United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread is closed for review. There is off topic trolling starting on page one, and very little discussion of the topic in the OP. Doing a clean up would remove most of the thread.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

A large clean up was done in this thread. There was a real problem with off topic posts, and flaming and some trolling in this thread.

AS A REMINDER, the Statement of Purpose or this forum includes:

Physical Sciences address the nature and properties of non-living systems while life sciences address the nature and properties of living matter. This may include the way two or more of these have an effect on each other between observation, theory, deduction and application.​
Remember to quote sources if applicable. When copying a portion of an article or informational piece, remember the copyright limits outlined by CF as well as the copyright stipulations of the article publisher.​
Do not flame other views. Christianity cannot be called a myth, and science cannot be called a religion or made up. Threads started, or responses made, to simply disparage science will be considered off topic to the forum.​
Creation and Evolution discussions are off topic to this main forum, and should be started in the sub-forum, Creation & Evolution.​

Let me repeat the last one 'louder':

Creation and Evolution discussions are off topic to this main forum, and should be started in the sub-forum, Creation & Evolution.

I am reopening this but stay on topic and do not flame other views or make derogatory comments about the faith of other Christians. Continuing to post off topic will lead to a thread ban or a forum specific ban and warnings that lead to a ban.

I will be monitoring the threads in this forum closely - again.

• Winner
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
"About 465 million years ago, an armored critter resembling a sea roach died near what is now Prague. The final meal of this animal—a trilobite—still sat in its guts as sediment buried its body in the sea floor of an ancient Paleozoic sea. There, it remained entombed for ages. Now, scientific sleuths have deduced the contents of this meal, providing the first direct evidence of the diet and lifestyle of this primal and iconic group of arthropods."

https://www.science.org/content/article/scientists-reveal-half-billion-year-old-last-supper

I didn't actually click the link to see the picture of the specimen, but this is so cool.
1696242999168.png

And there's the this little tidbit too:
Although the guts themselves were not preserved in the fossil, their contents reveal important information about the physiology of the trilobite. The shells from its final meal are made of calcium carbonate, which dissolves in acidic conditions, so the researchers think the animal’s gut had a neutral or alkaline pH. And because the shells left an imprint of the shape of the digestive tract, the researchers could tell the animal had two stomachs.

My knowledge of biology is not the best, but I would love to know how a creature could have a neutral or alkaline pH for stomach acid because that sounds so cool.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most common fossils are not surprisingly of marine organisms including.
  • trilobites;
  • bivalves;
  • ammonites;
  • belemnites;
  • brachiopods;
  • corals;
  • crinoids.
Marine conditions are ideal for fossilization; a rapid burial in sediment and if undisturbed for a sufficient period, fossilization through permineralization.

Such fossils cannot be dated directly and requires very specific conditions such as volcanism where the fossils are sandwiched between igneous layers.
1696277974064.png

The igneous layers can be dated using the following methods and the fossil age is expressed as an age range of the top and bottom igneous layers.

1696278218942.png

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
My knowledge of biology is not the best, but I would love to know how a creature could have a neutral or alkaline pH for stomach acid because that sounds so cool.

You might be interested in this paper. It talks about the (secondary) function of stomach Ph as a barrier against pathogens. Neutral or slightly alkaline gut Ph is more likely in an animal which is distantly related (in the evolutionary sense) to its food (e.g. herbivores) since it is less likely to pick up dangerous pathogens from its food.

Slightly acidic gut environments may have evolved to filter out pathogens dangerous to animals which eat meat since meat will support pathogens which are dangerous to meat eaters.

I'm seriously (and badly) over simplifying here.

OB

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
You might be interested in this paper. It talks about the (secondary) function of stomach Ph as a barrier against pathogens. Neutral or slightly alkaline gut Ph is more likely in an animal which is distantly related (in the evolutionary sense) to its food (e.g. herbivores) since it is less likely to pick up dangerous pathogens from its food.

Slightly acidic gut environments may have evolved to filter out pathogens dangerous to animals which eat meat since meat will support pathogens which are dangerous to meat eaters.

I'm seriously (and badly) over simplifying here.

OB
I'm on my lunch break at work so I can look at it now but I will when I get home.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I remember riding a freight train in the west Texas desert in the summer of 1986. I stared up at the sky and I saw so many beautiful stars. I have always remembered that. In the morning while the train was still moving toward El Paso I saw many herds of free roaming horses. I watched them and thought it was very special that I got to see them. Far away from any city you see stars like you can't see anywhere else without a telescope.
I hope replying to this isn't considered too far off topic. I live in Dallas and the skies are terribly light polluted here. I can see the moon, the planets and some of the brighter stars. Some nights with a new moon and particular atmospheric conditions, even a clar sky can seem empty. I've been wanting to see the Milky Way again so I planned a weekend trip to Wichita Falls to revisit old stomping grounds with a side trip 1 1/2 hours away to a Bortle 2 location. Driving to my viewing site, I could easily see the entirety of Scorpio through the drivers window. I made a pit stop along the way and could tell the sky was full of stars and the Milky Way easily visible. At the viewing site I was amazed. The more my eyes adjusted, the more stars filled the night. Hope I can go out there again some time.
1696399279857.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0