Derive a sense of timing from the structure of Revelation

R

Revlog

Hello Lamad. Sorry that I'm very late in replying to you, but things have been (and continue to be) busy for me.

First, I'll say that your view is consistent, and I can't say with certainly that you are wrong or that I am right. However, I still prefer my own view (which I also think is consistent) and I still have difficulty with some aspects of yours:
[Re: The seal events]
I believe we are between the 5th and 6th seal, waiting on the rapture as the first event of the 6th seal. Seals 1 -4 were broken as soon as Jesus ascended into heaven...so around 32 AD.

No, the first seal is RIGHTEOUS. John used the color white 17 times in Revelation to represent righteousness; he did not change in this one instance. The first seal is to represent the CHURCH sent out to make disciples of all nations.

Your view:
IMO, you are fighting against the structure of the book as laid out by John in Rev 1:19 - “Therefore write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after these things."

The "things which are" correspond with the seven messages to the churches in chapters 2 and 3, which is the church age. Then, chapter 4 clearly marks the end of "the things which are" and the beginning of "the things which will take place after these things", Rev 4:1 "After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven, and the first voice which I had heard, like the sound of a trumpet speaking with me, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after these things.”. I take it that "after these things" must be the "end of the church age".

I don't see how God would say to John that the "things which take place after these things" include something (~32 AD) that happened long before John even received this vision.

My view:
The first seal rider is depicted on the white horse, armed, bearing a crown, and with intent to conquer. He is depicted this way because he is a counterfeit christ. The true Christ shall also come (later; chapter 19) on a white horse, armed, bearing a crown, and with intent to conquer.

However, there are important differences. The false christ is lightly armed (a bow) compared to Christ (sword, eyes of fire, a rod of iron to shatter nations). Also, the crown worn by the 1st seal rider is a wreath-style "victor's crown", and we shall see his victories in Rev 11:7 and Rev 13:7. The crown worn by Christ is a diadem crown indicating absolute authority (confirmed by his title, king of kings).
[Re: sixth seal]
The sixth seal describes the SIGNS for the Day. Those people crying for the rocks to fall on them KNEW the prophecies of Joel 2 and Isaiah 2, so they KNEW the Day of the Lord was imminent.

They want to hide because they have just seen the signs and they KNOW the Day of the Lord is imminent. It should be obvious they all were NOT killed by falling rocks! This is not the END. It is not real stars that fall to the earth. It is angelic beings or it is a meteor shower. The earthquake will be bad, no doubt, and worldwide. But it will not be as bad as the earthquake at the 7th vial.
Your view:
Here, I have trouble accepting that the unbelieving world is going to be fleeing to the mountains because know about these Biblical prophecies, or because they know that the Day of the Lord is beginning.

My view:
I think the unbelieving world will remain ignorant about the prophecies. They will not be expecting prophecies to be fulfilled. This is why Christ's return, to them, is likened to the coming of a thief. This is why the Day of the Lord is likened to the days of Noah (sudden and shocking). This is why Paul says they will be saying "peace and safety" moments before destruction comes.

The sixth seal says the people will be fleeing from the presence [lit. the "face"] of the one on the throne and the Lamb. They are fleeing because they are seeing something. This is Isaiah 2 being fulfilled -- they are seeing the glory of His majesty (Isa 2:21).

[Re: trumpets]
God has great mercy, and begins with trumpet judgments that are held back: only 1/3 when compared to the associated vial judgment. His wrath seems PROGRESSIVE; as men continue to refuse to repent, the judgment gets worse.

A wise bible college professor said once, if we wish to keep our doctrine straight, we should FORM our doctrine on the most complete treatise found on a subject, then fill in missing pieces from minor scriptures on that subject. For end times, that most complete treatise is the book of Revelation. There are 9 chapters on the 70th week of Daniel.

