J

Jet Black

worship4ever said:
Arikay, animals have a conscience, get real dude. Conscience is defined in three areas: language, self-awareness and "theory of mind." Language, animals communicate more with tone with anything, except for a few, animals communicate, only humans have language. Self-awareness, have you ever seen an animal look at him or herself in a mirror and be afraid or try to attack it, they don't have self-awareness.

yes, there are many animals that look in the mirror and realise they are looking at themselves. the primates are notorious for it, looking into amirror and seeing how they look. There is also lots of evidence that animals have conscience. go out and read som proper books on it, rather than just coming up with mindless ad hoc arguments.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Worship: So you throw out an idea because you personally dont like it. Very scientific. :) You know, it used to be thought that animals had No emotion. That was shown to be wrong. :)

Jet Black: Wish I had a link. The test is basically where they put a mark somewhere on the animals body, often in a place hard to get to or that can only be seen in a mirror and then put the animal infront of a mirror. If the animal then realizes they are looking at themselves by trying to then get the mark off their body or otherwise investigate the mark on their own body, they pass.
I believe many primates pass this test, and Just recently the Dolphin passed.

Jet Black said:
really? I haven't heard about this, what test is it?

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Arikay said:
Jet Black: Wish I had a link. The test is basically where they put a mark somewhere on the animals body, often in a place hard to get to or that can only be seen in a mirror and then put the animal infront of a mirror. If the animal then realizes they are looking at themselves by trying to then get the mark off their body or otherwise investigate the mark on their own body, they pass.
I believe many primates pass this test, and Just recently the Dolphin passed.

aah, I have seen this done with monkeys in a video in biology, thanks for reminding me of it :) all I could remember was monkeys looking at themselves.

Upvote 0

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
Siliconaut, do you honestly believe that if a scientist performed an experiment that disproved evolution, big bang, ect, do you think he's honestly going to start telling it around the world as soon as possible.

Of course. Why wouldn't he?

Mind you, it'd be an interesting experiment that disproved whole areas of biology and cosmology at one fell swoop, but I suppose it's possible. Wonder what the odds would be.

A creationist is objective that LOOKS at all facets of science.

That is not true. All the creationist ministry websites I've come across say, somewhere in the small (and sometimes not so small) print that their primary objective is to show how the natural world conforms to the Bible and that any piece of science that doesn't do so is wrong. That is not objective.

A creationist isnt going to make up numbers or alter an experiment for there gain.

No, they do it with the objective of gaining converts to their religion. But they most certainly do it, and it's been documented.

But, an evolutionist isnt going to be excited about proving evolution wrong, they fight that one forever.

Scientists are trying to find out how things work. They aren't going to be able to do that by hanging onto theories they know to be false. Evolution occurs; the theory of evolution by variation and selection is the current explanation. if the current explanation is shown to be wrong, (a) the replacement explanation will also be a scientific theory, not some piece of scripture, and (b) falsification of the theory won't alter the fact that evolution occurs.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Speaking of a Link, I found the article I read about it from Scientific American.

From http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0002433B-A643-1C5E-B882809EC588ED9F
"To test for dolphin self-awareness, Diana Reiss of Columbia University and Lori Marino of Emory University exposed two bottlenose dolphins to reflective surfaces after marking the dolphins with black ink, applying a water-filled marker (sham-marking) or not marking them at all. The team predicted that if the dolphins—which had prior experience with mirrors—recognized their reflections, they would not show social responses; they would spend more time in front of the mirror when marked; and they would make their way over to the mirror more quickly to inspect themselves when marked or sham-marked. The experiments bore out all three predictions in both dolphin subjects. Moreover, the animals even selected the best reflective surface available to view their markings."

(SciAm needs to cut down on the pop up adds. :) )

Jet Black said:
aah, I have seen this done with monkeys in a video in biology, thanks for reminding me of it :) all I could remember was monkeys looking at themselves.

Upvote 0

Siliconaut

Not to be confused with the other Norman Hartnell
@W4E:
Sili, you have a huge problem with thinking that everyone that believes in evolution is an atheist. I personally dont, i've never said it, never will. One the same line though, most think the bible is a good story book not the word of God.
And how does this adress the points raised in my post? Not at all, but I do see a pattern emerging...

The point remains: You seem to have grave problems acknowledging when you've been wrong - or, more correctly, when your sources have lied to you. Creationist websites show you only the data that fits into their worldview. Scientists deal with conflicting data, too, and change their hypotheses accordingly.

