I am such a lukewarm Christian...

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am such a lukewarm "Christian" I don't evangelize, I hardly ever give to charity or do anything real Christians do. I'm a Christian on paper but I'm not a Christian in action. Just about all I do all day is play video games to wait for my wife to come home from work and watch TV with her when she gets home. That's it. That's my life. I don't take the time to evangelize in video games which is what I always wanted to do because video games are my main talent and I know how to talk to people.

I hardly if ever go to church even though I'm really good friends with our Elder and his wife and the deacons at our church. But, our elder doesn't mind because my wife has to spend many Sundays working and our church is an hour drive away. So he doesn't get on my case in fact, he keeps telling me that everything will be alright. I keep telling him that all I do is live in sin and he says "Join the club" and when I tell him about the video games though he says that I should be a Christian of action. Actively going out there and preaching the gospel. Donating what I can and being there for people.

So maybe my video game idea isn't that bad afterall. But, I never if hardly ever act on it. I'm just depressed and sick of being too disabled to work myself. If I worked at a job I could at least practice being kind to others and I could earn extra income to help make a difference in the world.

But since I'm schizophrenic/bipolar and manic sometimes for months at a time that just isn't going to realistically happen. I know ultimately God is in control and I'm living the best life that I possibly can but I just feel apart from God. Its like I don't even care anymore. Don't get me wrong I love God and I love the Biblical Jesus. I know he died for my every sin past present and future now and forever. I know he is guiding me every step of the way but I feel so distanced from God and I feel so alone. There's gotta be other lukewarm Christians out there that can relate...

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can relate, Neostar. Not just to being lukewarm but to just about everything you are struggling with. I admire your candor and desire to draw nearer to God. The only advice I can give is what absolutely worked for me.

About 2 years ago I felt a conviction to start each day with a devotional. I had avoided this advice for 30 years, but my backslidden state had made me desperate. So I did it. No particular formula, but definitely a combination of Word and prayer. I did it until it became a new habit - and now it has become essential in finding any satisfaction in my walk. There's something about doing it daily - like receiving daily bread.

After some time it dawned on me what the Lord was accomplishing - returning me to my "first love". And not so coincidentally reestablishing my identity in Him. I had no idea how deeply I had come to doubt my own standing until He brought me to face it. And He was very delighted to do so. I recognize His Spirit in me again, just like the old days.

The subsequent result is that I have had the privilege of witnessing victory over such age-old obstacles as obsession with the stigma of mental illness (which had me paralyzed), addiction to idols that I used just to cope, and frankly an over-dependence on what everyone else thinks about me. I am free and it is all His work. I'm sure there's more to come.

What's most encouraging is that He is teaching me to love others again, even those who are or have rejected me. And most delightfully I am seeing Him use me as a witness again.

I still have major challenges, but have confidence that when He tells us that "He who began a good work in you SHALL complete it" - He means it.

If I'm off-base forgive me. Just wanted to say that I relate and offer just one possibility that might help. God bless!

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was lukewarm for my first 21 years of being a Christian. I have MH issues. But I chose to overcome what I could and leave the rest in the Lords hands. Read your Bible and praying for people is action. He will know you then if you are on the path of the righteous, repenting too. You can be close to Him in prayer, in loving your wife. I count sharing on here something good.

My wife is sick (Body). She is standing on past works. Sick people have special standing with the lord, for His mercy. She is receiving from the lord and should be the church. That would make her feel OK. I relate to ya, but I just had to get ‘er movin’. I didn’t know I could.

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although I've been a Bible believing, saved Christian all of my life, my career and self centered interests overshadowed my faith. Like many if not most professing Christians and Catholics, I spent most of my life being silent, passive, and minimally engaged with my faith. A few things changed that, and perhaps my experience can help you Neostarwcc.

