Do Baptists Believe They Are The Only True Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie7

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2004
✟111,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is one true following and that is believing that Jesus is LORD and has come to save us from our sins. When we start talking about denominations, that is where people take their eyes off of Christ, and bring in division.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why? Because they teach out of the only accurate English translation we have--the King James Bible.

I can't agree with that conclusion, even if it were the best translation when produced (which I don't concede) The English language has moved too far for even good translations into 1600's English to have the same value and convey the same meanings today. The English language changes too fast, never mind the cultural connotations.

The Word of God alone is perfect.

One might accept that as a theological abstract and concept but faced with the history of the bible and its variant texts and translations, I don't see how this can be maintained, except by a leap of faith jumping over the issues of text and translation (and cultural assumptions). The deeper I studied the more I found this unavoidable. From Genesis to Revelation.

Sorry, this is moving away from Baptist views on exclusivity.
I'll say no more on this here. It would need a different thread.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Had a Baptist pastor stop by the apartment today. I guess he was making the rounds. He started questioning me on how I was saved, and made a big deal about me becoming Lutheran. He then asked if I wanted to listen to their radio station and I politely declined and then he proceeded to tell me that we will all stand in front of God on judgement day. He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).

To me it sounded like he was trying to get me to leave the Lutheran church without actually coming right out and saying it.

So are Baptists like Catholics in that they feel they are the one true religion and all must become Baptist to be saved?

One of the reasons that I truly love being a Lutheran is that I have yet to hear any Lutheran claim that Lutheranism is the one true religion and anyone else will not be saved.

*Note I am not trying to get anyone to leave the Baptist faith or denounce the Baptist faith. I Am just curious if this is a regular thing?
We all believe, to one degree or another, that God came to reveal something of profound and critical importance to man-and that a correct understanding and adherence to that revelation-to the truths revealed-is of utmost importance for us. And so, based on their understanding of those truths, of the Chritian faith, many Christians have believed, and continue to believe, that most Catholics aren't even saved, or that they're saved in spite of a church that teaches wrongly. So much for Catholic exclusivism. But the main point is that it's right and good to know the truth and preserve it correctly, intact. And that's exactly what we believe God established His church to do.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well after looking in his bible and reading for myself as he lead me through prophecy of Israel and Islam and much more it wasn't long before I realized Jesus was the son of the most high God who died for my sin and rose again on the third day, ascended into heaven until God sends him back and how he sent us the Holy Ghost to comfort us, give spiritual gifts and lead us into all truth.

That's the key right there, reading the Bible and letting God speak to you through His words. Without having to learn Greek or Hebrew, getting the 'accurate' Word of God seems unlikely. I've compared various versions to the KJV and found the study ESV to be the best for me.

7101 wrote " We are not protestants..."
Now that's almost news to me. I have read (I thought it historical only) that there was a line of belief which declared baptists to have a continuous existence back to the time of the first Christians. I did not know it was still held by some, rather than the Baptists having arisen out of Holland and England at the time of the reformation, very much from the protestant side of that great argument and division.

The start of the Baptists in America came about because there were not enough pastors to meet the need. The Baptists did not require formal theological education and could turn around more preachers than the Presbyterians.

Man, Quest, I agree. The Christian forum idea is a good one, but Dudes, we've got to remember - same team! Baptist, Pentecostal, Lutheran, etc... The foundation is still Christ. Check out 1 Corinthians 1:12-15 (or so). Is Christ divided? Heck no... Everybody think we can go back to adopting the label of "Christian" before branding ourselves (and most often overshadowing the foundation) with "Baptist," etc...? Just my personal vendetta...

Each denomination has its quirks and uniqueness which their names usually point that out. I have longed to see all them kiss and make up, but there's little chance of getting everyone to agree on everything. Man made traditions and individual beliefs drive a wedge between those who believe in Christ.

