How Is A Christian Lady Supposed to Dress?

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But its always my earnest prayer, that the Holy Spirit put the spirit of absolute obedience and faith in the heart of my hearers, for their own eternal good.

I've heard exactly the same things between many Christians whose interpretation of the Bible differs significantly...

There are thousands of denominations out there and even within a denomination, teachings of the same subject can vary.

Even if everyone had good intentions. You can't all be listening from the same "spirit" with all the significant differences in teaching and most of you are actually deceived.

Upvote 0

emekrus

The Righteousness and Faith Preacher
Apr 13, 2015
Nigeria
Visit site
✟22,317.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard exactly the same things between many Christians whose interpretation of the Bible differs significantly...

There are thousands of denominations out there and even within a denomination, teachings of the same subject can vary.

Even if everyone had good intentions. You can't all be listening from the same "spirit" with all the significant differences in teaching and most of you are actually deceived.

Yes, the chances are, anyone, including myself can be deceived. And that is why every revelation I get, I compare it undilutedly with what is written in the scriptures. If there is 100% agreement, I accept, but if there is discrepancies, after much meditation by wisdom and in the spirit, I reject. And that is one of the reasons I don't give in to bible commentaries bcos their comments are subjective.

Then as for my teachings, I don't expect anyone to take my word for it- I expect that like the Berea Christians, after getting my message. Or the message of anyone for that matter, they should go back to their bible and the Holy Spirit in them, to confirm the veracity.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness).” 1 Timothy 2: 9-10

At a particular time, as I studied my scripture, this very scripture above, struck a chord in my spirit (witness of the Spirit). But I’m so confused as to why so many Christian ladies neglect its application in their dress code.

Worse of all, so many Christian leaders seem to be silent concerning this particular scripture. You know, we still see so many Christian sisters, dress so worldly in aberration to the above scripture. We still see sisters wear immodest attires around, even to the Church.

I think Paul is telling women they need to dress decently and with modesty, not to distract people with the cut of their clothes, show off by wearing expensive clothes and masses of jewellery and not to try to make a fashion statement or imply class and superiority by what they are wearing. Our hearts need to be right before God - if we are dressing to feel superior, look rich or boast, then we are concerning ourselves more with the comments of men (people) rather than devoting our time and worship to God.

On the other hand, some people wear low cut/short/backless dresses and tops because that is how they dress all the time, to express who they are. If that's the case, I suppose they should be allowed to dress that way for church too - otherwise we are giving out the message that a person has to dress up for church, wear outfits they may be uncomfortable with and be someone else before God. That would be equally wrong.

We still see Christian women adorn themselves with gold, pearl (Jewelries). Braid (Plait) their hair. Even wear costly arrays, yet no one seems to see anything wrong with it, except a few leaders that I know.

It's not wrong though.
Wedding rings are almost always made of gold, and pearls are no more showy, and may be cheaper, than diamonds, emeralds, sapphires etc, all of which can be found in rings, bracelets or earrings. Some women wear their hair in dreadlocks, which is a cultural thing rather than about fashion, I think. Yet if a woman has long hair and wants to wear it in a plait, there's nothing wrong with that.

These Christian leaders that are allowing the sisters in their Churches to dress as they like, without any form of instruction, especially from the above scripture, is it that God told them, he has changed his mind concerning that injunction from Paul?

Women should be able to dress as they like and depending on how they feel comfortable. For myself, I don't like skirts that are above the knee, nor do I like low necklines, so I don't wear them. Some would applaud that, others find it prudish. Some women might say; "what's wrong with a low neckline; people should look at my face, not what's below it." Others would not want to wear/do anything which might distract/offend another person. We are in church/Christian meetings to worship God and learn, not to judge other people on their wardrobes.
But fashion and style of dress is very different now to what it was then. Paul says nothing about dresses, skirts, suits, shorts, trainers, hats, stockings/tights etc - because they didn't have these things then. The culture is different and what one person regards as smart, another may regard to be immodest.

Well, I’m not here to display any form of holier-than-thou attitude. After all, I want to make heaven, and God has told me that the only way for me to be saved, is to give myself fully to the doctrines of the scripture and also teach them to others to be saved as well (1Timothy 4: 16).

Yes but salvation is through Jesus alone - wearing "the correct clothes" is not part of salvation and has nothing to do with it. And I'm not suggesting you disobey Scripture, but the NT does contain some things that were written to the churches that Paul had visited and had contact with, and are cultural, and do not necessarily have to be applied today. For example, this same passage says that it is disgraceful for a man to have long hair - but how long is long? Nape of the neck? Collar length? Shoulder length? How long was Jesus' hair? Personally, I think this is another cultural thing and doesn't matter today - a man could be a true, born again, Spirit filled, devout and sincere Christian, and yet have shoulder length hair, or maybe long enough to wear in a pony tail. We can't judge by appearances.
Also, if church leaders have to preach on attire for women "because the NT says so", then equally they should be willing to preach on the length of a man's hair - and the passages that say that men should raise their hands in worship and that we should all greet one another with a brotherly kiss.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul is telling women they need to dress decently and with modesty, not to distract people with the cut of their clothes, show off by wearing expensive clothes and masses of jewellery and not to try to make a fashion statement or imply class and superiority by what they are wearing. Our hearts need to be right before God - if we are dressing to feel superior, look rich or boast, then we are concerning ourselves more with the comments of men (people) rather than devoting our time and worship to God.