He went on to say that when possible we should form our doctrine on LATER revelations versus earlier revelations, since God is a self-revealing God and over time keeps revealing MORE. Again, Revelation is where we must form our end times doctrine, and fill in missing pieces from the Old Testament scriptures. Daniel might be an exception.
Your view:
I agree that God has great mercy, which is why the trumpets are limited and why they progressively get worse.

I also agree (generally) with your wise professor in that Revelation should be the primary text regarding the end times.

My view:
That the trumpets are full of mercy tells me that they are not yet the time of God's wrath. Rather, they are a time of warning. During the time of the trumpets, I believe that the gospel is still be spread by the 144,000 Jews, by the testimony of martyred Christians, and the two witnesses in Jerusalem. These saints should not be on the earth when God's wrath begins, but it has always been God's nature to give warning after warning before delivering His wrath. The trumpets are the final "warning shots".

As for your professor, I would only add that while Revelation provides the greatest contextual information about the end times, I don't think it's intended to be understandable to anyone who hasn't already read what the prophets (including Christ) said about the end times. On the other hand, one should certainly read Revelation before adopting any particular eschatological stance such as pre-trib, post-trib, pre-mil, post-mil, etc.
[Re: Clarification of the 6th seal]
I don't follow you on your 6th seal comment. There are no armies to be seen at the 6th seal.....unless you are trying to rearrange the book!
I disagree, although it might not be obvious unless you make the connection:

Sixth seal: Rev 6:18 - Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains

Armies of nations destroyed in battle of Armageddon: Rev 19:17-19 - “Come, assemble for the great supper of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders and the flesh of mighty men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, both free men and slaves, and small and great.” And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.
[Re: Comparison of earthquakes]
The earthquake will be bad, no doubt, and worldwide. But it will not be as bad as the earthquake at the 7th vial.

This last earthquake makes the mountains DISAPPEAR!
Your view:
I have problems with the two-earthquake view. The prophets describe one such quake. A hugely powerful earthquake (e.g. the 9.0 in Japan) might move one island a few inches or feet yet cause utter devastation in that region. However, an earthquake powerful enough to cause all mountains and all islands to be moved from their places will be an incomprehensible disaster. From such a quake, there would be no short term recovery whereby the nations continue to function for a few more years.

My view:
I believe there can only be one such quake, and it must occur right at the end, in conjuction with Christ's visible return in wrath, which is just as the prophets described it. The two accounts of this one quake tell us that the the islands and mountains will be moved from their places, all the cities will fall, and by the time it's over, the mountains and islands will have all been destroyed.
[Re: The two witnesses]
Not "somewhere!" The man of sin will show up in Jerusalem 3 1/2 days before the abomination. Then the two witnesses show up BECAUSE the man of sin showed up. It makes good sense: how could he walk into the temple if he is not even in Jerusalem? Rev. 11:1-2 shows his arrival. Verse 3 shows the two witnesses show up moments later. They will testify for 1260 days, which will take them to 3 1/2 days before the 7th vial ends the week. They will lie dead for 3 1/2 days, then be raised at the 7th vial when ALL the Old Testament saints will raise.
I think it's close to my view, although I don't see the 3 1/2 days referring to a time before the abomination. I think the abomination will initiate an attack on Israel, with many Jews being captured or killed. However, some will flee to the mountains to the east as Christ (and Zechariah) instructed them, and they will receive protection during the 1290 days that follow.

During this time, two specific Jews will emerge as Israel's leaders and representatives in Jerusalem for 1260 days. They too will be devinely protected by God. However, 3 1/2 days before their 1260 days of service are finished, God will allow them to be killed, and remain dead for the 3 1/2 days.

They will be resurrected at the conclusion of the 1260 days. I think this event will also be a visible sign of the dead being raised in general, to be shortly followed by the rapture, in accordance with 1 Thes 4:15-17.

