✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That did not answer my question.
I answered the question. Of course I expected you to look it up for yourself. The story we read is in Mark. This is also a passage from Isaiah that talks about a place called Gehenna translated Hell in the English. The passage in Isaiah at the end of his book is said to be the Valley of Hinnom. This is said to be a garbage dump in the day of Jesus where they took the garbage to burn it. It was a place where the fire always burned and the garbage is never consumed. We are told after the great battle of armageddon the Bodies of those who fought against God will be thrown into the garbage dump at Gehenna. So when you ask the question are sinners garbage then the answer is they must be if they are thrown into a garbage dump to be burned in the fires there. Jesus said it is better to lose an arm or a leg then for your whole body to be thrown into the fire that is never quenched.

1) Hell is the place of the future punishment call "Gehenna" or
"Gehenna of fire". This was originally the valley of Hinnom,
south of Jerusalem, where the filth and dead animals of the
city were cast out and burned; a fit symbol of the wicked and
their future destruction.

Mark9:43"If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, 44where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.

Isa66:24"Then they will go forth and look On the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. For their worm will not die And their fire will not be quenched; And they will be an abhorrence to all mankind."

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Nearly as unreasonable and dogmatic as the claim that there is no God.

I have never made such a claim.
Such a claim is not needed in order to be an atheist.

In the same vein, I don't believe that Bigfoot exists. However, I won't out and out claim that Bigfoot does not exist. I am open to evidence for Bigfoot, but remained unconvinced because quality evidence for Bigfoot has never been produced.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I answered the question. Of course I expected you to look it up for yourself. The story we read is in Mark. This is also a passage from Isaiah that talks about a place called Gehenna translated Hell in the English. The passage in Isaiah at the end of his book is said to be the Valley of Hinnom. This is said to be a garbage dump in the day of Jesus where they took the garbage to burn it. It was a place where the fire always burned and the garbage is never consumed. We are told after the great battle of armageddon the Bodies of those who fought against God will be thrown into the garbage dump at Gehenna. So when you ask the question are sinners garbage then the answer is they must be if they are thrown into a garbage dump to be burned in the fires there. Jesus said it is better to lose an arm or a leg then for your whole body to be thrown into the fire that is never quenched.

1) Hell is the place of the future punishment call "Gehenna" or
"Gehenna of fire". This was originally the valley of Hinnom,
south of Jerusalem, where the filth and dead animals of the
city were cast out and burned; a fit symbol of the wicked and
their future destruction.

Mark9:43"If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, 44where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.

Isa66:24"Then they will go forth and look On the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. For their worm will not die And their fire will not be quenched; And they will be an abhorrence to all mankind."

My qustion is a simple yes/no. I dont care for your (bad) theology.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A bit like the Big Bang fairy story then - a mishmash of weird theories, held together with sticking plaster. No actually, the notion of "In the beginning God..." makes much more sense.

Kind of like sex... the stork "makes much more sense" than two people creating life from just a couple of cells -- besides, since when does one and one make three?

Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My qustion is a simple yes/no. I dont care for your (bad) theology.
There is nothing "bad" about my theology. IT is very standard teaching in the Christian community. Perhaps you prefer Dante's teaching on the subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I have never made such a claim.
Such a claim is not needed in order to be an atheist.

In the same vein, I don't believe that Bigfoot exists. However, I won't out and out claim that Bigfoot does not exist. I am open to evidence for Bigfoot, but remained unconvinced because quality evidence for Bigfoot has never been produced.
Ok, take a deep breath and read the second sentence of the post that you have partially quoted. Nobody has claimed you were an atheist. i can read the faith categories under the user name.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For those of you who can't sleep at night without knowing how God did it, I present these two verses just for you:

Job 9:10 Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.

Romans 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out.

Sleep tight! :)

I sleep at night just fine.

I believe that God did it in the same way that the Death Star was able to generate the huge amount of energy needed to destroy Alderaan. It's the way the story goes, so someone wrote it down and that was that.

Fiction is easy like that.

Reactions: poggytyke
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How true. For thousands of years the phenomena observed by humans had entirely supernatural explanations.

- How does it rain?
- Why are there seasons?
- Why are there tides?
- What causes lightning?
- What causes sickness?

And a thousand others. All were explained by the supernatural. As Man's understanding increased, it was seen that the supernatural was an incorrect
And that's where you're wrong.
Creation (verb) itself is supernatural, God is supernatural.
Creation (noun) however is what we call natural, and we can analyze and comprehend things about it, learn / discover how things work.

Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For thousands of years the phenomena observed by humans had entirely supernatural explanations.

- How does it rain?
- Why are there seasons?
- Why are there tides?
- What causes lightning?
- What causes sickness?

And a thousand others. All were explained by the supernatural. As Man's understanding increased, it was seen that the supernatural was an incorrect and useless explanation for these phenomena.
What caused the destruction in Hiroshima?
Was it the atomic bomb or was it the U.S. government?

What caused the destruction in Missouri?
Was it the tornado or was it God's government?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Nearly as unreasonable and dogmatic as the claim that there is no God.

That's probably why you're not an Atheist.
No, that´s why I am atheist who doesn´t claim that there is no God.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, that´s why I am atheist who doesn´t claim that there is no God.
i really appreciate the saying under your user Avatar. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how much i have to harp on people to define their terms.

We can often use the same terms and language, and mean completely different things. Can't have a conversation that way.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
i really appreciate the saying under your user Avatar. You have no idea (or maybe you do) how much i have to harp on people to define their terms.

Indeed, and on top people often find this insistence offensive. It can be frustrating at times.

We can often use the same terms and language, and mean completely different things. Can't have a conversation that way.
Yes, that´s a problem.
However, if you spend some time in these forums you will notice that there´s hardly any self-professed atheist around who claims "there is no God".
So, for all practical intents and purposes, I think we can put that definition to rest.

Upvote 0