College courses and opinions.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you start working on your papers early enough so you won't be as stressed out by deadlines?

Even right now, knowing about the deadlines, and seeing piles of papers in my room, and all these microsoft word papers on my computer, I can't even focus on anything. I'm having a mini-meltdown and I can't even focus on reading the history book my mom told me to read. I don't want her to nag me later after she comes home from work about studying it, but I'm having information overload and I feel like crying and screaming.

It's a combination of stress, i dont know where to start, information overload, distractions, anger, etc. I wanted to email my english teacher a question, but I'm so stressed out I literally can't do it, even though I want to.

Never in my life have I uttered so much profanity as when I get angry and stressed out like this.

It usually happens very occasionally with me, and even then, it's more mild, but these past few days, and even the past few months with the studying, i have repeatadly uttered the worst profanity you can imagine and the screaming can't be good for my heart. I don't remember if I did that in high school, but the stress and yelling is identical.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Even right now, knowing about the deadlines, and seeing piles of papers in my room, and all these microsoft word papers on my computer, I can't even focus on anything.
Have you acted on our advice to seek professional help? It should be offered free and confidentially through your college. There's only so much we can tell you.
Hmmm... not sure how to answer that perfectly. Would the world end if your child spent four years studying at a college to get an education? If they play their cards right they can graduate with skills (writing, communicating verbally, being able to read well, etc...) that can transfer to jobs. Don't be all that quick to write off certain majors;)
Some people don't seem to realize that connections are just as important. Of course the liberal arts major who sits in his room playing video games instead of doing extracurriculars/internships/campus jobs/leadership roles etc. is likely going to struggle to find a job after graduation. There's no doubt that they learn marketable skills. It's just that some students don't figure out how to sell it.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What are you implying?
Exactly what it sounds like. This is obviously an on-going problem, going by this thread and what you've said about your high school years. You haven't found a solution, and it doesn't seem like your parents are solving the problem, either. It's reasonable that you turned to the Internet for informal advice, but I don't know that any of us are licensed, and we certainly don't know enough to actually help you. Part of being an adult is seeking out the resources that you need. Colleges tend to offer counseling on a silver platter as part of your tuition, so go see someone.

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Exactly what it sounds like. This is obviously an on-going problem, going by this thread and what you've said about your high school years. You haven't found a solution, and it doesn't seem like your parents are solving the problem, either. It's reasonable that you turned to the Internet for informal advice, but I don't know that any of us are licensed, and we certainly don't know enough to actually help you. Part of being an adult is seeking out the resources that you need. Colleges tend to offer counseling on a silver platter as part of your tuition, so go see someone.

Nah, I'm too embarassed to tell them.

My actions are very embarassing. It's not a simple matter of "i dont wanna do work or not" Today I got in such a bad mood from all the stress with all the assingments that i was too angry to even focus on my history, and i called my dad a horrible word i wont repeat on here.

I hate the way I feel, but I also don't feel like apologizing or "moving on". I have a mixture of feeling sorry for myself and feeling annoyed at other people. It's not that I dont wanna do work. It's the stress of everything at once.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's very strange to me. No one who's financially dependent on me will be planning a wedding. That's something you only do when you're capable of supporting your own household.

It could be cultural, though, especially if she's getting married at such a young age. I have acquaintances who might as well be 12 in their parents' eyes, because in their families, "daughter" doesn't stop being your primary responsibility until you get married.

I definitely think it's a cultural thing cause she said it's totally normal for 16 yr olds to get engaged there. She's from the country. I'm 16 & can tell you that it sure is not normal where I live. I hadn't even realized that ppl still could get married under age 21, lol. I thought the age for getting a marriage license was the same for drinking. Dumb, I suppose, but for real I've never met anybody who got married younger than 21. Never even heard of it. Well except to poor girls in the Middle East who are forced to get married when they're way too young. What I don't get is still having all kinds of strict rules for somebody who is engaged, cause I mean if you're old enough to decide on something that gigantic it sure does seem you're old enough to not need a curfew.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What would you like to do about it, then, moving forward?
Dumb, I suppose, but for real I've never met anybody who got married younger than 21. Never even heard of it. Well except to poor girls in the Middle East who are forced to get married when they're way too young.
Same. I can't think of anyone. I knew that the legal age is younger than 21 in most states, though.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How do you plan to solve the problem that you're facing?

idk. i just wish i had a major i liked, so i could have gone away to college somewhere, and i couldve lived in that enviornment with students 24 7, and i think it would've been far less stressful that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My actions are very embarassing. It's not a simple matter of "i dont wanna do work or not" Today I got in such a bad mood from all the stress with all the assingments that i was too angry to even focus on my history, and i called my dad a horrible word i wont repeat on here.

I hate the way I feel, but I also don't feel like apologizing or "moving on". I have a mixture of feeling sorry for myself and feeling annoyed at other people. It's not that I dont wanna do work. It's the stress of everything at once.

Did you read this post http://www.christianforums.com/threads/college-courses-and-opinions.7878573/page-7#post-68959177

Like she said it's not something to be embarrassed about if you have ADHD. Are you just gonna keep on living this way forever, making you & your parents crazy, all cause you're too embarrassed to get real help?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What does the legal age of marriage have to do with the topic of the thread?
The logical progression from your topic to that one is right there for you to read. Click back through the quotes. It branched off of your parents treating you like you're a minor regarding your schoolwork. If you'd like us to get back on topic, all you have to do is say so, but I honestly don't know what else there is to tell you. Complaining gets old when you're not going to do anything about the situation.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The logical progression from your topic to that one is right there for you to read. Click back through the quotes. It branched off of your parents treating you like you're a minor regarding your schoolwork. If you'd like us to get back on topic, all you have to do is say so, but I honestly don't know what else there is to tell you. Complaining gets old when you're not going to do anything about the situation.

I'm not complaining. My biggest worry this week is that some classes are so demanding (like English), there is no way for me to accommodate for the other classes, because I put so much time into it i dont have enough time to study.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
idk. i just wish i had a major i liked, so i could have gone away to college somewhere, and i couldve lived in that enviornment with students 24 7, and i think it would've been far less stressful that way.

Well you can go away to college somewhere. Just apply to go to one. You can transfer if you get in. I think your problems are gonna just follow you there cause you're still gonna have to deal w all the stress of your classes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Nothing you're likely to have done will shock a counsellor. Don't let embarrassment keep you from talking to someone who can help. We can encourage you, but we can't really work through your problems with you.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing you're likely to have done will shock a counsellor. Don't let embarrassment keep you from talking to someone who can help. We can encourage you, but we can't really work through your problems with you.

Yeah I kinda think most counselors have just about heard it all. I definitely think he'd be helped out by getting advice in person.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Here's another, different issue. Why are colleges so strict with citing? It's basically draconian. Some colleges are so strict they even expel students who don't even pretend other people's work is theirs, and even cited it, but didn't follow the exact guidelines.

I spend time doing all hard work, and after that, I have to worry about the technicalities of how to cite. It's another ridiculous thing I've noticed.

It is about the thief of ideas. Citing is about giving credit where credit is due. It is also the by product of students plagiarizing over the years. Plagiarization has always been a problem and a reason for to be expelled but with the internet, it is easier and students are not being taught how not to plagiarize in high school anymore. To cite correctly isn't hard, it is just takes time to learn it and college is about learning. I really doubt that anyone has been expelled for incorrectly citing a paper without plagiarization issues. Normally, you would just fail the classes until you fail out of school.

Upvote 0