At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour

It is sad that people will spend time and effort trying to fight wars that they lost 200 years ago.

Still if they've got the time to blunder around making themselves look ridiculous with their inability to grasp some simple scientific facts who are we to dissuade them ?

It's entertainment for the more advanced among us ;)

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is sad that people will spend time and effort trying to fight wars that they lost 200 years ago.

Still if they've got the time to blunder around making themselves look ridiculous with their inability to?

It's entertainment for the more advanced among us ;)

While I know this doesn't really relate directly, it relates to the fact that the various geo topics being debated were settled centuries ago. I have this to provide as a badge of honor (c) to those creationists who dare take on ooooold news.

Upvote 0

cerad

Zebra Fan
Dec 2, 2004
✟10,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why stop there? Let's just employ Occam's Razor and say "Noah didn't exist"?

Instead of cherry-picking the events in his life.

That would be easier, wouldn't it?
Now you are starting to understand. Noah is a fictional character. He never existed. Neither did Adam/Eve/Moses and a whole bunch of other folks.

Welcome to the non-fictional side.

Upvote 0

Faithword

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I thought the article at http://www.godandscience.org/apologe...ocalflood.html is a very interesting article however
i would like to make a point about this part of the article which I quote below

"The passage in this instance refers to the people of the earth, since planet earth itself was not corrupt. Likewise, Genesis 9:11 is referring to the people of the earth rather than the planet itself. Ultimately, even if the flood were global, it did not "destroy the earth," but just the people on the earth. As stated above, "people" is often understood from the Hebrew word erets".

Yes he makes a good point that earth can refer to the people of the earth. But in some sense the earth was destroyed. I mean Genesis 6:13 says "And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth".

NIV GENESIS 6:13 So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth"

So Genesis 6:13 shows a distinction between people(flesh) and the earth its self.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now you are starting to understand. Noah is a fictional character. He never existed. Neither did Adam/Eve/Moses and a whole bunch of other folks.

Welcome to the non-fictional side.
Oh, I'm quite sure that all of the above are based on real people and events, even though the names have probably been corrupted beyone all relation to the original, and the relative biographies would only bear the slightest, most oblique relation to the mythology around them. But I'm sure that, through an appropriate filter of context, historical background, and rational thought, one can deduce from the old testament what is likely to have literally happened, what is likely based on real historical events, and what has been so corrupted in the retelling via mouth to mouth transmission over the millenia that it has become, essentially, fictional

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
The way I see itis that it is God's earth -He designed it and created everything on it -if He was not too happy with what His created people thought of it and were trashing it on Him I suppose he had every right to kick them off it except for the ones who were in His good books (which only happened to be Noah and his family). Perhaps Noah is the prime example of the "survival of the fittest " that the evolutionists speak about but overlook the spiritual dimension within the whole scheme of things.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The way I see itis that it is God's earth -He designed it and created everything on it -if He was not too happy with what His created people thought of it and were trashing it on Him I suppose he had every right to kick them off it except for the ones who were in His good books (which only happened to be Noah and his family). Perhaps Noah is the prime example of the "survival of the fittest " that the evolutionists speak about but overlook the spiritual dimension within the whole scheme of things.

First unevidenced assumption: God exists.
Second unevidenced assumption: The Bible is true and inerrant
Third unevidenced assumption: Noah existed.
Fourth unevidenced assumption: A deity referred to as "God" created the universe, the earth and every living thing.
Fifth unevidenced assumption: "Survival of the fittest" is a scientific term.
Sixth unevidenced assumption: Something called a "spriritual dimension."

That's enough for just this one post... perhaps, in the future, you could try not just assuming everything you think is a fact.

Upvote 0
B

Boomygrrl

Noah, who got drunk and his family, one of which was his son who looked lustingly over him...they were the only ones who were in "His good books"? Were there not children or babies in the community that God could have saved? If God is omnipotent, why didn't he just zap the ones he did not love anymore (and thus wanted to throw away) rather than drown them...that sounds more benevolent?

