Do Baptists Believe They Are The Only True Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Oh, my bad! I wasn't saying YOU are writing it off...I meant that there are some who get so tightly caught up in trying to interpret what is written in scripture that they often miss the meaning behind it. Sorry for the confusion!

No worries.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone let's cut this poor guy some slack. Maybe we haven't understood him quite well or his intentions.
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, even though we share some doctrinal differences the LCMS is one of the most Orthodox branches of Lutheranism out there.

Now, had he said he was ELCA, that would be a whole different story!

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So are Baptists like Catholics in that they feel they are the one true religion and all must become Baptist to be saved?

I wish I had seen this thread before so much had been said because it sounds like an interesting question. I've read a couple of pages, but don't have time to read all 6 pages of comments.

My comment is that there are all sorts of Baptists, and like some other's have said here, there is quite a bit of difference among beliefs of different Baptists. I would also note that this difference shows itself even within a single congregation.

Speaking for me personally, though, I do not know any Baptists who think like Catholics that they are the only true religion. However, I know many Baptists who think their beliefs on salvation being through repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ are exclusively true. I have also noticed a general concern among Baptists for the salvation of the members of other denominations because they perceive those denominations to have strayed from the plan of salvation that Baptists hold to be sacrosanct.

That's probably what you experienced, IMO.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Everyone let's cut this poor guy some slack. Maybe we haven't understood him quite well or his intentions.
Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, even though we share some doctrinal differences the LCMS is one of the most Orthodox branches of Lutheranism out there.

Now, had he said he was ELCA, that would be a whole different story!

To be sure that the truth is out there, I am NALC, not LCMS or ELCA. The NALC is an offshoot of the ELCA because the people of the NALC didn't want anything to do with gay marriage and such that the ELCA was starting to approve.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2015
✟1,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not wanting to debate this, I just wanted to give you my experience. I have known many many Baptists and not one of them has ever claimed they think they are the only ones, nor have any of them tried to tell me that my choice of congregation is not the right one. I think the one you encountered is injecting his own personal views. Also over my lifetime of 63 years I have known people from many different denominations and have found each to have their own personal views not in line with that denominations set of creeds or whatever you call them. People seem to choose the one that best fits what they believe but no one ever seems to be in perfect harmony with what that denomination believes. My own personal opinion on that is whichever one brings YOU closer to God that is the best one. It is a personal thing as is our relationship with Christ & God. There will always be people on the earth who think you are wrong and going to hell if you don't line up perfectly with THEIR personal beliefs but that would be impossible since everyone is different. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Tony Conrad

Mar 15, 2014
✟15,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes Jesus is not Yahweh of the old testament. I dont want to go off topic on this thread so if you would rather continue this conversation, you can pm me:)
You must know that most Christians believe that Jesus is also God as well as the Father and the Holy Spirit. You will end up agreeing to differ in the end which is mostly what happens when christians speak to JW's.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
✟352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From what I have heard Baptists believe that baptism is "necessary" for salvation which I believe is false. Then they claim that the only baptism acceptable is the one by Immersion. That belief is false too. Furthermore they reject Infant baptism and that's what further complicate things. Now the reason why he made your being a Lutheran a big deal is because pretty much every christian denomination (including lutherans) approve and practice infant baptism except for Baptists who believe it to be unbiblical which is false conclusion. Hence he would have wanted you to be Baptised once again .
Sorry if someone answered you on this (didn't have time to read the whole thread at the moment) but I wanted to clear up the misconception. Bapitists do not believe that you must be physically baptized to be saved. Physical baptism is only an outward sign of obedience to Jesus and identification with him. Baptists who tell you otherwise are not adhering to scripture as you stated.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, there are many different kinds of Baptist, and we all vary on doctrine and structure, but we all support believer's baptism. Baptists can differ in soteriology, practices (I have heard some congregations practice Lent), and our attitudes towards other Christians. Heck, I have heard that there are Episcopal Baptists!
There are stereotypical Baptists, while there may be some truth in these Evestereotypes, they are often inaccurate. From my experience, non-Baptists view us as all Independent Baptists except we teach eternal security.

