Does God Try His Very Best to Save Every Single Person?

Is God actively trying to save every man, woman and child?

• Of course! Everybody knows that!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Of course not. He calls and draws only those He has chosen.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Is God actively trying to save every man, woman and child?
  • Is His effort completely equal in each case?
Please answer one or both questions, and use biblical backing as much as possible.

Jesus has already saved every person and every person gets set free , then you reach the point when you are responsible to choose whether or not you take the salvation with the knowledge of good and evil , you have a lifetime to choose but your chances get slimmer every day .. God is not willing that any should perish .. Now if you've heard the gospel what you gonna do and when you gonna do it ?
You ain't gotta go Home but you can't stay here ..

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Guess I will have to wait for heaven for that answer. Because He's not talking.

He is talking here:

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, (John 6)

Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. (John 6)

even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[b] for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee[d] of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it,[e] to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1)

And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac,11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? (Romans 9)

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He is talking here:

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, (John 6)

Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves.44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. (John 6)

even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us[b] for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee[d] of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it,[e] to the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1)

And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac,11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? (Romans 9)​
Do not attempt to hand me what God has not. There are very real people who are being lost each and every second of every single day! They are not the "theoretical lost" for those who fancy themselves theology students to bandy around as some sort of dispassionate term either. Dismissing them from sight with a few cherry-picked, misplaced bible verses doesn't mean they are worth nothing--to God. I have EVERY right to ask God why He does not save others like He did me, as His child in Jesus Christ. (He made His throne room my go-to place for requests. Not me.) Should I be afraid of my Father in Heaven, to not dare ask Him questions about why He doesn't engage His love for all to people who need Him, despite their ignorance? If I cannot ask Him to save them or why He does not, who can I ask? If what you say is true, then why bother to pray for the lost--like He commanded us to? Why bother to even acknowledge their existence? Why did the Lord tell us to go and share HIS Good News of Jesus Christ with them? The fields are ripe. So make "Christians" so completely UN-comfortable that they get sent! Only He can make that happen. He doesn't, or not often enough to me. Why? Because WE are the oblivious to the lost sinners here, never God. Make us UN-oblivious to their immediate need then. ASAP. Time is short. Move their hearts or move OURS for them.

I'll wait for HIS LOVING answer, thanks all the same. Believe in predestination. Means nothing to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Do not attempt to hand me what God has not. There are very real people who are being lost each and every second of every single day! They are not the "theoretical lost" for those who fancy themselves theology students to bandy around as some sort of dispassionate term either. Dismissing them from sight with a few cherry-picked, misplaced bible verses doesn't mean they are worth nothing--to God. I have EVERY right to ask God why He does not save others like He did me, as His child in Jesus Christ. (He made His throne room my go-to place for requests. Not me.) Should I be afraid of my Father in Heaven, to not dare ask Him questions about why He doesn't engage His love for all to people who need Him, despite their ignorance? If I cannot ask Him to save them or why He does not, who can I ask? If what you say is true, then why bother to pray for the lost--like He commanded us to? Why bother to even acknowledge their existence? Why did the Lord tell us to go and share HIS Good News of Jesus Christ with them? The fields are ripe. So make "Christians" so completely UN-comfortable that they get sent! Only He can make that happen. He doesn't, or not often enough to me. Why? Because WE are the oblivious to the lost sinners here, never God. Make us UN-oblivious to their immediate need then. ASAP. Time is short. Move their hearts or move OURS for them.

I'll wait for HIS LOVING answer, thanks all the same. Believe in predestination. Means nothing to me.

If you wish to ignore the plain teaching of scripture in favor of your own thoughts on the matter, you may. I just offered up what scripture has to say on the matter.

People are not lost because they are ignorant, by the way. There are none ignorant or innocent.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,[g] in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.​

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.​

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.​

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (Romans 1)​

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you wish to ignore the plain teaching of scripture in favor of your own thoughts on the matter, you may. I just offered up what scripture has to say on the matter.

People are not lost because they are ignorant, by the way. There are none ignorant or innocent.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,[g] in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.​

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.​

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.​

28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (Romans 1)​
I knew you would say that. They always do.

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is why I said I would wait upon His answer, and not man's. He alone knows what I mean by my request. Not you, not anyone. He is my God.

You think you're the first person who I have expressed this to and didn't understand what the thoughts and intent of my heart was getting at? Allow me to disabuse of that notion, here and now. God knows it all.

