Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Over the past few years, many things have changed. But one thing that catches my eye is that on the God TV type channels of various flavours, there is more than a passing interest in Christians beginning to keep passover (and some adopt even more of God's Holy days).

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether they think this is a present day move of the Spirit (like Azusa at the turn of the century, or the Jesus movement in the 70's) or something more insidious.

Steve

sebastian

is invisible...
Mar 27, 2004
✟10,161.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I think it's very very sad and it makes my stomach turn if I'm honest. yeah we should recognise the roots of Christianity but only to better undestand God and His word, not take upon ourselves the work of salvation.
It's a sign of the times alright, and a lack of personal study and sound bible teaching common in many charasmatic circles *ducks for cover*. But it's as if people have ripped out acts and the epistles of thier bibles.
It's not that observing passover or the holy days that's a problem if it's done as worship but I think people don't do it for that reason, and it's all the rest of the stuff. urgh.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's very very sad and it makes my stomach turn if I'm honest. yeah we should recognise the roots of Christianity but only to better undestand God and His word, not take upon ourselves the work of salvation.
It's a sign of the times alright, and a lack of personal study and sound bible teaching common in many charasmatic circles *ducks for cover*. But it's as if people have ripped out acts and the epistles of thier bibles.
It's not that observing passover or the holy days that's a problem if it's done as worship but I think people don't do it for that reason, and it's all the rest of the stuff. urgh.

do you actually know anyone who keeps passover who thinks it will buy them favour with God... everyone I know who keeps it does so out of a heart of worship... not to mention the fact both Jesus and Paul instruct us to keep the festival.

Steve

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Over the past few years, many things have changed. But one thing that catches my eye is that on the God TV type channels of various flavours, there is more than a passing interest in Christians beginning to keep passover (and some adopt even more of God's Holy days).

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether they think this is a present day move of the Spirit (like Azusa at the turn of the century, or the Jesus movement in the 70's) or something more insidious.
I don't know, as you say, it is something that has caught your eye but not mine. However I often don't pay attention to what the whole body of Christ is doing. If you're right about your observations I doubt it would have anything to do with a move of the Spirit, especially on par with the Azusa St. revival or the Jesus movement of the late 60's and early 70's.

do you actually know anyone who keeps passover who thinks it will buy them favour with God... everyone I know who keeps it does so out of a heart of worship... not to mention the fact both Jesus and Paul instruct us to keep the festival.
I don't know any christian who keeps the passover but I do know many christians who believe they win God's favor by their own actions. I know many who believe God isn't pleased with them unless they perform for him, and if they don't perform for him they believe He's mad at them and will withhold favor from them.

Please quote book, chapter, and verse where Jesus and Paul instruct us to keep the passover festival.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know anything about the JEwish Holidays - but it seems that I have an interest lately to learn about the feasts that the Bible tells us to keep. Nothing I have read or heard has instilled this interest - it is coming from the Holy Spirit - I am wondering why when the Bible tells us to keep these feasts they are totally overlooked.

The Bible plainly says to keep them - yet more time is spent on telling people they can't dance, can't drink, etc. etc. I am finding myself searching for answers to these questions.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know any christian who keeps the passover but I do know many christians who believe they win God's favor by their own actions. I know many who believe God isn't pleased with them unless they perform for him, and if they don't perform for him they believe He's mad at them and will withhold favor from them.

Please quote book, chapter, and verse where Jesus and Paul instruct us to keep the passover festival.

Matthew 7v6 for starters... but then moving onto....

Luke 22v19 & 1 Cor.5v8.

though I suspect both of these verses will be dismissed in favour of the later tradition of the eucharist or something referred to as 'lord's supper'.

Steve

p.s. for those who want it, I have an excellent study on the phrase 'table of the Lord / table of demons' which really has nothing to do with this topic (but sounds like it does).

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 7v6 for starters... but then moving onto....
Matthew 7:6, Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

I think you need to do some explaining to show how that verse is Jesus teaching us to keep the passover feastival.

Luke 22v19 & 1 Cor.5v8.

though I suspect both of these verses will be dismissed in favour of the later tradition of the eucharist or something referred to as 'lord's supper'.
Well, yes, this is the last super where Jesus is showing his discipals that the OT is ending and the NT is beginning. Nowhere does Jesus say that after this day we all are to continue the passover festival, neither does Paul.

Of course that is my opinion, you are welcome to yours also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cyberlizard

Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7v6 was provided to prove the point that the verses I give would be disenfranchised and disempowered...

which festival do you think Paul was encouraging believers to keep if not passover in the verse from Corinthians?

Steve

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟165,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Steve

The Spirit of GOD will move forward towards Tabernacles, not backwards towards Passover.

Upvote 0
C

childofmercy

:wave: Hi

I do think there's something to the bringing us back to the feasts. About two years ago the Lord brought me to them over and over. Now that I understand a little better this is what I learned.

