catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I disagree with here in the least, besides perhaps any supposed implications that WE are the ones who choose Christ while still at enmity with him, is the notion of 'parts'. If God has spoken the whole thing into reality, it is all his part. We do nothing to cause him to do that. The fact that WE DO CHOOSE HIM is undeniable, and in fact I happily claim it as true —in fact, it is by God speaking it into reality that I do so!
I'm reminded of the Prodigal Son story here. You might say that when the prodigal left, he was at 'enmity' with God, in that he left/separated/did not want to abide with God. Christ speaks of this state in the parable as being "dead".

Now, when the prodigal, through his suffering (which God may have helpfully increased), decided then in response to his suffering to repent/return to the Father, that's a choice that God helps. He met him on the road, before he had even arrived.

Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm in my 80s and also have vision difficulty. I go to settings and zoom the text.
thank you for the advice. I can now read without the magnifying glass. Sure makes it easier. Now I leave this to all the experts to solve.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm reminded of the Prodigal Son story here. You might say that when the prodigal left, he was at 'enmity' with God, in that he left/separated/did not want to abide with God. Christ speaks of this state in the parable as being "dead".

Now, when the prodigal, through his suffering (which God may have helpfully increased), decided then in response to his suffering to repent/return to the Father, that's a choice that God helps. He met him on the road, before he had even arrived.
But see, the story didn't mention God 'helping'. I'm not saying the prodigal didn't choose. But it is GOD who works all things together. That we MUST choose is undeniable. But it isn't like that isn't God's doing it in us to do that —both to will and to do, according to HIS plan.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But see, the story didn't mention God 'helping'. I'm not saying the prodigal didn't choose. But it is GOD who works all things together. That we MUST choose is undeniable. But it isn't like that isn't God's doing it in us to do that —both to will and to do, according to HIS plan.
Yes, indeed, Luke chapter 15 -- read in full, all 3 parables (the other 2 are very short) -- you see God at work.

It's such a wonderful set of parables. :)

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Haha! I heard that one coming! I even considered mentioning it in anticipation and presenting rebuttal to head it off at the pass!

I memorized Revelation 3:20 in Greek back in my father's Greek class 50 years ago— (Wow doesn't seem that long ago!) (Not that it is important to the point, but I suspect there is somewhere to go with it, if one thinks the verse is talking about salvation, yet to oppose your implication that it is definitely proving salvation by human choice: The verse doesn't say "knock" but "call". Now why would anyone at enmity with God respond by opening the door?) But I tend to think it is implying fellowship, and not salvation. But each to their own, I suppose.
Haha! IDK, Strongs defines the term as "strike". But knock, call, whatever, the idea is that God beckons to us; He must take the initiative with all that implies. And in the historic understanding that means that we will not open the door without His grace prompting and moving us to do so, and yet, we can still refuse, we can say "no" even as He gives us all we need in order to say "yes". It's a both/and situation, by His wisdom and will for us. And fellowship with God is salvation if one understands the gospel. Somewhere in Institutes even Calvin acknowledges this concept of union, but apparently doesn't fully develop it or understand its importance, I believe.

Then you use the term, again, "force". Who is talking "force" here?
A rose is a rose... If God is so radically changing one's dispositon such that they cannot but choose as He desires, then they are no longer the ones doing the choosing. And the bible and the gospel are rendered pretty much unnecessary, as a sidenote; the need to obey, the need to choose good over evil, life over death, to walk justly with our God unnecessary to know-because the choice is made for you! And as with hope and love, faith is both a GIFT, and a very human choice, a daily one.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cooperative.

Say...analogy: when a small child takes their Parent's offered hand, then the subsequent walking is better directed (and faster, and safer....) than the child can do on their own, and cooperative. And the Parent can lead the child to something very good that the child might never find on their own. (or also in the analogy to a place the child simply could not find ever on their own, such as by car trip)

In that cooperation, both are participating, but the child could never do it alone, and might get struck by a car without that Parent.