I am a direct descendant of the Calvinist Scots (where Presbyterians have their origin) that started by John Knox that were forced to move to Northern Ireland (which eventually left in droves to the British colonies in America). That's not to say my ancestors over the years didn't identify with other denominations. In researching my family there were Lutherans, Methodists and Congregationalists. It goes to show that we tend to fall into a group of people that are 'like-minded'.

First of all, it's not about "religion" it's about "relationship" with Elohim. And secondly, Yeshua [jesus] Himself said that He came only for the lost sheep of Israel. Thirdly, only if you are grafted into Israel, are you in covenant with Elohim through Yeshua, as there is no other Way, except through being grafted in to Israel, through Yeshua who is the Divine Bridegroom of Israel. Now, with that said, who is grafted in then? Those who keep the commandments of YHVH Elohim and were given at Mt. Sinai. Yeshua said that not one jot nor tittle of YAH's Word would be done away with. So why is it that the enemy has succeeded so well in changing the 4th commandment and trying to make everyone think that YHVH's commanded feasts were only for the "jews" and then replaced them with the pagan feasts of christ-mass, ishtar [easter], and the other ones? The commanded feasts of YHVH are for Israel. The jews are but one tribe out of 12. And in YAH's Kingdom where Yeshua is our King, there are only 12 gates, no gentile gates.

I'm curious about this. If I am understanding correctly you are stating salvation is a product of the flesh, or of the spirit? Israel was entrusted with God's commandments to be an example how we will continually fail to keep them. The flesh had corrupted the law, and proved incomplete. Jesus who was born under the law fulfilled the law. This new covenant was given to the Jew first and later the Gentiles. God opens our hearts and we accept the work of Jesus by faith. The law leads us the cross and Christ works on us to through the Spirit to maintain the law. That is Sanctification.

Upvote 0

pmmobley

Momma Goat
Jan 10, 2012
Sikeston, MO - USA
✟15,130.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Close! Oh so close....

"Unless you are born of water and the spirit....." - Jesus
"Do you not know that as many of you as have been baptized in Christ have put on Christ?" -Paul
”...what are we do to?" -Jewish hearers to Peter ..... Be baptized for the remission of your sins." -Peter in response
"Go and it will be told to you what you must do" -Jesus to Paul, "Arise and be baptized, washing away your sins." - Annanias to Paul

If you are making a case for being baptized after salvation as the obedient thing to do, I agree. However, if you are making a case for salvation or forgiveness of sin being DEPENDANT upon being baptized, I say you are either mistaken or you making Christ a liar:

Luke 23 "42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise."

If baptism is REQUIRED for salvation, then Christ' finished work on the cross was not enough.
If baptism is REQUIRED for salvation, then Christ lied to the thief because the thief was NOT baptised before he died.
Baptism is an act of obedience, a public statement, and a reference point in the life of a believer, but it is NOT a requirement for salvation. Our salvation is a COMPLETE gift from God, not something that comes with 'some assembly required' stamped on the box!

(I even used the KJV for you die hard believers that the KJV is the ONLY correct version, but I cross referenced in SEVERAL more modern versions and they all read nearly the same... and I attend a Sourthern Baptist church!)

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2011
✟18,431.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
He left when I mentioned that I do not read from the King James Bible (He had a look of disgust at that point).?
I will have you know that one of today's generation's most assiduous, capable, and scholarly advocates for the Authorized Version (King James Bible) primarily because of its underlying text, Theodore Letis, sadly killed in a motor accident (We miss him sorely), was a Lutheran. There are Lutherans and Lutherans, same as there are Baptists and Baptists (I am an Abrahamic Covenant Baptist, believing that the antitype of the eighth day is the point in time at which saving faith is professed).

