Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
another question... after all the animals were released from the arc, what did the carnivores eat?

you've got two rabbits and two lions released together in the wild... lions have nothing to eat, rabbits going extinct quickly?

Obviously they ate all the dinosaurs, which is why they is all extinct now!11 ^_^

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
I wouldn't mind seeing this. I've been looking for something like it, actually.
Some time ago I computed a couple of figures as follows.

To calculate the amount of water needed to cover the earth so that "They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet. " (Gen 6:19-20). One need only

1.Calculate the the volume of a sphere (I'm ignoring the oblate shape of the earth (Vs) for simplicity sake) with a radius of the Earth at sea level: Rs.

2.Add to that radius the height of Mt. Everest: Re

3. Calculate that volume Ve

3. Calculate the the difference of the two: Vd

4. Calculate the volume of land land above the sea Vl

5. Subtract Vl from Vd = the amount of water that sat above sea level and reached the top of Mt Everest. (T)otal amount of water

Plugging in the figures. (radius of earth = 6,378 K)

Volume of sphere to sea level
Vs = 4/3 * pi * r cubed
= 4/3 * pi * 6378.4 km cubed
= 1.08698 x 10 to the 12 cubic kilometers

Volume of sphere to top of Mt. Everest.
Ve
V= 4/3 * pi * r cubed
= 4/3 * pi * 6387.248 km cubed
= 1.09151 x 10 to the 12 cubic kilometers
Difference between Ve and Vs = .00453 X 10 to the 12th cubic kilometers, or 4.53 X 10 to the 9th.

Vd
4.525 x 10 to the ninth cubic kilometers (4.525x1009 km3) Or, to put into a more sensible number, 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers
Volume of dry land above sea level.
1.0217 x 1017 m3 OR 1,039 cubic kilometers.
(source)

Total amount of water
D - Vl 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers - 1,039 cubic kilometers = 4,524,998,961.
AND, rounded off = 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers, 1,085,000,000 cubic miles (note the how extremely little the volume of land above sea level affects the Total volume of water)

Then, dividing this incredible volume of water by the volume of water in the oceans (1, 321, 920,000 cubic kilometers ) we get an idea of how much more water is needed to cover the earth to the top of Mt. Everest. This turns out to be 3.423 times as much!! Almost 3 1/2 times as much water as now exists in all the oceans.

But where did all this water go? If, as some suggest, it seeped into the Earth (where else?) how far down would this 4,525,000,000,cubic kilometers of water extend?

A quick calculation shows it would extend about 10 k, or about 6 miles below the surface of the Earth

Upvote 0

BrainHertz

Nov 5, 2007
Oregon
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
another question... after all the animals were released from the arc, what did the carnivores eat?

you've got two rabbits and two lions released together in the wild... lions have nothing to eat, rabbits going extinct quickly?

It's even worse than that, as I posted at #10: since most of the plants would have died after 40 days under sea water, what would the herbivores eat?

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

Some time ago I computed a couple of figures as follows.

To calculate the amount of water needed to cover the earth so that "They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet. " (Gen 6:19-20). One need only

1.Calculate the the volume of a sphere (I'm ignoring the oblate shape of the earth (Vs) for simplicity sake) with a radius of the Earth at sea level: Rs.

2.Add to that radius the height of Mt. Everest: Re

3. Calculate that volume Ve

3. Calculate the the difference of the two: Vd

4. Calculate the volume of land land above the sea Vl

5. Subtract Vl from Vd = the amount of water that sat above sea level and reached the top of Mt Everest. (T)otal amount of water

Plugging in the figures. (radius of earth = 6,378 K)

Volume of sphere to sea level
Vs = 4/3 * pi * r cubed
= 4/3 * pi * 6378.4 km cubed
= 1.08698 x 10 to the 12 cubic kilometers

Volume of sphere to top of Mt. Everest.
Ve
V= 4/3 * pi * r cubed
= 4/3 * pi * 6387.248 km cubed
= 1.09151 x 10 to the 12 cubic kilometers
Difference between Ve and Vs = .00453 X 10 to the 12th cubic kilometers, or 4.53 X 10 to the 9th.

Vd
4.525 x 10 to the ninth cubic kilometers (4.525x1009 km3) Or, to put into a more sensible number, 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers
Volume of dry land above sea level.
1.0217 x 1017 m3 OR 1,039 cubic kilometers.
(source)

Total amount of water
D - Vl 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers - 1,039 cubic kilometers = 4,524,998,961.
AND, rounded off = 4,525,000,000, cubic kilometers (note the how extremely little the volume of land above sea level affects the Total volume of water)

Then, dividing this incredible volume of water by the volume of water in the oceans (1, 321, 920,000 cubic kilometers ) we get an idea of how much more water is needed to cover the earth to the top of Mt. Everest. This turns out to be 3.423 times as much!! Almost 3 1/2 times as much water as now exists in all the oceans.

But where did all this water go? If, as some suggest, it seeped into the Earth (where else?) how far down would this 4,525,000,000,cubic kilometers of water extend?

A quick calculation shows it would extend about 10 k, or about 6 miles below the surface of the Earth
Heres our calculations

The United Nations Environment Programme estimates there are 1.4 billion cubic kilometres (330 million mi3) of water available on Earth. Including underground sources.

The highest point on the surface of the Earth is Mount Everest in Nepal. 8,848 meters tall (29,028 feet)

The mean radius of the Earth (Core to sea level) is 6,372,797 meters. With Everest added to that, it comes out to 6,381,645 meters.

