Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a quote from Neil deGrasse Tyson and I am not saying God is not real this is just to debate his quote

If you knew nothing about science and you read the Bible the Old testament which in Genesis is an account of nature, and I said to you give me your description of the natural world based only on this you would say the world was created in six days, and that stars are just little points of light much lesser than the Sun that the fact that they can fall out the sky because that's what happens during the revelation During the Revelation one of the signs that the second coming is that the Stars will fall out of the sky and land on Earth, what that means is you don't know what those things are you have no concept of what the actual universe is.

That quote is basically one of the reason many people are leaving the church, Christiasns are actually taking everything in the bible litterally. Its a book filled with wisdom but the writers were ignorant of just how complex the universe is, geology, astronomy, archeology, biology, those four
sciences debunk much of the bible. A star falling onto the earth...its rediculous. I do not believe in god because of the bible, I belive in God because the universe is so complex that there has to be a designer. I am not calling god ignorant, but the writers were
ignorant of the reality of the universe.

Last edited:

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
The creation that science claims as being the true creation. With a globe earth out in space, where the sun. moon and stars are thousands to millions to billions of miles and light years away. Is a creation that welcomes a bringing into existence without a God creator. Which welcomes and creates atheist and unbelievers it is a creation they can embrace.

But take the creation described in The Bible. It is a creation that can only be in existence because of a creator God and as The Bible states, declares the glory of God and shows the work of His hands.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
During the Revelation one of the signs that the second coming is that the Stars will fall out of the sky and land on Earth, what that means is you don't know what those things are you have no concept of what the actual universe is.

Hi, Weeks! Nice to meet you! :wave:

I agree with that quote that we don't know what those things are and have no concept of what the actual universe is.

Do you realize that Merriam-Webster has five different definitions of stars?
  1. a self-luminous gaseous spheroidal celestial body of great mass which produces energy by means of nuclear fusion reactions
  2. a planet or a configuration of the planets
  3. a conventional figure with five or more points that represents a star (example given: an asterisk)
  4. something resembling a star (hit on the head and saw stars)
  5. a person who is preeminent in a particular field
The Bible even depicts stars as angels.

Note in Revelation, where it says:

Revelation 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Also, the Star of Bethlehem was a celestial phenomenon that led the Wise Men right up to a specific street address.

Matthew 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Note that the Wise Men could see this thing, but Herod and others could not.

(Chuck Missler suggests it was a hologram.)

Don't make the mistake of relegating "star" to just the definition you were taught in school.

In fact, you said it best:

I believe in God because the universe is so complex that there has to be a designer.

The universe is indeed more complex; and there are things in it that defy science and observation.

Keep on believing in God, and don't let science get in your way, with its extreme narrow interpretation of what's all around us.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some in the Quantum sciences are saying the same. Trying to apply what ancient people wrote to the knowledge we have today doesn't mix. That is why there is so much arguing between Christians about the bible.

Upvote 0

R.Weeks79

Nov 17, 2023
Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Weeks! Nice to meet you! :wave:

I agree with that quote that we don't know what those things are and have no concept of what the actual universe is.

Do you realize that Merriam-Webster has five different definitions of stars?
  1. a self-luminous gaseous spheroidal celestial body of great mass which produces energy by means of nuclear fusion reactions
  2. a planet or a configuration of the planets
  3. a conventional figure with five or more points that represents a star (example given: an asterisk)
  4. something resembling a star (hit on the head and saw stars)
  5. a person who is preeminent in a particular field
The Bible even depicts stars as angels.

Note in Revelation, where it says:

Revelation 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

Also, the Star of Bethlehem was a celestial phenomenon that led the Wise Men right up to a specific street address.

Matthew 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Note that the Wise Men could see this thing, but Herod and others could not.

Don't make the mistake of relegating "star" to just the definition you were taught in school.

In fact, you said it best:

The universe is indeed more complex; and there are things in it that defy science and observation.

Keep on believing in God, and don't let science get in your way, with its extreme narrow interpretation of what's all around us.
It is far easier to belive in god than to take the bible 100% liberally. The star was just one of 100s of examples. The people who wrote the bible belived the earth was flat, the center of the universe, sickness was caused by evil spirits and god punishing them...if that was true medicine would not work. I look at the bible as a allegory in way, I belive historical fact is in it, I also belive the writers told many of there stories from a place of ignorance.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trying to apply what ancient people wrote to the knowledge we have today doesn't mix.

Why not?

The Bible is a Living Book.

Hebrews 4:12a For the word of God is [alive],

You'd be surprised what the Bible says about today.

One of my favorites is Job's mentioning of electronic communication.

Job 38:35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?

Kinda like the term "horseless carriage" being used to describe an automobile.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is far easier to belive in god than to take the bible 100% liberally.

Did you mean to say liberally ... or literally?

The star was just one of 100s of examples.

Of what?

