do you know a good way to be more disciplined?

r2c2

Apr 24, 2007
South Wales
✟7,633.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello soda,

Don't worry - you will be fine. I felt really anxious about my ability to be self-disciplined prior to starting my PhD and now I'm sure it is the best thing I have ever done. I think what motivates me the most is the fact that I am passionate about and committed to the subject matter - if your course means a lot to you, you will want to work at it. And remember, the Lord will be with you, guiding you and keeping you safe.

It also helps to have a good crowd of people around you, as you tend to motivate one and other. If you need someone to chat to, feel free to e-mail me. I've been studying for a long time now and have had a lot of ups and downs with things so I'm more than happy to help.

I pray that brothers and sisters in Christ everywhere care for you in whatever you do

Peace and love be with you always, in His name

r2c2

:crossrc: :prayer: :angel: :preach:

Reactions: soda
Upvote 0

Princess Leia

God's ragamuffin
Oct 17, 2004
Fargo, ND
✟861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Make sure you attend every class, and get to know your classmates. Find a study buddy or three, and maybe get involved in a club that applies to your major. Try to study in places where you don't have a lot of distractions (TV, computer, etc.)
Best of luck in your studies!

Princess Leia/Kendra

Upvote 0

eugeneandbobo

Veteran
Apr 12, 2007
Auburn, AL
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
schedule is a good way of doing it. i hear that recommended a good bit.

im not a scheduler. a friend of mine divides sheets of paper into 4 sections spreadsheet style. 2 pressing and not pressing. the other 2 are due now and due later i think...don't remember. it works well for him...

i dont really have any methods or anything. i just do it. i try to get homework done the day i get it (otherwise i'll forget).

mostly, i just work on what i have coming up first and whats most important. if i have a test and a project done in 2 classes, i might work a little on the project, study until im ready and then work on the project a little more...

i just roll and see what comes of stuff

Upvote 0

HiLaReE320

Jun 23, 2005
✟7,718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Haha, I'm going into my senior year (in nursing, nonetheless) and I don't think I ever figured out how to be disciplined. You will learn what you need to do to make the grade that you want in a class. You just have to figure out what works best for you. I tried probably every semester to do the whole "study for an hour a day" crap, and it just never worked. I figured if I start studying 3-4 days before the test, I am golden. But DO go to class. That is very important. And when you're in class, actually pay attention to your professors, that way you can count that as extra "study time". Hey, I did. :)

Upvote 0

soda

life's the adventure - got one yourself
Feb 7, 2005
✟13,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I have to attend class. if you don't go, they can not let you to the finals. but I'm good in attending anyway. and I plan to listen and be attentive to what teachers say, that's half the cake, right?

what worries me most is all the learning stuff. homework is so much easier, because you know exactly what to do, till when, and you learn while doing it.
but "just" learning....

I like the advice "learning with classmates" a lot. I'll see what I can do there...

have a blessed day everyone

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For me there's no certain way to study. I just try to make as much time as possible for studying and sit down and commit myself to learning the material, constantly reminding myself that there's no sense in spending so much time on this if I'm going to daydream the whole time I'm "studying." Plus reminding myself of the rewards of doing well in college will be pretty nice once I'm out helps too :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums