Oregon
✟765,600.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
"Takes you out of your self"

What does this mean?
Most of us in our normal day are thinking about this and that. Some use the image of a movie going on in ones mind. We are thinking about getting the kids to school, finances, possibility an argument with the spouse, the movie watched last night, politics, issues with family members or friends, we mentally run through all sorts of things reeling through the mind. The mind doesn't stop. If we look at ourselves, we are into ourselves as the mind moves along, we get kind of focused inwards in our thoughts.

Using the rainbow as a simple example in an attempt to point towards taking one out of one's self, often when we see a rainbow all of that background mind noise ( Buddhist call it "Monkey Mind) stops and for just a moment the rainbow has our full on attention. A feeling of "wow" as we see the rainbow overcomes us. A double wow if it's a double rainbow. Normally that feeling doesn't last long, but during that brief moment our mind stops all of it's thinking about this and that while we take in the experience of wonderment. The wonderment takes us outwards, some call it out of our selves.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of us in our normal day are thinking about this and that. Some use the image of a movie going on in ones mind. We are thinking about getting the kids to school, finances, possibility an argument with the spouse, the movie watched last night, politics, issues with family members or friends, we mentally run through all sorts of things reeling through the mind. The mind doesn't stop. If we look at ourselves, we are into ourselves as the mind moves along, we get kind of focused inwards in our thoughts.

Using the rainbow as a simple example in an attempt to point towards taking one out of one's self, often when we see a rainbow all of that background mind noise ( Buddhist call it "Monkey Mind) stops and for just a moment the rainbow has our full on attention. A feeling of "wow" as we see the rainbow overcomes us. A double wow if it's a double rainbow. Normally that feeling doesn't last long, but during that brief moment our mind stops all of it's thinking about this and that while we take in the experience of wonderment. The wonderment takes us outwards, some call it out of our selves.

Well put. Truly is key to still our 'monkey mind' and see life for what it is.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I have never experienced a moment where I am not thinking about something. Often when I'm not doing anything it will be about the latest story I wish to write but it never stops.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟765,600.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I have never experienced a moment where I am not thinking about something. Often when I'm not doing anything it will be about the latest story I wish to write but it never stops.
That's the way it is with most of us.

What about feelings of wonderment or thankfulness? Do you get that ever?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That's the way it is with most of us.

What about feelings of wonderment or thankfulness? Do you get that ever?

Not in a way that stops me from thinking. I like thinking. It's relaxing. What you describe about not thinking sounds like Hell to me.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It's not so much not thinking as slowing down your mind. Meditation has helped me immensely. It has gotten rid of my anxieties and worries. It's all about slowing down your thoughts, not stopping them, so you can see where the thoughts come from.

I can see why some people would like that. I guess I'm just wired differently. Whenever I've tried to "slow my thoughts", I tend to just invent new things to think about. I experience the world though my inner thoughts and don't slow down in there. I guess it's hard to describe exactly. I imagine in the same way I can't understand what you guys are talking about.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟765,600.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Not in a way that stops me from thinking. I like thinking. It's relaxing. What you describe about not thinking sounds like Hell to me.
It can be scarey. But personally, I find getting trapped into my thoughts Hell when they take me into ugly and angry places. What I find is that to be more aware of things around me I've had to slow down that thinking part of my brain and learn to just open to the awareness part of my brain. When my mind is occupied with thinking all of the time I find that I'm not as aware or awake to life around me. The birds are singing but I don't hear them because by brain is all ready occupied with it's thinking about everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟765,600.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Someone posted this stuff a while back and this is what I got. I think it kind of explains a lot about this discussion:

Portrait of an INTP
Yes, I think your correct. I've seen you have trouble with spiritually aware subjects and here mysticism. We are all different. Personally, mental concepts about God mean nothing to me. I look towards that inner awareness of the presence of God to know the Divine. Which is, as I'm understanding it, the opposite as yourself.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think your correct. I've seen you have trouble with spiritually aware subjects and here mysticism. We are all different. Personally, mental concepts about God mean nothing to me. I look towards that inner awareness of the presence of God to know the Divine. Which is, as I'm understanding it, the opposite as yourself.

Diametrically opposed, to be sure. But, hey, I'm part of 3% of the population according to this one INTP personality | 16 Personality Types so you won't have to worry about dealing with too many of my type. ;)

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Diametrically opposed, to be sure. But, hey, I'm part of 3% of the population according to this one INTP personality | 16 Personality Types so you won't have to worry about dealing with too many of my type. ;)

:wave: I'm one.

They may be a small minority of the population, but they make up the majority of university professors.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
:wave: I'm one.

They may be a small minority of the population, but they make up the majority of university professors.

I can imagine. If I had my way I probably would have been a lawyer but I lost out on that with a lot of problems in school with the other students. Got to a point where I gave up on school and did only what I needed to do to graduate. Not going to turn that into a law degree easily. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Everyone is wired differently! :)

I learned to meditate to help with anxiety. I was never much of a thinker. More of a listless wanderer ;)

My parents tell me I've always been a thinker. I'm told that when I was very young, I was trying to determine how a raindrop dispersed when it hit a puddle.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Mysticism by its very nature is occultic. It's hidden, not exoteric.

How are they very different from each other?

IMO it's hard to distinguish occult from religion. I suppose occult is religion with secrets? But a person's experiences from occult could be evidence just like a person's experiences from religion.

Upvote 0