Jan 6, 2010
✟15,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Liberals
Evolution simply has never been observed.

For example i have several pets, some are several years old. Yet they haven't evolved. How will the evolutionist respond to this? Here's what they will say:

''no you stupid creationist. how do you espect something to evolve in only a few years! it takes millions.''

Yet, Millions of years is not observable. Evolution is based on this fairy tale logic of vast periods of time.

A much more self-preserving response would have been "I don't understand anything about evolution but I will deny it anyway".

Individuals do not evolve, evolutionary theory does not say they will. You are arguing a strawman. What evolutionary theory does say is that if your pets had offspring they would be slight different to the parents, those with the best genes are most likely to survive and reproduce. Multiply this over hundreds of generations and small changes become large changes.

Evolution is observable but creationists who stick their head in the sand to protect their beliefs will not see it. Have you ever heard of nylonase? It is an enzyme that breaks down nylon, a material that was only invented 100 years ago. The enzyme was an evolutionary response by a strain of E. coli that was subjected to the material.

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A wikipedia article isn't evidence for anything. It's not a valid source. It's a heavily biased website, edited and moderated by Atheists, it's founders were even Atheists (Jimmy Wales it's co-founder is a well known Atheist, following an Atheistic philosophical school called ''Objectivism'').

^this can't be real.

Upvote 0

Ellinas

Dec 30, 2009
✟727.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Evolution simply has never been observed.

For example i have several pets, some are several years old. Yet they haven't evolved. How will the evolutionist respond to this? Here's what they will say:

''no you stupid creationist. how do you espect something to evolve in only a few years! it takes millions.''

Yet, Millions of years is not observable. Evolution is based on this fairy tale logic of vast periods of time.

STRAWMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

troodon

Be wise and be smart
Dec 16, 2002
University of Iowa
Visit site
✟17,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
the man that wrote that also belive the world is flat

A 5 day old account of a person who defends a flat earth, asks why his pets aren't evolving, and says wikipedia isn't a valid source for a defintion of a word because it was created by atheists.

Yeah, it's fiction.

Upvote 0

firechild_82

Jan 6, 2010
✟15,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Liberals
I will agree that wikipedia is not a valid source of information, anyone can make an account and edit things if they so choose

I agree, but it has nothign to do with being run by atheists. Usually it is a good starting point for basic information though.

Upvote 0

Idonotagree

Feb 17, 2010
✟15,138.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Besides even if it is run by athiests and even if they do alter information in their favor (wich who knows they may many say they do the same on there with their political views) it wasnt us trying to convert him it was just us trying to get him to read an argument on the fact

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Except the difference is that I would reject your Creationist site not because of their religious beliefs but because the authors aren't qualified experts in the field they are critiquing.

Evidence? Most creationists i know are Ph.D. level. I'm taking a Ph.D. in a few years, i probably have more qualifications than anyone else in this thread.

Also, it's odd to see a quote from Plato in your signiture, when he was an advocate of creationism/intelligent design, yet you attack/reject creationism, an obvious contradiction.

Upvote 0

Asycthian

Feb 13, 2010
✟298.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
And why are you speaking of athiests like their the devil, your doing nothing but showing prejiduce and embarrasing yourself athiest or christian it doesnt matter their people and the people linking the sites are just trying to present an argument, on top of that unlike christians athiests dont base their studies or websites i.e. wikipedia around their beliefs they dont belive in gos so they dont obsess over the fact of his in their eyes "non existance"

No need to be hypocritical.

Look a few posts back, one of your pals admitted to reject any creationist link i would give him, he would not even read it. Yet, when i say the same thing regarding Atheist websites, you Atheists don't like it...

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posted by Ayscthian:

"The truth is, you guys really fail. You can't debate properly."

There is, without question, a tendency by both atheist and supporters of evolutionary theory (for whatever reason) to almost immediately label any who question evolutionary theory in any form as first a “creationist” and then as some form of idiot or imbecile. In fact, the terms are considered to be mutually inclusive. As a veteran of many debates with evolution as its central subject matter, I can attest to how quickly the nature of the responses from the strict “pro” evolution side turn personal in nature, and the pattern they generally follow. Denigration of any who question or criticize evolutionary theory, especially if worded in a manner which even hints at the notion of either creationism or intelligent design, is the norm.
However, lets see if your comment is correct.

Note also that due to the length of this post, I had to seperate it to comply with site restrictions.

Sometime ago I participated in a thread which discussed, among other topics, the Endogenous Retrovirus, or ERV’s. The discussion later turned to include such topics as junk-DNA, RNA, and the RNA World Hypothesis (although the last will not be discussed here).

