stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
BAchristian said:
Hello there...

I'm a Protestant considering Catholicism...

Any ex-Protestants out there? If so, why did you convert?

Wouldn't this be a better topic for the Catholic forum? These topics could be an easy invitation to bash one denomination or another. Therefore, I'll try just to focus mainly on the good points.

I'm also a Protestant interested in Catholicism, but I don't know why. All I know is that God has been pushing me towards it. I absolutely love the Church and Catholics. Growing up Protestant, I've gone to many churches, but never, never have I seen people so devoted and focused on God.

Sitting back at my first mass, just watching, I knew this was the right place. Leaving mass, being filled with joy and completeness, something I don't remember feeling in a long time. I never feel away from God, but I strayed too far, but God, somehow, was able to get me back and going to Church. This is coming from someone who found ever little reason to not like the Church, to bash the Church, to disregard the Pope.

Why did I start going to mass? Simple, because I need to be a better person, I go because it allows me to focus on God. I don't go to Church to be part of a club, or to be told I'm going to hell, or hear what I want to hear, or to be entertained or to get my dose of Jesus so I won't go to hell. I go because I want a relationship with God who loves me as His son, because I have accepted and appreciated His only Son. I don't want to ignore Him, or disappoint Him... that's why I go, because I love Him.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
lambslove said:
It's funny this would be posted to catholics, but in the Protestant forum! :D

A poorly disguised attempt to pick a fight? :sick: :rolleyes:

Yes, it's always a good idea to expect the worst in people :)

He didn't say anything about about Protestants, nor I. So for, no one has made a list of negative things against non-Catholic Churches, so I'd have to disagree.

Reactions: nyj
Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I could get into a rather long story about my history, but I won't, because, a) my fingers will hurt, and b)...well...that's pretty much it...my fingers will hurt...heh.

Oh ok, I will...:p Consider this post, my testimony to my Christian brothers.

Born in the Bible belt. Was raised Nazarene primarily. I dare say I've almost been to almost every denomination known to man...I'm not exactly proud of it either. (Can you say, CHURCH HOPPER? I wonder why that is?)

Like any teenager growing up in a STRICT home (and I do mean strict. read: no shorts above the knees, no "mixed swimming", etc.), I rebelled. But I was different. I rebelled outside of my mother and father's home, mainly because I didn't want to bring any shame that I might cause to my parents. (Like most parents, or at least like most GOOD parents, they teach their children to not do things that will cause them or God to look bad.)

But I didn't care. I got SO tired of going to church and hearing the same...old...thing...day...in...day...out.

Hallelu...<dramatic pause>...bleh.

I'm talkin' Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night even. Oh yes...Wednesday night...can't forget that! :yawn:

And let's not forget Revivals!! :clap:

I'm sure I'm reeking of sarcasm at this point, but bare with me.

So at age 19, I was outta there! I mean, outta there. I didn't want any part of religion, and I didn't want to go to church.

I wanted beer. And lots of it. Darn if my high school buddies were going to drink from the age of thirteen to nineteen and I'm not!

So I threw my roots out the window, and I decided to "live it up" for the next eight years.

...or so I thought.

Fast forward to 2000. I decide to move myself and my family to California to take a job in San Francisco. Little did I know that God had a plan for me.

As the days went by, I felt the Holy Spirit convicting me. I felt a "tug" at my heart to go to church, and so naturally, I wanted to find a church that I was familiar with. I mean, why not right? A Protestant isn't going to go to a Catholic church. He's not going to go to one of those "weird New World Order Life Whateveryouwannacallit California churches!!" either...scary stuff there...

So I started to attend a church called, "New Life Christian Center". I started going there, and while I wasn't a Christian, I still wanted my daughter to go. I wanted her to be raised in a church even though her Daddy may not be right with God. I, at least at this point, still held, within my heart, that of which I was taught when I was younger. The Bible, as you know, talks about bringing your children up in the way of the Lord and they will not flee from it. Case in point.

