indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟19,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just a hypothetical question really. You get my point though.

Not really. It reads more like you were quietly asserting your idea that I will exist in some form of afterlife after I die again without giving any reason.

For that matter you never bothered to explain what spirituality has given us and how that is superior to science. Or why I should take the concept of a soul seriously.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not really. It reads more like you were quietly asserting your idea that I will exist in some form of afterlife after I die again without giving any reason.

For that matter you never bothered to explain what spirituality has given us and how that is superior to science. Or why I should take the concept of a soul seriously.

Actually it was referring to the afterlife in any form you choose. If you think the afterlife is only a fantasy, then you will only exist in fantasy. Either way, my point remains the same.

Upvote 0

TheQuietRiot

indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟19,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually it was referring to the afterlife in any form you choose. If you think afterlife is fantasy, then you will only exist in fantasy. Either way, my point remains the same.

What do you think is waiting for you when you die?

Upvote 0

TheQuietRiot

indomitable
Aug 17, 2011
West Yorkshire
✟19,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God allowed us to grow old quickly, so we would know how short our time is. Like flowers fading and withering, so is our life. The next time you see a flower bloom, remember how short life is.

Lets say I'll take it under consideration.

It also seems that there are fast learners as God also doesn't allow some people to grow old at all.

If I make it to 40 I could hardly say I've lived a short life. So it really depends on what you are comparing it too.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lets say I'll take it under consideration.

It also seems that there are fast learners as God also doesn't allow some people to grow old at all.

If I make it to 40 I could hardly say I've lived a short life. So it really depends on what you are comparing it too.

Life moves quickly as we get older, decades seem like yesterday. Its all downhill at some point. Then we realize how short it actually is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The greatest of ironies exist among Atheists and scientists, who campaign for evolution, but cannot even conceive evolving themselves or ascending to anything higher than their best organic self.

Nonetheless, they end up here, here at the edge of their physical world gazing shoreward, not knowing there is more than a world above their own, but also waters above and beyond. These are fish out of water, and their instinct is to wiggle and fight and return to the sea...and why wouldn't they? Their eyes cannot see above, even in the air, let alone the waters above.

For most of us, it was fishers of men that lured us in. Some were born flying fish. Some didn't wait to be caught, but jumped in the boat. But the fish analogy only goes so far to explain, that like the waters below, there is also waters above, that great reef in the sky.

But how do you tell a fish that will not evolve about dry land, or prove what is dry...while immersed? How do you tell a landlocked fish about other waters, when they cannot and will not come out of the water?

Treating them like deadbeat couch potatoes isn't working. Any ideas?

PS, Greeting them with open arms isn't really working either. Isaiah 65:2

You realize that in this analogy, the fish stuck in the water would be able to watch the walking fish leave the water and then come back...thereby giving the fish in the water some proof of their claims.

Seems like your fishing for a decent analogy. Let me know if you come up with anything good.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
The greatest of ironies exist among Atheists and scientists, who campaign for evolution, but cannot even conceive evolving themselves or ascending to anything higher than their best organic self.
Ironic that your anti-scientific tirade makes the blunder of having individuals evolve, not populations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
You realize that in this analogy, the fish stuck in the water would be able to watch the walking fish leave the water and then come back...thereby giving the fish in the water some proof of their claims.

Seems like your fishing for a decent analogy. Let me know if you come up with anything good.
His tribe analogy in #8 fails for the same reason. In all his talk of an "outside world", he offers nothing to substantiate it, other than large, hand-waving motions and wild stories, stories that are not even consistent with others that come through here claiming their own set of wild stories. They can't even agree upon what they are claiming.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
His tribe analogy in #8 fails for the same reason. In all his talk of an "outside world", he offers nothing to substantiate it, other than large, hand-waving motions and wild stories, stories that are not even consistent with others that come through here claiming their own set of wild stories. They can't even agree upon what they are claiming.

Indeed. The problem is that he's trying to find an analogy for an imaginary situation that doesn't exist in reality. As such, the analogies always fall short.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That you don't want to try?

If you can't say what you mean in straightforward words then I see no reason to think you are necessarily saying anything at all.

I'm just asking for you to say what your basic point is.

I know people like you think that, but I was as Christian as any Christian. I was 'born again', loved God, and was as committed as many others.

I don't believe in God though.
You were just kidding yourself. One who becomes One with God, is One...you are not, and therefore never were.

If you want my straightforward answer, go back and read it. No one is going to drag you up the hill.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.