Fearing God

£

£amb

DyingAsylum said:
I have heard the term "God fearing Christian" several times lately and I was wondering what exactly was ment by it. Why must one fear God? Just curious.

Blessed Be,
Asylum

When the bible speaks of our fearing God it doesn't mean servile, cowering terror. It means awe, reverence, respect, veneration, obeisance, adoration.

Upvote 0

epy

Jun 16, 2006
✟15,391.00
Faith
Methodist
In this case, fear means respect. Also sometimes seen in the light of "we would not respect God if we felt He could do nothing to us.(He didn't matter)" Why do we need to respect Him? The same reason one must respect a leader or parent. The person has more experience or more power. Following in obedience allows God to take us places we otherwise could not go.

Reactions: Merlin
Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, let me say that I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts. That said, I don't think the "fear" of which we speak with regard to our Lord is exlusive to that of veneration and respect. It can, and does, include a healthy level of real fear. I don't say this to paint God as some evil Ruler but, rather, to give place to the acknowledgement that He IS an awesome God and if one spends any time considering His awesome nature, it is only natural to tremble a bit in the presence of His power. It is not unwise to maintain a bit of fear of being completely destroyed. Recognizing the awesome nature of God actually helps us realize the depth of His love for us because we gain a greater understanding of the magnitude of what we've been forgiven, though, in truth, our knowledge of our wickedness is never comprehensive because our knowledge of the righteousness of God always falls short.

Additionally, it is often a fear of God's power that keeps us in line in much the same way that children are often kept in line by a fear of punishment from their parents.

As I said, the more we come to realize the awesome power of God, the more humbled we will be and the more grateful we will be for the forgiveness He extends to we, the undeserving.

God bless

Upvote 0

DyingAsylum

May 14, 2006
New York
✟15,152.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
£amb said:
When the bible speaks of our fearing God it doesn't mean servile, cowering terror. It means awe, reverence, respect, veneration, obeisance, adoration.

I didn't think the term meant actual fear, but I wasn't totally sure. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. :thumbsup:

Blessed Be.
Asylum

Upvote 0

LuvAslan

[Insert clever/inspiring/funny phrase here]
Jun 12, 2006
Colby, Kansas
✟21,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DyingAsylum said:
I have heard the term "God fearing Christian" several times lately and I was wondering what exactly was ment by it. Why must one fear God? Just curious.

Blessed Be,
Asylum
it's not a fear as in "scared stiff". But it's like respect. treating God like a Father. you wouldn't disobey your dad because you fear and respect him. It's like that.

Reactions: Key
Upvote 0

Happy Orthodox

Aug 9, 2004
The lone star state
✟8,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Fathers of the Church distinguish two kinds of fear.
One kind, the most inferior and primitive, is the fear of condemnation or hell. This is actually fear-fear, or being scared of eternal pain. The other kind of fear, which is on the opposite end of the continuum, is the perfect fear which comes from love, and it is the fear to offend God the Beloved, and cause any kind of disappointment. I guess, there can be something in between, also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 16, 2006
✟15,148.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
DyingAsylum said:

Blessed Be,
Asylum
ok... this might not be exaclty right.. but its what i think.... when it says..."fearing God"... it doesnt mean we should be afraid of him.. but like we should respect him... like why do we respect our parents... cause we are afraid of getting in trouble...at first... then we learn to respect them because of the things they teach us and how they are so good to us.... but thats just what i think....hey do you want to be my buddy?

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
DyingAsylum said:

Blessed Be,
Asylum

I read somewhere that in the "old days" people would rather not meet "the man of God" when walking down the street. This avoidance was due tot he holiness of life exhibited by the same .

Not only is God the epitome of holiness, but also of power, knowledge, and mercy. Therefore; we bow the knee before our God, especially when we remember that we ourselves are finite, mean, weak, and sinful. As a Protestant preacher spoke many years ago on Scripture, "It is a fearsome thing to fall into the hands of the Living God."

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
DyingAsylum said:

Blessed Be,
Asylum
According to N.T. Wright the most frequent command in the bible is "Do not be afraid", so you could be forgiven for thinking that a God fearing Christian is a disobedient one.

If people don't mean fear, why do they continue to use the term when its effect is to cause confusion? I suspect its a mix of determination to cling to jargon stemming from Elizebethan English, and a longing to return to "hell-fire and brimstone" sermons, when you could get people into church by scaring them, rather than the hard work of actually following Christ.

Upvote 0