Creationists have lied to you, and you took them at face value. No loss of face, but one day you'll have to start thinking for yourself and not just repeating what's been drummed into you. :)

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
worship4ever said:
Siliconaut, do you honestly believe that if a scientist performed an experiment that disproved evolution, big bang, ect, do you think he's honestly going to start telling it around the world as soon as possible. A creationist is objective that LOOKS at all facets of science. Creationist and evolutionist agree on TONS of things that are never discussed here for obvious reasons. A creationist isnt going to make up numbers or alter an experiment for there gain. But, an evolutionist isnt going to be excited about proving evolution wrong, they fight that one forever.
I don't think evolutionists have an emotional attachment to evolution, unlike creationists with creationism. If evolution was falsified I personally wouldn't care, it wouldn't make any difference. I still wouldn't accept creationism because it has already been falsified and falsifying evolution wouldn't validate creationism.

Upvote 0

worship4ever

Jun 24, 2003
Anchorage, AK
✟15,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sili, creationist have lied to us, well that may be truth, but flip it around, your sources could be lying to you. Your sources have alot more to lose if there wrong, creationist either way love God. Plus, i would rather truth a believer of God than someone that rules out intelligent design completely any day of the week.

Upvote 0

worship4ever

Jun 24, 2003
Anchorage, AK
✟15,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
no emotion akiray (in reguards to animals). If you read my post you'll see the three things a species must have before their classification under conscience. Yea, i dog has nerves, and nerves ending, ect. If you hit a dog, it'll hurt, thats not emotion or proof of intelligent though or conscience

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Maybe you should do somemore research. :)

Yes animals have Emotions. Matter of fact both primates and Dolphins have shown some rather complex emotions.
However, many animals have the basic set of emotions that humans run on.

Of course that doesnt prove animals have a conscience (what is a conscience anyway?) however people Assumed animals didnt have emotions and were wrong. So maybe we should make unsubstantiated Assumptions. :)

worship4ever said:
no emotion akiray (in reguards to animals). If you read my post you'll see the three things a species must have before their classification under conscience. Yea, i dog has nerves, and nerves ending, ect. If you hit a dog, it'll hurt, thats not emotion or proof of intelligent though or conscience

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

worship4ever

Jun 24, 2003
Anchorage, AK
✟15,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
arikay, hey now, i never said that animals never had emotions, geez, do you even read my post, i said they don't have a conscience, and our way of "thinking" is much different than an animal. An animal doesnt sit all day wondering about self-id, or death, they run alot on instinct. It's been shown that if a monkey dies, the other monkeys will try to protect if from birds, flies, or other potential threads to the dead body. Is that emotion, are they upset or sad about it, no, they mostly dont understand it. They can't even realize themself in a mirror, or most cant. Did you read my pyschsogy essay on it, or any other links about the subject?

Upvote 0

OneLargeToe

Mister Boisei to you!
May 30, 2002
Visit site
✟381.00
Faith
Atheist
worship4ever said:
i said they don't have a conscience, and our way of "thinking" is much different than an animal. An animal doesnt sit all day wondering about self-id, or death,

I think that is due to the differences in our BRAIN, not because of some sky daddy.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Can you explain how I misread this post?

"no emotion akiray (in reguards to animals). If you read my post you'll see the three things a species must have before their classification under conscience. Yea, i dog has nerves, and nerves ending, ect. If you hit a dog, it'll hurt, thats not emotion or proof of intelligent though or conscience"

As I mentioned, I wasnt saying emotion was part of conscience.
Just an example where we made an assumption about animals and we were wrong. Learning from our mistakes is a good thing. :)

worship4ever said:
arikay, hey now, i never said that animals never had emotions, geez, do you even read my post, i said they don't have a conscience, and our way of "thinking" is much different than an animal. An animal doesnt sit all day wondering about self-id, or death, they run alot on instinct. It's been shown that if a monkey dies, the other monkeys will try to protect if from birds, flies, or other potential threads to the dead body. Is that emotion, are they upset or sad about it, no, they mostly dont understand it. They can't even realize themself in a mirror, or most cant. Did you read my pyschsogy essay on it, or any other links about the subject?

Upvote 0

Siliconaut

Not to be confused with the other Norman Hartnell
worship4ever said:
Sili, creationist have lied to us, well that may be truth, but flip it around, your sources could be lying to you. Your sources have alot more to lose if there wrong, creationist either way love God. Plus, i would rather truth a believer of God than someone that rules out intelligent design completely any day of the week.
It doesn't matter what you *wish* were true - it is extremely unlikely that the whole world of science was one great conspiracy.

The evidence is out there - you can either go into a natural history museum of your choice, a library, a canyon or to any paleontological researcher and see the fossil exhibits, calculations, etc... You can touch them (if you ask nicely ;)), you can do your own measurings, calculations, research, try to prove them hoaxes, whatever you like. And many, many people do that every day, and so far, none of them has brought evidence that falsifies the ToE.