The people who wrote the bible believed the earth was flat,

No they didn't.

Prior to the breakup of Pangaea, one could travel thousands and thousands of miles over the horizon.

the center of the universe,

Now that one may be true.

But scientists back then thought it too, and therefore would teach it in their academic courses.

You know ... it would be on the final exam; and if you wanted to make the dean's list, you'd better know it.

... sickness was caused by evil spirits ...

That's one of the biggest PRATTS that I know of.

I just watched a video where even Aron Ra fell for that.

It's a lie that academia perpetuates, and is forged by very poor Bible interpretation.

... and god punishing them...

Yes.

God punished them with plagues and such.

You know ... germs and cooties and altered DNA.

... if that was true medicine would not work.

Well thankfully it isn't true.

Despite what they teach about it.

I look at the bible as a allegory in way,

You're a true modern academic scholar then.

Would I be correct in assuming you have a college degree?

I believe historical fact is in it, I also believe the writers told many of there stories from a place of ignorance.

God, the Author of the entire Bible, is not ignorant.

God is omniscient.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not?

The Bible is a Living Book.

Hebrews 4:12a For the word of God is [alive],

You'd be surprised what the Bible says about today.

One of my favorites is Job's mentioning of electronic communication.

Job 38:35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?

Kinda like the term "horseless carriage" being used to describe an automobile.
I get you, there is a lot of stuff in Job, every question God asked Job is worth pondering, and there's technology throughout the bible and a couple in Revelation that I'm looking for. I was thinking in the line of holograms.

The ancient language and how we interpret it, like the Genesis account and Johns's descriptions in Revelation is what I meant.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Couldn’t the falling stars perhaps be meteorites? Depending on the size, the amount of damage must vary. The ancient people I guess couldn’t precisely distinguish from stars on this but to see these as stars seems understandable centuries back.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Couldn’t the falling stars perhaps be meteorites? Depending on the size, the amount of damage must vary. The ancient people I guess couldn’t precisely distinguish from stars on this but to see these as stars seems understandable centuries back.
Or one trying to explain a simple modern battle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I get you, there is a lot of stuff in Job, every question God asked Job is worth pondering,

Indeed it is!

The late Henry Morris, in his notes to his Defender's Study Bible, says that God asks Job some seventy questions pertaining to His creation; and blisters him for not having the right perspective.

I can see college students getting the Book thrown at them:

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Or one trying to explain a simple modern battle.

No, that's not even close to explaining a simple modern battle. Rockets, missiles, bombs and mortars are not even close in visual effects to a meteor or falling star.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, that's not even close to explaining a simple modern battle. Rockets, missiles, bombs and mortars are not even close in visual effects to a meteor or falling star.
Probably not if you've seen a meteor fall. How would you describe the equipment?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Probably not if you've seen a meteor fall.

When I was growing up, they were called "falling stars" or "shooting stars."

Either way, they were stars of the non-solar variety.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was growing up, they were called "falling stars" or "shooting stars."

Either way, they were stars of the non-solar variety.
I saw a meteorite fall one night on the way to work, it lit up the desert around our vehicle for a second. It freaked all of us out.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe in god because of the bible, I belive in God because the universe is so complex that there has to be a designer.
My belief in God is based more on a life force that permeates the entire universe. The life force as I experience it is not a designer of anything, but is an infinitely free expression of creativity.
I am not calling god ignorant, but the writers were
ignorant of the reality of the universe.
The foundation of most religions is their creation story. The creation story of an ancient middle-eastern nomadic tribe is carried forward in the Old Testament through the Jewish tradition. A new creation story based more on what the Universe itSelf is showing us is replacing the old outdated model.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is from the Jews in which the Lord chose to dwell among us. Salvation is of the Jews ( John 4:22, per John 4:20-24). God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob ( Exodus 3:6 etc.) Old Testament & ( Matthew 22:31-46) New Testament.

Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
That quote is basically one of the reason many people are leaving the church,
What is causing many to leave is:
1 John 2:19 (KJV)
[19] They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Christiasns are actually taking everything in the bible litterally.
hermeneutics is scientific process to rightly glean a writers intent in ancient writings... and literal aspects are fundamental in that process...

geology, astronomy, archeology, biology, those four
sciences debunk much of the bible.
your opinion doesn't, in my estimation, trump God's:
Romans 1:18 (KJV)
[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
[19] Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
[20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened
If most of mankind stands against God, in their minds, in these last of days... do you think that changes anything?

I am not calling god ignorant, but the writers were
ignorant of the reality of the universe
But certainly not God... Who has called their writing His...

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I saw a meteorite fall one night on the way to work, it lit up the desert around our vehicle for a second. It freaked all of us out.
A meteorite is a piece of stone or iron that reaches the ground after entering the Earth's atmosphere from space. Unless you actually recovered the meteorite, what you saw was a fireball. Was there any noise after the appearance and extinction of the fireball?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.