Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟101,023.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Hundreds of thousands of women can still get educated, finish said education, and date or marry or have children or care for ailing relatives all while doing it full time. Many even go on to full time careers while balancing relationships, family, and children. It can be done. Intelligent and determined women find a way. Some cut back to part time; and that's okay. Some finish their education down the road and that's okay. Some enjoy their children if they can and then pursue education; and that's okay. It's not easy, but it can be done. It requires "hard work". I know that is a dirty word to the OP, but sometimes you do have to work hard to reach your goals- careerwise or relationship wise or any other wise.

On the other topic; I've seen the word "confirmed bachelor" used in wholesome children's literature from an earlier century. I do not think it always meant someone was gay.

Also, I think it's quite rude to gang up on people of a different faith. This isn't the christian forum club and I think it's anti-Christ to actually exclude people when they ARE welcome here.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hundreds of thousands of women can still get educated, finish said education, and date or marry or have children or care for ailing relatives all while doing it full time. Many even go on to full time careers while balancing relationships, family, and children. It can be done. Intelligent and determined women find a way.
Yep. I personally wouldn't advise a current student to go ahead and have a child, but if we're speaking after the fact, all hope is not lost.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you guys not have an Atheist Forum that you guys can go to? If you do are there a lot of Christians there telling you that no matter what you say that you are wrong?
Most of the atheist forums I have been too were really boring.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
How many of us are 'confirmed bachelors' and what does that mean exactly.

As already stated, it used to be code for a gay man; Charles Dickens used it that way.

Does it mean...you have a bachelors degree? Cos I have one. lol.
But the funny thing is, some people still get married with one. I have heard of some people just going to university to get their Mrs degree. How it works is this, women are told to go to university but not to study a topic but to scope out the men there, and then, because they are of eligible age (i.e. over 18) and young and attractive looking, the ones that don't have their heads in a book will steal the men and get them to be married.

When they fall pregnant as inevitably happens, they need to give up studying to look after the children and many don't even finish their degree. Some people wait till after, but what happens is...when the woman starts maybe earning more there's going to be arguments as often men don't like it when women are smarter than them. OR what happens is they both have their heads stuck in books, studying and lecturing that they don't have time for procreation and make more books instead.

Do you have any evidence to back up these claims, or is it just hearsay?

Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hmm wouldnt a confirmed bachelor be...a monk?

I know a Catholic Priest who is married. He is at the Catholic Church in Pittsburg Kansas. His name is Bob. I went to college with him.

He became a priest of a denomination that allowed wives. I heard which one but I forget. Then eventually he wanted to become Catholic so they let him in wife and all. There are only about 6 like this in the united states. Its not rare but its not common either.
Now I do not believe you can start out as a Catholic Priest and have a wife.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Wow never knew.
But I have heard, correct me if I, wrong, it could be just a rumour, that there was once a female pope. But nobody knew he was a she.

I have never heard of this. If you find any information on it let me know, it would be interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the atheist forums I have been too were really boring.

They don't really work easily or well as there's little to talk about and we have little in common, just this one point of (non-) theology.
We're more likely to be found at any of a near infinite number of special-interest groups, discussing interesting (to those for whom it is) topics with like minds.
I don't have many: a couple of mutual support groups for medical conditions, and one for model railways. I normally spend more time there (and it can get pretty heated: even here there are heresies, and the equivalent of denominations.)
I used to follow many more groups, but illness has required a major cull.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I reckon its because the atheist forum doesnt exist. Nobody goes there even if they had one it would be so boring arguing about the non existence of God. Thats why they have to join the christian one lol.
It's not that it doesn't exist, it's just that I prefer to surround myself with a healthy mix of opinions. I like to be challenged. It helps me pound out the details of what I believe and practice defending it. Here, there are people from all religions.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Was watching sound of music last night.
It doesnt present a good picture of the abbey life for nuns. I mean imagine not being able to sing or dance and always having to be on time for everything. Im not sure i would make a good nun, and im not even catholic but then, there arent that many wealthy widowers that i know of with seven children needing to be homeschooled either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Was watching sound of music last night.
It doesnt present a good picture of the abbey life for nuns. I mean imagine not being able to sing or dance and always having to be on time for everything.

I'd recommend any or all of the "Nuns Having Fun" calendar series to make a dent in the negative images and stories of nuns.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0