The story depicts an awful God. Why would any Christian, who loves the Lord, would want to continue to think of God this way. Is it so you can say "see what my God can do, you better fear him!!"

Boomygrrl

Upvote 0

DArceri

Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord.
Nov 14, 2006
✟11,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Noah, who got drunk and his family, one of which was his son who looked lustingly over him...they were the only ones who were in "His good books"? Were there not children or babies in the community that God could have saved? If God is omnipotent, why didn't he just zap the ones he did not love anymore (and thus wanted to throw away) rather than drown them...that sounds more benevolent?

The story depicts an awful God. Why would any Christian, who loves the Lord, would want to continue to think of God this way. Is it so you can say "see what my God can do, you better fear him!!"

Boomygrrl
I see this all the time by atheists. ...The God of the bible is aweful and unfair because he kills the good with the bad.

Hey, open you brain, God sent those to HELL who deserved it and brought the innocent HOME EARLY to be with HIM. They are living a life of eternal bliss. Sorry to bust your bubble on this concept. God is HOLY and JUST, and He has reasons that you will never comprehend since you are not HIS children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I see this all the time by atheists. ...The God of the bible is aweful and unfair because he kills the good with the bad.

Hey, open you brain, God sent those to HELL who deserved it and brought the innocent HOME EARLY to be with HIM. They are living a life of eternal bliss. Sorry to bust your bubble on this concept. God is HOLY and JUST, and He has reasons that you will never comprehend since you are not HIS children.
Ah, the old "dying horribly is OK cos they go to heaven" arguement.

Seems kinda... twee, to me

Get back to me after you starve to death or get tortured and burnt at the stake

Upvote 0
B

Boomygrrl

Ah, the old "dying horribly is OK cos they go to heaven" arguement.

Seems kinda... twee, to me

Get back to me after you starve to death or get tortured and burnt at the stake

Or drown to death...that has got to be one of the most scary experiences, I would think. So hopeless and helpless.

So, I guess Jesus dying for our sins is not a big deal either, since he went to heaven anyways, right?

Boomygrrl

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Perhaps the only thing that deserves to be tortured for eternity is an entity that believes that torturing sentient beings for eternity is just punishement for them not worshipping him.

It nevers ceases to amaze me how some christians will assure you that theirs is a god of love and then in the next breath will assure you that unless you worship their god you will be tortured for eternity.

There seems to be a basic discrepancy there.

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Perhaps the only thing that deserves to be tortured for eternity is an entity that believes that torturing sentient beings for eternity is just punishement for them not worshipping him.

It nevers ceases to amaze me how some christians will assure you that theirs is a god of love and then in the next breath will assure you that unless you worship their god you will be tortured for eternity.

There seems to be a basic discrepancy there.
Only for those who wish to have no part in fellowship with God is there an alternative provided. That was never intended to be for mankind though but perhaps that is all there is .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Only for those who wish to have no part in fellowship with God is there an alternative provided. That was never intended to be for mankind though but perhaps that is all there is .

Are you saying that those who don't believe in god will simply cease to exist? Because that suits me, the idea of eternal life is rather horrifying in my book.

It certainly makes more sense than a god who says love me or I will torture you. How can you love someone in those circumstances.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
So you do say your god says" love me or I will torture you for eternity"

Well I don't like bullies, and I don't believe in immortal souls, when we die we will all cease to exist, and as far as I am concerned that is ok. I will have enjoyed my life, I've spent every sunday for the last 30 years in bed instead of on mu knees, so I think I have had the best of the bargain.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that those who don't believe in god will simply cease to exist? Because that suits me, the idea of eternal life is rather horrifying in my book.

There was a quotation from Bender on Futurama which something like "The idea of an afterlife? If I thought there was a whole other life after this one, I'd kill myself right now."

Upvote 0