First, I discovered the huge world of Christian apologetics which set me on a path of learning why Christianity is the one true faith over all other world religions and why the Bible can be trusted as true and valid. From history, science, prophesy, and manuscript evidence, the material supporting our faith is varied, extensive, and amazingly interesting. There's a lifetime of studying to be done with the topics so numerous that I never tire of it. This connection between my faith and the evidence of it in today's world has ignited my interest in it immensely since I started reading and learning more about it. For me at least, reading the Bible, praying, and going to church part time may have led me to being a saved Christian, but learning about the thousands of details the real world reveals about God and the Bible gave me a heightened passion for it. The more Christian apologetic topics I learn about, the more interesting, applicable and important my faith is realized.

Second, I've discovered the wide variety of social issues connected to God and the Bible. From America's Founding Fathers and the country's Christian heritage to the secular nation we're now becoming, the political and cultural battles and ramifications are as interesting as they are divisive and important. I now understand that religious beliefs and values dictate cultural trends and values and also understand the spiritual battle that's going on as the Bible details. And thus, the more Christian cultural topics I learn about, the more interesting, applicable and important my faith is realized.

Third, I've discovered the fascinating areas of eschatology that have me noticing now the world's geopolitical affairs, the related Bible prophesies of what's to come, and the next life awaiting me. The more I learn about these things, the more interesting, applicable and important my faith is realized.

Finally, I've increased my learning and interest in all these matters by watching two sermons or presentations each day. Each morning while doing my exercise routine I watch a YouTube sermon focused on Christian growth and living . Each evening while eating dinner I watch an apologetic presentation. Doing this for the past several years has yielded me several apparent benefits:

- my knowledge and interest in God, the Bible, and Christian doctrinal issues has grown exponentially,
- my foundation, trust, hope, confidence and ability to defend my faith has grown exponentially,
- my knowledge and interest in cultural, political, and world events has grown exponentially,
- I've grown a passion for my faith that now has it as the core of my life rather than a mere part,
- I've grown an acute awareness of faith related issues relating to daily contacts and events, and
- I've grown bold with my faith, more eager to engage others for witnessing opportunities.

I hope something here might inspire you or others to acquire some of the passion for your faith that we all want and need. In my case, devoting more time to learning "about" my faith resulted in my becoming more interested and engaged "with" my faith.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Corinthians were not fully developed (1 Cor 3:1-3). Paul did not admonish them for their lack of works, but for their immaturity. Consider how you can use your free time to research the bible and grow in understanding and wisdom. You can search the web to find videos and web pages that are actually helpful (perhaps as much as 1%). By sifting through the less than helpful ones, you can save time for brothers and sisters in Christ who do not have the time you do.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses/advice. I do have a lot of free time. Too much in fact. With my wife working 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week I have a lot of free time. I used to spend a lot more time in the Bible when I first became a Christian about 10 years ago. I spent 5-10 times a week reading the Bible and . When my wife and I first got married nearly 8 years ago we spent 24 hours a day together up until about August of last year. She got a job at Walmart to help out with the finances because I was only getting $900 a month in ssi payments and we were trying to live off of that.

I think I can spend some of my free time getting to know the Bible. I do after all love theology and would major in it if I had the money. I would watch sermons on YouTube but I like watching them with my wife and she barely has time for them anymore. So I guess I could go through our saved videos and watch a sermon or two when she's at work.

There's excuses and then there is actually doing something about my lukewarmness. I need to stop making excuses and start evangelizing online. Make a few friends to talk to.

I had a really close friend that I shared the gospel with and everything but he recently removed my wife and I from discord and went his own separate way. He doesn't want to be friends with us anymore I guess. Probably because I talked about Jesus a lot and kind of told him straight out that I didn't approve of him sleeping with men. I'm far too old fashioned lol.

I'll try applying your advice guys and really work hard at this. I want to get closer to God and want to start doing the works that he prepared for me to do beforehand.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Since you confess to being lukewarm, I'll go strait to what Jesus said to the Lukewarm. We already know what lukewarm is, so I'll just share His remedy:
Revelation 3:18-22
"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

Now, the gold tried in the fire according to Peter is faith under trial:
"That
the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." - 1 Peter 1:7-9

The white raiment is purity, and Christs righteous which is imputed unto you.
1 John 3:1-3
"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

Revelation 19:7-8
"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. (this refers to the Church, the body of Christ, the bride of Christ)
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

The Laodiceans would have known what eyesalve was as they had a medical school and a special eyesalve they used in healing physical sight problems. Jesus says to get all 3 of these things from Him: so it's seeking Jesus for the cure to spiritual blindness, or spiritual vision problems.