So as a sinner, I still went to church. I didn't profess to be a Christian anymore, but I still felt...this...tug...

Of course I knew what it was. I'd been there before. (Contrary to popular Catholic belief, not ALL Protestants believe that once you're saved, you're always saved.)

I lost my job 6 months after I moved to Calfornia, and my heart was ruined. And like the prisoner that "finds Jesus", I turned to him in my darkest hour. After 5 months of being laid off, I started crying in church for God to save me...and I gave my life back to God.

One week later, I found a job.

During the time that I was at this church, I didn't necessarily feel comfortable. It was very, "jump up and down, praising the Lord" kind of church, and while I had visited oh so many of those churches in my day, I just didn't feel that God wanted me to worship him in that way.

So after 2 months of being a Christian, I left and started going to the Church of Christ.

So here it is, 3 years later, I've prayed about my career and the Lord has given me better jobs with good companies, and my wife has been able to go back to school and life is seemingly working out wonderfully. To say that moving to California was in God's plan is an understatement, despite some of the "tests" and "tribulations" that I've gone through while here...

However, I feel that I'm still a "baby" in Christ, but yet, I find myself not fulfilled...

My wife can tell you that I've always said that for some reason, for the past 10-15 years, I've always felt, that in my heart I'm here for some reason other than just "working the job, and taking care of the family". It's as if God has something bigger for me planned. It's as if he wants me to be closer to him, and I keep feeling that I'm "missing" something. I don't know what it is, and I can't explain it. This feeling has gotten stronger in the past year, and it finally hit its peak 3-6 months ago.

Why the pull to Catholicism? Why not Muslim? Hey, how about Hindu? How about a dash of Buddhism or a sprinkle of...you get the point...

I have no idea brother. I don't. I just keep feeling pulled to study Catholicism. I want to go to church and feel that I'm in God's presence...I guess that's the word for it.

And I don't feel that way right now in a Protestant church.

Ya know...if I hadn't been to so many different denominations, and maybe if I had just stayed in the Nazarene church my whole entire life and had never left, then maybe I could say, "hey, maybe I need to check out the Baptist church...maybe I should pray for guidance on that. Lord, do you want me to "test the spirits" and attend an Assembly of God?"

But it's not that way. I've been to them...I don't feel any different.

I went to mass Sunday here at a local parish. Maybe it's because it's new. Or maybe, just maybe, that "holy" feeling, and that "reverence" that I felt is indeed real.

All I know is that the more I go, the closer I feel to God.

I don't know. But I'm praying about it. And as long as I'm praying about it, I don't need to worry about it, because God will lead me. If it's his will for me to go to a Catholic church, then he'll make it that way. If I'm to move to a different denomination while practicing as a Protestant, then so be it.

All I know is that I yearn for something--what it is exactly, I don't know. But right now he's leading me towards Catholicism.

SoldierofChrist said:
BAchristian why are you considering Catholicism?

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
stray bullet said:
Yes, it's always a good idea to expect the worst in people :)

He didn't say anything about about Protestants, nor I. So for, no one has made a list of negative things against non-Catholic Churches, so I'd have to disagree.

You'd disagree with me if I said the sky was blue. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, after my long winded reply, this thread should be renamed to BAChristian's Testimony...

heh... :D

I look at it this way, if people want to nitpick, then let them.

I just want to share my testimony and see if there's anyone else out there in forum land that feels the same way I do right now...that's all...

stray bullet said:
No I wouldn't =(

I'm simply disagreeing with your assumption, I really don't think he was wanting to start anything. No one here has attacked Protestantism.

Upvote 0

SoldierofChrist

Modern Reformationist
Mar 3, 2003
PA
✟767.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm simply disagreeing with your assumption, I really don't think he was wanting to start anything. No one here has attacked Protestantism.

Well the sarcasm and the questioning of Catholics in regards of why they left "Protestantism" (Biblical Christianity) seems to be an attack at least in the suggestive sense.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
SoldierofChrist said:
Well the sarcasm and the questioning of Catholics in regards of why they left "Protestantism" (Biblical Christianity) seems to be an attack at least in the suggestive sense.

