Not open for further replies.

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
so help me i was laughing about this very thing last week.

i said to my wife, you know how some look down upon you b/c of lack of money, being sick, and all that? b/c you're not living "your life now?" what if later god strips all of that away, and you can tell whose the real christians b/c they're the ones being fed, they have food on the table.

man's definition of christianity vs. god's. anyone wanna take vegas odds? :)

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With the stock market plunging like it has since the summer, my wife and I have “lost” a big bundle in our mutual funds. We could panic and get desperate, send out prayer requests, or commit suicide, but we have great “trust” in God that no matter what, whether we win or lose, recover or sink to the bottom, God is with us. We are at peace.

Anyhow, as the market always has, it will rebound over time and this is just temporary, despite 24-hour news reports to the contrary. But, wheter it does or doesn’t, in God we trust.

That is why I believe a more valuable definition/synonym for “faith” is “trust.”

~Jim

The world is composed of givers and takers.

The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.
Wow,thanks Jim~ for that beautiful testimony!

You are a rock solid brother,and your faith is true,because though the winds do blow against our houses,you have made the Most High your refuge.:):thumbsup:

I hope you recover your funds.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so help me i was laughing about this very thing last week.

i said to my wife, you know how some look down upon you b/c of lack of money, being sick, and all that? b/c you're not living "your life now?" what if later god strips all of that away, and you can tell whose the real christians b/c they're the ones being fed, they have food on the table.

man's definition of christianity vs. god's. anyone wanna take vegas odds? :)
Yup,some church enviroments create a have / have not sytsem.

Where they should focus on the kingdom within.

Upvote 0

kjb34

Jul 3, 2007
Jamestown, NC
✟7,887.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think in times like these you really get to see peoples faith in God. What are u going to when you lose job and you have a family to feed? God uses times like these to draw us closer to Him and He also uses it to get glory out of lives. I am reminded of what He told Paul"My grace is sufficient for thee". When we as Christians suffer trials and tribulations but folks can see the strength that God has given us that is powerful than any sermon a preacher can give.

Upvote 0

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think in times like these you really get to see peoples faith in God. What are u going to when you lose job and you have a family to feed? God uses times like these to draw us closer to Him and He also uses it to get glory out of lives. I am reminded of what He told Paul"My grace is sufficient for thee". When we as Christians suffer trials and tribulations but folks can see the strength that God has given us that is powerful than any sermon a preacher can give.
Amen :)

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With the stock market plunging like it has since the summer, my wife and I have “lost” a big bundle in our mutual funds. We could panic and get desperate, send out prayer requests, or commit suicide, but we have great “trust” in God that no matter what, whether we win or lose, recover or sink to the bottom, God is with us. We are at peace.

Anyhow, as the market always has, it will rebound over time and this is just temporary, despite 24-hour news reports to the contrary. But, wheter it does or doesn’t, in God we trust.

That is why I believe a more valuable definition/synonym for “faith” is “trust.”

~Jim
The world is composed of givers and takers.
The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better.

Jim, I noticed something here.

The word "wheter" used above shows;

The anointing for posting the thread about spelling is coming upon you here already or if you posted it already the anointing is still sticking to you.

Or maybe that was a weather report in disguise and it is going to be wetter.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello guys and gals..

Something crossed my mind today…

We all know there will be Christians who will be very affected by the financial crisis.

Some will loose jobs,or maybe their business.They will not be in a present position of being prosperous,to say the least.And that problem could last for them a long time!

We all know faith seems to disregard time and space,and is not bound by natural law,it trumps all!.

Move a mountain,raise the dead,ask and you will receive, etc…

But the circumstance will seem to dictate to some,a financial crisis.

So that raises a question..:confused:

What is wrong,,,,does the saint not have enough faith to overcome, if he or she is broke?

Was it Gods will,or are they a victim of circumstance,or a lack of faith?:scratch:

What do ya think?

What would you say to those who lost all?:(

To me,I think God allows trials and sufferings,look at the saints that were struck by Katrina.Whole lotta Chrisitians live in the gulf coast region.
I just don't believe our prosperity is God's main priority and neither should it be our priority, I know that might be saying I got him figured out but I'm going to say it anyway. Jesus had said that we should never have to worry about our life and what we will eat or drink, our eternal life is what we should be concerned about. If we are more valuable to him then the birds of the air will worrying about such things help?

