Happiness in Heaven while Loved Ones Fry in Hell?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Always taught the possibility of hell"....how craftily written.
Thanks?

But what was the prevailing reality view of 6 known schools of Christianity for five or six CENTURIES????

German theologian - Philip Schaff writes :

“In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six known theological schools, of which four (Alexandria…Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is unknown.” ( The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge – Vol XII, Baker Book House, 1950, p. 96.)
It's a known fact that not necessarily everyone had the same belief regarding Hell. However, I've provided quotations from Church Fathers which agree with one another and, as it happens, also agree with Catholic teaching. Irrespective of the particulars though, Hell isn't a place you want to end up.

Notice which church came out of the "endless punishment of the wicked" school? The church of ROME.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No matter who or what I quote he does not address anything, just dismisses all the sources as biased. I quoted Plato he dismissed it because Plato was a "gay pagan."

LOL. That was extremely hilarious. Especially the last sentence ;

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Portraying God as a God who condemns people to be deep fried forever seems to me like a Satanic attempt to portray God as criminally insane.

Uniquely, beautifully & perfectly said.

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately for you, the Church has always taught at least the possibility of Hell as eternal punishment for people. You're welcome to whatever opinions make your boat float though.

Define "the Church", please.

So, IOW, you are saying "the Church" has always taught a possible universal salvation? And that "the Church" members may hope for such? Compare:

A Catholic Reading Guide to Universalism
By Robert Wild

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Al...9vfNAhUY82MKHX1fAeMQ6AEIJTAB#v=onepage&q=good goats catholic universalism&f=false

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh?

"Corrupters of families will not inherit the kingdom of God. And if they who do these things according to the flesh suffer death, how much more if a man corrupt by evil teaching the faith of God for the sake of which Jesus Christ was crucified? A man become so foul will depart into unquenchable fire: and so will anyone who listens to him."
-- St. Ignatius (AD 110)

What this tells us is someone trained by St. John the Beloved Apostle certainly thought eternal punishment was a possibility.

But there are others.

"If we do the will of Christ, we shall obtain rest; but if not, if we neglect his commandments, nothing will rescue us from eternal punishment."
- St. Clement (AD 150)

"We have been taught that only they may aim at immortality who have lived a holy and virtuous life near to God. We believe that they who live wickedly and do not repent will be punished in everlasting fire."
- St. Justin Martyr (AD 151)

These men and others were part of the first generation or two after the apostles who led the Church. Clearly they believed in some possibility of eternal punishment in the afterlife. Their beliefs don't seem all that different from what we believe today, in fact.

So either they're right and you need to realign your thinking or you're the first person since Our Lord Himself to truly understand His teachings since apparently His own apostles didn't understand them. I think the simpler explanation is that you may not fully understand what you're so casually dismissing.

Is that St Clement quote the spurious one i read on a church fathers' site?

JM is usually considered an annihilationist. For Ignatious, see below.

I don't see any references in your quotes. OTOH here is a recent work by a Catholic scholar who has devoted her life to focusing on this subject. Also she reads the church fathers in the original languages, not just in the English you have written.

"Augustine himself, after rejecting apokatastasis, and Basil attest that still late in the fourth and fifth centuries this doctrine was upheld by the vast majority of Christians (immo quam plurimi)."

"Of course there were antiuniversalists also in the ancient church, but scholars must be careful not to list among them — as is the case with the list of “the 68” antiuniversalists repeatedly cited by McC on the basis of Brian Daley’s The Hope of the Early Church — an author just because he uses πῦρ αἰώνιον, κόλασις αἰώνιος, θάνατος αἰώνιος, or the like, since these biblical expressions do not necessarily refer to eternal damnation. Indeed all universalists, from Origen to Gregory Nyssen to Evagrius, used these phrases without problems, for universalists understood these expressions as “otherworldly,” or “long-lasting,” fire, educative punishment, and death. Thus, the mere presence of such phrases is not enough to conclude that a patristic thinker “affirmed the idea of everlasting punishment” (p. 822). Didache mentions the ways of life and death, but not eternal death or torment; Ignatius, as others among “the 68,” never mentions eternal punishment. Ephrem does not speak of eternal damnation, but has many hints of healing and restoration. For Theodore of Mopsuestia, another of “the 68,” if one takes into account also the Syriac and Latin evidence, given that the Greek is mostly lost, it becomes impossible to list him among the antiuniversalists. He explicitly ruled out unending retributive punishment, sine fine et sine correctione.

