charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I've been busy since the first of the year so I haven't posted much. I've made 2 doilies, 2 sweaters, a scarf, a baby blanket and am currently working on the last of 3 wedding afghans. With warmer weather coming I will be working more thread than yarn. I promised a friend I would make Christmas decorations for her daughter. She would like them done by Thnaksgiving so the girl and her new husband will have them for their first tree. I'm planning to do snowflakes and icicles (so she can have a "white" Christmas even in New Mexico), angels (to bring glad tidings) and picture frame hearts (with photos of family members provided by her sis and mom so they will have family with them for Christmas).

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've been busy since the first of the year so I haven't posted much. I've made 2 doilies, 2 sweaters, a scarf, a baby blanket and am currently working on the last of 3 wedding afghans. With warmer weather coming I will be working more thread than yarn. I promised a friend I would make Christmas decorations for her daughter. She would like them done by Thnaksgiving so the girl and her new husband will have them for their first tree. I'm planning to do snowflakes and icicles (so she can have a "white" Christmas even in New Mexico), angels (to bring glad tidings) and picture frame hearts (with photos of family members provided by her sis and mom so they will have family with them for Christmas).

Your crochet sounds wonderful. Can you share some pictures please?

Blessings

Ley

Upvote 0

Vimi

Vessel
May 3, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟19,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi y'all I'm a newbie too :wave:

I've been croteching since I was about 6 years old. My dear mother taught all of us girls how to crotchet and knit so that we'd have "something to do" which translates to stay out of her face :D. (I'm not 37 but between 26-35 yrs old;)) I didn't find the knitting fun so I stuck with crocheting. She even taught us how to use different sized hooks, patterns, and how to "chain up" 2's, 3's, 4's, double loops etc. I've made blankets, scarfs, mittens, hats, leg warmers, clothing for toys (when I was younger).

But I have one problem that I never corrected and that is to get straight edges on every side. This is the case when doing blankets, scarfs, anything with the 4 sided pattern.

I always end up doing popcorn balls, tassels, or shells along those edges. I've bought books to help but I can't seem to manage it. I started working on something new but I don't know what it will end up being yet. I'll post pics by as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi, faithgirl37. Are you having problems with rectangular shaped things or 4 sided things worked in the round like granny squares? Is it the chains at the turn that are making a little loop on the edge? Or is it possible you are working the first stitch of the row into the first stitch instead of skipping the first one and then not working the last stitch into the turning chain? I can relate to wavy edges. But there are so many beautiful edging possibilities out there. Half-double crochet gives me fits. Do I count the turning chain as a stitch or not? Sometimes patterns don't say.

I have been crocheting for years and recently learned to do a chainless double crochet turn instead of a chain 3 at the beginning of a new row. It's a little thicker, but looks more like a double crochet than a chain 3. It keeps the edge smoother without that little loop that I usually get with a chain turn.

At the end of a row, turn and pull up a loop about the same height as a double crochet. Keep one finger on the loop so it does not turn or slip on the hook. Twist/wrap/yo the loop around the hook and insert the hook where the first stitch needs to be. Yarn over and complete the way you would a regular double crochet, keeping in mind that the yarnover of the stitch has two strands instead of one. If this is clear as mud, search YouTube for a video. If you do this when working in the round, when you finish the round and join, chain one and pull up that loop for the stitch. It makes the "seam" almost invisible. This technique works for half-double crochet too. Good luck with your edges.

Upvote 0

Skatergurl

Dec 23, 2010
✟15,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I should really get back into it. I used to love making all kinds of things.
I made a monkey a couple times. :) One was a gift for a friend.
Here's a picture of one.

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just thought I would touch base with everyone again :wave:

Not surprisingly, I now have the blanket to still finish plus the cardigan :D I'm now using the fact that I have a 9 month old as to why I've not picked up my crocheting for nearly a year now. :)

I wanted to bump this thread to see what you guys have been up to.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You have a good reason....I don't :sorry:

I 'thought' about starting a project back in the Fall, but the ideas never came and the enthusiasm flew out the window.

I did so much in my younger years...many afghans and sweaters I still have, and people don't appreciate hand made gifts like they 'used' to :angel:

Enjoy that baby! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You have a good reason....I don't :sorry:

I 'thought' about starting a project back in the Fall, but the ideas never came and the enthusiasm flew out the window.