My point is: The chances that all scientific sources are promoting the *same* lie is astronomically small. There is no "evolutionary agenda" - we can't "prove" evolution in the scientific sense, we can only try falsifying it in every thinkable way. So far, we`ve had no success, and it would be a veritable fool who'd let the opportunity slip. :D

Creationist sources do *not* give you all the data. They hand-pick what fits their worldview and ignore or try to belittle the rest - this is *not* scientific, but extremely biased. I call it lying with intent - as they full square know which questions they cannot answer and have to sidestep diligently.

It's been shown that if a monkey dies, the other monkeys will try to protect if from birds, flies, or other potential threads to the dead body. Is that emotion, are they upset or sad about it, no, they mostly dont understand it. They can't even realize themself in a mirror, or most cant.
I wonder why you keep saying "mostly" - probably because you realise you're not so sure about all that? I like to compare chimps with small children - they're not very intelligent, they jump around a lot and have some remote cuteness about them. They also show great similarities in their behaviour, since children are not yet subject to the extreme self-censorship and self-control that adults have incorporated.

Do small children realise death? They don't. Does that make them animals? No, they simply haven't learned the concept of death yet. I don't know what chimps make of death - maybe to them, it's just an inconvenience, something that simply happens.

The matter at hand is intelligence, though - and thinking of chimps as small children IMO goes a long way in explaining why there are no big ceremonies, speeches etc... Chimps are not as intelligent as full-grown humans, but I doubt they're intellectually less capable than, say, a two-year old. Many can indeed be taught to do simple maths - quite contrary to some people in high school...

And then, there's conscience - how do you define it? For most humans, conscience is probably a way of calculating actions for fear of reprisals. Darn - most pets can do that, so there is at least a basic amount of conscience in the animal kingdom. More intelligent animals like chimps even have moral codices that guide their behaviour - so the point remains, that there is only a gradual difference between humans and animals.

Self-awareness? You bet. Dolphins and Chimps are animals I immediately have to think of when it comes to self-awareness, as has been demonstrated repeatedly. E.g. you project a point of light somewhere on their body where they can only see it in the mirror, and they try plucking away at it. If that's not awareness that the image you're seeing is yourself, then I don't know what will satisfy you. Chimps can learn a complex sign language that has termini like "me" and "you" - and these are used in correct context. How's that? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Arikay said:
Also, I believe evidence has been found of earlier primates who burried their dead, possibly showing that they knew death and had some sort of social ritual sorounding it. (wish I had a link to more info).

Actually, the only thing that it shows to me, if they bury their dead is that they cared enough about the person not to want them to be eaten by an animal. There are times that you will find that they buryed some of their personal tools with them also. A knife or ax or something like that. So from our perspective, that may show that they had enough regard for them that they did not want to steal their personal property even if they were no longer alive. But it is all speculation, because we just do not know their culture or what they were thinking.

Sense my wife comes from a different country and a different culture than I do, I have learned that it is not always a good idea to speculate. Sometimes they just think and do things different from what we do.

Also, I am not so sure that we do not still have stone age cultures today here and there in different places around the world. It may not be that difficult today to find a small group of people who live pretty much the way they use to live even 6,000 to 10,000 years ago when they first began to have some domicated animals and cultavate their food.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Siliconaut said:
My point is: The chances that all scientific sources are promoting the *same* lie is astronomically small.

They all promote the same error, untill they come up with something better. Or more often until more information comes along.

A better word could be speculation. No one really can argue with the natural record or the evidence. Just their comments about the evidence. What they call theorys, or hypothesis.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

JohnR7 said:
A better word could be speculation. No one really can argue with the natural record or the evidence. Just their comments about the evidence. What they call theorys, or hypothesis.

it is not just speculation, but the ability to predict. Evolution, with all it's apparent flaws has the ability to predict. Darwin didn't know about all the thousands of transitional fossils that have been found since, but his theory effectively predicted their existance (though they may not have been found, as a result of rotting and so on) Creationism does not predict anything. people might try and mould creationism to some pseudoscientific framework, but at the end of the day the framework cannot predict anything new that is found. there are no predictions in creationism that state "if the earth was made 6k years ago, we will find such and such features" none at all.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jet Black said:
Darwin didn't know about all the thousands of transitional fossils that have been found since, but his theory effectively predicted their existance

That maybe your perspective. But from a Christian perspective they have simply tryed to force the fossil record to back up their defunct darwinistic theory. Even then, they had to go from darwinism to neo darwinism to do that.

The Bible says that God created man from the clay or the elements of the earth. He created the animals from the very same elements. But one did not evolve into the other. Or at least there is no evidence to that effect. I am sure if you got a bunch of skeltons of dogs, you could arrange them in a way that it would look like over time, small dogs evolved into big dogs. So if you were to gather a group of horse skeltons and arrange them from small to big. That does not prove that horse evolved in the same way either.

Upvote 0