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2013
✟7,627.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am a Southern Baptist, like any denomination, there are splits. Lutherans have 3-4 that I can think of, within the Baptist there are number in the Baptists, and one which no other Baptist likes to admit too. This 7th is called Independant Fundamentalis Baptist, or IBF. It's not an organized denomination as say Converge, the SBC, or American Baptist. I grew up in one from 12-18, so I'm familiar with their thinking. They hold on that the King James Bible is the only true God breathed version, and point out how the NIV, NASB, HCSB, NLT, and my favorite the ESV "have cut or changed verses" and don't understand anything about the Textus Receptus and the earlier manuscripts these Bibles are translated from. They believe that their church is the true church preaching the Gospel, and that all others are sending people to hell. In truth, many Christians would argue that IFBs are cult like in their beliefs and thinks.

Reactions: Omah1970
Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I too received an email containing a link to this thread, and I find the thread to be very interesting on a number of levels, the least of which is that I can identify very much with the OP.

I was raised in the Episcopal Church, and after college I went the non-denominational route. For almost 15 years, we enjoyed several non-denominational churches and ultimately settled into an Evangelical Free Church. Just over 10 years ago, we moved to the deep South where there are no Evangelical Free Churches, so on invitation from a new neighbor, we started attending an Independent Baptist Church which was staunch KJV-only). It was an amazing experience with a loving congregation, but unfortunately after moving into a new, larger building, egos in church leadership erupted, and the church became very corrupt. We decided to leave after attending another local church. Since then we have attended several churches of several denominations including Southern Baptist, Pentecostal, non-denominational, Methodist, and Catholic. In all cases except for one, over time we felt isolated, separated, and not deeply welcomed by the various churches. That one exception was the local Catholic Church. Yes, we were always graciously welcomed on a surface level, but we simply could not make any deep connections.

Is it possible that the "problem" lies in us and not the various churches? Sure, I'll certainly consider that. After all, WE are the ones dissatisfied with the churches. But consider that there is a consistent trend that we see in so many local churches that really bothers us: An overarching attitude of division and divisiveness. (Obviously, this is only on observation of several local churches, so I won't generalize to the specific denominations.) The attitude is that if there is disagreement or disharmony within a church, the answer is not to come together as a body, address the problem, and reconcile, but instead to pack up your things and go start up another church, often taking with you those who also can't or won't reconcile.

The number of churches that have split or have been established due to splitting from another church is staggering. I don't have any real numbers, but it seems like in the past decade we've seen probably a score of new churches spring up, mostly from people leaving other churches. And further, we do see a LOT of people joining churches, but in the majority of cases, they are not joining as new Christians, but simply moving their membership from one church to another. It seems that the new churches are not starting up to fill a need due to new Christians, but to accommodate a large shuffle game of members dissatisfied with their current church.

Above, I said "with one exception...the local Catholic Church."

I recently joined the Catholic Church after attending an RCIA class led by two Franciscan priests. I took the class not to become a Catholic, but to learn about what the Catholic Church teaches. After almost a year of study, discussion, and prayer, I decided to join the Church because the Catholic Church echoed a lot of what I believe as a Christian, and that is what led me to the decision of join.

Now astute readers will notice my username and signature, and I'm fully expecting many negative responses to this where some may claim that my joining the Catholic Church and being a Freemason is hypocritical. I respect those opinions, and if you want to discuss it further, I'd be happy to in another thread. But suffice it to say, my decision to join the Catholic Church was greatly influenced by my (York Rite) Masonic involvement. The symbolism, the history, the ritual, the teaching of the Catholic Church, all mesh with my personal Christian beliefs. And the morality lessons learned as a Freemason are very much reinforced by much of Catholic doctrine. Yes, there are a couple points with which I "agree to disagree" but they do not detract from either my Catholic or Masonic membership. And quite frankly, without my Masonic background (to which I was introduced by a Baptist) I can honestly say that the Catholic Church would not mean as much to me as it does.

In retrospect, at every church we have attended, both my wife and I always had an internal "leading", prompting us where to go or when to leave. We attribute it to God leading us to where he wants us to be, therefore it is very easy for us to see that every step of our Christian journey has been very God-led. While emotion certainly played a part in some cases, we always ended up where we needed to be at that time. And now, we are at home and are greatly fulfilled at the Catholic Church, and my relationship with Jesus Christ has never been stronger.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for the replies.