So the answer to your question is, yes, I do know that God DID His best in saving the lost. Through giving us a Savior, in Jesus Christ. IS He doing His best to get HIS own message out to those who still need it? That would be a more relevant, honest question. Only He can motivate Christians to share it in the power and authority of Jesus Christ that we HAVE at our command, having no need to ask for it. Only HE can turn the hearts of the lost to Him. Are you afraid to ask it of Him? I'm not. Perfect love casts out fear. Don't you believe this of Him? I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeraphimsCherub

Nov 18, 2015
✟16,637.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Please answer one or both questions, and use biblical backing as much as possible.
Question 1. I would have to say no. For example, when God was destroying the earth with the flood; He was saving 8 people, while simultaneously drowning the rest of the world. The same with the exodus, while God was saving all the Israelites, He was simultaneously destroying all of the Egyptians who were in Pharaoh's army. When Jesus is praying for His people in chapter 17 of John, He say's:

-Joh 17:6I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
-Joh 17:9I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

These verses are so clear, that they should obvious to any man reading them.
"thine they were", Jesus sought after the men which God the Father gave Him. He sought after all His disciples, they didn't come to Him, but He came to them. He saved Nicodemus, but left all the other Pharisees, and Sadducees(Before His crucifixion)
to die in their sins.

-Joh 19:39 And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.

In John 6:64-70 Jesus explains:

-Joh 6:64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

-Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

-Joh 6:44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

-Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

-Joh 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

-Joh 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

-Joh 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Peter replies: "we believe and are sure"

-Joh 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

Jesus makes sure that Peter, and His other disciples know that He gives them absolutely no grounds to boast about their believing, that it is according to the power of their own choosing and will. Jesus then replies to Peter's statement, saying: "Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?" He implies the very exact same thing when He asks Peter:

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealeditunto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Jesus emphatically tells them again in John 15:16 :

-Joh 15:16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

When Saul (Paul) is on his way to Damascus to get permission to kill believers in Christ Jesus, hi "will" is totally hell bent against the Lord's.

-Act 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
m
-Act 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Yet YHWH(I AM THAT IAM) JESUS has totally has His Will for Paul, and His Plans for Paul to begin. Paul was not seeking Christ, but Christ indeed was seeking Paul. The Lord Jesus Christ doesn't shine a bright light on the other men who were with him.

-Act 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

-Act 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

-Act 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest:it ishard for thee to kick against the pricks.

He saved Paul, but left the other men, who were in league with him as they journeyed to Damascus, in their sin. He comes to Abraham, and Sarah's tent, and not Jo-Shmo's tent, two tents over lol. And on, and on I could go. This is so easily seen throughout all of Scripture.

I myself was not seeking after Christ when He saved me, but He came to me,and saved me when I least expected it. Had not Christ first chose me, I would have never chose Him. I only love Him because He first Loved me.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Question 1. I would have to say no. For example, when God was destroying the earth with the flood; He was saving 8 people, while simultaneously drowning the rest of the world. The same with the exodus, while God was saving all the Israelites, He was simultaneously destroying all of the Egyptians who were in Pharaoh's army.

Thanks for your reply. I've never used the obvious contrast in those examples of how God saves some while destroying others. Well thought out.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No - of course not.

Judas didn't get knocked off his horse and spoken to out of bright light any more than Hitler got spoken to out of burning bush.

The answer to the question you asked is a very clear and concise "duhh".

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has He? He may have given His word to you, but you are making your experience the norm. In the history of man only a small percentage of people have had His word. Even today, there are millions, and million who don't. What about them?
It reads like you're intending to say God creates people to be saved and people to be damned on purpose. By his choice and not anything to do with people's choices who would fall in either of those two categories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No - of course not.

Judas didn't get knocked off his horse and spoken to out of bright light any more than Hitler got spoken to out of burning bush.

I believe you're confusing apostles there. Paul was spoken to after a light appeared on the Damascus road. He was not riding a horse.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe you're confusing apostles there. Paul was spoken to after a light appeared on the Damascus road. He was not riding a horse.
How do you know that he wasn't riding a horse?

So - do you really believe that the absolute leader of the delegation to Damascus was consigned by his superiors to walk or crawl?

Whether Paul was riding a horse or a donkey or a steer or a cow or a go-cart has absolutely no bearing on the question at hand.

Do I detect that you are one who believes that God tries just as hard to convert each and every person on earth?