At that point, there will no longer be any saints upon the earth. This will be the right moment for the wrath of God to strike the earth. That's exactly what the bowls are (Rev 15:1, 15:7, 16:1).
[The meaning of the seven-sealed scroll of chapter 5]
You are right on the IMMENSE importance of the scroll: it is the title deed or lease document of planet earth, between Adam and God. Satan usurped that 6000 year lease. AT the 7th trumpet, that 6000 years are ENDED. That is why the kingdoms are transferred to Jesus and why Michael can go after Satan to take him DOWN. The lease he usurped is ENDED. The truth is, if no one had been found worthy to break the seals, Satan would remain god of this world forever. THANK GOD Jesus was found worthy! When the seals are broken and the scroll unrolled, THEN, and only then, can the events INSIDE come to pass: the trumpets and the vials and finally Jesus return to earth.

I'm trying to decide if we agree or not, but I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

There is one great promise that remains unfulfilled, and that is the promise that the kingdom of God would reign on earth. The prophets spoke about it. Jesus spoke about it. He said His kingdom is not of this world, but that it would come. He taught his disciples to pray for it: "thy kingdom come, thy will be one on earth as it is in heaven". In his last conversation with his disciples before his ascension (Acts 1) he told them that the kingdom would come only at a time known to the father. Until then, Satan will have his (usurped and temporary) kingdom on the earth.

What do we see in chapter 5?
- We see the Father initiating an event by producing this scroll and handing it to the Lamb.
- We see the Lamb introduced as the root of David and lion of Judah, which emphasize his right to inherit David's earthly throne.
- We see the Lamb praised as worthy to receive the scroll because he purchased men with his own blood to become a kingdom.
- We see that this means he is worthy to receive power, honor and glory -- which are the same things the Father receives as king in heaven (chapter 4).
- We see John weep for a moment, indicating that John knew what the scroll represented (and so should we).

Could it not be more plain that this scroll must represent the fulfillment of this promised coming kingdom? John was weeping because it appeared that this great promise might not happen, which means that unrighteousness will reign forever, and there is no victory, and no ultimate justice.

When John was weeping, I don't think he was thinking in terms of a title need or lease document. He was thinking of the kingdom.

Upvote 0
L

lecoop

Hello Lamad. Sorry that I'm very late in replying to you, but things have been (and continue to be) busy for me.

First, I'll say that your view is consistent, and I can't say with certainly that you are wrong or that I am right. However, I still prefer my own view (which I also think is consistent) and I still have difficulty with some aspects of yours:

Your view:
IMO, you are fighting against the structure of the book as laid out by John in Rev 1:19 - “Therefore write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after these things."

The "things which are" correspond with the seven messages to the churches in chapters 2 and 3, which is the church age. Then, chapter 4 clearly marks the end of "the things which are" and the beginning of "the things which will take place after these things", Rev 4:1 "After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven, and the first voice which I had heard, like the sound of a trumpet speaking with me, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after these things.”. I take it that "after these things" must be the "end of the church age".

I don't see how God would say to John that the "things which take place after these things" include something (~32 AD) that happened long before John even received this vision.

Basically Jesus told John to write things past (things you have seen), present and future, and God did not give any order to that. Please note that Jesus did NOT tell John to write ONLY FUTURE events.

I know that many people see "after these things" to mean "after the church age." That is simply adding to scripture, and sloppy exegesis. John used this phrase or a similar one several times as an intro' to a new part of the vision - a transitional phrase to transition to a new thought. It would be a little like we would use a semi-colon.

When I could not answer the questions Jesus gave me on chapter 4, after struggling for days and bugging Him for days, He finally said, "Go and study chapter 12." That seemed silly to me! I wanted answers to His three questions on chapter 4:
Why was I not immediately seen at the right hand of the Father?
Why was "no man found" in the first search that John watched?
Why was the Holy Spirit still in the throne room?

When I got to chapter 12, He gave me a synopsis and I heard these words:

"this chapter was Me introducing John to the dragon, and in particular what the Dragon would be doing during the last half of the week. Count how many times the Dragon is mentioned, including pronouns."

So I counted, if I remember right, 32 times. Then He added, "I also chose to show John what the Dragon did when I was born. Those first five verses were a 'history lesson' to John."

Notice that this information would have been history to John, as he was the youngest of the disciples and younger that Jesus. Again I know that many people want to see the future in the first five verses. All I can say is, I HEARD the head of the church, Jesus Christ, TELL ME that those first five verses were about HIS BIRTH and how Satan had tried to kill Him as a child.

We did not spend much time in chapter 12. After I had "history lesson" in my mind, He said, "now you can go back to chapters 4 & 5. The difference was amazing! I had struggled for weeks trying to answer His three questions, but could not even answer one of them. But after visiting chapter 12 and getting "history lesson" into my mind, suddenly I could answer all three questions!

Therefore, I certainly disagree that the beginning of chapter 4 ENDs anything or that it is the beginning of a different time. However, the whole of chapter 4 & 5 when taken as a whole tell us the exact timing! You see, when John first looked into the throne room Jesus was NOT THERE, not at the right hand of the Father and not even in the throne room at all, or even in heaven - because John was seeing the throne room of the past, while Jesus was still on the earth, or perhaps UNDER the earth. After John saw the search end in failure he wept much. Why? I think he somehow knew the great importance of breaking those seals. He wept much. that simple verse shows us the passing of time. You see, the first words God spoke to me about this part of the vision, after I had bugged Him about when we needed to know about John weeping, was "It shows timing." I tried to find timing for weeks, continually bugging Him that I could not see timing. Then finally He said, "it also shows the movement of time." So I spend days trying to see any MOVEMENT of time, but I could not. Looking back, I was VERY SLOW. Just John weeping much shows the movement of time! Well, after he wept much, SOMETHING changed! Suddenely someone had been found worthy! John turned (being in the throne room himself) and saw Jesus the moment He ascended and the very moment the Holy Spirit was sent down. This pinpoints the time to the time of the ascension: about 32 AD.

I could not find 2000 years anywhere there before He got the scroll from the hand of the Father and begain breaking the seals. The very context of the first seal demands the timing as the timing of the ascension. about 32 AD.

The church does not use convention weapons to conquer, because our weapons are not physical weapons of flesh and blood, but are spiritual weapons that are mighty to the overthrow of demonic strongholds. You KNOW how the devil tried to stop PAUL over and over and over, but was simply not able, because Paul's weapons were mightier. So the gospel spread from Asia to Europe and from there to the uttermost parts of the world.

If you cannot believe this, just look up all John's other uses of the color white, and ask yourself WHY he would use white for anything else but righteousness.

I don't see any problem with God using John to write some history along with future events. The 5th seal is for the martyrs of the church age. That started with Stephen and the others Paul put to death. Certain that was not "after the church age." In fact, the very answer given to those church age martyrs gives us a strong hint of a very long wait for those martyrs: they would have to wait for the very last martyr to be killed as they were - as church age martyrs. Since the 6th seal is still future, this pinpoints where we are NOW....waiting on the rapture and then the 6th seal.

My view:
The first seal rider is depicted on the white horse, armed, bearing a crown, and with intent to conquer. He is depicted this way because he is a counterfeit christ. The true Christ shall also come (later; chapter 19) on a white horse, armed, bearing a crown, and with intent to conquer.

However, there are important differences. The false christ is lightly armed (a bow) compared to Christ (sword, eyes of fire, a rod of iron to shatter nations). Also, the crown worn by the 1st seal rider is a wreath-style "victor's crown", and we shall see his victories in Rev 11:7 and Rev 13:7. The crown worn by Christ is a diadem crown indicating absolute authority (confirmed by his title, king of kings).

You should ask yourself, did any false Christ ride out when Jesus ascended? I think that view is about 2000 years off! Next, it is only pure imagination, for there is simply no word - not even one - that would hint that this horse and rider were evil...and more, I know neither God nor John would EVER use the color white to depict evil! Did you overlook that He colored the dragon as fiery red? Please note, the antichrist, when he comes, would LOVE to paint himself white, but here GOD is doing the coloring, and he got colored RED.