Since there are now many from overnight lady night I am not going to reply to everyone with single replies. I am going to lump my answers into one reply.

I know that I am saved, there is no question there. So that was not an issue.

I read from the Esv Lutheran Study Bible and the NKJV of the Bible. Mostly from the Esv Lutheran Study Bible as I am new to being Lutheran. I do not read from the KJV because frankly it's to distracting for me because of it's archaic language. I didn't do well with Shakespeare either.

The Lutheran church that my little family and I attend is NALC (North American Lutheran Church). I feel that God has us going to this church for several reasons and one of those reasons is that we have breathed some fresh air into the church. When we started going we were the youngest married couple going. Since then a couple more started attending.

I have found the church where I belong and where God wants my little family and I to be.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for the replies.

Since there are now many from overnight lady night I am not going to reply to everyone with single replies. I am going to lump my answers into one reply.

I know that I am saved, there is no question there. So that was not an issue.

I read from the Esv Lutheran Study Bible and the NKJV of the Bible. Mostly from the Esv Lutheran Study Bible as I am new to being Lutheran. I do not read from the KJV because frankly it's to distracting for me because of it's archaic language. I didn't do well with Shakespeare either.

The Lutheran church that my little family and I attend is NALC (North American Lutheran Church). I feel that God has us going to this church for several reasons and one of those reasons is that we have breathed some fresh air into the church. When we started going we were the youngest married couple going. Since then a couple more started attending.

I have found the church where I belong and where God wants my little family and I to be.
Don't feel like you have to justify your beliefs. Your Christian walk is ultimately between you and God. Only time and experience allows you to better express that relationship. And sometimes, others simply may not agree with your explanation. Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Don't feel like you have to justify your beliefs. Your Christian walk is ultimately between you and God. Only time and experience allows you to better express that relationship. And sometimes, others simply may not agree with your explanation. Peace.

Thank you! I to have for a while now been contemplating becoming a Mason. I have talked with another Mason in these forums after I asked if there was a Lutheran equivalent to the Knights of Columbus. There isn't but he recommended the Masons.

I just haven't persued as of yet because my life is already jam packed and I don't have much time to spare. Some day I will though.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible that the "problem" lies in us and not the various churches? Sure, I'll certainly consider that. After all, WE are the ones dissatisfied with the churches. But consider that there is a consistent trend that we see in so many local churches that really bothers us: An overarching attitude of division and divisiveness. (Obviously, this is only on observation of several local churches, so I won't generalize to the specific denominations.) The attitude is that if there is disagreement or disharmony within a church, the answer is not to come together as a body, address the problem, and reconcile, but instead to pack up your things and go start up another church, often taking with you those who also can't or won't reconcile.

You make an excellent point here. We moved around a lot because of work and finding a church to fit into can be very stressful. There were times where I felt like I didn't even want to take my family to church. It got to a point where we considered just having church at home with some extended family members. What I've found that does work for us are the much smaller churches, with an average of say 50 people. For us the larger churches tend to have more divisions within it.

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you mean by "religion"? There is a difference between a religion and a relationship with Christ.

I attend an independent fundamental Baptist church myself. Why? Because they teach out of the only accurate English translation we have--the King James Bible.

Lutheranism is Catholicism Lite, and Catholicism is counterfeit Christianity. Christianity is NOT a religion, but rather a relationship with Christ. Religion is rites and rituals. Christianity is receiving the gift of eternal life. HUGE difference!

I think you just answered the original question. Lol Have you ever read the early church fathers? It was interesting to see how the people worshipped that were around when Jesus was?

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I will have you know that one of today's generation's most assiduous, capable, and scholarly advocates for the Authorized Version (King James Bible) primarily because of its underlying text, Theodore Letis, sadly killed in a motor accident (We miss him sorely), was a Lutheran. There are Lutherans and Lutherans, same as there are Baptists and Baptists (I am an Abrahamic Covenant Baptist, believing that the antitype of the eighth day is the point in time at which saving faith is professed).