The Independent Baptists is what I imagine most people think of when they hear Baptists. If I am not mistaken, they tend to be legalistic and teach that things like reading the wrong translation is enough to send you to hell. However, they are just a vocal minority. To them, it is not enough to be a Baptist, you have to be an Independent Baptist or else you are not Christian. Now, I am sure there are true believers in this group, but I was summarizing my experience of them.

Free Will Baptists are Arminian, but that is all I really know about them.

Reformed Baptists are five or four point Calvinists who practice believer's baptism, but have a congregational structure with a plurality of elders.

Southern Baptists tend to hold a middle road view on Calvinism and Arminianism. We are taught eternal security, total depravity (man can respond to God's call through his own free will but is otherwise totally corrupted and hopeless.), while also teaching resistible grace and universal atonement. Calvinists and Arminians seem to get along fairly well in the SBC since our emphasis is on evangelism and not on whether or not Calvin or Arminius was right.

I am a Southern Baptist since I think the denomination is the most biblically sound and that they are trying to obey God without being legalistic. To my knowledge, the Independent Baptists seem to be the only Baptist group that believes they are the one true church and deny that they are Protestant.

I consider Lutherans, and other denominations to be fellow Christians. I do object to some of the beliefs and practices, but they seem trivial and not something that would send you to hell. I mean trivial things as worshiping on a different day of the week (see Romans 14), or icons (as long as you do not pray to them), having an episcopal system, and infant baptism, etc. Praying to saints, denying the Trinity, etc. are a different thing entirely. My church sent missionaries to witness to people in Kentucky, and a Methodist church let us use their building. So in the end, I would say we consider all Protestant Christian, and and have no issue with advancing the Gospel while working with other denominations, as we are all apart of the body of Christ.

I think the pastor's negative response to you was because Lutherans have some elements of Catholicism, which has a negative connotation with Baptists. To my knowledge, Baptists are Protestant in the sense we oppose the teachings of the Roman Church and hold to the basic beliefs of Protestantism, but Baptists appeared after the Reformation and felt that Anglicans and Lutherans, while fixing many problems that the Catholic Church had, did not take things far enough.

Upvote 0

JackKerouac

Uncle Zen-Master
Dec 29, 2005
Kentucky
✟93,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why are you guys giving Boidae such a hard time and being so harsh toward him? I don't see him being disrespectful of Baptists or doing any of the other things he is being accused of. What I do see is fellow Baptists being incredibly and needlessly defensive for no reason.

Boidae, to answer your question, no. Most Baptists don't believe you have to be Baptist to really be saved. As someone else here has already said, we all pretty much believe our denomination most accurately reflects scripture. That's why we chose that denomination.

Unfortunatley, there is a small percentage of Baptists who believe only people of their particular denominational breed will enter Heaven. Of course, there likely exists a similar minority in all denominations. In Baptist circles, they tend to be the extreme fundamentalists, King James only Baptists. It sounds like that's who you encountered. But the vast majority of Baptists do not sare their beliefs.

The vast majority of Baptists are also considerably kinder than some you have encountered here. :relieved:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Feb 9, 2014
✟18,457.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you just got a bad one. Baptist isn't a religion, it's a denomination. Our views and interpretations, while different than other denominations, may be justified and backed by Scripture. The Truth does not depend on religion or denomination, but is Christ. Those who accept Him and His Word and His Spirit welcome the Will of God, and that's the True people of God.
Hello 98
I also had spent a number of years in the Baptist denomination and as mentioned in my last post that is where I took my training but I wouldn't put a period behind that because Pentecost is also in scripture and as Baptists we are quite starchy. I am not suggesting that an emotional form of worship or tongues is the initial evidence but at the same time if it is done in an orderly manner I can't say anything against it.
I recall being in a Baptist service and the minister said something inspiring and I quietly but still audible 'amened' it well I understood right quick that I was out of order, now I am fine with that and I will do according to the order but I think we should concentrate scripture and not tradition.
I believe God's church is a progressive organism so that in the last days 'the hearts of the children will again be turned to that of the fathers'.

