Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“What good is it … if someone says he has faith but does not have works?” asks the Epistle of St. James. “Can that faith save him?” (Jas 2:14). One implication of this rhetorical question is that authentic faith will necessarily yield good works. The grace imparted by our faith in the Risen Lord supply both the means and the motivation to perform spiritual and corporal works of mercy. “I will demonstrate my faith … from my works,” the author declares (Jas 2:18). Works are a kind of proof of faith.

In the Catholic tradition, we also understand that good works are a means of developing, exercising and growing into one’s faith. The author of the epistle uses Abraham as the paradigmatic example of this. Abraham’s works were not in addition to his faith but a necessary aspect of it. “You see that faith was active along with his works,” explains St. James, “and faith was completed by his works” (Jas 2:22). Abraham’s works breathed life into his faith — they animated it. Thus, the epistle famously declares: “faith … if it does not have works, is dead” (Jas 2:17).

Put another way, in the context of Christian faith, works themselves are grace-receiving and grace-bearing. Because of the merits of Christ, works convey grace both to the recipient of good works and to those who perform them. Works of penance after confession are the most obvious example of this dynamic, intimate, inseparable relationship between the faith and works that, together, bear salvific grace. Jesus, himself, affirms this relationship as recorded in the Gospel of St. Matthew: “Whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me” (Mt 25:40). The context both in the Gospel and the epistle, of course, is the death and resurrection of Christ. The gratuitous work of Our Risen Lord makes it all possible.

Questions explored in ‘Absolution’​

Continued below.

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have been thinking about this for a long time, and I was a Protestant for a number of years before the Lord called me home to His Church.
The Protestants say we are saved by faith apart from works, and it has an air of truth about it. We are not saved by our works that we want to do.
Jesus tells us in the sermon about the sheep and the goats and Our Lord tells us of the iudgement

According to Matthew 7:22, many will say to me that Day, have we not prophesied in your name, cast out devils and performed miracles in your name? Jesus tells them, away from me I never knew you.

Many Christians want to say that they are relying on Jesus name alone and His finished work, yet still want to be seen as great and powerful by prophesy, casting out devils and performing miracles, yet Jesus call us to do the work of His Father. Those are the works that are not possible except by grace, but are nevertheless required.
They can be summed up as poverty, chastity and obedience. If a soul is newly born again, they should begin their work by prayer, fasting and almsgiving. We grow in sanctification and make are calling and election sure by detaching our hearts from the things of this world, and store up for ourselves treasures in heaven.

Narrow is the way, straight is the gate that leads to life. We should earnestly desire the best gifts, and prophesy, casting out devils and working of miracles are great works, but if we do them instead of following Jesus command to deny ourselves and take up our cross, He will say I never knew you.

So what if you can prophesy and everyone at church likes you. So what if you have claimed to have planted churches and lead many people to the Lord?

Obedience is the hardest work. Who do you obey? Do you submit to God’s Church, or do you think you know better and can handle things on your own? Do you detach your heart from gold and silver, or do you desire wealth so that you can allegedly give more to the Lord?

Consider the widow with two pennies. Jesus praised her in front of His disciples. She was demonstrating the works of poverty as she did not cling to her pennies, she was chaste, as she was a widow, and she was obedient because she put the pennies into the treasury of the Temple where God dwelled, as evidenced by His Ark of the Covenant

Upvote 0