And the child relies on the Parent, and trusts the Parent.

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." -- Mt. 18

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems it is not so much we choose good, but find ourselves moving away from former habits we no longer have the same degree of comfort with.
Maybe we find ourselves choosing good, as we first of all draw near to God, responding to His grace.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maybe we find ourselves choosing good, as we first of all draw near to God, responding to His grace.
Same thing, as most won't even realize it until activating hindsight. After all, none of us are 'good' so it is a matter of degrees. Would not those claiming they are pursuing good, not then be deciding for themselves what is good (their will before God's and using the forbidden knowledge of good and evil) rather than stumbling across the changes in themselves that God and not us have initiated once we turn ourselves over to Him?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Mark Quayle said:
Haha! I heard that one coming! I even considered mentioning it in anticipation and presenting rebuttal to head it off at the pass!

I memorized Revelation 3:20 in Greek back in my father's Greek class 50 years ago— (Wow doesn't seem that long ago!) (Not that it is important to the point, but I suspect there is somewhere to go with it, if one thinks the verse is talking about salvation, yet to oppose your implication that it is definitely proving salvation by human choice: The verse doesn't say "knock" but "call". Now why would anyone at enmity with God respond by opening the door?) But I tend to think it is implying fellowship, and not salvation. But each to their own, I suppose.

Haha! IDK, Strongs defines the term as "strike". But knock, call, whatever, the idea is that God beckons to us; He must take the initiative with all that implies. And in the historic understanding that means that we will not open the door without His grace prompting and moving us to do so, and yet, we can still refuse, we can say "no" even as He gives us all we need in order to say "yes". It's a both/and situation, by His wisdom and will for us. And fellowship with God is salvation if one understands the gospel. Somewhere in Institutes even Calvin acknowledges this concept of union, but apparently doesn't fully develop it or understand its importance, I believe.
Bear with me; it has been 50 years. I think the etymology shows the same root for κρούω (which Strong's does indeed say it means strike, as in to beat a door with a stick to gain admittance) as it does for "shout" which is κραυγή. If I remember right, the notion behind κρούω is that of "make the sound" as in announcing oneself at the door, or something along those lines. Notice that Christ says, "If someone should hear my voice..."

I haven't read Calvin's Institutes, so I can't say what he does or does not do as to "this concept of union," but the reports I keep getting as to Calvin's doctrine of puppethood (when I know very well there is no puppethood there), or of "automatic" virtues once saved (when I know very well that is not what Calvinism claims) have me more than ready to say that you most likely read Calvin very differently from how I would. In fact, I'm pretty sure what you mean by 'union' is a whole different sort of thing from what I mean by it.

Mark Quayle said:
Then you use the term, again, "force". Who is talking "force" here?
A rose is a rose... If God is so radically changing one's dispositon such that they cannot but choose as He desires, then they are no longer the ones doing the choosing. And the bible and the gospel are rendered pretty much unnecessary, as a sidenote; the need to obey, the need to choose good over evil, life over death, to walk justly with our God unnecessary to know-because the choice is made for you! And as with hope and love, faith is both a GIFT, and a very human choice, a daily one.
Whoa there, Nelly! Who says the regenerated cannot but choose as God desires? By desires, do you mean commands, or decrees? They aren't the same thing. Whatever, the regenerated do not choose contrary to God's decree; but they most certainly they do choose contrary to God's command, and often! But you don't seem to realize, not even the unregenerated, who always act in rebellion to God, cannot help but choose precisely as God decrees.

Born again, or not, one always chooses what one most desires to choose, even if they only desired it most at that moment of choice.

But it is not just the disposition, but the very person that is changed, and yes, radically. Mind, heart, will, disposition. Born again. Born from above. Born of the Spirit of God.

Maybe you can rewrite that paragraph with the first sentence corrected, then see if the rest of it makes sense.

Upvote 0