So what does that say for the other topic here that's the reverse?

And "Biblical Christianity"? What's that supposed to mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierofChrist

Modern Reformationist
Mar 3, 2003
PA
✟767.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well considering it's a valid thread discussing ex-Catholics' reasons for leaving the church, there's nothing wrong with that. You don't see Protestants going into the Catholic forum posting threads like this. I'm sure there would be the same reaction there as here.

It wouldn't bother me if this thread was in the Catholic forum if there were people honestly seeking answers for the question at hand. I'm not going to go into there and fight the ex-Protestants for leaving "Protestantism."

Upvote 0

SoldierofChrist

Modern Reformationist
Mar 3, 2003
PA
✟767.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
P.S. I'm not saying that BA was intentionally looking for a debate/ or to bash Protestants, although his sarcastic comments are questionable. I just don't think this thread has any business being in this forum as it questions non-Protestants as to why they left "Protestantism" in an evangelical forum.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
stray bullet said:
So what does that say for the other topic here that's the reverse?

That's okay, because it is the "Protestant" forum. Just like it's okay that you have a parallel thread in your forum.

And "Biblical Christianity"? What's that supposed to mean?

That Protestantism is biblical, while Catholicism is not. Catholics can, and do say the same sort of thing their forum, and it's okay for us to say it here. If you don't like what we post don't read it ;)

Sorry if I put words in your mouth SoldierofChrist, I just felt like answering :D

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Lotar said:
That Protestantism is biblical, while Catholicism is not. Catholics can, and do say the same sort of thing their forum, and it's okay for us to say it here. If you don't like what we post don't read it ;)

That sounds awfully petty, don't you think? i mean, it's just my opinion, but we are all Christians. Calling Protestantism "Biblical" is a bit of a stretch, considering how many of the churches disagree on what the bible means, and even the Catholic church holds it above all other documents. I don't like it when Catholics rant against protestantism either. Do you think Jesus would really want us to snip at each other for who is the better Christian?

I don't know why the topic was created, however, I'm not very fond of either side using it as a reason to assume the worst in others. Everyone has their own take on the bible, so we can't be certain whose version and take on it we can assume is the true one, or the most true... but I do know one thing... we can tell who is the most Christ-like in the way they treat others. :)
(And He knows I have a long ways to go, but I'm tryin'!)

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BAchristian said:
Well, I could get into a rather long story about my history, but I won't, because, a) my fingers will hurt, and b)...well...that's pretty much it...my fingers will hurt...heh.

Oh ok, I will...:p Consider this post, my testimony to my Christian brothers.

Born in the Bible belt. Was raised Nazarene primarily. I dare say I've almost been to almost every denomination known to man...I'm not exactly proud of it either. (Can you say, CHURCH HOPPER? I wonder why that is?)

Like any teenager growing up in a STRICT home (and I do mean strict. read: no shorts above the knees, no "mixed swimming", etc.), I rebelled. But I was different. I rebelled outside of my mother and father's home, mainly because I didn't want to bring any shame that I might cause to my parents. (Like most parents, or at least like most GOOD parents, they teach their children to not do things that will cause them or God to look bad.)

But I didn't care. I got SO tired of going to church and hearing the same...old...thing...day...in...day...out.

Hallelu...<dramatic pause>...bleh.

I'm talkin' Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night even. Oh yes...Wednesday night...can't forget that! :yawn:

And let's not forget Revivals!! :clap:

I'm sure I'm reeking of sarcasm at this point, but bare with me.

So at age 19, I was outta there! I mean, outta there. I didn't want any part of religion, and I didn't want to go to church.

I wanted beer. And lots of it. Darn if my high school buddies were going to drink from the age of thirteen to nineteen and I'm not!

So I threw my roots out the window, and I decided to "live it up" for the next eight years.

...or so I thought.