I have shown, indeed, that a few of “the 68” were not antiuniversalist, and that the uncertain were in fact universalists, for example, Clement of Alexandria, Apocalypse of Peter, Sibylline Oracles (in one passage), Eusebius, Nazianzen, perhaps even Basil and Athanasius, Ambrose, Jerome before his change of mind, and Augustine in his anti-Manichaean years. Maximus too, another of “the 68,” speaks only of punishment aionios, not aidios and talks about restoration with circumspection after Justinian, also using a persona to express it. Torstein Tollefsen, Panayiotis Tzamalikos, and Maria Luisa Gatti, for instance, agree that he affirmed apokatastasis.

It is not the case that “the support for universalism is paltry compared with opposition to it” (p. 823). Not only were “the 68” in fact fewer than 68, and not only did many “uncertain” in fact support apokatastasis, but the theologians who remain in the list of antiuniversalists tend to be much less important. Look at the theological weight of Origen, the Cappadocians, Athanasius, or Maximus, for instance, on all of whom much of Christian doctrine and dogmas depends. Or think of the cultural significance of Eusebius, the spiritual impact of Evagrius or Isaac of Nineveh, or the philosophico-theological importance of Eriugena, the only author of a comprehensive treatise of systematic theology and theoretical philosophy between Origen’s Peri Archon and Aquinas’s Summa theologiae. Then compare, for instance, Barsanuphius, Victorinus of Pettau, Gaudentius of Brescia, Maximus of Turin, Tyconius, Evodius of Uzala, or Orientius, listed among “the 68” (and mostly ignorant of Greek). McC’s statement, “there are no unambiguous cases of universalist teaching prior to Origen” (p. 823), should also be at least nuanced, in light of Bardaisan, Clement, the Apocalypse of Peter’s Rainer Fragment, parts of the Sibylline Oracles, and arguably of the NT, especially Paul’s letters.

Certainly, “there was a diversity of views in the early church on the scope of final salvation.” Tertullian, for instance, did not embrace apokatastasis. But my monograph is not on patristic eschatology or soteriology in general, but specifically on the doctrine of apokatastasis. Thus, I treated the theologians who supported it, and not others."

https://afkimel.wordpress.com/2016/...of-apokatastasis-the-reviews-start-coming-in/
http://tsj.sagepub.com/content/76/4/827.extract

Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp.)

Scholars directory, with list of publications:

http://www.isns.us/directory/europe/ramelliilaria.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What are those better explanations?

Better in terms of being harmonious with a God Omnipotent the Scriptures define as Love:

1. unquenchable fire, which people may be able to a]leave, or b]be saved in, or c]the fire itself ends, as in a number of ancient examples of the usage of the word. For everyone shall be salted with fire [unquenchable] (Mk 9:48-49).

2. "Corrupters of families will not inherit the kingdom of God", which seems to be synonymous or similar to 1 Cor.6:9-10. This does not say anything about whether or not such corrupters can or cannot repent, now or hereafter, and then be reconciled to God. Obviously there have been such corrupters, even in this life, who have repented before death, and been saved. Likewise:

1Cor.6: 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inheritthe kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters,nor adulterers, nor men who submit to norperform homosexual acts, 10nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…

And yet the Kingdom of God will in fact be full of such people who were formerely such as the above states. For God, from the same inspired writer and book, will be "All in all" (1 Cor.15:22-28).

