College courses and opinions.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I've never commented in this subforum before. Its my first post here.

Anyways, I am graduating high school and start college soon. I feel like there are certain courses I want to take but I cant actually bring myself to do it. Here's why.

My parents are helping me go through the papers to pick a course, but I feel too embrassed to admit I want to take certain things, and that embarrasment is discouraging me from choosing them or admitting in front of them that I want to do it. Its not like my course selection is happening independently from anybody else-they are going through the books with me and taking me to a counselor to discuss it.

I'm not annoyed at them or anything-I appreciate that theyve always helped me with many things, but I feel like being helped in this situation is interfering with my decisions.

I feel as if my decisions are based on how others perceive me and how they'll react, rather than what I really want to do. I dont know if anyone here has ever experienced any similar situation. It's easier said than done, I know, but how do I get out of this mentality, and what should i do?

P

pittsflyer

I personally would not want my lively hood tied to a religion since my income could be compromised by fairly benign things in my personal life. If I want to have a few drinks with buddies I don't want to loose my job over it, if I want to have a non traditional marriage and not sign a govt form I don't want to loose my job over it.

I also don't want living situations where others are controlling what I can and cant do. If I am with a woman and we don't have a govt licence but are commited I don't want other peoples opinion of that arrangement to effect my life or income, that is simply not acceptable to me.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Start setting your mind to own what you want to do. If people don't see it in you, it might be because you're hiding it. You hide it to avoid criticism, but they don't see it because they don't see your passion for it, your drive to make it happen.

Your parents might understand if you show evidence you can pull it off.

Many students who go into the arts have this struggle with parents. The parents want to make sure there's a solid job at the end of the coursework. College is a significant investment, and the tuition money comes from thousands of hours of hard work.

At some point, you will need to own what you want to do, and share it with the public. If you don't, resentment can build up and drag you down. Get moral support from people early on - it might not be immediate acceptance, but it has to start some time.

Parents might seem overbearing, but they have gone through struggles in life that they don't want their kids to endure too. When they try to steer you into practical/lucrative areas, they are simply trying to prevent suffering.

Life can get a lot worse that anyone imagines. Whatever you can do to prevent loss ahead of time, will help you immensely.

You can find many ways to follow your dreams, even if you end up in a more practical field. I know engineers and professors who play music in public venues on the weekends. One was a pioneer in composing electronic music.

People in all sorts of fields, are ministers at storefront churches on the side.

Many painters work in offices during the week, and look forward to art activities as the time they feel themselves, defining their own expression.

I can relate to what you're saying, because I tend to guard my cards and tell people after I've already set things up. But I've found that people often misunderstand me when I don't clearly spell it out for them. They come up with all sorts of warped conclusions to fill in the gaps. It pays off to be up-front about what you want.

I feel as if my decisions are based on how others perceive me and how they'll react, rather than what I really want to do.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
My parents are helping me go through the papers to pick a course, but I feel too embrassed to admit I want to take certain things, and that embarrasment is discouraging me from choosing them or admitting in front of them that I want to do it. Its not like my course selection is happening independently from anybody else-they are going through the books with me and taking me to a counselor to discuss it.

I'm not annoyed at them or anything-I appreciate that theyve always helped me with many things, but I feel like being helped in this situation is interfering with my decisions.
I would explain to them that, as someone who is starting college, you think that seeking out information about course options and making these decisions should be one of your responsibilities. Colleges provide online resources and counselors/advisers to make sure students don't mess it up. Resources from your college are also more likely to offer you accurate advice than are your parents.

My parents have never been involved in my college course selection process (though they're happy to offer advice when I ask), so I can't say from experience what's likely to work for you here, but open communication is always the best bet, in my opinion.
I personally would not want my lively hood tied to a religion since my income could be compromised by fairly benign things in my personal life.
Did I miss something?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Anyways, I am graduating high school and start college soon. I feel like there are certain courses I want to take but I cant actually bring myself to do it. Here's why.

I feel as if my decisions are based on how others perceive me and how they'll react, rather than what I really want to do. I dont know if anyone here has ever experienced any similar situation. It's easier said than done, I know, but how do I get out of this mentality, and what should i do?

Why does what you want and admitting it to your parents cause you embarrassment?

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I know the feeling I had two decades ago, it was like that. The worst part is when they expect You to eventually get a big paycheck after completing all studies. Both the big and the completing part.
(Two decades ago because over here You have to do really well in high-school in order to enter college or university, the grades matter a whole lot, You can barely purchase Your place and if You do You don't get to do the tests - just take a class for Your own enjoyment and benefit.)