I have recently found some interesting information I just thought I would share and comment on. Beyond my comments above, I have no hidden agenda. This is just a discussion of a few things I find interesting, and an endeavor to determine what form of response it receives. Additionally, since this is not meant for publication for personal gain, I did not cite references for every definition of every biological term in use. You can find this stuff in any good Biology text.

For background, a Virus is protein shell containing genetic information, or DNA, which can leave a cell. A Transposon, referenced in at least one of the links, is mobile DNA which has to stay within a cell. Viruses function by attaching themselves to a host cell, moving inside, and then taking over the host genetic replication machinery. It transcribes viral genes which code for proteins necessary to produce more virus particles. The viral genome is either DNA or RNA, and those which use DNA do so in the same manner as the host cell. As stated, the DNA is transcribed into RNA which is then made into necessary proteins.

A Retrovirus is one which uses reverse transcriptase to reverse transcribe their RNA genome into a DNA sequence which is then integrated into the host genome. HIV is a retrovirus.

An Endogenous Retrovirus is one which has been passed through the germ line. In other words, the germ cell contains a copy of the viral DNA, and since all cells in the offspring derive from this single germ cell, every cell in the new progeny would also have the viral DNA.

Junk DNA is the term applied to that some 98% of the human genetic structure which has no apparent function. Junk DNA does not code for proteins, and is therefore said to be genetic “garbage”, useless, or simply “junk”. Within a gene, a DNA region containing such “junk” is referred to as an Intron.

Junk RNA are non-coding RNA molecules, and therefore not transcribed into proteins.

In the evolutionary debate, the question of junk DNA and RNA is no small one. Proponents of ID point to recent scientific findings which indicate that junk DNA is not really junk at all, but does serve a purpose within the cell and in regulation of biological processes. Proponents of strict neo-Darwinian evolution insist that no such thing is true. I have been following this for awhile, and recently put the following pieces together.

I found this over at Science-Blogs, on a sub-forum known as ERV.

Quote:

I was just listening to the 'debate' between Shermer/Prothero and Meyer/Sternberg.

Prothero brought up ERVs, and how they are leftover garbage cluttering up your genome.
Sternberg was all like, "NUH UH! IZ SO HAS FUNKSHUN!!" Its at about 1 hour, 28 min.

Sternberg tries to say that there are lots of 'ERVs' around during embryological development, therefore, PURPOSE AND JESUS!

*snicker*

**SNICKER**

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

End Quote. Link: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/?utm_sou...edium=dropdown

This is indicative of the debate going on within the evolutionary and/or micro-biology world, between the believers on each side. It can sometimes get pretty ugly. ERVs and junk DNA are said to be the bane of intelligent design. Since junk DNA is useless and serves no purpose it therefore makes little or no sense within the construct of design. It is also said that the very existence of junk DNA refutes the notion of an intelligent designer. Why would a designer create a genome 98% of which served no purpose? The same is said of Junk RNA.

ERVs found to be in the genetic sequence of both chimp and man are said to be clear evidence of common ancestry. When chimp and man diverged, man apparently took his ERVs with him. ERVs make up about 8% of the genome, and were also said to be non-functional or serve no purpose. But yet, some ERVs do apparently have function.

An endogenous retroviral long terminal repeat is the dominant promoter for human β1,3-galactosyltransferase 5 in the colon

Quote:

“LTRs of endogenous retroviruses are known to affect expression of several human genes, typically as a relatively minor alternative promoter. Here, we report that an endogenous retrovirus LTR acts as one of at least two alternative promoters for the human β1,3-galactosyltransferase 5 gene, involved in type 1 Lewis antigen synthesis, and show that the LTR promoter is most active in the gastrointestinal tract and mammary gland. Indeed, the LTR is the dominant promoter in the colon, indicating that this ancient retroviral element has a major impact on gene expression.”

End Quote. Link: http://www.pnas.org/content/100/22/12841.full

LTR is the abbreviation for long terminal repeat, as stated in the title. But this long term repeat, or “retroviral element”, has a major impact on gene expression. ERVs and retroviral elements are not quite the same things, true. Oh her website "ERV", also know as Abby Someone, states it in this manner:

“Well, a handful of endogenous retroviral proteins (not endogenous retroviruses) have been domesticated by the host genome. But this 'explosion' of 'ERVs' is in no way necessary.”

But she is in the midst of another of her heated rants against creationist, so whereas I respect her knowledge, I have always held her motives for presenting it suspect. The PNAS article does state that ERVs are known to affect expression of human genes, but is this evidence of the conclusion “ERV” flippantly refers to as “Function and Jesus”? Well…….

