charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Angel - the blunt needles are used for weaving in the ends when you finish your work and for sewing pieces together (like granny squares). So yes, you can get started learning to do stitches without them.

If your stuff has shipped it should arrive soon.

Lake Placid area - cool! I was closer to Watertown. Now I'm in TN.

Upvote 0

angel_wings13

Jan 19, 2010
Upstate New York
✟15,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I recieved my yarn and hook in the mail yesterday. I thought it would be easy to teach myself by using instructions and watching youtube videos, but it is not. I think I'm going to have to either get a book or travel to a class.

I'm finding lots of good information online, but it is all geared to right handed people so I'm having trouble trying to imagine it into left-handed directions.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Well I recieved my yarn and hook in the mail yesterday. I thought it would be easy to teach myself by using instructions and watching youtube videos, but it is not. I think I'm going to have to either get a book or travel to a class.

I'm finding lots of good information online, but it is all geared to right handed people so I'm having trouble trying to imagine it into left-handed directions.

If it is any help, the friend I am learning with is a lefty too and she is learning to crochet right handed and doing very well at it!

Because she has never crocheted before, she is finding it fine to be learning the right handed way. :)

Blessings

Ley

Last edited:
Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Angel, I have found this link online which shows you how to crochet left handed. The main screen shows you how to make a chain and if you scroll down you can click on other links to see how to do other stitches left handed. The only problem with crocheting left handed is that you will need to reverse patterns. This is why my friend decided to learn to crochet right handed and she is doing fine - in fact she is ahead of me!!

How to crochet a left handed crochet chain | Video « Wonder How To

Blessings

Ley :)

Upvote 0

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It has been a long time since I checked in here. It sounds like everyone has been busy. Leytonstones & Angelwing13, how goes the learning process?

I've been busy trying to use up my stash. I have a lot of leftovers from projects over the past 20-some years. I've been making a lot of small projects and some larger ones. I have a scrap round ripple afghan in progress that is rapidly growing too big to be portable. I'm making a lot of small, instant gratification projects lately. Many will be gifts at Christmastime. Hats, gloves, cowls, dishcloths, scrubbies, fingerless gloves, etc. I get most of my patterns from Ravelry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NativeMainer

Sep 25, 2010
Central Maine
✟15,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hope it's ok for a newbie to jump in--I wanted to say that Prayer Shawls are the most wonderful things, I got one when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I feel comforted every time I use it or even see it.

As a child my mother and both grandmothers tried to teach me to knit but I could never catch on. I can crochet just about anything, though, and love it. Has anyone done any fillet crochet? I can't wait to check out the sites that have been mentioned here, thanks to all for sharing.

Reactions: leytonstones
Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Hope it's ok for a newbie to jump in--I wanted to say that Prayer Shawls are the most wonderful things, I got one when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I feel comforted every time I use it or even see it.

As a child my mother and both grandmothers tried to teach me to knit but I could never catch on. I can crochet just about anything, though, and love it. Has anyone done any fillet crochet? I can't wait to check out the sites that have been mentioned here, thanks to all for sharing.

Hi NM
Fillet seems to be my big thing at the moment - I'm on my 7th fillet table runner for Christmas (all different!)

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am knitting at the moment. I can't wait to get started on some crochet but our daughter wanted another baby blanket and she preferred a knitted design. I have made things a little more difficult for myself as the first one was knitted in strips and I am knitting a border with this one as I go along. :wave:

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi everybody! With the cold weather moving in what is everybody working on?

I just started a Terry Kimbrough baby blanket.

To my shame I'm still working on a baby blanket that I started three years ago. ^_^

I go through phases where I'll have a burst of working on it and then I'd put it down for months

Reactions: leytonstones
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone! :wave:

I thought I'd break the news here - I have finally finished the baby blanket after working on it for close to 4 years :swoon:. I just need to sew a satin border onto it, although I may just crochet a nice border pattern around it so that I can completely finish it.

I've been working on it recently more out of necessity because I need to work on a baby bonnet and matching cardigan. I have a habit of abandoning partly finished projects and so was determined that I would see this one through to completion. My family are all predicting that the cardigan will take me about 5 years to finish given the length of time it's taken me to complete the blanket :D

Pictures to follow - not sure what I'm going to do with the blanket now that it's done as it was initially a project of love rather than something being created for someone.

Anyway watch this space.... :)

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone! :wave:

I thought I'd break the news here - I have finally finished the baby blanket after working on it for close to 4 years :swoon:. I just need to sew a satin border onto it, although I may just crochet a nice border pattern around it so that I can completely finish it.

I've been working on it recently more out of necessity because I need to work on a baby bonnet and matching cardigan. I have a habit of abandoning partly finished projects and so was determined that I would see this one through to completion. My family are all predicting that the cardigan will take me about 5 years to finish given the length of time it's taken me to complete the blanket :D

Pictures to follow - not sure what I'm going to do with the blanket now that it's done as it was initially a project of love rather than something being created for someone.

Anyway watch this space.... :)

Congratulations! Well Done! I am getting slightly better at finishing my projects. It helps to have a timeline to aim at.

I am learning to crochet :)

Blessings

Ley

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0