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Colleges provide online resources and counselors/advisers to make sure students don't mess it up. Resources from your college are also more likely to offer you accurate advice than are your parents.
This is true, and in the freshman year the schedule is already very structured. Usually electives are left until the last two years.

If you are talking about the programs/majors, then that means you will be trying to please five people/groups at once -- fulfilling what you need to for both programs? to keep peace with your parents ... or just being up front about it and conserving time.

Keep in mind the expense of each course -- often thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours of your time.

FEDERAL DEFINITION OF A CREDIT HOUR
For purposes of the application of this policy and in accord with federal regulations, a credit hour is an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates:

1. Not less than one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time, or;
  2. At least an equivalent amount of work as outlined in item 1 above for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.
http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/policies-procedures/university-policy-memorandums/upm-29-definition-of-a-credit-hour/

Average 2014–2015 cost of tuition (USD/US Total tuition, room and board rates charged for full-time undergraduate students in degree-granting institutions for 1 year of college.):

$20,403 All Institutions, averaged
$23,600 4-Year Institutions
$10,837 2-Year Institutions

http://www.statisticbrain.com/average-cost-of-college-tuition/

For well-respected schools, double that.

This is what your parents pay each of the 4+ years you are in school.
The amount is close to the median annual household income for families with no college education, before taxes. So basically, they pay a year's worth of salary for every year you are in college.

Median household income by education 2013 | Statistic

With taxes and many other things taken out of salaries, even a much higher income can net that amount per year. Four year's worth of getting up every morning, coming home tired, taking the stress.... they consider that investment worthwhile, to make suretheir children have a good education and a degree that provides better work... better opportunities, less struggle, more efficient use of time. So you can get more money per hour of labor.

It might seem like their requests are about them, or materialism, but they really are thinking about you not suffering and struggling.

That doesn't mean they should pick your major, but that you should at least recognize the value of their input. Listen to why they are suggesting certain options, and let them say it before you jump to your response.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does what you want and admitting it to your parents cause you embarrassment?
That's exactly what I was going to ask.

What courses you take in college quite often set the tone for how you do, career-wise, throughout much of the rest of your life. Since I don't know why you'd be embarrassed I can't get more specific, but you've got to bite the bullet and register for the courses that you think would be most beneficial. We're potentially talking about your livelihood here.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
$20,403 All Institutions, averaged
$23,600 4-Year Institutions
$10,837 2-Year Institutions

Average Cost of College Tuition | Statistic Brain

For well-respected schools, double that.

This is what your parents pay each of the 4+ years you are in school.
The amount is close to the median annual household income for families with no college education, before taxes. So basically, they pay a year's worth of salary for every year you are in college.
Well yes, if you go by the sticker price, but I assume he's receiving some amount of financial aid. Most students do. My school's tuition is much higher than the numbers here, but my parents only have to pay a fraction of it.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
That's great you did, but that isn't necessarily true in the US. I don't know where SSam is located... it appears you are based in US. There are states like Texas that subsidize.

We didn't get it because we had a small business and rental properties -- not paid off as truly owned, but it made it appear on paper like we had more property than we needed. I think between multiple students and a dozen years, we got a total of 500 dollars, and one temporary gesture from the school when it looked like we might drop enrollment.

It was something, but barely a dent. Financial aid was eager to offer loans with interest though.

I only brought up tuition costs to show where parents are coming from, not to instill guilt. There were times as parents we had to suggest part-time terms, and it was painful and embarrassing to not be able to offer tuition coverage freely.

Back to the OP --It is important to speak up and define ourselves to others, whether it's about major decisions or not.

The more I look back on life, the more I regret not telling people simple things about me-- because when I didn't, people filled in with their own imaginations. Sometimes they filled in with nothing -- an assumption that I do nothing. (It's nice to have LinkedIn for that!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's great you did, but that isn't necessarily true in the US. I don't know where SSam is located...
True, we don't know that Sam is in the US. I shouldn't assume.

I'm a US student, and doesn't federal aid apply at every US institution? The only reason you wouldn't get need-based federal and state aid is if you aren't a citizen or have a high enough household income that you don't qualify. The way the system is set up, no citizen should find themselves owing the whole sticker price unless they can afford it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Take it from someone who's been a college student for a long long time: nobody should determine the direction of your education but you. If you let others pressure you into a certain major or a certain set of courses, you'll end up extremely disappointed every time.

