God's Will VS. Your Own Thoughts/Desires?

HolyHeart

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟7,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering how to know when something is God's will for you and when it's just your own thoughts/desires. There have been times when I have been in prayer and then things would come to mind...like maybe that small, still voice, that would seem to be answers to my prayer. More recently there has been an issue on which I am needing to know God's will. So, I've been praying about it alot and just the other day after praying these thoughts came to mind that seem to be answers to the prayer and guidence in this. But, I'm not sure if it is just my own thoughts or desires or if it is actually from God. I then prayed for confirmation and after praying I had a vision. I was awake but still had my eyes closed as I had when I was praying. The vision seemed to go right along with what may have been God's words to me in answer to that prayer.
Anyway, the question I have is: How do you know when something is from God and when it's just your own thoughts and/or desires?

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
I think in your present situation, just from what you've described, it sounds like you've got God's go ahead. But I've been in that same situation where I have a decision to make and I dont know what to do.

A mentor told me once that in situations like that, God will give you confirming signs to show that your action is the right one. If you prayed for conformation, and you believe that you indeed get some, I'd proceed. If you're making a mistake, I presume God will interfere in some way.

Upvote 0

TheOrthodoxOne

Sep 5, 2007
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering how to know when something is God's will for you and when it's just your own thoughts/desires. There have been times when I have been in prayer and then things would come to mind...like maybe that small, still voice, that would seem to be answers to my prayer. More recently there has been an issue on which I am needing to know God's will. So, I've been praying about it alot and just the other day after praying these thoughts came to mind that seem to be answers to the prayer and guidence in this. But, I'm not sure if it is just my own thoughts or desires or if it is actually from God. I then prayed for confirmation and after praying I had a vision. I was awake but still had my eyes closed as I had when I was praying. The vision seemed to go right along with what may have been God's words to me in answer to that prayer.
Anyway, the question I have is: How do you know when something is from God and when it's just your own thoughts and/or desires?

For the long-term; what best will assist you is by aligning your desires with His. Then whether it's you or Him, you can trust that it's Him.

Upvote 0

Ainustorm

Jul 18, 2007
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well Holy, to me you answered your own questions. You see if you are saved, what you described is in alot of ways the Spirit speak s to us.

What is cool is that God spoke to me Sunday night. It was weird... I was trying to go to sleep. My thighs started hurting, and i just could not go asleep. After about a 1/2 hr I finally called out to Him, are you trying to tell me something. Like you, He spoke, not like I heard His voice directly. But thoughts came to like He did speak. He reminded me that He was the provider, you see I was going back to school, to get a degree to get a better paying job. It was all about me being the provider. He also stated that I finish my Biblical couseling degree. It was an amazing feeling. Peace cam into me. Sometimes He may not answer right away. I have had that happen aswell. Right now i am looking for a new job, do not like where i am, He has not open a door, but He has not said no. It is all about trusting and waiting for His timing. He does speak, and Holy it sure sounds like He answered your prayers. You did the right thing, pray and LISTEN! For He is the whisper in the air:thumbsup: ;)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A mentor told me once that in situations like that, God will give you confirming signs to show that your action is the right one. If you prayed for conformation, and you believe that you indeed get some, I'd proceed. If you're making a mistake, I presume God will interfere in some way.
Yes, He will indeed interfere if you--in good faith--proceed with something which you feel impressed is His will but is, in reality, not.

A prayer i use in this regard which has never failed me yet is:

"LORD, OPEN THOSE DOORS WHICH YOU WOULD HAVE OPENED, AND CLOSE THOSE YOU WOULD HAVE CLOSED. THY WILL BE DONE!

ephraim

Upvote 0

BobbyS

Oct 5, 2007
✟7,621.00
Faith
Christian
Holy Heart. I just wanted to say that if you were able to discern God's voice and seperate it from your own thoughts and desires, everytime you had a decision to make or came to a cross roads, it would remove your free will. God did not create us to be puppets. A minister once said to me, all that is good in us and all good that comes from us is God, all the rest is ourself. He was only half joking. My point is if you follow what you know to be good, if you follow your heart and follow love, you are likely to be doing Gods will. That is a more realistic compass to follow.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you were able to discern God's voice and seperate it from your own thoughts and desires, everytime you had a decision to make or came to a cross roads, it would remove your free will.
That's very likely.

It seems like when people have visions or prophesies, they are meant to confirm or support something that wouldn't be clear enough with logic and common sense, or even with the still small voice. While I don't consider every vision godly, I agree with dbot that this is probably God's way of supporting you in this decision.

You seem to already know about checking choices against the Word of God... beyond that, I would just say to pray for safety and guidance while you're jumping out into the unknown. He will be there.
If it's wrong, He'll tell you. (Lord, tell her if she starts to get out of a safe zone. )

Upvote 0