leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So does anyone crochet doilies? Or is everyone into afghans?

I would love to be able to crochet doilies. I am only a beginner. I am trying to crochet a little blanket for the doll's crib my husband plans on making for our little grandaughters birthday.

Do you crochet your doilies in cotton thread of wool?

Blessings

Ley

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would love to be able to crochet doilies. I am only a beginner. I am trying to crochet a little blanket for the doll's crib my husband plans on making for our little grandaughters birthday.

Do you crochet your doilies in cotton thread of wool?

Blessings

Ley

I use the size 10 cotton. I have also used size 20 and 30 but those threads are harder to find. My mom had given me tons of thread that some older lady had given her. The problem is that some of it is soooo old that it is kind of stained or there isn't enough to use for a project.

My very first crochet project was a baby blanket. I crocheted it when I was in high school and I gave it to my first black haired baby (which ended up being my third child!) (I was a black haired baby..also the third in my family...the logic behind it) or maybe just too much needless info!! :p

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do lots of doilies. I esp love the Crinoline Ladies. I have been working on and off to make a set to display throughout the year - rotating them in a shadow box a friend gave me.

I'm not sure if I know what Crinoline Ladies is. I basically do exclusively doilies--definitely my favorite. I put an album up in my profile if you want to see some of my work.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if I know what Crinoline Ladies is. I basically do exclusively doilies--definitely my favorite. I put an album up in my profile if you want to see some of my work.

You can see some lovely Crinoline Ladies (or girls as this designer call them) here>>>http://www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/dollmenu.php<<<<

I have ordered from the site and Cylinda is a joy to deal with.

Do you like vintage doilies? I have done a bunch that I found at the Celtwich site. It recently moved to Yahoo and you have to join the group, but Celt has lots of old patterns that she shares for free (after researching to make sure they are no longer under copywrite).

I also plan to try a painted doily - you use sewing thread in different colors or shades, 3 matching strands are worked together, then you substitute one strand at a time for the next color group so you get a nice fade from one color to another.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been on a vintage website and have gotten several doilies off there. One was made with butterflies around the outside--it was quite a project that it will probably be one of a kind.
I also do the Irish Rose one--have made quite a few of those. I had tried a tulip one but you really needed the smallest thread and I didn't have it so they didn't turn out.
I have also thought about crocheting with cross stitch thread (is that the same that you are talking about) I thought that would be interesting plus the amount of colors that you could find for that would be amazing. I will have to look at those sites.
Oh, I also make a lot of snowflakes--I give them as gifts. Also have found some pretty cool cross patterns for bookmarks or ornaments.
I'm also one of those people that have to vamp it the way I want it to be...I don't always stick straight to the pattern. (My mother's influence on me! :) )

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Went on the sites and yes I do know what you are talking about now for the girls--I have seen them just didn't think that they were something I would necessarily want to do.
I also looked for the celtwich and found a site that said that it was taken off b/c so many people were stealing her patterns and selling them on ebay. But she did have a place to look at the site from before--that is where I had gone before and gotten the patterns for my Irish Rose, butterflies, and tulips. I think there might be several others as well. I'm glad that lady had it up.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Here's the link to the Celtwich Yahoo group>>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celtsvintagecrochet/<<<

She is putting up the patterns in pdf files for members only. And she is still finding people selling her stuff - some even using her recharted designs or the photos of her work that she used on the old site if the printed photo didn't show up nice. The group is free and you have access to all the patterns. And if you get stuck on something you can ask questions on the message board.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
thanks I will check that out. I love those old patterns--but it would be irritating if people are selling them.
I do remember looking at a magazine my mom had oh, maybe a year ago, and in the back they were selling some pamphlet (or whatever they are called) and part of the patterns were the ones that I had seen on her site. I remember saying--hey that is the pattern....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I've started on a sweater for my daughter. It is from the March '09 Crochet! mag and is called peekaboo lace. I'm making it in a silvery gray that DD picked out. It is pretty simple so far (I'm up to the bust shaping on the front) and has a nice shape to it. Perfect for my body to kill for teen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You'll have to put a picture up when you are done. I finished three doilies (two are gifts) and the third one was so cool looking--an old pattern that you read just the diagram (I had never made one like that before). Am finishing my fourth and then have to make another one for a gift to send to China!

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't say that I ever got rope burn--even though I do crochet tight. My mom crochets very loosely--I can't seem to do it...I like the uniform look of the tight stitch (is that just me?). I have knitted (not my favorite), done the plastic canvas, cross stitch, and love pencil drawings of animals (also love to draw flowers, trees, old barns)!
Just finished my grape galore doily--now to starch and send it off to China!

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love to crochet! I'm in the middle of a prayer shawl for a friend battling cervical cancer. I must say....it's been a cross to bear. It's emotionally draining to think about her struggles with every stitch.

I need to finish a baby blanket for my hair stylist. She's been doing my hair for close to 10 years and she's having her second daughter. It's a star shaped blanket...I love those!

I'm also wrapping up a blanket for my friend. She's turning 33 this Friday and she loves brown and blue. Her entire condo is done in that color theme and it's the first home she's owned. I want her to always remember it.

I always have other projects floating around too. I'm working on a spiderman blanket for my son and a blanket for each daughter.

I love making silly things too! I have a pattern to crochet a vagina. Anyone with young girls...it's a great "birds and bees" tool! lol

Upvote 0