On the Science Blog website “ERV” herself goes on to link to a Professor Larry Moran, who also discusses this debate and the issues brought up. He states on his website the following where junk RNA is concerned, material in parentheses added by me.

Quote:

“Guttman et al. wanted to identify the small subset that might be functional. They identified 1,675 transcripts that show evidence of conservation (exact generational copies). The average transcript has six exons (an exon is simply a nucleic acid sequence represented in an RNA molecule) averaging 250 base pairs. Thus, each transcript has about 1500 base pairs of conserved exon sequence.

Even if every single one of these lincRNAs (long non-coding RNAs) have a biological function they will only account for 1675 × 1500 = 2.5 million base pairs. This represents less than 0.1% of the genome.”

End Quote. Link: http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2009/03...-junk-rna.html

0.1% of the genome admittedly is not much. But the ID crowd doesn’t take this lying down. Casey Luskin over at evolution news dot org, citing a Nature article, claims that in opposition to being transcriptional noise, “over 95% of the non-coding RNAs studied in the paper show "clear evolutionary conservation."

Quote:

“That's another way of saying that their sequences are more similar than would be expected if they were functionless and their encoding DNA was accumulating neutral mutations at a constant rate. After all, if such RNA has no function, you can mutate their encoding DNA with no negative consequences to the organism. But if they have function, then mutations in their encoding DNA would tend to be highly deleterious. By finding that they have highly similar sequences, we find evidence of stabilizing selection, which is strong evidence of function.”

End Quote. Link: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009/03...nkrna_goi.html

The Nature article can be found here:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ature07672.pdf

If it does not come up in full because of pay per view issues, this is from the abstract and is interesting in relation to the study:

“Together, these results define a unique collection of functional lincRNAs that are highly conserved and implicated in diverse biological processes.”

And this from the conclusion:

"we speculate that many lincRNAs may be involved in transcriptional control—perhaps by guiding chromatin remodelling proteins to target loci—and that some transcription factors and lincRNAs may act together, with the transcription factor activating a transcriptional program and the lincRNA repressing a previous transcriptional program."

End Quote.

Functional lincRNAs? If junk DNA and RNA has function, then it can conceivably be evidence for design. Note that Larry Moran was referring to the Nature article as well in the quote I took from his website.

End Part One.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Begin Part Two.

Some of the functionality of junk DNA is said to include the following:

1. Regulation of DNA replication

2. Regulation of transcription

3. Marking sites for programmed rearrangements of genetic material

4. Influencing the proper folding and maintenance of chromosomes

5. Controlling the interactions of chromosomes with the nuclear membrane
6. Controlling RNA processing, editing, and splicing

7. Modulating translation

8. Regulating embryological development

9. Repairing DNA

10. Aiding in fighting disease

Source: http://www.allaboutscience.org/junk-dna.htm

The one thing I really didn’t like about this website was the lack of supporting links to support these claims, so I looked a few of them up myself. I found the following.

'Junk' DNA Has Important Role, Researchers Find

Quote:

“Now researchers from Princeton University and Indiana University who have been studying the genome of a pond organism have found that junk DNA may not be so junky after all. They have discovered that DNA sequences from regions of what had been viewed as the "dispensable genome" are actually performing functions that are central for the organism. They have concluded that the genes spur an almost acrobatic rearrangement of the entire genome that is necessary for the organism to grow.”

“The term "junk DNA" was originally coined to refer to a region of DNA that contained no genetic information. Scientists are beginning to find, however, that much of this so-called junk plays important roles in the regulation of gene activity. No one yet knows how extensive that role may be.”

End Quote. Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0520140408.htm

And this from ScienceDaily as well.

Introns -- Nonsense DNA -- May Be More Important to Evolution of Genomes Than Thought

Quote:

“The sequences of nonsense DNA that interrupt genes could be far more important to the evolution of genomes than previously thought, according to a recent Science report by Indiana University Bloomington and University of New Hampshire biologists.”

“Graduate student Wenli Li, whose participation in the research overlaps her dissertation work, was the paper's co-lead author. Li said she was particularly interested in the notion of hot spots that make it more likely for separate lineages of Daphnia to gain introns in the same place (or the same general area) within the water fleas' genomes. Four of the 23 different kinds of introns the scientists found were not unique with respect to position. If introns were always inserted in random places within genes, the scientists would have expected zero introns to have identical insertion points.”

End Quote. Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1210111148.htm

And this from infoaging dot org.