Of note; Be zealous therefore and repent. Zealous denotes a burning fervent flame of zeal for the things of God: the Word of God, the cross of Christ, the power of His blood shed for your sins.

I've been as Lukewarm as Laodicea, and as dead as Sardis, as well as some of the more unsavory positions of the other churches. I'd encourage lots of prayer, lots of time in the Word, try to find a Bible preaching church that actually teaches the fundamental doctrines of Christ: the blood atonement, redemption, forgiveness of sin, that you are a sinner in need of His forgiveness: repentance, sanctification, and obedience to His Word.
Press in to the kingdom! Grab it, seize it, like Jacob wrestling the angel, don't let go, and be zealous to do this.

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you have children living with you?

No my wife and I are childless. One or both of us are infertile neither of us have been tested to figure out who. I'm too afraid to and my wife's never bothered to get tested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Since you confess to being lukewarm, I'll go strait to what Jesus said to the Lukewarm. We already know what lukewarm is, so I'll just share His remedy:
Revelation 3:18-22
"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

Now, the gold tried in the fire according to Peter is faith under trial:
"That
the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." - 1 Peter 1:7-9

The white raiment is purity, and Christs righteous which is imputed unto you.
1 John 3:1-3
"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

Revelation 19:7-8
"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. (this refers to the Church, the body of Christ, the bride of Christ)
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

The Laodiceans would have known what eyesalve was as they had a medical school and a special eyesalve they used in healing physical sight problems. Jesus says to get all 3 of these things from Him: so it's seeking Jesus for the cure to spiritual blindness, or spiritual vision problems.

Of note; Be zealous therefore and repent. Zealous denotes a burning fervent flame of zeal for the things of God: the Word of God, the cross of Christ, the power of His blood shed for your sins.

I've been as Lukewarm as Laodicea, and as dead as Sardis, as well as some of the more unsavory positions of the other churches. I'd encourage lots of prayer, lots of time in the Word, try to find a Bible preaching church that actually teaches the fundamental doctrines of Christ: the blood atonement, redemption, forgiveness of sin, that you are a sinner in need of His forgiveness: repentance, sanctification, and obedience to His Word.
Press in to the kingdom! Grab it, seize it, like Jacob wrestling the angel, don't let go, and be zealous to do this.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No my wife and I are childless. One or both of us are infertile neither of us have been tested to figure out who. I'm too afraid to and my wife's never bothered to get tested.
Possibly, you need to trust her more, that she loves you and would not hold infertility against you. She loves you, in spite of other physical issues, doesn't she? So, let her love you. I do not mean to get tested, but simply be thankful for her.

She stays with you, helps by working, stays with you at the TV . . .

Oh, and do not argue and complain; arguing and complaining can help to keep you weak for pleasures including food abuse; and arguing and complaining can keep you from growing strong in God's love > Philippians 2:13-16.

But you can adopt children with your love; I do not mean legally adopting, but by loving other people's kids and enjoying them and truly thanking God for blessing others with their children. Adopt them with prayer and caring for them in your heart.

And you can care for orphans and needy families in other countries, praying for them, maybe donating a little to a ministry that helps them.

And change so you are a good example for others and their children. And you will see what happens when God knows how you have changed in His sight.

Upvote 0

hopefully

Apr 21, 2021
Bavaria
✟16,261.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know how you feel. I'm chronically ill and live with my parents. My ability to concentrate in the Word of God is zero. I have brain fog due to my illness and it is really hard for me to read God's word. I have CFS and chronic lyme disease, feeling tired all day long. So the most of the day I spend with pointless simply things. I play video games or reading in the internet, try to read christian things. I don't have a church and feel alone. I know God is with me all day and I'm so thankful for His mercy and that Jesus died for my sins, but I feel so lukewarm. Again, I know exactly how you feel.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Possibly, you need to trust her more, that she loves you and would not hold infertility against you. She loves you, in spite of other physical issues, doesn't she? So, let her love you. I do not mean to get tested, but simply be thankful for her.