I am not saying this is Christ, I am saying it is the CHURCH of Christ sent out as soon as Jesus said the moment before He was seen ascending...."go and make disciples of all nations." This white horse and rider are to depict the church sent out. OF COURSE there must be overcoming and conquering for Satan is the god of this world.

Your view:
Here, I have trouble accepting that the unbelieving world is going to be fleeing to the mountains because know about these Biblical prophecies, or because they know that the Day of the Lord is beginning.

Did Jesus say the "unbelieving world?" No, He said those living in Judea. And I think we could add ONLY those living in Judea at the time that KNOW of Jesus command to flee when they see the abomination. That will be all who will flee. I know at least one writer here things Christians will flee to safe places: the problem? THERE WON'T BE ANY! ONLY those that flee from Judea will receive supernatural protection: the rest will be OVERCOME.

My view:
I think the unbelieving world will remain ignorant about the prophecies. They will not be expecting prophecies to be fulfilled. This is why Christ's return, to them, is likened to the coming of a thief. This is why the Day of the Lord is likened to the days of Noah (sudden and shocking). This is why Paul says they will be saying "peace and safety" moments before destruction comes.
I agree.

LAMAD to be continued

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

lecoop

LAMAD continued:

The sixth seal says the people will be fleeing from the presence [lit. the "face"] of the one on the throne and the Lamb. They are fleeing because they are seeing something. This is Isaiah 2 being fulfilled -- they are seeing the glory of His majesty (Isa 2:21).

Did they REALLY see His face? Or are they just imagining it, after seeing the signs of the Day of the Lord and knowing that that Day has arrived? It is very possible they DID see Jesus at the rapture just before this, as I am convinced it comes just before the 6th seal or the first event of the 6th seal. I think it is more plausible that they know the SIGNS for the day and have just SEEN the signs, so know that the Day is imminent.

Your view:
I agree that God has great mercy, which is why the trumpets are limited and why they progressively get worse.

I also agree (generally) with your wise professor in that Revelation should be the primary text regarding the end times.

My view:
That the trumpets are full of mercy tells me that they are not yet the time of God's wrath. Rather, they are a time of warning. During the time of the trumpets, I believe that the gospel is still be spread by the 144,000 Jews, by the testimony of martyred Christians, and the two witnesses in Jerusalem. These saints should not be on the earth when God's wrath begins, but it has always been God's nature to give warning after warning before delivering His wrath. The trumpets are the final "warning shots".

First, if you believe Joel 1 is the truth of God's word, you pretty much have to believe that the trumpets start the Day of the Lord and that Day is a day of wrath. Is it difficult to believe that His wrath builds as few repent? The very first trumpet is the start of the destruction of the planet....what God said He would do at the Day of the Lord: destroy the world and the sinners in the world. Do you really believe that killing 1/3 of the planet's population is not a part of God's wrath?

Next, there is not one word that even hints that the 144,000 spread the gospel. I know people believe this, and they use the great crowd no one could number as proof, not understanding they are the raptured bride, just raptured in the previous chapter. John did not see the rapture, but saw the bride in heaven. Don't get me wrong, it is POSSIBLE they will....it is probably they will, but the Word of God does not tell us they will.

They will be around for the first half of the week, and the two witnesses for the second half, So God will always have witnesses.

As for your professor, I would only add that while Revelation provides the greatest contextual information about the end times, I don't think it's intended to be understandable to anyone who hasn't already read what the prophets (including Christ) said about the end times. On the other hand, one should certainly read Revelation before adopting any particular eschatological stance such as pre-trib, post-trib, pre-mil, post-mil, etc.

I disagree, although it might not be obvious unless you make the connection:

Sixth seal: Rev 6:18 - Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains

Armies of nations destroyed in battle of Armageddon: Rev 19:17-19 - “Come, assemble for the great supper of God, so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders and the flesh of mighty men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, both free men and slaves, and small and great.” And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.