Fast forward to 2000. I decide to move myself and my family to California to take a job in San Francisco. Little did I know that God had a plan for me.

As the days went by, I felt the Holy Spirit convicting me. I felt a "tug" at my heart to go to church, and so naturally, I wanted to find a church that I was familiar with. I mean, why not right? A Protestant isn't going to go to a Catholic church. He's not going to go to one of those "weird New World Order Life Whateveryouwannacallit California churches!!" either...scary stuff there...

So I started to attend a church called, "New Life Christian Center". I started going there, and while I wasn't a Christian, I still wanted my daughter to go. I wanted her to be raised in a church even though her Daddy may not be right with God. I, at least at this point, still held, within my heart, that of which I was taught when I was younger. The Bible, as you know, talks about bringing your children up in the way of the Lord and they will not flee from it. Case in point.

So as a sinner, I still went to church. I didn't profess to be a Christian anymore, but I still felt...this...tug...

Of course I knew what it was. I'd been there before. (Contrary to popular Catholic belief, not ALL Protestants believe that once you're saved, you're always saved.)

I lost my job 6 months after I moved to Calfornia, and my heart was ruined. And like the prisoner that "finds Jesus", I turned to him in my darkest hour. After 5 months of being laid off, I started crying in church for God to save me...and I gave my life back to God.

One week later, I found a job.

During the time that I was at this church, I didn't necessarily feel comfortable. It was very, "jump up and down, praising the Lord" kind of church, and while I had visited oh so many of those churches in my day, I just didn't feel that God wanted me to worship him in that way.

So after 2 months of being a Christian, I left and started going to the Church of Christ.

So here it is, 3 years later, I've prayed about my career and the Lord has given me better jobs with good companies, and my wife has been able to go back to school and life is seemingly working out wonderfully. To say that moving to California was in God's plan is an understatement, despite some of the "tests" and "tribulations" that I've gone through while here...

However, I feel that I'm still a "baby" in Christ, but yet, I find myself not fulfilled...

My wife can tell you that I've always said that for some reason, for the past 10-15 years, I've always felt, that in my heart I'm here for some reason other than just "working the job, and taking care of the family". It's as if God has something bigger for me planned. It's as if he wants me to be closer to him, and I keep feeling that I'm "missing" something. I don't know what it is, and I can't explain it. This feeling has gotten stronger in the past year, and it finally hit its peak 3-6 months ago.

Why the pull to Catholicism? Why not Muslim? Hey, how about Hindu? How about a dash of Buddhism or a sprinkle of...you get the point...

I have no idea brother. I don't. I just keep feeling pulled to study Catholicism. I want to go to church and feel that I'm in God's presence...I guess that's the word for it.

And I don't feel that way right now in a Protestant church.

Ya know...if I hadn't been to so many different denominations, and maybe if I had just stayed in the Nazarene church my whole entire life and had never left, then maybe I could say, "hey, maybe I need to check out the Baptist church...maybe I should pray for guidance on that. Lord, do you want me to "test the spirits" and attend an Assembly of God?"

But it's not that way. I've been to them...I don't feel any different.

I went to mass Sunday here at a local parish. Maybe it's because it's new. Or maybe, just maybe, that "holy" feeling, and that "reverence" that I felt is indeed real.

All I know is that the more I go, the closer I feel to God.

I don't know. But I'm praying about it. And as long as I'm praying about it, I don't need to worry about it, because God will lead me. If it's his will for me to go to a Catholic church, then he'll make it that way. If I'm to move to a different denomination while practicing as a Protestant, then so be it.

All I know is that I yearn for something--what it is exactly, I don't know. But right now he's leading me towards Catholicism.

VERY nice post, BAchristian. :) I appreciate your honesty and openness. There are a lot of things about the Catholic Church that I like too, but I could never give up my salvation for it.(yeah, I'm OSAS).:) But anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for. I found it in Jesus, THE love of my life. :hug: :bow:

Just keep following Jesus, and He will take you where He wants you to go! :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.