How do you know when God is calling you to do something?

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Christians talk about glorified callings, but in the reality of life, everyone has to do the dishes and take out the garbage. Noah had an ark in his yard for years, while his kids grew older and small storms came and went.

God is not in a panic to get you into a calling. He will not hate you if you got confused or made mistakes. His love is everlasting to those who fear Him.

Most cases I have heard of callings took years to form into a visible and solid ministry. God made you with caution logic, growth & development stages, wisdom to prepare, He knows your lack of resources and your living situation. He knows how many hairs are on your head. He knows that sickness and family events will slow down your ideas.

If you are anxious to move out, why don't you look for a live-in nanny job? Or find a group of friends you can share a house with. If not, then find a library where you can feel comfortable working in, and researching your goals. Most libraries in the US have wireless internet access.

As others said above, make sure that you're not coming up with a religious goal out of fear that God won't accept you unless your work has a Christian label. If all the Christians clustered in religious work, there would be rare contact with the outside world, and those outside the faith would never hear of God's mercy.

One word of advice (lol, one) -- if you KNOW God is calling you to something, make sure you don't reason your way out of it, thinking it's impossible. Rely on Him to make a way. Sometimes we battle with not having time or convenience or quiet space, and then end up spending time starting other projects that lead to nothing.

The most important thing to Him -- that you keep communicating with Him.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
downtown downing - did you see this? I guess i could get a job but thats not my goal,

Jenniferd828, if money isn't a problem for you that's wonderful. Perhaps if you gave us a hint about what you want to do, we would be able to offer more suggestions. I'm assuming since the response was so brief that we're not even close. Sorry.

Upvote 0

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
i am trying to find God's face, i want to be in his presence all the time. he's mysterious. lol and its fun. i guess i want the easy way in and out. i am trying to leave everything behind and follow God completely. like a journey that never ends. like spend time in the wilderness, face the dangers of this world. go to places i never been. discover myself while being in his presence. i am kind of a selfish person haha i know God loves everyone but i want him all to myself....i want his heart, his mind...i want to know him completely....

i am glad i laid down my life and gave my heart to him...i've been trying to do that for a long time...but i finally did it and it feels great...to dedicate yourself to the lord completely...i know you might say you dont have to leave everything and everyone behind but i think differently, i feel like i have to....and need to for God...i love my parents, family but God is more important because he was the one who bought us in this world and he was here first so i feel like i am going to dedicate myself to him completely..i have to do it right....and right now i just feel like i need to do things to overcome the things that bother me the most...i dont know if God is calling me or not but it could be anything i guess...it could be bad or good..i dont know....i just dont know how to get there if i am being called....and once something enters my mind, its hard to get out esp. if it has something to do with God....

my life is crazy..i am crazy hahaha...i am fixated on the lord...but i know what i have to do for sure, leave....because if i dont i will never learn for my own...and like i said i can wait and pray, weather i am being called or not, i dont know, if i am, thats great, if not, then thats fine, but i still need to leave everything and let God see i am faithful.....and i feel bad asking for advice sometimes because i feel like it offens God....esp. when its a personal relationship.... :/

and if i do get a job, it will only be to help myself get and family and do certain activies.....because they are poor and need the money..but if its me, well it is me..lol it doesnt bother me so much not having a job or the finest things....i just want to feel alive and be free.....i kinda already..i just feel like something is missing...and i want God to give me all the answer haha.....

also i do communicate with him but sometimes i dont say much because i feel like i am already connected and he knows what i want....and when i try to talk to him sometimes i dont know what the say because i dont want to say the wrong things...its weird...i am weird...but i will do that more...

but one things for sure i do love God... and will do whatever it takes to find him and be in his presence.....even if it means risking my ownself and life..and overcome my weakness..i guess i need to learn to help myself and stop complaining so much... and grow up...and be STRONG...see i already knew those things....lol but thanks for building me up a bit...it helped...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Did you read the chapters I gave you about how God
called/commissioned different people in the Bible?

Have you spoken to your minister or to a mature Christian at church about your dilemma?
What advice did you get?

i am trying to do that but i get lazy reading....lol gosh i hope that dont sound bad....i guess i am trying to do it my own way...

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't make myself clear on leaving everything and everyone. Yes our lives should be different once we become believers and then be lived dedicated to Yahweh.

Of course, as believers we have The Holy Spirit. Additionally, you can be in His presence just as much as you want to. Suggest having a notebook and pen close by. Then get our minds off ourselves and others. Spending more time with Him to deliberately focus on Him by thanksgiving and praises to Him, and then meditating on Scripture such as Psa 145 and thinking about some of His titles, names, and attributes and playing some music that's about Him and singing a song to an audience of One. Matt 6:6; John 4:24; Psa 69:30; 71:23; and 100:4, I Thess 5:17.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i don't know. lol..it must have something to do with that or else i wouldnt be feeling that way and God wouldnt be calling me..this thought is also in my head because i keep seeing shooting stars and eagles i think...maybe its all in my head but i don't know...this been going on for months..i laid down my life and gave my heart to God, and the problem is that i am afraid to lift my cross back up if i said that right..lol...i am trying to follow Jesus but i cant because my parents think i am crazy, see its wierd with my parents, i dont even want to talk about that but yeah i am different from my family. i just dont understand. i mean nothing would make me more happy then to do things for God, but how does one do that when you can't get around and is stuck in the house everyday? i was thinking of running away but i have many problems, i am scared of a lot of things, but i am really scared i will miss my calling if there is one. and i am trying not to break the commandments, but i can't just sit in the house all day doing nothing, how can i discover myself if i am stuck in the house, there i said it again i am stuck in the house..lol i am 28 btw, i want to move out but my mom said girls shouldnt live alone i mean if thats the case with them i will be stuck in the house forever because i gave my heart to God and dont want a boyfriend or to get married with anyone.

Maybe its me. But my parents definitely put me in a lot of stress
(a affectionate and kind chuckle.) I was determined I would never get married. 5 kids and 25 years of marriage later, I will assure you that God's plans for us, are not always the same plans we have for ourselves. In fact, I was determined I was called to be a missionary overseas, to orphans that needed both teacher and mother. Today, I am studying and writing about God's Love and anxious to see what God does with that obedience to His call on my life.

So, here is the best advice I can give you. Trust God with whatever path He takes you down. Be faithful in the calling He has for you today (witnessing to your family). Allow Him to move you when He is ready. He will move you when He needs you moved, pray, trust, and Love Him with your patience. When opportunity arises, step out on faith, and see where His mighty arm takes you.

May you find the peace you seek, the confidence you need, and the strength to live and accept whatever God's will is for you.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess i could get a job but thats not my goal, my goal is just to get closer to God and seek him with all my heart but the things i have in my mind are not normal haha i am just afraid to get off the wrong path, hopefully i am not even on the wrong path. i know he is already with me but i feel like i sould be doing something, and i just dont know how to get there...yet i really dont care about nothing anymore..i am just a girl trying to do things in the world without living in the world anymore..too bad i can't fly..lol or teleport...i just want to be on a journey.. :) and discover myself while being in God's presence
One thing I have learned, is that God wants us to succeed at obedience as much or more than we do. That translates into stepping out in faith, if we have it wrong, He will pull us back to the path He desires for us. The key is to trust Him even when it doesn't seem to make since, to wait in Love for Him, then, when we hear Him, step out and allow Him to move us if we need moved.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have identified some things from scripture about calling...

1. Calling glorifies God
2. Calling is based on the gift/gifts God has given you...think equipping us for the task He has called us to do.
3. Calling is that thing which you are compelled by God to do...think Paul where he talks about being compelled to preach the gospel...calling is something you do with or without pay, with or without reward, it is that thing you make opportunity to do.
4. God opens the door for that thing to happen, the opportunities arise, and all we have to do, is step out in faith.

Thought that might help. Even in growing in our relationship with God, these things all apply, I think way to many times, we try to be something we are not, rather than simply trusting God to make us what pleases Him. Just a thought for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
its not uncommon to be called by Jesus to greater things.. that's all i can add. Whether what you're hearing is Jesus, is something only you can know at this moment
yeah thanks...i just hope i'm not being delusional....whatever that means...i appreciate everyone for giving me advice in this thread...thanks...

Upvote 0

Jere209

Legend
Jul 24, 2007
Being propped up by His hands
✟40,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like God is calling me to do something, i ponder on this everyday, but i can't figure it out and i dont know what to do. and whats even worst i am stuck in my parents house so i can't discover for myself...should i just wait on him or make some kind of move?
Hi Jennifer :wave:
That's awesome that you feel that God is calling you to do something special for His kingdom. I have some questions for you, and I am not sure if they were asked and you answered, but I will ask again anyway :)

Do you attend church? Do you attend a Bible study on a regular basis? And since you've felt this calling, have you spent any extra time in prayer about it?

