Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does Ussher say it happened on the 23rd of October?

QV please:

The date forever tied to Bishop Ussher appears in the first paragraph of the first page of The Annals. Ussher wrote: “In the beginning, God created heaven and earth, which beginning of time, according to this chronology, occurred at the beginning of the night which preceded the 23rd of October in the year 710 of the Julian period.” In the right margin of the page, Ussher computes the date in “Christian” time as 4004 B.C.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fair enough. Although the date of 23 October by the Julian calender will give a different date to the Gregorian calendar.

Like I said though, I just use it for clarity.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I thought this was a neat bit of science. It's not often we're privy to the preferred dining habits of Trilobites.

Forget about Pluto AV. Trilobites have been ignored for way too long. Take up their cause mon ami and -

Fight! fight! fight!
For the Trilobite!
OB
Boy are you ever right. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've spent wondering about the preferred dining habits of trilobites. But I'm curious - why do you capitalize the "T" in trilobite?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Boy are you ever right. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I've spent wondering about the preferred dining habits of trilobites. But I'm curious - why do you capitalize the "T" in trilobite?

For blazingly obvious and totally unnecessary emphasis. I do it quite often - usually unconsciously. It's a habit I picked up from reading too many turn-of-the (19th) century melodramatic, theatrical posters and overly sensationalised newspaper headlines. I sometimes use it to overstate the importance of a subject as a mild form of self-parody.

Contrast:

The great dictator
with
The Great Dictator
or
Man bites dog
with
Man Bites Dog
OB

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
For blazingly obvious and totally unnecessary emphasis. I do it quite often - usually unconsciously. It's a habit I picked up from reading too many turn-of-the (19th) century melodramatic, theatrical posters and overly sensationalised newspaper headlines. I sometimes use it to overstate the importance of a subject as a mild form of self-parody.

Contrast:

The great dictator
with
The Great Dictator
or
Man bites dog
with
Man Bites Dog
OB

It's also just a good way to draw attention to a specific word or name. Something is obviously important if it's capitalized. Like the count is a lot more boring than the Count.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Which leads to bad science and bad theology.
-
Well as for bad science not my concern, but it would definitely lead to a better and stronger faith in The Bible's witness. Believers could actually grow in their faith, because teaching from childhood The Bible is the authority on God's creation. Would equip the believer to be able to handle satans clever deceptions.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
-
Well as for bad science not my concern, but it would definitely lead to a better and stronger faith in The Bible's witness. Believers could actually grow in their faith, because teaching from childhood The Bible is the authority on God's creation. Would equip the believer to be able to handle satans clever deceptions.

Except that there would still be the problem that God's creation, the Earth He created for us, does not match up with anything told in the Bible except for very specific and singular points based around the Near Middle East.

So, as I said, your idea leads to bad science and bad theology.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
And you would think those who are science-minded would see God in His creation, as Psalm 19 says they should.

But I've learned over the years here that they often tell science to take a hike themselves when the going gets rough.

It right there in Psalms 19 the sun, moon and stars are in the sky (shamayim) where God place them.

The interesting observation about this, is that the ancients and even up to just a few 200+ years ago. Had a better view (of Psalms 19) then, than a large area of the worlds population does now. Much than we do now, with the development of artificial light many only see a few stars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Except that there would still be the problem that God's creation, the Earth He created for us, does not match up with anything told in the Bible except for very specific and singular points based around the Near Middle East.

So, as I said, your idea leads to bad science and bad theology.

This will be proved out. I have 100% confidence that The Bible is 100% accurate and truthful in It's creation accounts.

And i guess you do so in science, so we will have to wait and see. As we (all of humanity) will eventually know, whose accounts are the true creation.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟100,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It right there in Psalms 19 the sun, moon and stars are in the sky (shamayim) where God place them.

The interesting observation about this, is that the ancients and even up to just a few 200+ years ago. Had a better view (of Psalms 19) then, than a large area of the worlds population does now. Much than we do now, with the development of artificial light many only see a few stars.
I remember riding a freight train in the west Texas desert in the summer of 1986. I stared up at the sky and I saw so many beautiful stars. I have always remembered that. In the morning while the train was still moving toward El Paso I saw many herds of free roaming horses. I watched them and thought it was very special that I got to see them. Far away from any city you see stars like you can't see anywhere else without a telescope.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
This will be proved out. I have 100% confidence that The Bible is 100% accurate and truthful in It's creation accounts.

And i guess you do so in science, so we will have to wait and see. As we (all of humanity) will eventually know, whose accounts are the true creation.

Which is a shallow bet since it's just Pascal's Wager in a new form.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟234,084.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm guessing in 50 years belief in aliens will be taken as a given just like evolution.
I am tired of reading about aliens. Why do people spend so much time talking about aliens when they could be out under the night sky doing something useful such as observing variable stars and binary stars, or using spectroscopes to observe stellar spectra?

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's also just a good way to draw attention to a specific word or name. Something is obviously important if it's capitalized. Like the count is a lot more boring than the Count.
I think there's a difference between something being important and something being not boring. The latest pop star on the charts may be exciting, but they are not important. Addition and subtraction in math are important, but to most of us boring.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,169.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I think there's a difference between something being important and something being not boring. The latest pop star on the charts may be exciting, but they are not important. Addition and subtraction in math are important, but to most of us boring.

... okay?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remember riding a freight train in the west Texas desert in the summer of 1986. I stared up at the sky and I saw so many beautiful stars. I have always remembered that. In the morning while the train was still moving toward El Paso I saw many herds of free roaming horses. I watched them and thought it was very special that I got to see them. Far away from any city you see stars like you can't see anywhere else without a telescope.
I had the same experience on a west Texas highway late at night. We stopped the car on the side of the road to get out and "take care of business". I wasn't expecting it, but I tilted my head up and had my breath taken away at the sight.

Upvote 0