LisaPar

Aug 28, 2016
United Kingdom
✟248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says that the universe is a created thing, in all its beauty, wonder, and vastness, it is still just a created thing.
Just how would the people who wrote the Bible know that? what insight did they have that we do not?
Could it be that they just made it all up?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that's called 'giving in', it's lucky for us everyone didn't say that or we would all still be living in caves and making sacrifices to a multitude of Gods.

It's called black and white thinking. It makes it easy, and takes any intellectual thought out of the equation.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that's called 'giving in', it's lucky for us everyone didn't say that or we would all still be living in caves and making sacrifices to a multitude of Gods.
You might, consol, but I wouldn't.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,937.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's called black and white thinking. It makes it easy, and takes any intellectual thought out of the equation.
One thing I have become more aware of since frequenting forums for the last decade or so is that, in this context, people fall into two categories.

In the first group are those who are comfortable with uncertainty. Some even relish it, since it holds the promise of novelty, of investigation and discovery.

The second group require very solid foundations and clarity in most aspects of living.

I acknowledge that there is a continuous spectrum stretching from extremes in both groups and that many people will display different aspects at different times and situations in their lives.

I am biased, since I sit firmly in the first group. From that perspective it seems to me that those in the second group, needing certainty, will arrive at conclusions based upon insufficient evidence and will preferentially absorb community standards and stereotypes without due thought. That seems to me a dangerous and wrong approach.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I have become more aware of since frequenting forums for the last decade or so is that, in this context, people fall into two categories.

In the first group are those who are comfortable with uncertainty. Some even relish it, since it holds the promise of novelty, of investigation and discovery.

The second group require very solid foundations and clarity in most aspects of living.

I acknowledge that there is a continuous spectrum stretching from extremes in both groups and that many people will display different aspects at different times and situations in their lives.

I am biased, since I sit firmly in the first group. From that perspective it seems to me that those in the second group, needing certainty, will arrive at conclusions based upon insufficient evidence and will preferentially absorb community standards and stereotypes without due thought. That seems to me a dangerous and wrong approach.

Reactions: Hallstone
Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just how would the people who wrote the Bible know that? what insight did they have that we do not?
Could it be that they just made it all up?
Anyone with an objective mind knows that a complex working structure has to be carefully designed and built and maintained, this is how the universe was created to work, it is this premise that clarifies a persons perception so that they can understand the concept of God and His personal influence on the creation. Intricacy, complexity, beauty, variety, sustainability. All these are concrete aspects of creation, only deception, and denial can block the true logic that can open the eyes of the disbelieving. In other words, the Maker is clearly seen through what has been made. One only needs to go a few more steps and obey Him to complete the journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone with an objective mind knows that a complex working structure has to be carefully designed and built and maintained, this is how the universe was created to work, it is this premise that clarifies a persons perception so that they can understand the concept of God and His personal influence on the creation. Intricacy, complexity, beauty, variety, sustainability. All these are concrete aspects of creation, only deception, and denial can block the true logic that can open the eyes of the disbelieving. In other words, the Maker is clearly seen through what has been made. One only needs to go a few more steps and obey Him to complete the journey.

Only one with a subjective mind assumes a creator for something we have never observed created.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only one with a subjective mind assumes a creator for something we have never observed created.
Mat 12:38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."
Mat 12:39 But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet;
Mat 12:40 for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Only one with a cynical mind would disregard the proof in front of him and demand the sign of his own choice. If God has chosen to create this world and recreate it in such a way as to test mankind then you will be one of those that indeed fail the test, if you do not heed the signs that have already been given.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mat 12:38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."
Mat 12:39 But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet;
Mat 12:40 for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Only one with a cynical mind would disregard the proof in front of him and demand the sign of his own choice. If God has chosen to create this world and recreate it in such a way as to test mankind then you will be one of those that indeed fail the test, if you do not heed the signs that have already been given.

Only a gullible mind believes an unseen sign.

Upvote 0

Hallstone

Jul 20, 2016
Pacific Northwest
✟14,446.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only a gullible mind believes an unseen sign.
Unseen, but not unperceived.
Psa 146:8 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind;
The LORD raises up those who are bowed down;
The LORD loves the righteous

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0