Upvote 0

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am a Baptist Pastor. With that said I should mention that first and foremost, I am a Christian. I choose Baptist because it is closest to that which I believe. We are not protestants which are those who rebelled against the Catholic Church such as Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists...
This is why the man seemed to be giving you the third degree. As Baptists (as other Christians also believe) we believe in going to the people and bringing the word. We use Jesus instructions to authenticate that. We also know that there are many who say they are Christians but when you start speaking with them, you realize they are not. This is particularly true of many of the mega churches.
You are a Christian if you are no longer separated from God. If you repented of that separation and asked for God to save you. It has to be a serious move on your part and not a bunch of words you repeat as some over zealous person tries to get one under his belt.

I was saved through a Presbyterian Church. Today, that is cause for alarm because so many of them have gone the way of the world. Pro homo, Women Pastors, Pro abortion...
When I was saved, they sent me to the Baptist Church to be baptized as they knew it was to be by immersion, not sprinkling. Now that is something that is arguable but not damning. If someone is truly saved and gets sprinkled and believes they are doing God's will, I have no problem with that as Baptism does not save anyone.

However there are things that should separate Christians from people who are not Christians. Example: If you worship Mary as the Catholics do, as co redemptive with Christ, you are not saved because it is by faith alone in Christ's work that you are saved.

Now here is why that Pastor was not sure about you. The Lutheran Church, although it broke away from Catholicism,it kept some of it's ways. Infant baptism for one. No matter how they cut it they are saying you are bringing your child into the family of God and it's some kind of bond and yes , they will have to be confirmed later on but this is what saves them while they are waiting.If you add to the gift of God by saying Mary, or Baptism can save you, you missed the truth and the truth is not in you. Here is another: Lutherans believe in Consubstantiation. In other words, there is some mystical power in the Lord's supper (they, like the Catholics call it communion) and it has a mysterious action when taken. No, It is a memorial service to remember what Christ did for us and although it should be serious and somber, there will be no added apparitions or added theatrics to the service.

There are others who claim Christ by saying, "I am born again" and upon asking them how they became born again they reply that they attend a Born again Church. This is also a non believer's conception of truth.

It seems to me that most denominations have things which are not true. Someone posted that some Baptist Church made their own wine. WHA???? Some will tell you that drinking is a sin when it is only drunkenness that is a sin. One guy said the word Baptist was used so that means everyone needs to be a Baptist. There must be a book of stupid ideas out there.

Let me close by saying this. If you are upset that this guy pressed you about your salvation, I would say that you might not be saved. I know as a Christian, I always enjoy someone making sure that I am saved if they approach me to give me the word. It means they are doing what Jesus told them and they are my brother or sister. No need to be offended.

Finally, are you spreading the Gospel, going to Church when the doors are open and have fellowship with Christians?

Sir, with all charity (which you didn't offer btw), I find your post to be not only innacurate, but insulting. If I presumed to tell you what you believed you would be offended as well I am sure. And I believe I would be in a better position to do so than are you as I was brought up in the Southern Baptist tradition. A faith that I still have a great fodness and high regard in my heart for. That said, I converted to the Catholic Church a number of years ago as I realized it is the one true and apostolic faith established by our Lord, Jesus Christ.

I'll try my best to move through your post step by step and offer up where I find your remarks to be in error or just simply insulting.

"We are not protestants" - there are two types of Christians...Protestants (non-Catholic) and Catholics. I won't spend a lot of time on this as I don't find it particularly important as to how you identify. Worth noting, that within Protestantism there are literally tens of thousands of denominations...not something our Lord desires for us.

"Pro homo" - this is simply offensive. While I as a Catholic do not support the "gay marriage" or the gay lifestyle, as Christians we should show love to all people..."hate the sin, not the sinner". We should follow Christ's man examples as he chose to put himself admist sinners. How can we ever hope to change hearts and minds if not by drawing people in through our love. Once we draw them in we have the opportunity to teach the truth to them. Our condemnation will only drive them away from the truth. I seem to recall something about splinters and logs in this regard.

"Baptism does not save anyone" - I would beg to differ as I know our Lord would as well. Jn 3:5 "Jesus answered, verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

"If you worship Mary as the Catholics do" - this is flat out untrue. It would be so refreshing to have someone outside of the Catholic faith simply ask a Catholic what they believe (although sadly, there are many Catholics who would have difficulty in answering this). That said, one could even pick up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church as it outlines everything Catholics believe. No Catholic who understands their faith would ever say that we worship Mary. We do not. Mary is not divine. While we venerate the Mother of God, we only worship God (the triune God...Father, Son and Holy Spirit). I believe the misunderstandings around this stems from the different languages that we Catholics use versus those in the Protestant world. I believe to the Protestant the word "pray" is synonomous with the word "worship". When we use the word pray, we do not mean to worship. What we mean is to "speak to". When we pray to Mary, which we do (although not required of Catholics), we simply mean we are speaking to her. And yes, we pray to other Saints as well as we believe the Saints in heaven are also our brothers and sisters in Christ just as those who are living with us still in this world. This doctrine is referred to as the Communion of Saints. When you ask someone to pray for you, that is the same thing we are doing when we go to Mary or any other Saints. How much more effective the prayers for us from these holy men and women are as they have already won the prize and are now in the presence of God himself. And Mary is first among Saints. The greatest example of all as to how we should live our Christian life. And we know our Lord listens to his mother as evidenced in the story of the Wedding at Cana. This misunderstanding is one of many. To quote the venerable Fulton J. Sheen - "There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."

"Infant baptism for one. No matter how they cut it they are saying you are bringing your child into the family of God and it's some kind of bond and yes , they will have to be confirmed later on but this is what saves them while they are waiting." - My post is getting lengthy I realize so I will try to keep this pithy. I can elaborate later and include more scripture quotations if you like (yes, I'm Catholic and I read scripture. I would actually credit the Baptist faith and my familiarity and love of Scripture with drawing me to the Catholic Church as it is through scripture that I found the truth of the Church). With regards to infant baptism...are you aware that the very earliest Christians baptized infants? Your sentence is difficult to understand, but if you are suggesting that baptism is sort of a hold over until you can really be saved through Confirmation, that is not what we believe. Baptism is the first means to and is necessary for salvation. Confirmation strengthens us in our faith and continues what Baptism started by maturing us in our faith and preparing us to follow through on the Great Commission to spread the Gospel. It is one of the Sacraments of Initiation. Baptism the first, Confirmation the second and then receiving the Eucharist (communion). Again, instead of putting forth what the Catholic Church believes, you might want to look into a copy of the Catechism first to make sure you know what the Church teaches. We do not believe Mary saves us. Only God has the power to do that.

"Lutherans believe in Consubstantiation. In other words, there is some mystical power in the Lord's supper (they, like the Catholics call it communion) and it has a mysterious action when taken. No, It is a memorial service to remember what Christ did for us and although it should be serious and somber, there will be no added apparitions or added theatrics to the service." - The Catholic understanding of what happens during the Eucharist (Communion) is slightly different than the Lutheran understanding. You are correct, Lutherans believe in Consubstantiation while Catholics believe in Transubstantiation. Without getting to far down in the weeks, the difference between the two words is subtle while what actually happens in a Lutheran service vs. what happens during the Catholic Mass is world's apart. Consubstantiation means that they believe when the minister consecrates the bread and wine that Christ becomes present along side of the bread and wine (Lutherans, please chime in if I got this wrong). Transubstatiation is the belief that when the Priest consecrates the host and wine that it actually becomes the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. While the accidents (the outward appearnce of the bread and wine) remain the same, the substance of them change as I previously indicated. This is indeed a great mystery and the human mind will never be capable of fully understanding, yet this is what we believe. You might refer to John Chapter 6...maybe start around v. 49 through the end of the chapter. Jesus is very clear when he repeats a number of times to eat his body and drink his blood. Even when questioned by his followers he doesn't start explaining in different terms, no he reiterates the same. As difficult as these words are for us to hear and understand in our time, the same was true then as those listening to him said "This is a hard saying; who can hear it?", and then began to leave, yet Jesus doesn't call them back and explain that he was merely speaking in symbols. Instead he asks his apostles "Will ye also go?"...when I became Catholic I made a decision to answer as Peter did..."Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life". Then of course there is the Eucharistic discourse. Again, the belief in the Eucharist is not something Catholics made up...this was practiced in obedience to Christ from the very beginnings of Christianity.

"There must be a book of stupid ideas out there" - again this is just sort of insulting. Whether it is my faith you are insulting or someone else's. I always presume people are sincere in their beliefs and mocking them doesn't seem to me to be a great way to build bridges between people of different faiths. Seems like approaching folks in love and charity is a better strategy.

"I would say that you might not be saved." - Judge much? Judging behaviors is one thing, but I think I'll leave the judgement of one's soul to God alone.

Hopefully I've cleared up some misunderstandings you have about the Catholic Faith. And maybe you'll consider the way you put forth your own beliefs if what you are trying to do is evangelize and win souls for the Lord.

Blessings,

Dave

Upvote 0

Bradley Harris

Writer...Editor...Speaker
Jul 21, 2009
Memphis, Tennessee
✟7,646.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Had a Baptist pastor stop by the apartment today. I guess he was making the rounds. He started questioning me on how I was saved, and made a big deal about me becoming Lutheran. He then asked if I wanted to listen to their radio station and I politely declined and then he proceeded to tell me that we will all stand in front of God on judgement day. He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).

To me it sounded like he was trying to get me to leave the Lutheran church without actually coming right out and saying it.

So are Baptists like Catholics in that they feel they are the one true religion and all must become Baptist to be saved?

One of the reasons that I truly love being a Lutheran is that I have yet to hear any Lutheran claim that Lutheranism is the one true religion and anyone else will not be saved.

*Note I am not trying to get anyone to leave the Baptist faith or denounce the Baptist faith. I Am just curious if this is a regular thing?
At one Southern Baptist church my wife and I attended for a couple of years, we heard these things...

One...Said the senior pastor, Baptists are saved, but not others.

Two...Said the senior pastor, a married couple cannot be admitted to church membership if they bear different surnames, proof of marriage notwithstanding.

Three...Said a subordinate pastor, if the senior pastor knew we were not Republicans but Democrats, he would likely refuse us membership.

The logical extension of these three statements is, among married couples, only Republicans with identical surnames can be saved.

Such a view, almost everyone here would agree, is poppycock. Mind you, that senior pastor, along with his PhD, went on to take a job as VP of an important Baptist seminary. Most Baptists I've known have made much more sense (though they've all held lower-ranking titles).

It would be silly, of course, to attach to this comical clutch of beliefs the line "Baptists believe..." To know what "Baptists believe," one would have to ask all of them. In my entirely sinful head, it's way too easy to subsume wide arrays of belief-sets under phrasings like "Catholics say..." and "Lutherans believe..." I'm safer if I say the likes of "Some Lutherans I've known say they believe..."

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I currently go to a baptist church.
I will say this. No.

true religion, according to the Bible, is not whether you are baptist, lutheran, catholic or whatever. True religion is looking after the fatherless, widows. See James 1:27

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 10, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you've been born of God your new name is "Baptist" inwardly! The word Baptist didn't come because John was baptizing but, because Jesus spoke of this new name in Mathew 11:11. It was prophesied by Isaiah 62:2.. The new name of his people is indeed baptist! The name above the church house is just a name, if the gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified is being preached, then church name doesn't matter. The reason many churches except this name is because they have an understanding of what the word Baptist really means.

Upvote 0
First off, let me tell you that I am surprised that this forum doesn't have "Reformed" as a denomination to register with in the drop-down menu. I had to register without specifying a denomination. It is as if we, the Reformed, didn't exist. And apparently, even the word "Reformed" is so unknown to everyone, that I was able to register with it as my username!