Being in church is something that would help you tremendously. Many times when God calls someone, years could pass before it comes to pass. God rarely reveals our future to us. Many times He will give us rare glimpses :), to encourage us, to prepare us, etc. And this is probably a time when you have been given a glimpse. This is probably a time of preparation for you. And that preparation time is very important.

I do know that eagles are a symbol of power in the eyes of many, but really when you study eagles in the Bible, you will find they mean more than that.

Before I go further, I will wait for your reply.
God bless
Jere

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Jennifer :wave:
That's awesome that you feel that God is calling you to do something special for His kingdom. I have some questions for you, and I am not sure if they were asked and you answered, but I will ask again anyway :)

Do you attend church? Do you attend a Bible study on a regular basis? And since you've felt this calling, have you spent any extra time in prayer about it?

Being in church is something that would help you tremendously. Many times when God calls someone, years could pass before it comes to pass. God rarely reveals our future to us. Many times He will give us rare glimpses :), to encourage us, to prepare us, etc. And this is probably a time when you have been given a glimpse. This is probably a time of preparation for you. And that preparation time is very important.

I do know that eagles are a symbol of power in the eyes of many, but really when you study eagles in the Bible, you will find they mean more than that.

Before I go further, I will wait for your reply.
God bless
Jere
i dont go to church that much...i dont even know if i am being called, i just want to know how you know you are......
LOL! maybe it is just me looking for stuff and meaning.. haha actually i never really been outside before..i never went out much so maybe i am going too far with everything...i am probably over-reacting.....but it has to be God, i always see shooting stars ..they are everywhere i go...i m getting addicted to them...lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kanata1988

Feb 17, 2012
✟7,617.00
Faith
Protestant
Hi Jennifer, I think you should just do something with your talent. If your talent is to sing, then be a singer. If your talent is to write, then be a writer.

Your talent is given by God, and He must have some purpose by giving you your talent.

Don't be afraid to take a step, because when you take a wrong step, He will block your path and force you to take the right step.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In the NT 'calling' has a specific usage.

Our word 'Vocation' was not part of NT society. The NT Christians would not understand that term as we use it. We generally use the term 'calling' in the sense of a religious vocation. It has become an 'in house' term.

We are to walk in God's will and life, not in some 'occupation' or even ministry.

The underlying Greek word means a) "to name' and b) the language of invitation, and c) derived from b) where a patron 'calls' a client, in the Roman Empire. c) is virtually a summons and this is how it is understood in the NT, God calling us to Himself.

1 Cor 1:9 God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. NIV. It is thus relational rather than vocational.

1 Cor 1:26 26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. NIV Again nothing to do with vocation, but identity with Christ within community.

1 Cor 7:17-24 Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. 18 Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to. NIV

Here we see Christians being admonished to demonstrate the life of Christ here they were, again calling is about following God.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
I could be a writer but i don't know, that comes naturally...i thought about that a few years ago though..i get writers block a lot...lol i never finish what i start....to be honest always felt connected to something but i could never find out what it was....until i got closer to God....and i feel like i did the right thing...i love Jesus. he is special...i feel connected to him when i gave my heart to him....my life...i dont know where i am going all i know is that i am not going down that road again..i feel better now...knowing you can be alone without actually being alone....i am just glad i did what i did....obeying God following him and just expierencing life with him is fun....like i was thinking of doing some ballet because when you feel good you just want to dance and be free....i want to be free feel alive....its a great feeling..i

Upvote 0

jenniferd828

Jun 12, 2011
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
In the NT 'calling' has a specific usage.

Our word 'Vocation' was not part of NT society. The NT Christians would not understand that term as we use it. We generally use the term 'calling' in the sense of a religious vocation. It has become an 'in house' term.

We are to walk in God's will and life, not in some 'occupation' or even ministry.

The underlying Greek word means a) "to name' and b) the language of invitation, and c) derived from b) where a patron 'calls' a client, in the Roman Empire. c) is virtually a summons and this is how it is understood in the NT, God calling us to Himself.

1 Cor 1:9 God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful. NIV. It is thus relational rather than vocational.

1 Cor 1:26 26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. NIV Again nothing to do with vocation, but identity with Christ within community.

1 Cor 7:17-24 Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. 18 Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to. NIV

Here we see Christians being admonished to demonstrate the life of Christ here they were, again calling is about following God.

John
NZ
thats what i am trying to do but i want to feel alive while doing it..

Upvote 0