Do Baptists Believe They Are The Only True Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Had a Baptist pastor stop by the apartment today. I guess he was making the rounds. He started questioning me on how I was saved, and made a big deal about me becoming Lutheran. He then asked if I wanted to listen to their radio station and I politely declined and then he proceeded to tell me that we will all stand in front of God on judgement day. He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).

To me it sounded like he was trying to get me to leave the Lutheran church without actually coming right out and saying it.

So are Baptists like Catholics in that they feel they are the one true religion and all must become Baptist to be saved?

One of the reasons that I truly love being a Lutheran is that I have yet to hear any Lutheran claim that Lutheranism is the one true religion and anyone else will not be saved.

*Note I am not trying to get anyone to leave the Baptist faith or denounce the Baptist faith. I Am just curious if this is a regular thing?

Reactions: paulinemc

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Had a Baptist pastor stop by the apartment today. I guess he was making the rounds. He started questioning me on how I was saved, and made a big deal about me becoming Lutheran. He then asked if I wanted to listen to their radio station and I politely declined and then he proceeded to tell me that we will all stand in front of God on judgement day. He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).

To me it sounded like he was trying to get me to leave the Lutheran church without actually coming right out and saying it.

So are Baptists like Catholics in that they feel they are the one true religion and all must become Baptist to be saved?

One of the reasons that I truly love being a Lutheran is that I have yet to hear any Lutheran claim that Lutheranism is the one true religion and anyone else will not be saved.

*Note I am not trying to get anyone to leave the Baptist faith or denounce the Baptist faith. I Am just curious if this is a regular thing?

The answer is "No," but that doesn't mean that the representatives of almost any denomination can't and don't think that they have the most accurate understanding of doctrine. Otherwise, why would they belong to that church rather than some other? The churches that say they are the "only true" church are going a step beyond that.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Jesus said you must be born again. It sounds like the Baptist wanted to make sure you know that you are in fact born again and saved..... It sounds like you were not explaining to the Baptist how you know you are saved and he got frustrated because you were being resistant to him while he was concerned about whether or not you are absolutely sure you are going to heaven if you die today and concerned that you are sure you are not going to Hell.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said you must be born again. It sounds like the Baptist wanted to make sure you know that you are in fact born again and saved..... It sounds like you were not explaining to the Baptist how you know you are saved and he got frustrated because you were being resistant to him while he was concerned about whether or not you are absolutely sure you are going to heaven if you die today and concerned that you are sure you are not going to Hell. Sometimes Christians don't do a good job of explaining how they know they are saved. I know a lot of Christians who can't explain how they know they are saved, and I try to help them with that.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The answer is "No," but that doesn't mean that the representatives of almost any denomination can't and don't think that they have the most accurate understanding of doctrine. Otherwise, why would they belong to that church rather than some other? The churches that say they are the "only true" church are going a step beyond that.

Nope, because I explained to him how I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and then how I was baptized by immersion. I was clear on that.

He just seemed to have an issue with me being Lutheran because he even asked how long I have been Lutheran.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

I had that thought as well Albion, but he just seemed, I don't know, like he really wanted me to convert.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nope, because I explained to him how I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and then how I was baptized by immersion. I was clear on that.
Just a minute. I responded to your question about Baptists thinking, or not, that theirs is a "one true church" kind of denomination. I wasn't commenting on your conversation with that pastor. Perhaps you are thinking of SaintJoeNow's reply??

But sure, he might have thought--for some reason we can't be sure of--that you were a candidate for conversion. There is much that differentiates Baptists from Lutherans beside baptism by immersion and a personal conversion experience, you know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Just a minute. I responded to your question about Baptists thinking, or not, that theirs is a "one true church" kind of denomination. I wasn't commenting on your conversation with that pastor. Perhaps you are thinking of SaintJoeNow's reply??

But sure, he might have thought--for some reason we can't be sure of--that you were a candidate for conversion. There is much that differentiates Baptists from Lutherans beside baptism by immersion and a personal conversion experience, you know.

I was replying to what you were saying, which I thought included my conversation with that particular pastor.

Oh, I know there is much that differentiates.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

He just seemed to have an issue with me being Lutheran because he even asked how long I have been Lutheran.

Well apparently you have an issue with him being a Baptist. Maybe you need to forgive the guy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I had that thought as well Albion, but he just seemed, I don't know, like he really wanted me to convert.
I think you need to forgive the guy and stop making an issue trying to make him look bad for being a Baptist. You come to the Baptist forum as a Lutheran and try to make Baptists look bad. Why do you do that? It sounds like you have an issue against Baptists and you are trying to make them look bad.

Reactions: linasmuch
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Well apparently you have an issue with him being a Baptist. Maybe you need to forgive the guy

Where do you get that idea from?

I have no problem with any other denomination. I was only asking what Baptists believe.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I think you need to forgive the guy and stop making an issue trying to make him look bad for being a Baptist. You come to the Baptist forum as a Lutheran and try to make Baptists look bad. Why do you do that

I am not trying to make anyone look bad. You are putting words in my mouth and lying about my intentions.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Joe, I have nothing against Baptists. It's just not my cup of tea. I was curious as to what Baptists believe about their denomination and was in no way trying to make anyone look bad.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with Baptists. If you don't why don't you call up that pastor who went out of his way to reach out to you, instead of coming in here trying to trash him?.

Reactions: linasmuch
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Sounds to me like you have a problem with Baptists. If you don't why don't you call up that pastor who went out of his way to reach out to you, instead of coming in here trying to trash him?.

How many more times do I have to say that I do not have a problem with Baptists. Now I kindly ask you to stop lying.

I also didn't trash him. I asked some questions because I am curious. I didn't come down on him. So I will ask you to stop lying about that as well.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Joe, I have nothing against Baptists. It's just not my cup of tea. I was curious as to what Baptists believe about their denomination and was in no way trying to make anyone look bad.

If Baptists is not your cup of tea, then you obviously are here with prejudice against Baptists.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
If Baptists is not your cup of tea, then you obviously are here with prejudice against Baptists.

Yet another lie.

I do not have a prejudice against Baptists. I just do not want to be a Baptist as Baptist Theology doesn't line up with my beliefs as well as the Lutheran theology does.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yet another lie.

I do not have a prejudice against Baptists. I just do not want to be a Baptist as Baptist Theology doesn't line up with my beliefs as well as the Lutheran theology does.

It still sounds to me like you have some bitterness against Baptists. You sure did try to trash that Baptist pastor, and you sure seem to talk like you know enough about Baptists so your questions are rhetorical and you are trying to make statements against Baptists.

So you reject Baptist theology because you prefer Lutheran theology...fine. Thank you for clarifying your OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
so you just want to push your Lutheran theology on Baptists?

Where did I do that? All I said is that Lutheran theology lines up better with my beliefs. I have not pushed Lutheran theology as you have claimed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.