3. "eternal punshment"...this poor translation has been discussed already too many times and shown to be in perfect harmony with UR. Early church universalists such as Origen also believed in aionion punishment. See the quote from scholar Ramelli in my previous post re this very topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can we all read 1Corinthians 3 in context?
This is speaking strictly to those who say they believe but have added man-made "material" to THE FOUNDATION...these will be saved but as if by fire...

Unbelievers, that is a whole different story...

there is confusion with the term as by fire, in the above chapter, as referring to hell...as if those who believe will first enter into hell and then be further purified so as to be saved?

No one who does not believe will be saved as by fire...
These words by Paul were addressing any man who lays to THE FOUNDATION anything more than CHRIST...

A man who isn't even standing FIRST and FOREMOST on THE FOUNDATION, how are they saved if they do not believe?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lack of posts?

I haven't noticed you giving any reason why it doesn't seem Biblical.

Doubts are understandable about any subject that hasn't been studied seriously or in detail.

Bottom line. Jesus said seek and ye shall find.

Hillsage & I can't do that for you.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
What more needs to be sought? If one is born of HIS SPIRIT, isn't it sufficient to say there was a need for salvation? And the LORD who is the SAVIOR of men, saved?

What exactly did HE save us from?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kenny:

Hillsage and ClemetofA are correct. I have been keeping up on the back-and-forth. The trouble we run into when we look at the Hell theory is that Hell must be endlessly asserted (a subset of eternal conscious torment) or it will wither. A few hours with your Bible, its own internal references (if any), a good concordance, a good dictionary, and an interlinear text, will make Hell wither even more under scrutiny. You don't even have to the a theologian to do it - it's that easy. The edifice of Hell depends on certain mistranslated words, the misinterpretation of certain texts, and fictions such as the works of Dante, Milton and Baxter. However, on the whole, how much weight can we give Hell when God:

failed to mention creating Hell

failed to explain Hell

failed to warn anyone about Hell

failed to threaten anyone with Hell

gave Moses a Law with no mention of Hell

sent His Son with a mission to save us from our sins, but failed to mention saving us from Hell

and on and on.

I have examined every verse of the KJV to resolve this question in my own mind - Hell is a 404.
I don't believe they are...
I believe they have to go back, understanding that Paul only addressed those who were IN THE BODY...never those outside THE BODY...that he said to leave to GOD...

But his writing in 1corinthians 3 regarding "adding to THE FOUNDATION"...was because there ARE men who add to THE FOUNDATION..."yeast"...manmade input...that is NOT needed...

These manmade works and additives will be burned up...and he will be saved as one passing through the fire...not because he isn't a believer, but because he has believed...yet, he added more to THE FOUNDATION than what was needed.

And that FOUNDATION, as Paul clearly states, is CHRIST...and CHRIST alone...

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And when it came to being birthed into your earthly family, what part of that was YOUR choice? So also are those principles applicable to the family of God.

JOH 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him;
And the word for "draw" here is only used 8x in scripture, and not once does the thing being 'drawn' have a will to choose.

JOH 6:65 And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."
JOH 1:12 But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; 13 who were born (context=born again), not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
2TI 2:25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, 26 and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
Ephesians 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
Know what the word PREDESTINE/proorizo means? It's Greek definition is?

1) to predetermine, decide beforehand
(2) in the NT of God decreeing from eternity
(3) to foreordain, appoint beforehand

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of God; and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

IOW if you aren't 'called, drawn, chosen, predestined and ordained to believe BY GOD in this age...Then you are really just under the illusion that you, and all other Christians, were just really smarter lost sheep than all the rest...AND YOU FOUND THE SHEPHERD with your free will. I see another scenario, in that I was destined in this age and He found me called me, drew me and gave me the revelation knowledge of his 'spoken word to me' that I might believe. All others are simply destined to receive in the ages to come.