In the OT we annointed the doorposts with the blood of a lamb (representation of Christ) when observing the passover. In the NT we observe Passover with communion. This is the Passover feast today. Christ became our Passover when He died on the cross, which along with other things, eliminated blood ordinances.

Some verses.

The eliminating of the ordinance

Blotting out the handwriting of the ordinances that was used against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. Colossians 2:14

Jesus the Passover

Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 1 Corinthians 5:7,8

This's why I observe the Passover and why I think we're being brought back to the feasts. There's a lot more to them than we think and we need to know. jmo

Reactions: cyberlizard
Upvote 0

cyberlizard

Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of GOD will move forward towards Tabernacles, not backwards towards Passover.

and yet I will hedge my bets you remember the passover in a superficial traditional sense every week... but without the unleavened bread as most churches just use a normal bead cob/bun/loaf (whatever they call them in the states).

I keep Passover once a year, but 'break bread' a couple of times a week with various people in my house. Keeping it reminds me of what Jesus did, when he did it, and why. A friend who came to her first ever passover meal at our house loved it... sure you can learn the theory and the doctrine... but the scriptures say.... "Taste and see that HaShem is good".

Steve

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
There is such richness in the feasts! In fact...Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles will be celebrated in the millenium in Jerusalem!! It's there, in the WORD, in the book of Zechariah!!
I got to celebrate Sukkot in Jerusalem back in 92 when I was going to school at Institute for Holyland Studies! In fact, I camped out in the Sukkah and we hung pomagranettes from the ceiling!
All the cafes, restaurants, etc have sukkahs out and is is really neat.
Sukkot in the states, or elsewhere is nothing like Sukkot in Jerusalem!!!

There's nothing wrong with experiencing a Passover Seder. I've done my own and made my own Charoset (which is one of my favorite foods at Passover) There's rich pictures of Yeshua in the symbolism. THe 3rd cup of wine and the Afikomen(which literally is translated "the Coming One". There is much prophetic symbolism thru the Seder as well as what went on in the Temple at Sukkot....which gives insight on why Jesus stood up in the Temple and proclaimed that He was that Living Water (Mayim Chayim in Hebrew)...part of the ritual had a priest go to the Siloam Spring (Siloam means "The Sent One") and get a cup of water and pours it on the altar in the TEmple, as another priest pours a cup of wine on hte altar. Meanwhile, another group of Levites come in from the Mt. of Olives waiving palm branches (symbolism the coming of the Ruach HaKodesh, Holy Spirit)...and worshippers recited "we shall draw forth living water from the Springs of Salvation (literally Yeshuah, Yeshua, Jesus!!)
It was also at Sukkot when Jesus put mud on the blind man's eyes and sent him to wash his eyes in the pool of Siloam! (He was showing him He was "the Sent One", Messiah when He did that!

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟165,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
and yet I will hedge my bets you remember the passover in a superficial traditional sense every week... but without the unleavened bread as most churches just use a normal bead cob/bun/loaf (whatever they call them in the states).

I keep Passover once a year, but 'break bread' a couple of times a week with various people in my house. Keeping it reminds me of what Jesus did, when he did it, and why. A friend who came to her first ever passover meal at our house loved it... sure you can learn the theory and the doctrine... but the scriptures say.... "Taste and see that HaShem is good".

Steve

Jesus is my all in all, I have no need to recognize material things in remembrance when I am in unity with Him everyday.

As I said, The Holy Spirit is not going to look back on Passover, but will lead the body of Christ towards Tabernacles and the glorification of that body.

Upvote 0
T

Tanis

I don't know anything about the JEwish Holidays - but it seems that I have an interest lately to learn about the feasts that the Bible tells us to keep. Nothing I have read or heard has instilled this interest - it is coming from the Holy Spirit - I am wondering why when the Bible tells us to keep these feasts they are totally overlooked.

The Bible plainly says to keep them - yet more time is spent on telling people they can't dance, can't drink, etc. etc. I am finding myself searching for answers to these questions.
Me too Sharon.

cyberlizard - I haven't noticed what you have, about the feasts. I have about keeping the Sabbath though, not through tv but online.
That is probably due to me researching about it.

I don't know if I am being drawn just to learn about the feasts or to keep them. My opinion is we don't need to still observe them. I don't really know though.
The Sabbath is a different story, since that is one of the Commandments.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Steve

Not really, but I don't watch much TV.

Steve
I think those who do it as you describe are practicing something very beautiful and meaningful and that it could very well greatly deepen a believers relationship with God.

For those who object...anything can be used for good or bad, including Scripture. Making rules against the keeping of a festival or a tradition from the heart is just as legalistic as making rules that require it. It is for freedom we have been made free.

Upvote 0
T

Tanis

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.