On the other hand, some people wear low cut/short/backless dresses and tops because that is how they dress all the time, to express who they are. If that's the case, I suppose they should be allowed to dress that way for church too - otherwise we are giving out the message that a person has to dress up for church, wear outfits they may be uncomfortable with and be someone else before God. That would be equally wrong.

It's not wrong though.
Wedding rings are almost always made of gold, and pearls are no more showy, and may be cheaper, than diamonds, emeralds, sapphires etc, all of which can be found in rings, bracelets or earrings. Some women wear their hair in dreadlocks, which is a cultural thing rather than about fashion, I think. Yet if a woman has long hair and wants to wear it in a plait, there's nothing wrong with that.

Women should be able to dress as they like and depending on how they feel comfortable. For myself, I don't like skirts that are above the knee, nor do I like low necklines, so I don't wear them. Some would applaud that, others find it prudish. Some women might say; "what's wrong with a low neckline; people should look at my face, not what's below it." Others would not want to wear/do anything which might distract/offend another person. We are in church/Christian meetings to worship God and learn, not to judge other people on their wardrobes.
But fashion and style of dress is very different now to what it was then. Paul says nothing about dresses, skirts, suits, shorts, trainers, hats, stockings/tights etc - because they didn't have these things then. The culture is different and what one person regards as smart, another may regard to be immodest.

Yes but salvation is through Jesus alone - wearing "the correct clothes" is not part of salvation and has nothing to do with it. And I'm not suggesting you disobey Scripture, but the NT does contain some things that were written to the churches that Paul had visited and had contact with, and are cultural, and do not necessarily have to be applied today. For example, this same passage says that it is disgraceful for a man to have long hair - but how long is long? Nape of the neck? Collar length? Shoulder length? How long was Jesus' hair? Personally, I think this is another cultural thing and doesn't matter today - a man could be a true, born again, Spirit filled, devout and sincere Christian, and yet have shoulder length hair, or maybe long enough to wear in a pony tail. We can't judge by appearances.
Also, if church leaders have to preach on attire for women "because the NT says so", then equally they should be willing to preach on the length of a man's hair - and the passages that say that men should raise their hands in worship and that we should all greet one another with a brotherly kiss.

Strong in Him:

Good points.

The idea is of the inner godliness causing an outer restraint, I think.

Blessings.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

KimT

Saved by Grace
Jan 30, 2015
Florida
✟949.00
Faith
Methodist

It's not wrong though.

Excellent post.

I've been led to dress a certain way that is not offensive. I am a woman and have very short hair because I have a medical problem that prevents me from caring for long hair. I also wear loose clothing for comfort.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Excellent post.

I've been led to dress a certain way that is not offensive. I am a woman and have very short hair because I have a medical problem that prevents me from caring for long hair. I also wear loose clothing for comfort.
KimT:

Seems like it's getting really popular for women to do a close trim by the ears and neck, anyway:

images
flickrhivemind dot net

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness).” 1 Timothy 2: 9-10

At a particular time, as I studied my scripture, this very scripture above, struck a chord in my spirit (witness of the Spirit). But I’m so confused as to why so many Christian ladies neglect its application in their dress code.

Worse of all, so many Christian leaders seem to be silent concerning this particular scripture. You know, we still see so many Christian sisters, dress so worldly in aberration to the above scripture. We still see sisters wear immodest attires around, even to the Church.

We still see Christian women adorn themselves with gold, pearl (Jewelries). Braid (Plait) their hair. Even wear costly arrays, yet no one seems to see anything wrong with it, except a few leaders that I know.

It amazed me the most, that even when I talked to lady minister concerning this scripture, her only defense was that, it was the Apostle Paul’s peculiar perspective. Then she also added, that if I preached that kind of doctrine in my Church, that people will not come.

Yes, sure enough, I believe if I preach this doctrine in its unadulterated form, many sisters (even bothers) will stop coming-although I’m not interested in only quantity, but also in quality-But the question that I’ve kept battling with-and I’m yet to get satisfying answer to is…

These Christian leaders that are allowing the sisters in their Churches to dress as they like, without any form of instruction, especially from the above scripture, is it that God told them, he has changed his mind concerning that injunction from Paul?

Or do they also hold the same opinion with the female preacher I consulted, that it was only Paul’s opinion then, and that it does not apply now?

Well, I’m not here to display any form of holier-than-thou attitude. After all, I want to make heaven, and God has told me that the only way for me to be saved, is to give myself fully to the doctrines of the scripture and also teach them to others to be saved as well (1Timothy 4: 16).

So please, I’m not here for any form of argument. I want you to spiritually and scripturally ponder over this scripture above by the Holy Spirit in you, and give me your opinion.

Please, let’s lay aside other people’s commentaries, unless you deem it fit, by the Spirit. Pls, let’s speak as one who will give account of our words on the Day of Judgment.

Honestly and spiritually, what do you make of this scripture above?

I’m open-Hearted to Learn.
In such a way that does not cause her brothers to stumble.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
KimT:

Seems like it's getting really popular for women to do a close trim by the ears and neck, anyway:

images
flickrhivemind dot net

That's how I cut my hair!:oldthumbsup: I cut the top a little shorter though. My avatar is how it looks after three to four weeks.

Doesn't matter what women's hairdos they are lovely the same, well except for those really weird hairdos you see in MTVs!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums