Hesitating to call myself a christian

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't accept that proof hangs on everyone accepting it, or that the Bible should be subjected to historical criticism. If you read the Bible and are persuaded its true, then its proven to you.

dms1972,
You nailed it here! That is exactly how I found the truth about Christianity.
If you haven't read my testimony please do. I explain how I found the truth about "believing."
The link is in my post #40.
I do believe that God's Word is the best place to find answers. But, I do recommend some articles that might help. The two articles below were written by the late Dr. John R. Rice who was a well known evangelist. You will need to google them, but they are easy to find.

1. How to come to Jesus.
2. What Must I Do to be Saved?

Don

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes that's interesting indeed, I am not disagreeing....

I have wondered about the "personal relationship" notion at times also. But People sometimes have said "Jesus is all you need" particularly at times when I have been seeking support. But what is discipleship does it not involve relationship, The Bible says Jesus is with his disciples till the end of the age. In what sense is he with them?

Where do you think the notion of 'personal relationship with Jesus' has come from?

I can't see how one could not have a relationship with Jesus, if one is a christian. Doesn't the Bible speak of Jesus calling his disciples friends?

Dsm1972, in the following scriptures Jesus is telling us how we can have a personal relationship with Him.
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Jesus was saying in those scriptures that no one can come to Him unless God the Father draws that person to Him. Then He said that anyone who hears & learns the truth from God will come to Him. Finally, He says that anyone who comes to Him He will not turn away.

In other words, God the Holy Spirit uses the message of the Gospel to convince us that we need our sins to be forgiven & to convince us that Jesus's death on the cross and His shed blood there is God's Way to save us from being eternally separated from Him and spending eternity in hell. The Holy Spirit does the convincing; He shows us the truth from God's Word, the Bible, and draws us to Jesus. Those who come to Him to receive His gift of forgiveness & a new life in Him will have a personal relationship with Him. When we come to Jesus, He takes our sin and gives us His righteousness, and the Holy Spirit moves in and gives us the new life in Christ. He changes the way we think, the way we react to others, He changes our “want to,” He gives us the ability to turn from sin, He helps us to better understand scripture, He changes our confusion to faith, He gives us assurance of eternal life in heaven with God, He does many things for us, and one of the greatest things He gives us is peace. The peace of knowing that ones sins are forgiven and that their eternity is secure in the blood Jesus shed on the cross is a peace that is impossible to explain to anyone who has never experienced it for themselves.

Jesus will do that for you if you will come to Him, believing He will do what He said He will do. Read the Gospel of John and look to the Holy Spirit to show you whatever it is you need to be able to see the truth. The Holy Spirit can & will convince you of the truth if you will approach Him with the attitude that He is your only hope.

Don

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't accept that proof hangs on everyone accepting it, or that the Bible should be subjected to historical criticism. If you read the Bible and are persuaded its true, then its proven to you.
How did we get to this subject?

You were asking what faith is and I gave you a definition.

I don't know where this came from about the Bible. And who said that proof of the Bible hangs on everyone accepting it? Most people have never really studied the BIble to know or not know.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You were saying faith means believing the unseen and the unproven. I wasn't sure what you meant when you said 'unproven'?
Unproven is that we or you or I can not prove without a doubt that God exists by any measure because God has not shown Himself to people, nor made Himself known physically.

Although there is proof of the historical Jesus through writings of historians of that time. Also the Israelite's being slaves of Egypt is documented by the Egyptians in their heirogliphs, probably spelled that wrong.

UPDATED: Also, it has been proven by geography and science that there was a great flood close to the time of Noah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for mentioning Alister McGrath, I have read some of his stuff in the past, and hes a good writer. I am not sure though that Iustitia Dei would be best for me to read - I had a look at the contents and it covers quite a bit, and many different views.

To ToBeLoved

Ok I mentioned Justification a while back because of reviewing in my mind how I may have thought on that in the past but I am not even sure because it was a mixture of Barth's and Luther's thoughts I think.

I certainly connected it with forgiveness, but I don't want to get into the ideas different ideas at this point.

I don't disagree with what you say though

But I'd like to come to an understanding reading the Bible.
No. It's not from anyone's thoughts, Barth or Luther. It is RIGHT out of the Bible.

Why do you think I would tell you something that is opinion?

I wouldn't do that. Everything I say is from the Bible.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But if we don’t take that risk, we’re trying to motivate the Christian life by fear.

But is an element of fear of God not proper in christian living. There are wrong fears, fear of man for instance, which we need delivered from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am not disputing what you say is based on the Bible.

I meant my own thinking in the past has been influenced by Barth and Luther and some others, or at least my understanding of what they taught.
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying that. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But is an element of fear of God not proper in christian living. There are wrong fears, fear of man for instance, which we need delivered from. But I used to be very OSAS, but I am not of that thinking now.
The Bible says we should "work out our salvation with fear and trembling" because salvation is the most important thing any of us will ever do.

To be a child of God or not.

After we are saved, most of the time fear turns into respect and worship for the wonderful gift that Christ has given us.

I heard recently, that the word 'fear' is used 212 times in the BIble (I have to double-check that number) and most of the time it is saying that we should not fear. Once we are a child of God, Jesus becomes our Savior and Lord.

The devil uses fear all the time against us. Fear (after someone is born again) is usually more of a detrement to the person than useful.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But is an element of fear of God not proper in christian living. There are wrong fears, fear of man for instance, which we need delivered from. But I used to be very OSAS, but I am not of that thinking now.
You should start another thread about OSAS, I'd like to talk to you in more detail. Or just start another conversation and we can discuss it. :)

Upvote 0