She stays with you, helps by working, stays with you at the TV . . .

Oh, and do not argue and complain; arguing and complaining can help to keep you weak for pleasures including food abuse; and arguing and complaining can keep you from growing strong in God's love > Philippians 2:13-16.

But you can adopt children with your love; I do not mean legally adopting, but by loving other people's kids and enjoying them and truly thanking God for blessing others with their children. Adopt them with prayer and caring for them in your heart.

And you can care for orphans and needy families in other countries, praying for them, maybe donating a little to a ministry that helps them.

And change so you are a good example for others and their children. And you will see what happens when God knows how you have changed in His sight.

No we still love each other even though we can't have children. Or who knows maybe we will have one one day. It happened to Abraham and Sarah afterall when Sarah was supposed to not be able to have children. It happened to my sister as well. When my sister was in her early 20s doctors said she would never have children. She's had 3 since then and she is 40 now. But her last baby she lost within the first 3 months of pregnancy. I had 2 other brothers/sisters as well but my mom lost them too. I do appreciate my wife for everything she does. She is a fantastic wife. Truly, there is virtually nothing wrong with her and we barely argue. Usually our arguments are "do the dishes" or "this house is filthy and I'm the only one picking it up." You know very common arguments. She works but she is lazy and would much rather play video games or watch TV than clean or do dishes. I try to get the dishes done for her because I do virtually nothing and she works so it's fair but it's hard with my weight to do much physical activity. So my wife is stuck doing almost everything by herself. Kinda eats me inside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know how you feel. I'm chronically ill and live with my parents. My ability to concentrate in the Word of God is zero. I have brain fog due to my illness and it is really hard for me to read God's word. I have CFS and chronic lyme disease, feeling tired all day long. So the most of the day I spend with pointless simply things. I play video games or reading in the internet, try to read christian things. I don't have a church and feel alone. I know God is with me all day and I'm so thankful for His mercy and that Jesus died for my sins, but I feel so lukewarm. Again, I know exactly how you feel.

I lived with my parents until 2014. I was born in 1986. I didn't move out until I was almost 30. I only moved out because I had met my wife and wanted to make a good impression. Otherwise I would still be in that toxic environment (long story).

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am such a lukewarm "Christian" I don't evangelize, I hardly ever give to charity or do anything real Christians do. I'm a Christian on paper but I'm not a Christian in action. Just about all I do all day is play video games to wait for my wife to come home from work and watch TV with her when she gets home. That's it. That's my life. I don't take the time to evangelize in video games which is what I always wanted to do because video games are my main talent and I know how to talk to people.

I hardly if ever go to church even though I'm really good friends with our Elder and his wife and the deacons at our church. But, our elder doesn't mind because my wife has to spend many Sundays working and our church is an hour drive away. So he doesn't get on my case in fact, he keeps telling me that everything will be alright. I keep telling him that all I do is live in sin and he says "Join the club" and when I tell him about the video games though he says that I should be a Christian of action. Actively going out there and preaching the gospel. Donating what I can and being there for people.

So maybe my video game idea isn't that bad afterall. But, I never if hardly ever act on it. I'm just depressed and sick of being too disabled to work myself. If I worked at a job I could at least practice being kind to others and I could earn extra income to help make a difference in the world.

But since I'm schizophrenic/bipolar and manic sometimes for months at a time that just isn't going to realistically happen. I know ultimately God is in control and I'm living the best life that I possibly can but I just feel apart from God. Its like I don't even care anymore. Don't get me wrong I love God and I love the Biblical Jesus. I know he died for my every sin past present and future now and forever. I know he is guiding me every step of the way but I feel so distanced from God and I feel so alone. There's gotta be other lukewarm Christians out there that can relate...

Then you're not in the faith.

You know how to recitify that. Apparently it's just a matter of actually doing so yes?

Upvote 0