✟91,174.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wiki:
Utilitarianism is a family of normative ethical theories that prescribe actions that maximize happiness and well-being for all affected individuals
From the utilitarian viewpoint, God is not an absolute necessity for morals. However,
the theological utilitarians had the option of grounding their pursuit of happiness in the will of God; the hedonistic utilitarians needed a different defense.
Why is it a popular belief amongst religious people that morals must come from god?
Christians believe that man by nature is sinful and no good, Mark 10:
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
Nature itself does not command or demand people to be moral. Do you think morality's origin can be explained from a natural worldview?
Yes, to some extent. It is called utilitarian ethics.
Utilitarianism promotes "the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people." When used in a sociopolitical construct, utilitarian ethics aims for the betterment of society as a whole. Utilitarianism is a reason-based approach to determining right and wrong, but it has limitations.
Is religion necessary for morality?

No, but it may work better if a righteous God holds everyone accountable. Let me be clear: I am not promoting Utilitarianism. I am a Christian who loves Jesus. Christ is the standard for me.

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟173,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is religion necessary for morality?

No, but it may work better if a righteous God holds everyone accountable. Let me be clear: I am not promoting Utilitarianism. I am a Christian who loves Jesus. Christ is the standard for me.
The implication of scripture is the two are not mutually exclusive of one another and are intrinsically related.

James 1:27
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

So, yes, religion is required. The correct religion, the religion that God honors is moral, and necessarily so. Man-made religions that ignore precepts like the one articulated by James are not required for anything.

James 1:26
If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.

So the juxtaposition presented is one of worthless religion versus God-honored religion. The first begets unbridled tongue, the latter begets helping others and a consecrated living.

@tonychanyt, why would you post an op asking an answering this question and not include a single verse explicitly speaking about religion?

Colossians 2:20-23
If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" (which all refer to things destined to perish with use) in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.

James 1:27
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Upvote 0