College courses and opinions.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why don't you stay at school and get your school work done before you come home each night? Both my kids like to go to the campus or library to study. I have helped them both find the study rooms and resources at their college and even other colleges nearby that they are allowed to use. One prefers quiet areas...the other studies where she can eat. They can organize their studying in the way they see fit and most productive and don't have distractions like the computers or tv. They both earned 4.0 gpa last semester so I will probably not be overseeing their work as much this semester. The college freshman has shown me he doesn't need any oversight. The high school student who is doing dual credit still needs me to help her organize and keep on track...but even though she gets frustrated at times, she admits she both needs me and wants my help. And in the end, that is the child whom is going to be begging me to help her finish at the last minute when she does procrastinate...something I may or may not have time for and I would have had time if she asked for help in a timely manner.

As for your temper or meltdowns, or whatever else you call them....how are you going to function in a professional environment at a job when you are stressed out if you can't control your temper at home? You need to see a counselor about developing healthier coping techniques.

And if you can't deal with your parents, move out. You are an adult. Get a job and find a friend who needs a roommate to split the bills. Get good grades and apply for scholarships. Figure out how to be independent. Then you will have demonstrated that you are an adult taking care of your own life.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why don't you stay at school and get your school work done before you come home each night? Both my kids like to go to the campus or library to study. I have helped them both find the study rooms and resources at their college and even other colleges nearby that they are allowed to use. One prefers quiet areas...the other studies where she can eat. They can organize their studying in the way they see fit and most productive and don't have distractions like the computers or tv. They both earned 4.0 gpa last semester so I will probably not be overseeing their work as much this semester. The college freshman has shown me he doesn't need any oversight. The high school student who is doing dual credit still needs me to help her organize and keep on track...but even though she gets frustrated at times, she admits she both needs me and wants my help. And in the end, that is the child whom is going to be begging me to help her finish at the last minute when she does procrastinate...something I may or may not have time for and I would have had time if she asked for help in a timely manner.

As for your temper or meltdowns, or whatever else you call them....how are you going to function in a professional environment at a job when you are stressed out if you can't control your temper at home? You need to see a counselor about developing healthier coping techniques.

And if you can't deal with your parents, move out. You are an adult. Get a job and find a friend who needs a roommate to split the bills. Get good grades and apply for scholarships. Figure out how to be independent. Then you will have demonstrated that you are an adult taking care of your own life.

I agree with this advice. I used to procrastinate like crazy but I've gotten way better about it because all it ever did was stress me out so much. It definitely helps to find a place w/out distractions to study. I do most of my hw in the basement because the Wifi is super weak there so you can't really go on YouTube & stuff. It's completely quiet too.

Sam should def. ask for help w the tantrums & stuff. My cousin said her roommate would have these freak out tantrums when she got stressed. It just stressed her out so bad too. So yeah he should try to take care of that now.

Did you quote a post of mine? Cause I got an alert that you did but I don't see it now.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

blackribbon:

Yes, there can be many distractions in college life, right? but it does take a lot of self-discipline to learn to use one's time efficiently. There are so many things that can make things harder for a student: a good shopping mall right next to the college, talk.. talk.. talk in cafes, too much church as a social club, too many commitments to student societies, the tattoo parlor scene, sports: nothing necessarily wrong with any of these but sometimes the essential study time is crowded out and students need very definitely to learn how not to crowd out their main responsibilities.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
blackribbon:

Yes, there can be many distractions in college life, right? but it does take a lot of self-discipline to learn to use one's time efficiently. There are so many things that can make things harder for a student: a good shopping mall right next to the college, talk.. talk.. talk in cafes, too much church as a social club, too many commitments to student societies, the tattoo parlor scene, sports: nothing necessarily wrong with any of these but sometimes the essential study time is crowded out and students need very definitely to learn how not to crowd out their main responsibilities.

Blessings.

When I was in nursing school, I literally had to studied 8 hours on each of the days that I wasn't in clinicals for 8 hours (2 days a week). (My kids learned to grocery shop and cook because I wasn't there to do it. ) Nursing school is hard and we covered thick textbooks in 6 weeks. I learned where I could study efficiently and with whom I could study well with. Learning that you sometimes have to give up fun time to get what your really want (for me a license and a good job which I did get) is one of the most valuable lessons of college. When you learn this, you are on the road to success no matter what your goal is. It isn't always about enjoying the classes. Some classes aren't enjoyable or easy.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Well I did post as well; it still seemed to be a live thread, anyway.

the topic I deleted my post on was done to death and completed...that is why I deleted...the topic of this thread isn't dead...and is common for other young people struggling with becoming adults and going to school

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was in nursing school, I literally had to studied 8 hours on each of the days that I wasn't in clinicals for 8 hours (2 days a week). (My kids learned to grocery shop and cook because I wasn't there to do it. ) Nursing school is hard and we covered thick textbooks in 6 weeks. I learned where I could study efficiently and with whom I could study well with. Learning that you sometimes have to give up fun time to get what your really want (for me a license and a good job which I did get) is one of the most valuable lessons of college. When you learn this, you are on the road to success no matter what your goal is. It isn't always about enjoying the classes. Some classes aren't enjoyable or easy.
blackribbon:

The words of John Wayne come to mind: "A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do." (For man, read also woman...)

Put differently, it's not only inspiration, it's more likely application: applying oneself consistently.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this advice. I used to procrastinate like crazy but I've gotten way better about it because all it ever did was stress me out so much. It definitely helps to find a place w/out distractions to study.
It's soooo easy to procrastinate .... :)

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you know what FERPA is?

I'll give you the quick summary - it's illegal for the school to reveal your information to even your parents without your explicit written consent. You are an adult. They do not own you. They do not control you. You make your own life choices now.

Why are the laws so black and white? Why can't a student give verbal consent to reveal student information? Privacy law is just so illogical sometimes.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So true. I'm in my last semester of nursing school now. That's all I do is study and complete assignments. The rest of the time I'm in clinical for twelve hours (or in class). Nursing school = no life

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why are the laws so black and white? Why can't a student give verbal consent to reveal student information? Privacy law is just so illogical sometimes.
Because people sue at the drop of a hat. If something goes wrong between you and your parents two years from now and you get upset about the school releasing your grades, they need to be able to document your consent.

Upvote 0

TMSigSys

Feb 11, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟135.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
College is really about learning about yourself and learning what you want to do after college. No one can answer that question for you. So what do you want to study? I say go for it. Don't be concerned with others will perceive your course choices. It also is a good idea if you are undecided to take courses in a number of areas to see where you might want to major.

Upvote 0