The total mass of the hydrosphere of the oceans is about 1.4 × 1021 kilograms, which is about 0.023% of the Earth's total mass.

The volume of the earth in-between the highest and lowest points on earth assuming that the ENTIRE surface is flooded WITH landmasses accounted for is 5x105

Avalible- 1.4 billion cubic kilometers
Needed (To cover the ENTIRE surface)- 5 quadrillion cubic kilometers
Missing- 4.9999986 quadrillion cubic kilometers.

We would need probably nine or ten orders of magnitude more water than we actually have avalible. Even if there were a couple billion cubic kilometers hiding under the surface of the Earth, we would even BEGIN to have enough.

To have that much water on Earth would disrupt the gravity of the Earth and SERIOUSLY mess with the tripple point of water which would result in the death of all life as we know it.

As you see, it it mathematically IMPOSSIBLE for the ENTIRE surface of the Earth to be covered with water.

My wonderful fiancee helped with the math part :) If you doubt the math, PM Dysnomia, she'll lay it out.

Upvote 0

trivista

Nov 22, 2006
✟15,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm doing a research paper on the flood and I wanted to know what some of the main problems and arguments atheists and others had about the Biblical flood. I would love information from either side of the spectrum and links would make my day:) I'm not looking to start a debate or anything I really just want opinions. Please, post them. Anything would help me out.

Why didn't the Chinese notice?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why didn't the Chinese notice?

Here we go again --- as with the Egyptians and the Sumerians --- the Chinese came later, from the grandson of Noah, and [first] cousin of Nimrod.

[bible]Genesis 10:17[/bible]

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here we go again --- as with the Egyptians and the Sumerians --- the Chinese came later, from the grandson of Noah, and [first] cousin of Nimrod.

Except that, as usualy, this claim is contrary to all available empirical evidence.

Simply put "genetics doesn't work that way"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Steezie said:
The total mass of the hydrosphere of the oceans is about 1.4 × 1021 kilograms, which is about 0.023% of the Earth's total mass.
You don't show how the figures you supply were used, but from what I can gather using mass would be irrelevant. Mass has no dimension, it's simply the amount of matter in a particular object: its density. For instance: pure water has a density (weight of mass) of 1g/cu. cm. The same object (1 cu. cm.) made of cast iron, weights in at 7 grams, or has a weight of mass of 7g/cu.cm. And, unless you played with the combined masses of all the different forms of water (sea, lake, rain, etc.), knowing the volumes of each kind, and then comparing it to the mass of earth--all of this very round about way of determining the volume of water---knowing masses would be irrelevant.
The volume of the earth in-between the highest and lowest points on earth assuming that the ENTIRE surface is flooded WITH landmasses accounted for is 5x105
525? 525 what?

[water] Needed (To cover the ENTIRE surface)- 5 quadrillion cubic kilometers
Or 5,000,000,000,000,000, which is 5,000 X 10 to the 12th.

BUT, compare this to the volume of the earth, which This source: gives as: 1.97 X 10 the 12th. This means that according to the figures you present the volume of water was 2,538 times the volume of earth itself.

Dysnomia obviously made a mistake in calculation somewhere in the process. Possibly confusing mass with volume?

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Except that, as usualy, this claim is contrary to all available empirical evidence.

Simply put "genetics doesn't work that way"
since when has AV ever cared about evidence? he's admitted that if humans and chimpanzees were twins he would still be a creationist.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To have that much water on Earth would disrupt the gravity of the Earth and SERIOUSLY mess with the tripple point of water which would result in the death of all life as we know it.

Just how is excess water supposed to disrupt gravity or infleuence the triple point of water? It is a huge amount of mass but compared to the mass of the earth not a huge percentage and there is absolutely no reason it should change a basic constant of physics.

Upvote 0

BrainHertz

Nov 5, 2007
Oregon
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

What about the people who lived there before that time?

Upvote 0

BrainHertz

Nov 5, 2007
Oregon
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just how is excess water supposed to disrupt gravity or infleuence the triple point of water? It is a huge amount of mass but compared to the mass of the earth not a huge percentage and there is absolutely no reason it should change a basic constant of physics.

I think he's kidding. At least, I really hope so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
since when has AV ever cared about evidence? he's admitted that if humans and chimpanzees were twins he would still be a creationist.

I can take that one clipboard farther ---

Even if you could produce a star NFL quarterback in a laboratory using pure science and the Periodic Table, I'd still be a creationist.

Upvote 0

BrainHertz

Nov 5, 2007
Oregon
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They drowned.

...and people (who for some reason happened to be ethnically Chinese) then showed up right afterwards in large numbers and wrote about the people who had drowned as if they were their ancestors without mentioning anything about it...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...and people (who for some reason happened to be ethnically Chinese) then showed up right afterwards in large numbers and wrote about the people who had drowned as if they were their ancestors without mentioning anything about it...

I don't know/care --- did they?

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

I can take that one clipboard farther ---

Even if you could produce a star NFL quarterback in a laboratory using pure science and the Periodic Table, I'd still be a creationist.
So basically, even if you were shown absolutely irrefutable proof you'd ignore it...umm...isnt...isnt that what a crazy person does?

Im sorry I dont mean to be insulting, but...in my research of psychology, someone who had a mental separation with reality, was a psychotic.

Upvote 0