Your view:
I have problems with the two-earthquake view. The prophets describe one such quake. A hugely powerful earthquake (e.g. the 9.0 in Japan) might move one island a few inches or feet yet cause utter devastation in that region. However, an earthquake powerful enough to cause all mountains and all islands to be moved from their places will be an incomprehensible disaster. From such a quake, there would be no short term recovery whereby the nations continue to function for a few more years.

My view:
I believe there can only be one such quake, and it must occur right at the end, in conjuction with Christ's visible return in wrath, which is just as the prophets described it. The two accounts of this one quake tell us that the the islands and mountains will be moved from their places, all the cities will fall, and by the time it's over, the mountains and islands will have all been destroyed.

I think it's close to my view, although I don't see the 3 1/2 days referring to a time before the abomination. I think the abomination will initiate an attack on Israel, with many Jews being captured or killed. However, some will flee to the mountains to the east as Christ (and Zechariah) instructed them, and they will receive protection during the 1290 days that follow.

During this time, two specific Jews will emerge as Israel's leaders and representatives in Jerusalem for 1260 days. They too will be devinely protected by God. However, 3 1/2 days before their 1260 days of service are finished, God will allow them to be killed, and remain dead for the 3 1/2 days.

They will be resurrected at the conclusion of the 1260 days. I think this event will also be a visible sign of the dead being raised in general, to be shortly followed by the rapture, in accordance with 1 Thes 4:15-17.

At that point, there will no longer be any saints upon the earth. This will be the right moment for the wrath of God to strike the earth. That's exactly what the bowls are (Rev 15:1, 15:7, 16:1).

I'm trying to decide if we agree or not, but I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

There is one great promise that remains unfulfilled, and that is the promise that the kingdom of God would reign on earth. The prophets spoke about it. Jesus spoke about it. He said His kingdom is not of this world, but that it would come. He taught his disciples to pray for it: "thy kingdom come, thy will be one on earth as it is in heaven". In his last conversation with his disciples before his ascension (Acts 1) he told them that the kingdom would come only at a time known to the father. Until then, Satan will have his (usurped and temporary) kingdom on the earth.

- We see the Father initiating an event by producing this scroll and handing it to the Lamb.
- We see the Lamb introduced as the root of David and lion of Judah, which emphasize his right to inherit David's earthly throne.
- We see the Lamb praised as worthy to receive the scroll because he purchased men with his own blood to become a kingdom.
- We see that this means he is worthy to receive power, honor and glory -- which are the same things the Father receives as king in heaven (chapter 4).
- We see John weep for a moment, indicating that John knew what the scroll represented (and so should we).

Could it not be more plain that this scroll must represent the fulfillment of this promised coming kingdom? John was weeping because it appeared that this great promise might not happen, which means that unrighteousness will reign forever, and there is no victory, and no ultimate justice.

When John was weeping, I don't think he was thinking in terms of a title need or lease document. He was thinking of the kingdom.

Stop and think: the earthquake in Japan DID move every mountain, because it changed the earth's axis of rotation by a small amount. However, I think there will be two great earthquakes because John tells us there will be: the first one MOVES the mountains (even if just a tiny bit) and the last one makes all mountains disappear. the first will be Paul's "sudden destruction" caused by the dead in Christ rising, and the second will be caused by the Old Testament saints resurrection. I think you CAN believe in two, else you must not believe John.

I cannot associate the 6th seal with the 7th vial, because I know they are two separate events. Remember, God's word says that the Day will be to destroy the world and the sinners in the world. OF COURSE the world will be devistated by this earthquake, but my guess is, a nuclear exchange will soon follow. The earth will never be the same once this begins.

LAMAD

Upvote 0
L

lecoop

One problem: Satan is the god of this world. He got this position by usurping Adam's position.

God will NEVER do something illegal. When Satan is disposed, it will be done legally. God will not just come and take it away from him by force. Jesus and Satan will certainly not co-rule! Satan will be disposed at the 7th trumpet, of that we know, for it is written. But WHY and HOW? These are questions to be answered.

LAMAD

Upvote 0