Ex Catholics! (The Sad Story of Ex-Catholics)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ex-Catholics are among the people who make me the most sad. This is because they have left the Catholic Church, which is the one true Church that Jesus started, and the reality is that most every one of them leave for emotional and not intellectual reasons. In other words, they are either duped by the first religion that comes to their door that points out the bible and seems plausible, or just walk away all together. The truth is that most never performed a deep study before leaving to see if what they were walking away from was true. (If you would like to watch our YouTube video on this instead, click here).

Ex-Catholics Never Knew their Faith​

Most ex-Catholics have not even read a single book from the Catholic Church, or from any Catholic for that matter which explains the faith. So, how would they know their own religion? For this reason, ex-Catholics become anti-Catholics because they then receive their information about Catholicism from other anti-Catholic sources who themselves do not understand the Catholic religion. Another reason which leads to the same anti-Catholicism is that they did not “like” a particular teaching or did not want to follow a certain precept.

From decades of experience, most Anti-Catholics know virtually nothing about Catholicism or Catholic history, and worse, they present countless accusations that are not true in the first place. These are known as straw man arguments. Consequently, when Ex-Catholics leave the Church, some go and “study the faith” but from non-Catholic sources who themselves have never read a single Catholic book and remain ignorant as to what Catholics really believe.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen once stated: “There are not a handful of people in America who hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they mistakenly believe is the Catholic Church.”

When ex-Catholics and anti-Catholics are asked, “How many books have you read that were written by a Catholic from beginning to end?” So far, almost 100% of the time, they have not read even a single book that explains the Catholic faith.

Conversely, I could offer many books that I have read on anti-Catholicism, books that are against the Catholic faith from other religions. I have studied both sides and know the arguments well. Ex-Catholics think they know the Catholic faith well, and yet cannot even demonstrate a basic understanding of Catholic doctrine. Worse, they make outlandish claims that Catholics don’t even come close to believing.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ex-Catholics are among the people who make me the most sad. This is because they have left the Catholic Church, which is the one true Church that Jesus started, and the reality is that most every one of them leave for emotional and not intellectual reasons. In other words, they are either duped by the first religion that comes to their door that points out the bible and seems plausible, or just walk away all together. The truth is that most never performed a deep study before leaving to see if what they were walking away from was true. (If you would like to watch our YouTube video on this instead, click here).

Ex-Catholics Never Knew their Faith​

Most ex-Catholics have not even read a single book from the Catholic Church, or from any Catholic for that matter which explains the faith. So, how would they know their own religion? For this reason, ex-Catholics become anti-Catholics because they then receive their information about Catholicism from other anti-Catholic sources who themselves do not understand the Catholic religion. Another reason which leads to the same anti-Catholicism is that they did not “like” a particular teaching or did not want to follow a certain precept.

From decades of experience, most Anti-Catholics know virtually nothing about Catholicism or Catholic history, and worse, they present countless accusations that are not true in the first place. These are known as straw man arguments. Consequently, when Ex-Catholics leave the Church, some go and “study the faith” but from non-Catholic sources who themselves have never read a single Catholic book and remain ignorant as to what Catholics really believe.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen once stated: “There are not a handful of people in America who hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they mistakenly believe is the Catholic Church.”

When ex-Catholics and anti-Catholics are asked, “How many books have you read that were written by a Catholic from beginning to end?” So far, almost 100% of the time, they have not read even a single book that explains the Catholic faith.

Conversely, I could offer many books that I have read on anti-Catholicism, books that are against the Catholic faith from other religions. I have studied both sides and know the arguments well. Ex-Catholics think they know the Catholic faith well, and yet cannot even demonstrate a basic understanding of Catholic doctrine. Worse, they make outlandish claims that Catholics don’t even come close to believing.

Continued below.
True.
So true.

When they 'argue' with me, whether friend or curious or online, they 'tell me' what Catholics believe and I tell them, not only is that false but anyone who fell for that 'salesmanship' proposal neither knows history NOR what the Church has ever ever taught.

Usually they stop talking.

For whatever reason, I remind them if the Catholic Church is not truth, why is it that every single church must attack her to create their own?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify from my pov… yes there are some of us that have run into these ex-Catholics that pretty much fit with this article perfectly. But there are those that left the Church that are thoughtful in their decision to leave. Those are the one’s we never hear about. It was not my intention when I posted this article to hurt anyone. I was more focused on my own hurt at the time as one of these ex-Catholics was continually posting here at the time when we were experiencing some difficult things within the Church.

I got a message from a friend whom I hurt by posting this and I just want everyone to know there are two sides to every story. Of course I was posting from my side at the time out of frustration. So I want to extend my apologies to those that this article hurt. Like the news cycle, the good news barely gets a nod. Same goes for those thoughtful Christians that quietly left with no ill will, misunderstanding or ignorance of their personal decision to follow the Lord outside the RCC. Please accept my apology. :praying:

Upvote 0