “sinners.” God is forgiving, and he accepts all who are repentant, even if they have to repent of the same things seven times a day. He does expect to see results. Hence all of those parables aboutt judgement. But Jesus’ basic principle is that the good tree produces good fruit, so we start by making sure that our basic commitment is right. I think Paul is the same.

What time is Paul talking about with “beforehand”, is that talking about before Christ’s blood was shed?

Yes, I think so. God was always willing to accept those who repent and follow him. Jesus said at the last supper that his blood was for the new covenant. That’s generally understood as Jer 34:34. Jeremiah surely didn’t mean that no one was saved until the future time when the new covenant was established.

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
To my knowledge, Paul never talks about Christ as justified. None of its meanings really apply to him. He doesn’t need to be set right with God.

It’s worth looking both at Paul and Jesus. Jesus talked a lot about being a follower. That was his key concept, corresponding roughly to Paul’s faith. Looking through Romans, for places where we can get a sense what faith means:
* In Rom 4, it seems to be trust and reliance of God.
* In Rom 10:17 it comes from hearing the Word
* In Rom 14:22 it is conviction
* In Rom 16:26 it is obedience
As with the other key concepts, this is a range of meanings. But I would say that taken together they are similar to Jesus’ concept of being a follower. They are all things that describe someone who is committed to Christ.

Is it an action? Actions certainly follow, but I think it’s some at a more basic level. It’s the basic commitment of our lives. Both Jesus and Paul seem to see the world as made up of two kinds of people: followers and “sinners.” God is forgiving, and he accepts all who are repentant, even if they have to repent of the same things seven times a day. He does expect to see results. Hence all of those parables aboutt judgement. But Jesus’ basic principle is that the good tree produces good fruit, so we start by making sure that our basic commitment is right. I think Paul is the same.

Yes, I think so. God was always willing to accept those who repent and follow him. Jesus said at the last supper that his blood was for the new covenant. That’s generally understood as Jer 34:34. Jeremiah surely didn’t mean that no one was saved until the future time when the new covenant was established.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does regeneration occur at the same time? Or, is regeneration something that is part of justification?

Hi Larry, I think the real question must be, does regeneration precede "faith" (because "faith" necessarily precedes justification ... as we are "justified by faith" .. Romans 3:28). Even from the Arminian point of view that would seem a necessity, or coming to faith could be nothing more than a "blind" choice (John 3:3) made by a "dead" person (Ephesians 2:1-3) yes?

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
At least in the Reformed tradition, “regeneration” is used in two different senses.

One sense is based on the idea that no one can even respond to God’s offer until they have been enabled to do so by God’s gracious activity. Regeneration in that sense occurs before faith. Since justification is based on faith, it occurs before justification.

However I’m always wary of people who set exact sequences for events, assumed to occur the same for everyone. It’s probably best to think of this as a matter of logical dependence and necessarily a temporal order. Again using the Reformed concept, God could well generate faith in someone in the same activity that regenerates them. Regeneration, faith and justification might occur at the same time. However logically faith would still depend upon regeneration and justification upon faith. Indeed I suspect this is typical.

But Paul doesn’t speak of things in this kind of technical way. I noted above that he uses justification in different ways. If justification is being set right with God, you could reasonably argue that God initially accepts us, and the regeneration and faith are both consequences of God’s acceptance. Thus in some sense you could put justification first. I’m just not sure these kinds of argument are useful.

Regeneration is used in a different sense within the Reformed tradition as well. In this sense it refers to bringing ourselves into conformity with Christ. In this sense it clearly follows faith, being another way of referring to what is often called sanctification.

Some of our Reformed folk insist on the need for regeneration to occur before anything in us, even faith. But they are clearly referring to the first meaning of regeneration. Saying that amendment of life (regeneration in the second sense) occurs first would certainly not be a Reformed doctrine.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Hendrick :) I agree that most of this "technical" stuff is way less important for us to know! It is, however, interesting to consider, since I believe it can be helpful in acquiring a deeper understanding of the more important truths that really do matter.

Also, regeneration's second tier/sense, "sanctification", is something I was never aware of as a Reformed teaching. Where can I find it?

Thanks! And again, excellent points and nice post :)

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Of course, of Gerald's final point in the article,

"For Calvin, to be regenerated is to be renewed into the image of God throughout the duration of one's life--to run a lifelong race of repentance. No lasting fruit, no connection to the root.",
Calvin, I believe, would also be quick to point out, "no lasting fruit, never had a connection to the root (IOW, no regeneration to begin with)", as he clearly and unabashedly states "We are justified by faith ALONE ..." (see the Calvin quote in my signature line below). What Gerald says of Calvin above seems very James-like (James 2:14-26), so I certainly agree with him.

Regeneration then, which results in faith, which results in us being made into new creatures in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17), is the proximate cause of our "lifelong race of repentance" and of our bearing of "fruit" (Ephesians 2:10). So I would think that Calvin would still give the nod to the primary importance of the first sense of regeneration rather than to the second (but I'll have to look into it a little more carefully, of course).

It all seems to rest upon our knowing Him (Matthew 7:23), and knowing Him (rests) upon our first receiving a God-given ability to do so (John 3:3, 1 Corinthians 2:12-16). So I still find myself asking why/how Arminianism can teach that 'faith precedes regeneration' (rather than the other way around) if all of this is true (but that lands us right back in the "technical" thicket again, doesn't it ^_^).

Sorry :doh:

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That is an interesting article. I have never heard anyone say that regeneration is a continuous process.

Here is an excellent article from R. C. Sproul that BookishGirl (a fellow CF member) just shared with me about the subject that Hendrick just broached. Click here to read it.

Also, here is another very short article by the same author concerning regeneration preceding faith. Click here if you'd like to read that as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I still find myself asking why/how Arminianism can teach that 'faith precedes regeneration' (rather than the other way around) if all of this is true (but that lands us right back in the "technical" thicket again, doesn't it ^_^).

It's simple. According to Peter, we find the following -

1 Peter 1:23
having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

Since we are born again (regenerated) through the living word, do you think the absence of faith will profit a man who reads the word? Faith comes by hearing (or understanding) and hearing (understanding) by the word of God. How is it, a man can obtain faith without understanding the word first?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Calvin has a different perspective than many modern Christians. For him, God looked on us, and despite the fall, still saw himself in us. He wanted to restore his image. So that’s the real purpose of redemption, and its what defines regeneration. For a lot of Christians, it seems like the main purpose for Christ is to keep us personally out of hell. So the big problem of theology is to figure out at what moment enough us been done to do that.

This not to deny the priority of God’s action in us before we can have faith. But the term regeneration suggests to me restoration, and we’re not really restored until our lives have changed.

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Calvin has a different perspective than many modern Christians. For him, God looked on us, and despite the fall, still saw himself in us. He wanted to restore his image. So that’s the real purpose of redemption, and its what defines regeneration. For a lot of Christians, it seems like the main purpose for Christ is to keep us personally out of hell. So the big problem of theology is to figure out at what moment enough us been done to do that.

This not to deny the priority of God’s action in us before we can have faith. But the term regeneration suggests to me restoration, and we’re not really restored until our lives have changed.

Upvote 0