1CO 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.
24 Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power.
25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
27 "For God has put all things in subjection under his feet." But when it says, "All things are put in subjection under him," it is plain that he is excepted who put all things under him.
28 When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things under him, that God may be everything to every one.

The GOOD NEWS of the GOSPEL.
Then there are NO enemies of THE CROSS?
in which case there is NO reason to "Go" as the LORD commanded HIS DISCIPLES to "Go" and preach THE GOOD NEWS of THE GOSPEL?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Call us fools if you like. We are not the ones teaching God's love runs out after this momentary life & then He's going to send those still lost to endless sadism. As if that would be justice that fits the crime.

If you were aware of church history & the ECF Origen, you'ld know He was a universalist & considered one of the most holy and respected of his century, if not the past 2000 years. Not a "fool that loves the world".

OTOH the anti universalist dominated dark ages of church history produced the fruits of ignorance, inquisitions, crusades, burnings of 'heretics' and their writings, etc.
What do you make of Isaiah 61?
Would you agree that JESUS has two ministrres?

The first HE publicly announced in Luke 4 when HE referred to the prophecy in Isaiah 61. HE stopped midpoint at the "year of the Lord's Favor" and closed the books and said, Today scripture is fulfilled in your hearing"

Do you believe the second part: The day of Vengeance of OUR GOD,will never be fulfilled?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your method of quoting others makes answering difficult, and that may be by design. Nevertheless, I will try to put things back together. You were answering ClementofA, who said: "If He had the same belief as them re tortures that have no end, He would have been
explicit about it
repeatedly,
in no uncertain terms,
and praised the evil hypocritical Pharisees for their correct view. He never does. Not even once."

Seems to me that Jesus was less than explicit - His statements are more like allusions than explicit statements. He expounds so much less on "Hell" than the fictions of Dante, Milton and Baxter.

The verses are mostly from the Gospel of Matthew, and one from Mark - should we not expect support from Luke, John, and the rest of the NT? Sadly, we hear only crickets as far as ECT is concerned.

No uncertain terms? These verses have some very questionable terms, chiefly everlasting and eternal. "Hell" itself does not bear up well under scrutiny.

ClemetofA winds it up with Jesus' lack of agreement with Pharisees, who you say subscribed to "Hell."

His post deserves better than the sweeping generalization of "If you ignore the scripture above." Every point should be addressed.
Can you explain to me what JESUS meant when HE said to those who did not believe in HIM:

I am going away, and where I am going you can not come? And if you do not believe I AM HE, ye shall die in your sins...where I am going you can not come...

If they can't come where HE is going, and they shall die in their sins, where are they if it is apart from HIM and they are dead in their sins?

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain to me what JESUS meant when HE said to those who did not believe in HIM:

I am going away, and where I am going you can not come? And if you do not believe I AM HE, ye shall die in your sins...where I am going you can not come...

If they can't come where HE is going, and they shall die in their sins, where are they if it is apart from HIM and they are dead in their sins?

Jesus was going away to the Heavenly places to be with His Father. We know that God dwells in inapproachable light, so it is easy to see why men in the flesh could not go there. God made us to live here in the Earth, and I have seen no reason in the Bible to believe otherwise than that we will live in the Earth in the resurrection, even the New Earth. Now if those men Jesus was addressing were to die in their sins, they ran a very good chance (I am not the Judge of such things) of being tossed into the Lake of Fire for a prescribed time. The Bible states that the last enemy to be defeated is Death, and when that happens, I believe that the LoF will give up its dead, just as the Grave and the Sea did at an earlier time.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What exactly did HE save us from?
Wrong question; What did he come to save us FOR. "I came that they might have LIFE and LIFE ABUNDANT."

Did he fall short of His purpose from God, for coming? According to orthodoxy YES, according to UR NO!

1JO 3:8 He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

What works do you believe this scripture is talking about.

Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What is your point? Pagan, yes. Gay, probably. We all know about Greek culture. Different country, different time, different ethos, different religion, different customs. OTOH, we might consider putting the thread back on track...

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Can we all read 1Corinthians 3 in context?
Your POV is absolutely not the context though. This man did build on the foundation of Jesus Christ, he was a believer, he was born again.

This is speaking strictly to those who say they believe but have added man-made "material" to THE FOUNDATION...these will be saved but as if by fire...
Scripture disagrees with your opinion.
1CO 3:11 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any one builds on/(Gr.epoikodomeo)the foundation with

Who is this 'any one' in context? It's the Christian who will be judged and SAVED by FIRE. And the words "BUILDS UPON" are consistent with the definition of the Greek word.
Strong's #2026 epoikodomeo:to build upon ie (fig) to rear up

So whatever milk-toasted mis-translation you're quoting as 'added to the foundation', is simply not the Greek.
And what is dealt with in these "SAVING FIRES" of judgment, is the works which are of the devil, or the flesh, or of an unrenewed soul. And Christians abound in work for these saving fires.

Unbelievers, that is a whole different story...there is confusion with the term as by fire, in the above chapter, as referring to hell...as if those who believe will first enter into hell and then be further purified so as to be saved?
We think there is confusion with the term HELL ETERNAL...we fully understand judgment by "SAVING as by FIRE". A term which has nothing to do with 'blood of FORGIVENESS'. But that's another trail of truth missed with 'mono vision' of ETERNAL HELLers.

A man who isn't even standing FIRST and FOREMOST on THE FOUNDATION, how are they saved if they do not believe?
He is 'building on the FOUNDATION' he's standing on, but what he builds on that foundation is the garbage which must be burned up/off before he can be allowed in....the kingdom/life of God in the hereafter. IOW your whole post proves nothing contrary to our UR beliefs.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then there are NO enemies of THE CROSS?
in which case there is NO reason to "Go" as the LORD commanded HIS DISCIPLES to "Go" and preach THE GOOD NEWS of THE GOSPEL?
No not at all, there are many enemies of the cross. And a gospel from the pit of hell would qualify as one IMO. So what's the fruit of YOUR GOSPEL? The fruit of ours is GOD 'ultimately' WINS all, Devil 'ultimately' keeps none. Jesus has "the keys of hell and death" and Jesus isn't locking people up....He's setting them free.

And why did our former pastor express bewilderment at how I'd brought more people into his church than almost anyone in the whole congregation? How could I do that without 'scaring the hell out of them with eternal hell'? The same way Paul did, who never mentioned it once in writing 1/3 of the NT. Well, I say he never mentioned it, but that's not really true. YOUR false profit scribes couldn't translate HADES as hell this 'one time' because then it would have admitted that CHRISTIANS were getting out of it. But I'm sure you know what verse I'm speaking of and have dealt with it....right?

Oh, almost forgot, and why did I bring so many to pastor's congregation? Because I wanted to be a participant in working WITH GOD to accomplish HIS WILL and his COUNSEL.

ROM 10:14 But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher?

FWI "a preacher" certainly isn't talking about 'your pastor'.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your point? Pagan, yes. Gay, probably. We all know about Greek culture. Different country, different time, different ethos, different religion, different customs. OTOH, we might consider putting the thread back on track...
Yes indeed lets get back on track since you are the one who took the thread off track, criticizing the way I responded to CoA. I said he dismissed my posts claiming Plato was a gay pagan. CoA said that was hilarious so I linked to posts where he did so.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes indeed lets get back on track since you are the one who took the thread off track, criticizing the way I responded to CoA. I said he dismissed my posts claiming Plato was a gay pagan. CoA said that was hilarious so I linked to posts where he did so.

Better treatment of others on the thread is always a viable option. Anyway, are you so sure I took the thread off the tracks, or is it just your knee-jerk response? It seemed to me the thread was off the tracks and over in the next county...

Upvote 0