✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What made you decide to join one?

Sometimes I just feel my motivation is wrong in wanting to join one. Like, I just want attention or something. Then I get rid of it and then join back. I'm beginning to see a pattern developing.:D

Anyways, what was your motivation for joining one? Obviously to find someone yes but do you think there was a deeper need there?

This made more sense in my head.:sorry::doh:

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes I just feel my motivation is wrong in wanting to join one. Like, I just want attention or something. Then I get rid of it and then join back. I'm beginning to see a pattern developing.:D

Anyways, what was your motivation for joining one? Obviously to find someone yes but do you think there was a deeper need there?

Yours is an interesting question. Because I really think that what I am really longing for, as opposed to romance, is a desire to have strong friendships with females, and to have women in my life who really want friendship with me, and value spending time with me. And I think now that's why I am there.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

Curiosity. Like Petrarch, I strongly desire close friendships with females (guys are cool, too, but women are more empathetic/better feelers and listeners). However, to be honest, I have more faith in meeting Ms. Awesome through church or some kind of in-person activity than on OKCupid, but it's still something fun/interesting to gawk at.

Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I joined because it made sense - my interests and personality are all over the place, it'd be hard to find anyone at random that was compatible. So dating sites were the only real hope.

And now that I've searched around on them thoroughly enough, that hope is gone lol. Even if I share 1-2 things in common with someone, the rest about me is way too weird for them. So, game, set and match.

But yeah, for someone more normal it's a good place to try.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I joined because it made sense - my interests and personality are all over the place, it'd be hard to find anyone at random that was compatible. So dating sites were the only real hope.

And now that I've searched around on them thoroughly enough, that hope is gone lol. Even if I share 1-2 things in common with someone, the rest about me is way too weird for them. So, game, set and match.

But yeah, for someone more normal it's a good place to try.

I know the feeling. I've never tried a dating site though, I'm not actively looking for anybody. Plus I figure that if a good match is hard to find in person, finding one on a dating site isn't going to be much easier.

If I do join a dating site, it'd be more out of curiosity than anything. But I have no plans on joining one.

Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I joined POF cause its was all Sean and Sara's fault. =p
That lasted like 2.5 seconds. It was ridiculous and horrible, and too many...oh the comments were hilarious. I told my mom, she (from what I suspect lol) rolled her eyes at me.

Honestly, I have no desire too be on any dating sites. I have decided even more so now then ever that that I need face to face met, greet, oh hello you are very lovely I like to talk to you....thing. Maybe, I'll change my mind in due time, but not now.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I joined a few out of curiosity, but none of the profiles piqued my interest. Although a few had attractive photos, I wasn't looking for somebody to watch professional sports with. It didn't take long for me to conclude that my type avoids those sites.

Then again, we're talking 5 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's the picture I put up for my profile. Watch the ladies come running!

302-15.jpg

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I just went and looked at some of the profiles on POF.

Why is it that 90% of guys on that site mention working out and/or sports in their very brief "about me" that shows up in the search, and the other 10% say something dumb like "Heyy wuts up ladiez just looking for a pretty, sweet girl to hang out wit. No drama. hit me up if u wanna learn more about me."

What a waste of 5 minutes lol

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I joined CF looking for dates and people who share a passion for cheese.

West Allis Cheese & Sausage, buddy. :thumbsup: They have 2 locations on the East Side. Some people can spend their whole entire paychecks there. :sorry:

I never have though. I'm not hardcore.

Honestly, OP.. I initially joined for fartsies. I was curious what it was like and having been on CF for so long, I thought mmah, why not see what it would be like to actively look for someone online. I've had good results meeting some cool people here several years ago, why not? Now, my reasons have turned into "well, this is the only thing I really have time for"-kinda thing. I can fart around with online shenanigans while in the comfort of my home or office :)sorry:) and there's minimal stress involved. I get to sort of weed through those whose profiles aren't appealing to me (like the guys who don't know "right" from "write," the ones who still booze it up like they're 29, the ones only interested in coyote ugly-effect and the ones who want a woman who can bike up to Kilimanjaro with them) and kind of test out their personality and (Lord, please help meh here) spiritual compatibilities.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Because I wasn't meeting any new people offline outside of work, and I'm not going to look for dates among coworkers.

Not that it helped, as I've only had one person (whom I did not already know from elsewhere) message me or respond to my messages in the five years I've been doing it, and she stopped responding to me after only a few exchanges.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because my day-to-day activities don't throw me into the midst of the single, 30+, male populace. I'm either at work, at church, at the theater, or home with Josh. A single, working mom doesn't really have time for socializing. If I were to meet someone via a dating site, I'd have to make time to spend with him, and even that wouldn't be easy :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I just went and looked at some of the profiles on POF.

Why is it that 90% of guys on that site mention working out and/or sports in their very brief "about me" that shows up in the search, and the other 10% say something dumb like "Heyy wuts up ladiez just looking for a pretty, sweet girl to hang out wit. No drama. hit me up if u wanna learn more about me."

Probably because all the other guys realized that posting long, erudite, in-depth introductions that talk about our passions and activities and desires get completely ignored - and left, like I did.

What a waste of 5 minutes lol
Try 5 years. :p

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Probably because all the other guys realized that posting long, erudite, in-depth introductions that talk about our passions and activities and desires get completely ignored - and left, like I did.

Try 5 years. :p

You poor thing xD I can't imagine those that can't spell or can't be bothered to spell entire words do much better, but I guess there's somebody for everybody. :D

Not sure a site like that is a good place for people like you or me to find what we're looking for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly?

Well a few months ago I was having a phone conversation with my mother. I graduated with my masters (a huge feat I thought) and I told her I was going to be excited to see her and my dad. My mom says to me, "That's great honey but when are you going to get married and start a family. Don't you want to be happy?" Geez! I didn't know I was a misery person without a husband.

So I joined in late January. That's not to say that I wasn't on a dating site before, but that was a few years ago. I shifted my focus and put L-O-V-E on the back burner.

I am putting myself out there but dating is the pits these days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeculiarTreasure

Mishief Mangaged
Feb 3, 2007
South Carolina
✟27,848.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yours is an interesting question. Because I really think that what I am really longing for, as opposed to romance, is a desire to have strong friendships with females, and to have women in my life who really want friendship with me, and value spending time with me. And I think now that's why I am there.

This is kinda what I desire as well. Just friendships with guys. And the fact that I don't get out much. I mean I have no job and even though my church is huge it's still hard to meet others there.

The sad thing is my profile only gets viewed only after I look at theirs.:doh:I honestly don't think It's gonna do me any good.

Upvote 0