Second, responding to the original poster, I don't know anybody that has joined a denomination believing it to be the wrong one: everybody who joins a denomination believes his denomination to be the right one. Whether one believes it to be the "only" right one or not, depends on two factors: 1) whether he or she believes that there is only one way to God or many ways, and 2) whether the differences in doctrine are essential or not.

Third, we all know people from all denominations and paths of life, who believe the KJV to be the only true Word of God: this is in no way exclusive of the Baptists. I happen to like the NASB and the ESV, which, by the way, are almost identical word by word. However, we have to recognize as well, that the differences between the main accepted translations such as NIV and NKJV are not significant enough to condemn any one of them. I could use any of them without much objection.

Fourth, just as with many other denominations, Lutheranism is not as homogeneous and monolithic as some people believe it to be, as there are many varieties, some of which will go along with the Original Poster's sentiments, and some not.

We, in the United Reformed Church of North America (URCNA), believe that the true church has three marks: 1) the pure doctrine of the gospel is preached therein, 2) it maintains the pure administration of the sacraments as instituted by Christ, and 3) church discipline is exercised in the punishing of sin. Details of this doctrine can be found in the Belgic Confession of Faith, Article 29. Churches that agree with us in this characterization of the true church (and in almost every other point of doctrine) include the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church in America, the Reformed Presbyterian Church, the Reformed Church in the United States, the Canadian Reformed Church, and some others.

Since we don't have the mind of God, we don't know exactly who is saved and who is not, but belonging to a church that does not fulfill the requirements of the three marks of the "true church" does raise suspicions or, at the very least, questions. That is not to say that everybody who belongs to such churches is saved, either, because in every church of every denomination there are true believers and those who are not, those who deceive themselves and others; but we don't have a way of telling, so we go by their outward confession and conduct, and don’t try to weed them out, until God himself does so at the Last Day.

For those who cringe at the word "denomination," there is nothing evil or unholy about it: it is basically as the brand name of a car, a fridge or a box of crackers: it merely tells us what we are dealing with immediately, without having to ask many questions or spend a week studying the details of their beliefs. Those that are strongly against it probably have something to hide and don't want others to find out what they really believe. They want to sell you something without full disclosure, like selling you a car without telling you its faults and defects.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nope, because I explained to him how I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and then how I was baptized by immersion. I was clear on that.

He just seemed to have an issue with me being Lutheran because he even asked how long I have been Lutheran.

Maybe he thinks Lutheran doctrine is unbiblical.

He should have been more specific in his questions.

Also, all of this moot if both parties (ie, you and him) aren't very educated in Lutheran doctrine and it's implications, and how it differs from other doctrine, such as Baptist doctrine.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Had a Baptist pastor stop by the apartment today. I guess he was making the rounds. He started questioning me on how I was saved, and made a big deal about me becoming Lutheran. He then asked if I wanted to listen to their radio station and I politely declined and then he proceeded to tell me that we will all stand in front of God on judgement day. He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).

To me it sounded like he was trying to get me to leave the Lutheran church without actually coming right out and saying it.

One of the reasons that I truly love being a Lutheran is that I have yet to hear any Lutheran claim that Lutheranism is the one true religion and anyone else will not be saved.

*Note I am not trying to get anyone to leave the Baptist faith or denounce the Baptist faith. I Am just curious if this is a regular thing?

No, in fact (not to defend them) not all Catholics feel that way. There are some in every different denomination who feel that way. But let's not forget that the church does not have differences or denominations...that is a condition of fallen humanity, best left behind with the dead "old man", when one is born again of the spirit of God. In other words, there is indeed, only one true "church". "Religion" is another matter entirely.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How long has he been a pastor? I think you will find some pastors when they first start out have more zeal than knowledge. I know my pastor mention how rough some of his first sermons were. He said he was like a bull in a china shop.
Remember that Jesus even had to rebuke his disciples when someone didn't follow them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.