Do you believe in the election of God by grace alone?

Don't bother to answer. I think I sense the answer coming a mile away. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It reads like you're intending to say God creates people to be saved and people to be damned on purpose. By his choice and not anything to do with people's choices who would fall in either of those two categories.

Rather than trying to read my intent, why not answer the question?

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
After considering again the response of Judahs_Lion to my first post ---- I'm thinking that it wasn't clear what I was saying in that post. (Sometimes I'm a bit too much of a wise acre for my own good.)

I said before:
No - of course not.

Let me rephrase that just in case.
"When every man, woman, and child on the face of the earth (including the likes of Judas Iscariot and Adolf Hitler) receives exactly the kind of special enlightenment toward truth that was given to Paul on the road to Damascus and Moses at the burning bush --- then, and only then, can anyone seriously believe that God's "effort" to save everyone is equal. This seems to me to be a spiritual no-brainer even if the doctrine of election wasn't as clear as it is in the scriptures."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

What scripture says about this, and is very clear, no ambiguity, including both gentile and jew.
Romans 9

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Your choice is to either agree with what God has said or disagree with what God has said.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What scripture says about this, and is very clear, no ambiguity, including both gentile and jew.
Romans 9

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh,“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Your choice is to either agree with what God has said or disagree with what God has said.
Do you know who wrote that letter to the Romans?

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rather than trying to read my intent, why not answer the question?
Before attempting to answer I need to clarify the question. Why not do that before asking an answer to a question that is not clear to some readers? This one, for example.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Before attempting to answer I need to clarify the question. Why not do that before asking an answer to a question that is not clear to some readers? This one, for example.

The OP contains 2 questions with no commentary from me. If those questions are not clear, then ask a clarifying question, but they are very simple and straightforward questions.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Do you know who wrote that letter to the Romans?

God wrote those words using Paul's hands, AMEN, and do you know what scripture truly is?
Supernatural Truth come from God.
If it is anything less, then it is not the Word of God.
You can always tell when someone does not agree that all scripture is inspired of God by what they say about scripture.

Upvote 0

Judahs_Lion

May 23, 2016
San P
✟15,721.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't bother to answer. I think I sense the answer coming a mile away.
I very much doubt that.
I'll answer your first question now.
How do you know that he wasn't riding a horse?
Saul was a Pharisee at the time he was on the road to Damascus. Here you will find what that means relative to the three narratives of Saul's encounter with the light in / Acts 9:3-4, Acts 22:6-7 and Acts 26:12-14 . Those passages are important to familiarize yourself with so as to understand the rest of the answer.

You'll note in those scriptures there is no mention of a horse at all. When there are two companions traveling with Saul it would be expected that one passage would relate how Saul came to fall from a horse and to the ground when encountering the light had he been on a mount. There is no such reference.

Further, that Saul's encounter was at midday is important to recognize in those passages.Saul was a Pharisee. The Pharisee prayed three times a day throughout a day and in the same way that King David described of himself in Psalm 55:16-17.
The three periods of daily prayer, observed in three hour periods, Saul would follow would be ascribed in scripture as well. Acts 2:15, referring to the third hour of the morning, or, 9 a.m. Noon, or 12 p.m. as described in Acts 10:9. And 3 p.m. , Acts 10:30. Which was also the hour of sacrifice.

There is no mention of a horse in any passages that report Saul's conversion. No mention of his riding a horse or leading a horse for that matter. Saul being a pious Jew and a Pharisee would have observed those three periods of prayer while facing toward Jerusalem and standing on his feet as was described as custom in Daniel 6:10-11. And all this while traveling the road to Damascus.

Had he been mounted Luke certainly would have made note of the prayer ritual Saul observed in keeping with the schedule of prayers and would have therefore noted each time Saul dismounted from his horse in order to observe the prayer schedule. And he most certainly would have noted Saul fell from his horse and to the ground upon seeing the light when the accounts were recorded in the book of Acts. It would be an important detail as were all the others reported. Especially when during the three hour prayer periods Saul would have had to dismount his horse to stand on his feet facing Jerusalem so as to engage in prayer.

Unfortunately, religious paintings that relate Saul's journey on the Damascus road depict him falling from a horse. That painting by the master Francesco Mazzola, for example. Such depictions by great artists leads the faithful to imagine a horse. When the scriptures do not relate that Saul was mounted upon a horse that is what we are to understand.

Upvote 0