Yes, some within in denominations will advocate for a certain Bible, many for the King James because that is what they grew up. It doesn't mean that the KJV is the right Bible for another person. I have problems reading the King James Bible because it is very distracting with the archaic language.

As I mentioned in another reply, I didn't do well with Shakespeare either.

I have chosen the ESV (which is more literal then the KJV believe it or not), the NKJV and the NIV as my Bibles of choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 6, 2011
✟18,431.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Boidae, do you really believe in consubstantiation? I agree that Jesus's body was above, under, and marginally in the bread when he was breaking it, and his blood under and round, and possibly, even, above the wine when he had taken the cup, but when the disciples were actually eating and drinking, where were they then? Surely Anne Askew's "Then what was it that St Stephen saw in heaven?" is just as applicable to consubstantiation as it is to transubstantiation!

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I to have for a while now been contemplating becoming a Mason. I have talked with another Mason in these forums after I asked if there was a Lutheran equivalent to the Knights of Columbus. There isn't but he recommended the Masons.

I just haven't persued as of yet because my life is already jam packed and I don't have much time to spare. Some day I will though.

Obviously, I'm biased since I am a Freemason. I've had very lengthy discussions about this elsewhere on this forum, so I won't go into it here. But my recommendation is simply to search your heart, do some due diligence by researching and learning, and pray, pray, pray. Then make the decision. Some denominations are publicly against Freemasonry and some embrace it. Simply put, a Christian must assess if Freemasonry poses any threat to his or her walk with Jesus Christ. For me, it is not. Freemasonry very specifically prompted be to more deeply explore my faith, so it actually strengthened my Christian walk. I will qualify all this by saying that I focus on "York Rite" Freemasonry which is decidedly Judeo-Christian in teaching. There are other branches of Freemasonry that teach exploration into other religions and philosophies, and they do not necessarily align with my personal beliefs. But it's very similar to the diversity in Christian denominations.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Boidae, do you really believe in consubstantiation? I agree that Jesus's body was above, under, and marginally in the bread when he was breaking it, and his blood under and round, and possibly, even, above the wine when he had taken the cup, but when the disciples were actually eating and drinking, where were they then? Surely Anne Askew's "Then what was it that St Stephen saw in heaven?" is just as applicable to consubstantiation as it is to transubstantiation!

I am not entirely sure what I believe in regards to consubstantiation, but thankfully I do not need to agree with it in order to be Lutheran.

I am going to stay Lutheran as it is the closest to my own beliefs overall.

Upvote 0

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The issue of consubstantiation or transubstantiation is obviously complex, often very divisive, and has been for centuries, and there will likely never be a consensus throughout Christianity. But that said, I think a question one can ask is, "Is God capable of carrying out the act of consubstantiation or transubstantiation?" To say "no" challenges God's abilities (though there may be Biblical reasons that might explain why He would or would not) while saying "yes", simply affirms God's supernatural capabilities. The answer to that question, of course, absolutely does NOT prove or disprove consubstantiation or transubstantiation, it merely prompts the person to try to better understand who and what God really is. We so often write off the supernatural because it "doesn't make sense" without considering the awesome capabilities in God.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The issue of consubstantiation or transubstantiation is obviously complex, often very divisive, and has been for centuries, and there will likely never be a consensus throughout Christianity. But that said, I think a question one can ask is, "Is God capable of carrying out the act of consubstantiation or transubstantiation?" To say "no" challenges God's abilities (though there may be Biblical reasons that might explain why He would or would not) while saying "yes", simply affirms God's supernatural capabilities. The answer to that question, of course, absolutely does NOT prove or disprove consubstantiation or transubstantiation, it merely prompts the person to try to better understand who and what God really is. We so often write off the supernatural because it "doesn't make sense" without considering the awesome capabilities in God.

I haven't written it off, I am just unsure as to what I believe regarding it.

With God anything is indeed possible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.