I did so much in my younger years...many afghans and sweaters I still have, and people don't appreciate hand made gifts like they 'used' to :angel:

Enjoy that baby! :thumbsup:

I am so sorry you feel that people don't appreciate hand-made, home-made gifts the way they used to. We love hand-made gifts. I still have cards made for me by my grandaughter. In fact I prefer hand-made anything.

Please don't feel disheartened. Why not ask if people would like a hand-made gift? Sometimes it can help if they can choose what you make - there is a limit I know, but don't give up. :)

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have a good reason....I don't

Enjoy that baby!
Awww thank you! :wave: MC is truly a blessing and I'm enjoying every minute with him. I'll have to be looking for work when he turns one so each day is precious.

In terms of crocheting, I can see where you're coming from. :hug: It also appears here that knitting seems to be bigger than crocheting. Whenever I go to stores like Dunelm Mills they cater for lots and lots of knitting patterns but hardly any for crocheting. I have to come online for those.

My sister mentioned the other day that the hand made lacey cotton afghans are making a come back in her trendy homestyle magazines. She said they were selling for 198 pounds ($313). :swoon: But as Leyton says it might be a good idea to get people to choose what they might like. :)

Little one is sounding rather indignant that I am typing with two hands which means that he has just a couple more minutes in the playpen until I can post this message. ^_^

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
^_^ reading your post brings back memories...though we had no internet back then ;)

I loved to do 'IRISH CROCHET'...it had the same stitch look as the knits, but was faster and a lot of fun :)

I have made afghans from scraps of projects....it is a neat pattern.....sc 10, chain 10....then BRAID THE CHAINS (just looping them through one another) when the afghan is done.

The colors overlap and it is a cool effect...as well as a 'memory blanket'.

My grown kids can still look at it and recall a color to a certain sweater, etc.

I also used to make my holiday decorations (knit/crochet)....pumpkins, Easter basket with ducks and eggs, snowmen, when my kids were tiny etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Woman's Weekly magazine has a free crochet pattern for a bag in this weeks issue which is on sale now if anyone is interested. :)

Does anyone go to www.ravelry.com ? You can get free crochet patterns there too :)
Cheers! :thumbsup: Just bookmarked the website :)

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
^_^ reading your post brings back memories...though we had no internet back then ;)

I loved to do 'IRISH CROCHET'...it had the same stitch look as the knits, but was faster and a lot of fun :)

I have made afghans from scraps of projects....it is a neat pattern.....sc 10, chain 10....then BRAID THE CHAINS (just looping them through one another) when the afghan is done.

The colors overlap and it is a cool effect...as well as a 'memory blanket'.

My grown kids can still look at it and recall a color to a certain sweater, etc.

I also used to make my holiday decorations (knit/crochet)....pumpkins, Easter basket with ducks and eggs, snowmen, when my kids were tiny etc
:thumbsup:

I'd like to have a go at an afghan for my next project. I've been learning how to do 'granny squares' when I get the occasional moments. I predict that MC's voice will have broken by the time I complete it though. ^_^

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
*Drum Rolls*

I've finally finished my blanket - after nearly 5 years! :clap:^_^ It looks so tiny!

STA70651-1.jpg

This is the overall picture of the blanket

STA70653-1.jpg

This is the flip-side of the blanket

STA70655-1.jpg

This is what the edge looks like.

I ended up waiting until MC was asleep and then spent the last couple of nights finishing the edge.

So now I'm going to finish off a cardigan I was making while I was pregnant. I have to just make the arms and put it all together.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How lovely. You have inspired me to get back to my knitting. I am doing a little jacket for our youngest grandaughter in moss stitch. I will keep you posted. :)
Cheers Leyton :) .

I meant to say the last time that I've joined Ravelry and uploaded this little project there too! ^_^ They might help me out in terms of ordering some more wool. Having trouble getting crochet cotton offline and I have the local markets as a last resort before resorting to online purchases.

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Cheers Leyton :) .

I meant to say the last time that I've joined Ravelry and uploaded this little project there too! ^_^ They might help me out in terms of ordering some more wool. Having trouble getting crochet cotton offline and I have the local markets as a last resort before resorting to online purchases.

Have you tried Hobbycraft? I don't know where you are in the UK but you might find somewhere near you advertised in a magazine such as Inside Crochet. What about Ebay or Amazon?

Upvote 0