The role of "junk" DNA in DNA damage and repair

Quote:

“The human genome is littered with repetitive DNA sequences, commonly called "junk" DNA, that until recently were thought to play merely a structural role. However, a study published in the June 31, 2002, issue of Nature Genetics showed that certain types of these junk DNA sequences, called retro-transposons, possess the ability to move around in the genome. Studying the activity of these retro-transposons in hamster cells with impaired DNA repair systems, investigators found that retro-transposons seem to play a role in DNA repair. Cells' DNA occasionally suffers double-stranded DNA breaks, which can cause cell death. Retro-transposons jump into these breaks, knitting the genome back together and preventing cell death.”

End Quote. Link: http://websites.afar.org/site/PageSe...a_18_r_junkDNA

Cell Death is a fascinating subject, but I digress. The question at hand for this particular post can be expressed in this manner. Does junk DNA and junk RNA serve no purpose, or does it actually have purpose? In the realm of science, micro-biologist, geneticist, and other researchers are rationally working to find out, and there is mounting evidence that what was once commonly referred to as junk DNA and/or junk RNA is being found to have more function than once thought. But in the realm of the Evolution/Creation/ID debate, it seems to be an either/or question, with again no room for one over the other.

As always, I make no claim to “know everything”, I simply have a working background in Biology and continue to read and study the subject matter involved. Therefore, I am making no claim that because junk DNA and junk RNA have been found, in some cases so far, to have function, as well as some ERVs and retroviral elements have, that this therefore proves intelligent design. I simply maintain that within scientific study, the possibility for design as potentially indicated should be considered as a possible explanation. Or as a friend of mine would say, within the construct of multiple working hypothesis.

The Anthropogenic Global Warming debate has recently revealed clear evidence of science with an agenda. The same is sometimes true in Evolutionary science, I believe, but I leave that question for any who have read this far.

Now we will see if Ayscthian has a point.

Further reading for the die-hard.

Astonishing DNA complexity update

http://creation.com/astonishing-dna-complexity-update

Junk RNA Begins To Yield Its Secrets

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200...runc_sys.shtml

Introns: a Mystery

http://www.panspermia.org/introns.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes. I guess I didn't include that bit of information because I didn't think it was germaine to the discussion.

Good good. Although....

Firstly, erm..."Darwinists".....really? Secondly, it is not a tenet of evolution to insist that what is dubbed junk DNA is all functionless, however, a lot of it does appear to be functionless, and it's not unreasonable to think that we inherit functionless genetics - our botched Vitamin C synthesis being a prime example.

As for the post you quoted (which is just that, one post, and hardly indicative of the wider community) the point is that junk DNA having function still doesn't do anything to support ID, it just goes towards countering the idea that that particular set of genetic wasn't functionless.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Evidence? Most creationists i know are Ph.D. level.

Funny how they never publish any research, then.

I'm taking a Ph.D. in a few years, i probably have more qualifications than anyone else in this thread.

*points to his age: 19.

^_^

Also, it's odd to see a quote from Plato in your signiture, when he was an advocate of creationism/intelligent design, yet you attack/reject creationism, an obvious contradiction.

Because we realize that Plato was infallible, obviously.

Lol, seriously. No. You are at best an undergraduate. In the first page of this thread you said

2. DNA isn't evidence for anything, nor is it even proven, it's based on the Atomic theory, which was invented by Atheistic materialists.

Someone who says that and actually believes it simply will not succeed in a science program at an undergraduate level, let alone be considering a doctoral program at nineteen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peadar1987

Mar 22, 2009
I'm a Dub, but I live in Scotland now
✟1,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Evidence? Most creationists i know are Ph.D. level. I'm taking a Ph.D. in a few years, i probably have more qualifications than anyone else in this thread.

Maybe you do, but those qualifications clearly are not in biology, which is what you were attempting to debate. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I don't claim to know anything about advanced genetics, or solid state electronics.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posted by Cabal:

“the point is that junk DNA having function still doesn't do anything to support ID”

Perhaps not. In writing this I intentionally tried to remain neutral, so one point I tried to illustrate was that some in the ID crowd have and will make this claim, without nuancing the point with discussions of their motivations and/or scientific literacy. I am of the mind-set that anyone can question evolutionary theory for any reason, and should be able to do so without having to suffer charges or being this, that, or the other equally vile thing.

Is the ID crowd correct in any fashion? I suppose where that question arises I would like to see a level of “arguing from ignorance” from within the evolutionary field. Perhaps you wouldn’t want to see this, or simply would not feel it necessary. But in the context that since it is not absolutely certain concerning the outcome of massive numbers of minor mutations attempting to accumulate and producing a radical new species over millions of years, any other outcome is equally likely. I believe the term for this is multiple working hypothesis.

“it just goes towards countering the idea that that particular set of genetic wasn't functionless”

Certainly a logical conclusion.

Upvote 0