Hey Bosporus Swim Team, a few quick questions ...

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for all the responses so far.

If I could tack on another question, what was the most difficult doctrine(s) to accept during your conversion?
I was a Confessional, Liturgical Lutheran before I rejected the Lutheran innovations, and began my journey to Holy Orthodoxy.

To answer your last question, I understood Orthodoxy to be the Church commissioned by Christ and enlivened by the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. I can't think of any specific doctrine that tripped me up. If anything, it was the language used in certian services that was a stumbling block for me. Without context, it was hard to understand that some of the praises to the Saints, wasn't taking devotion too far. I would very much recommend you learn the doctrines and language of the Church before you wory about that, though.

You may find this document useful (written by two Lutheran pastors, who later becamy Orthodox Priests.): http://oruaseht.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/wodtcgu.pdf

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never had an inclination to check out the Lutheran Church, but the most difficult doctrine for me during my conversion was in the reverse, sort of. By that I mean that the most difficult doctrine was trying to give up a doctrine, which in my case was Calvinism. It was incredibly difficult to learn to think in a way that was not colored by Calvinism. The two systems are hardly compatible.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mary - I'd spent my whole life having prayer to the Saints (which I got over pretty quickly as part of my conversion involved one) and Mary demonised (quite literally in some cases). It took me a long time of 'God, if this is true, show me' and then 'if you have found favour with God and this is true, please help me' in place of the Marian prayers in my prayerbook. I got there, and now I have a beautiful icon of her where I say my prayers.

Upvote 0

StarOfSorrow

Feb 1, 2013
✟327.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nearly every doctrinal difference between the Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox Churches stem from two factors. 1. The Lutheran Church is a catholic, or western Church which shares its roots with the Roman Catholic Church. The forefathers of the modern Orthodox and the forefathers of the modern Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches underwent the "Great Schism" in the first millennium over Trinitarian doctrine and 2. The Orthodox uphold Apostolic Tradition as a separate means of Church authority, while the Lutheran Church only accepts those tenets of Church Tradition which are upheld by the authority of the Canonical Scriptures. Both are liturgical, historic, sacramentarian Churches. During the Lutheran Reformation, there was much dialogue between the Greek Orthodox and Lutheran theologians as many of their grievances with Roman Catholicism are the same. There were some small, political and doctrinal issues which prevented any formal declaration of union or fellowship. Dialogue continues, and many of the differences between these two historic Churches are simply cultural.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
2. The Orthodox uphold Apostolic Tradition as a separate means of Church authority, while the Lutheran Church only accepts those tenets of Church Tradition which are upheld by the authority of the Canonical Scriptures.
Very close, but there are two small inaccuracies here. A) Apostolic Tradition is not a "separate means" of Church authority. Actually, in Orthodoxy, Biblical authority is part of Apostolic Tradition. B) Lutheran Church only accepts those tenets of Church Tradition which are upheld by their particular interpretation of the subset of the Canonical Scriptures which they recognize.

Reactions: StarOfSorrow
Upvote 0

AndreasProtoklitos

Now with less Sodium!
Nov 8, 2012
Virginia
✟7,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nearly every doctrinal difference between the Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox Churches stem from two factors. 1. The Lutheran Church is a catholic, or western Church which shares its roots with the Roman Catholic Church. The forefathers of the modern Orthodox and the forefathers of the modern Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches underwent the "Great Schism" in the first millennium over Trinitarian doctrine and 2. The Orthodox uphold Apostolic Tradition as a separate means of Church authority, while the Lutheran Church only accepts those tenets of Church Tradition which are upheld by the authority of the Canonical Scriptures.
By what authority do the Lutherans determine what is canonical?

Both are liturgical, historic, sacramentarian Churches. During the Lutheran Reformation, there was much dialogue between the Greek Orthodox and Lutheran theologians as many of their grievances with Roman Catholicism are the same. There were some small, political and doctrinal issues which prevented any formal declaration of union or fellowship. Dialogue continues, and many of the differences between these two historic Churches are simply cultural.
:o There are some pretty serious differences that we cannot gloss over both in the 16th century and in the present, though I would posit that the differences are greater now than they were then.

In Christ,
Andrew

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums