Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What type work do you specifically do ? I believe Boston Scientific is Medical devices ?

yea, I worked in the pacemaker department in development. Everything was working smoothly for half a year until I noticed people being moved, disappearing, and being shifted around to other areas of the building. There was also a lot of new faces I noticed too, including the supervisor(who mind you is like 22 years old and fools around all day and flirts with the girls on the line). This was when the performance reports started to come up. Which I thought was weird because I always worked the same in the past and never had any bad reports and then all of a sudden they come rolling in during this exodus of workers.

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If all your actual evaluations say you did fine then they cannot substantiate that your performance was bad and they might've just dug their own grave.

the trainers said i did good, but im sure they wont say anything now without compromising their job security by going against what the supervisor said

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
No health issues, work related incidents, or discrimination. I know one trainer is very liberal and we once kinda had a debate about the crusades and Christianity. At times I wonder if it was good to engage in that conversation and maybe it hurt me in the long run. Its interesting that this happened right after the stock dow crash. Especially after reading this:

While productivity initially bounced after the recession, reflecting a business sector that was shedding excess costs and becoming lean. Recent falls in productivity could force companies to lay-off additional employees in order to keep margins and profitability intact, as recent reports on job cutting by Challenger, Gray & Christmas suggest. June, for example, saw planned lay-offs hit a 16-month high, with government and large corporations like Merck, Borders, Cisco, Lockheed Martin, and Boston Scientific leading the way. (Read Economy Moving At Snail Speed, ISM, Jobs Report Show).

Furthermore, unit labor costs increased 2.2% in the second quarter, possibly putting additional pressure on margins. Interestingly, the quarter’s increase reflects a 1.9% increase in hourly compensation, with hourly compensation in the first quarter revised upwardly to 4.8% from 0.7%

U.S. Productivity Falls As Labor Costs Rise Putting Pressure On Weak Job Markets - Forbes

Maybe they assumed this general fall in productivity and decided that this would be the reason. Maybe it was why they were so vague. Idk. I have phone interview in 5-10 min though, so I hope it goes well.

It could be religious discrimination.

Have you talked to a labor lawyer?

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It could be religious discrimination.

Have you talked to a labor lawyer?

It probably would be futile since I was a contractor and we really have no workers rights, no union either. That's why most of boston is filled up with contractors and not employees, so they don't have to pay them sick pay, benefits, or vacation time and can throw them away when they feel like it without any reprisals. One reason I'm having such a hard time is that I have never been terminated from a job before, this is the first time, so I have never had dealt with the emotional roller coaster it can cause one. I haven't been able to eat much for 2 days because I still feel so sick to my stomach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
It probably would be futile since I was a contractor and we really have no workers rights, no union either. That's why most of boston is filled up with contractors and not employees, so they don't have to pay them sick pay, benefits, or vacation time and can throw them away when they feel like it without any reprisals. One reason I'm having such a hard time is that I have never been terminated from a job before, this is the first time, so I have never had dealt with the emotional roller coaster it can cause one. I haven't been able to eat much for 2 days because I still feel so sick to my stomach.

Do you live in Boston ?

Upvote 0

Franze

Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟2,139.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In Spain we have a strong debate about labour affairs, about firing, the 9,2% official unemployment of US that is more in reality and all these things, all these multinationals are monsters that are eating all what they find and I think that all are vulnerable and not necessary, the middle class is boken in many countries as Spain, UK and other countries, and only in Japan, Switzerland and little other countries they survive. in addition the immigration have lowered the wages and politicians are making a gobal agenda to any place, because the debt crisis and the uncertainity is killing the economy.
Not very optimistic, I know.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I cannot. Since I am a contractor, and because of that I have absolutely no protection or rights at all against this type of thing. They had me for a while and since there are new people coming in they can throw me away like used tissue. Over half of the company is hired contractors since they don't have to pay benefits or bonus and holidays. Most of the supervisors are in their early 20s, since its much cheaper to hire them than older more experience people, and because of this they fool around all day and expect people to treat them like they are the homecoming king. The ones who don't, better watch your shoulder. I will be getting Unemployment but no back pay or severance, plus my parents will help a little too. I keep thinking of Deuteronomy 24:14

I'm starting to wonder if the big stock crash had anything to do with it too. Since BSX tumbled down really far. Apparently people disappear left and right pretty fast here. It's just too cutthroat and un-ethical the way these people act and behave. They seem to have no moral compass except that of money and capital gain

I'm contracting myself, and I kinda like the independence I have. However, the company I work were working on taking me in direct,, but I told them last week that I want to stay as a contractor.

Over the course of my 35 years in the electronic engineering field, contractors who's performance doesn't exceed that of the direct employees are generally let go first when they down-size. Performance doesn't mean you didn't do go work, it means your performance wasn't hire than the direct employees they must keep.

Anyway, try not to take it personal and see this as another door opening up for you.

Always stay Christ centered and trust that God will make things work out for the better.

I'll be praying for you.

God Bless
Jim

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm contracting myself, and I kinda like the independence I have. However, the company I work were working on taking me in direct,, but I told them last week that I want to stay as a contractor.

Over the course of my 35 years in the electronic engineering field, contractors who's performance doesn't exceed that of the direct employees are generally let go first when they down-size. Performance doesn't mean you didn't do go work, it means your performance wasn't hire than the direct employees they must keep.

Anyway, try not to take it personal and see this as another door opening up for you.

Always stay Christ centered and trust that God will make things work out for the better.

I'll be praying for you.

God Bless
Jim

I would not recommend staying as a contractor. There is no job security or benefits staying as a contractor.

Just thought I'd update ..

As far as another door opening up it seems I got called in for a position at St. Jude and just passed their preliminary exam and tests yesterday. Tomorrow I go back in for more reviewing at 1pm, but it seems like I might have a chance since they called me back to come back in again. The workload is more than Boston, which they said can go up to 60 hours a week with overtime. But I like the environment a lot better than Boston and the people seem to be a little nicer and not as cutthroat as Boston. I hope it goes well tomorrow. There is also another position that I applied at Delta airlines that want me to come in this week to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would not recommend staying as a contractor. There is no job security or benefits staying as a contractor.

Just thought I'd update ..

As far as another door opening up it seems I got called in for a position at St. Jude and just passed their preliminary exam and tests yesterday. Tomorrow I go back in for more reviewing at 1pm, but it seems like I might have a chance since they called me back to come back in again. The workload is more than Boston, which they said can go up to 60 hours a week with overtime. But I like the environment a lot better than Boston and the people seem to be a little nicer and not as cutthroat as Boston. I hope it goes well tomorrow. There is also another position that I applied at Delta airlines that want me to come in this week to.

My prayers. Stay positive and focused. Forget about Boston.

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Looks like I got the job. Boss said he wanted to take me on and training starts next week since it takes a few days for all my forms to process. Just gotta do drug test and background check. Kinda worried about a speeding ticket that might be on my record, but it seems my background check at boston was okay and never had any problems. Although I was told St. Jude has really extensive background check. Was told speeding ticket shouldn't be too big of an issue, but still kinda worried. Interview with boss was pretty stressfull because I was told by human resources that he can be kinda callous. But it wasn't too bad and he said he wants to hire me.

I have another interview tomorrow with another company actually. I wonder if I should take it just in case the speeding ticket on my record screws up my employment at Jude's. I may as well just in case. I hate cancelling appointments because it might hurt my reputation with the company thats interviewing me and might blacklist my name. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you can interview with the other company, do so.

Perhaps they will offer you a better package.

Go with the best package and the most promising job.
It is important to meet your fellow workers too.
If you like a particular boss, go with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you can interview with the other company, do so.

Perhaps they will offer you a better package.

Go with the best package and the most promising job.
It is important to meet your fellow workers too.
If you like a particular boss, go with him.

Just got back from the interview at the other place. The job they are offering is in my suburb. Around the same pay, just a little bit more. But the only problem is its a glass company, and he stated that in the winter it gets slow and the workers tend to get laid off, go on unemployment for 3-4 months, and then start working again around March. So starting this month he said I would probably be working around 4 months for this year until next year in March hits. The hiring guy was super nice though.

St. Jude is around .50 less an hour. A 30 min drive, and the boss is kinda callous. However it is a 6 month contract, has more hours (50-60) each week, and has more of a stable position.

Gonna be kinda hard to choose. The glass place is nice being so close to me and the supervisor seems really nice, but being laid off in the winter kinda is tough. St. Jude is good, but the drive is kinda tough and from what I heard from HR the boss can be kinda mean and rude at times.

While I was typing this I just got a call from Wells Fargo for a customer service mortgage position that is around a year and a half. But they are emailing me this test they want me to take that I have to pass to be considered. Will be a hard decision in the end with what to go with.

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers.

This reminds me what Chesterton would says that communism AND capitalism are equally evil - Big Government and Big Business. I think you are a victim of Big Business.

You may want to get a lawyer. Unless they can be more specific on why they say you lack good performance, you may have a case. If they cannot back it up with specifics, then they could be found guilty of discrimination of some sort. Maybe its youor age, your race, or your religion. If so, you could have a case.

Upvote 0

StThomasMore

Christian Democrat
Feb 27, 2011
✟17,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I finally landed work! I start at St. Jude hospital tomorrow working with catheters. Their application process took around a week but I finally passed everything and start training tomorrow. I feel relieved because I was sweating bullets through that whole week of interviews, screenings, and tests. Hopefully I will be able to keep some food down now since the anxiety and worry is lessened.

This reminds me what Chesterton would says that communism AND capitalism are equally evil - Big Government and Big Business. I think you are a victim of Big Business.

You may want to get a lawyer. Unless they can be more specific on why they say you lack good performance, you may have a case. If they cannot back it up with specifics, then they could be found guilty of discrimination of some sort. Maybe its youor age, your race, or your religion. If so, you could have a case.
Pope Leo disliked both pretty much. Communism is the regulated controlling of people, and capitalism is the unregulated exploitation of workers and people. I doubt I would have a case though and it would probably be a waste of time. The trainer would argue at me with the whole marriage issue thing, as well as things like abortion and the bible. And she knew I was christian and would always make comments like "how could anyone believe such a stupid book", or "how could anyone believe in an angry jealous God", and that she "was more moral than God". I think they were more like jabs to try to get me to react to her. She was nice though in every other aspect and we got along, but she would go on tangents when Christianity was brought up. I would try to bring up a middle ground with her regarding my opinion, but I may have shot myself in the foot doing so. Either way there is no way I could relate those discussions with their allegations regarding performance. Another odd thing was the performance reports only started happening after the big stock crash, before that I had no issues. One worker said they might have been trying to avoid paying unemployment taxes and did the 'performance excuse' to opt out on that. I guess I will never figure it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I finally landed work! I start at St. Jude hospital tomorrow working with catheters. Their application process took around a week but I finally passed everything and start training tomorrow. I feel relieved because I was sweating bullets through that whole week of interviews, screenings, and tests. Hopefully I will be able to keep some food down now since the anxiety and worry is lessened.

Awesome :thumbsup:
Praying all goes well ~ Congrats and blessing :pray:

Upvote 0