He also said that we shouldn't be storing up for ourselves treasures for our life down here but storing up treasures in heaven. If I die a destitute man yet can live as a king in heaven, why should I worry?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The anointing for posting the thread about spelling is coming upon you here already or if you posted it already the anointing is still sticking to you.

:p

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just don't believe our prosperity is God's main priority and neither should it be our priority, I know that might be saying I got him figured out but I'm going to say it anyway. Jesus had said that we should never have to worry about our life and what we will eat or drink, our eternal life is what we should be concerned about. If we are more valuable to him then the birds of the air will worrying about such things help?

He also said that we shouldn't be storing up for ourselves treasures for our life down here but storing up treasures in heaven. If I die a destitute man yet can live as a king in heaven, why should I worry?
I agree...

Believe me,If God wants to give me millions,I will gladly receice it!:D

But in the end...
Psalm 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

One thing about optimax,on his boat he will relax!:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a fine line that most of have a hard time finding between using wisdom to plan ahead (without selfishly hording) and not worrying about tomorrow.
Yes, I'd agree there is a fine line. Here is what I believe is God's wisdom and 'formula' (which btw I previously posted in a different thread):

"Let Pharoah appoint commisioners over the land to take a fifth of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance."
Gen 41:34

Also more popularly known as "Joseph's 20%". And reinforced through "Solomon's baskets", or "don't put all your eggs in one basket." Or diversification.

"Make seven or eight portions. You know not what may befall the land."
Ecc 11:2

The baskets I've chosen for my family are: cash, pension, lifestyle, insured deposit fund, corporate stock, mutual/segregated funds, discretionary funds, adrenalin funds, and philanthropy. Not in equal amounts, obviously. And other families will differ; but the key, IMO, is in diversification. Those who invested heavily or primarily in equity-based assets - putting all their proverbial eggs in one basket - have taken the big hits or devaluations. Now I'm not posting this to gloat - be it far from me - but rather, when we talk about faith, trust, works, and stewardship, we really have to include wisdom also.

So that's my 2 cents - to simply share from my experience that it doesn't have to be an 'all or nothing' proposition with God in order for him to mold us to his image. IOW, we don't have to "lose it all" simply to get right with God; although we should have a heart to be able to "walk away from it all" if that's what it took.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just forget about Pinetree, he's way too sappy. ;)
I incubated and hatched in a bottle of this..

pinesol.jpg

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I'd agree there is a fine line. Here is what I believe is God's wisdom and 'formula' (which btw I previously posted in a different thread):

"Let Pharoah appoint commisioners over the land to take a fifth of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance."
Gen 41:34

Also more popularly known as "Joseph's 20%". And reinforced through "Solomon's baskets", or "don't put all your eggs in one basket." Or diversification.

"Make seven or eight portions. You know not what may befall the land."
Ecc 11:2

The baskets I've chosen for my family are: cash, pension, lifestyle, insured deposit fund, corporate stock, mutual/segregated funds, discretionary funds, adrenalin funds, and philanthropy. Not in equal amounts, obviously. And other families will differ; but the key, IMO, is in diversification. Those who invested heavily or primarily in equity-based assets - putting all their proverbial eggs in one basket - have taken the big hits or devaluations. Now I'm not posting this to gloat - be it far from me - but rather, when we talk about faith, trust, works, and stewardship, we really have to include wisdom also.

So that's my 2 cents - to simply share from my experience that it doesn't have to be an 'all or nothing' proposition with God in order for him to mold us to his image. IOW, we don't have to "lose it all" simply to get right with God; although we should have a heart to be able to "walk away from it all" if that's what it took.
Good post!
I am one of those peole who believes in using what I got,and give it my best shot..

Yet I am like 2 people sometimes,I also see the divine weakness,that preceeds blessings..

I dunno,good to be weak and strong I guess..:)

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
One thing about neph,..I cant seem to rhyme a word with neph...
You really are bored tonight aren't you pinetree? Just take it easy; you really are fine, you'll see.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.