If I were you, I would sit down with an academic adviser, and explore some of your options. If you're undecided about a major, tell them. They can either connect you with the resources that will help you comb through some ideas that suit you, or they might suggest some great general education courses to get you started.

Academic advisers are objective, they're not going to judge you based on what you feel compelled to take. And frankly it's nobody's business but your own. If your parents are trying to control your college experience, they shouldn't be. College is that point in time when young adults transition away from their families. It's not easy, but it's necessary. It doesn't mean you never see or talk to them again, but it does mean this is when you become your own person. You make your own life decisions, you decide who to involve in those decisions and you reap the benefits or the consequences.

I hope that makes sense, but I sincerely hope you consider a way to make it happen.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
sit down with an academic adviser, and explore some of your options. If you're undecided about a major, tell them. They can either connect you with the resources that will help you comb through some ideas that suit you, or they might suggest some great general education courses to get you started.

Academic advisers are objective, they're not going to judge you based on what you feel compelled to take. And frankly it's nobody's business but your own.
They are accustomed to setting up plans for undecided students -- usually that means a lot of general ed, but they will try to make sure you stay in sequence with required departmental/major courses.

The only reason you wouldn't get need-based federal and state aid is if you aren't a citizen or have a high enough household income that you don't qualify. The way the system is set up, no citizen should find themselves owing the whole sticker price unless they can afford it.
Well ideally yes, but it doesn't happen that way. The statistics usually lump all sorts of categories into "receiving aid" -- including bank loans, corporate scholarships, employer reimbursement, and very small amounts of aid. A large percentage of people "receive some aid," but not full scholarship.

Doesn't federal aid apply at every US institution?
Regionally-accredited ones. Also some private schools opt out, to maintain more control over their curriculum. (A Bible school might want to teach dogma, but not want to align with federal expectations, so they are detached by limited federal aid.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Not even embarassment itself but more like nervousness from being persuaded not to make certain decisions. For example, I was talking for a few days about picking a computer science curriculum, but today in a family discussion my dad said it may be too hard for me and it may be better if i should just take general studies. now i feel even more confused about what i should or should not do.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not even embarassment itself but more like nervousness from being persuaded not to make certain decisions. For example, I was talking for a few days about picking a computer science curriculum, but today in a family discussion my dad said it may be too hard for me and it may be better if i should just take general studies. now i feel even more confused about what i should or should not do.

By "general studies" is he referring to general education courses that everyone has to take before they begin working on their major, or does he mean "general studies" as a major?

If he means the former, that's not a bad idea to get your general ed courses out of the way first, in fact some schools require that to happen anyway. However, if he's trying to tell you what to major in, I think he's overstepping. Only you know what you want.

Listen, if your parents are paying for your school that's really nice of them as they're not obligated to do so. However, that doesn't give them the leverage to decide what your future is going to be. So whether they're paying for your school or not, they shouldn't be dictating the course of your college career.

I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would strongly recommend you sit down with your parents and let them know that you need to be the only one who decides what you're going to major in. If you need help outlining a plan to give them (assuming they demand one) we can give you some ideas.

Be prepared for the extreme possibility that they might threaten to pull the plug on their financial help (I've heard of this happening, if some controlling parents can't control their kid's college careers, they stop paying for them). If this happens, you'll have to decide if you're willing to shoulder the responsibility of your educational costs. There are plenty of options including federal grants, federal loans, school grants, private loans, etc. With a combination of those things you should likely be able to fund your school by yourself if need be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hooray for the class of 2015!!!!! I graduate from high school next month, too, and I am exhilarated one moment and wishing life came with reigns so I could slow things down and savor it all a bit more the next. I'm so surprised you're already choosing college courses in May. Are you taking summer sessions? Are you an American? I know in many other countries students leap directly into their field of study when they begin university, whereas in America most colleges have General Education Requirements of classes that all students take prior to declaring their major. The advantage of this is that it gives students more time to grow into themselves, to explore academic areas of interest, or take classes in subjects they're already familiar with at a higher level, and do more research about prospective career choices and how to become equipped for success in them. The president of Stanford University has joked that the most popular major for first-years is "I don't know," and the most popular major for sophomores is "I changed my mind."

It's wonderful your parents are so involved in your life, but as you cross the threshold into adulthood I think it's important that they shift roles to merely giving you guidance and advice rather than orders or instructions, and for you to make your own decisions about the direction you wish to go in. We have to take responsibility and ownership for our choices now. I will ask my parents for their perspectives when I choose my classes for the upcoming year, but will ultimately make the decision myself after carefully reading through the requirements and course descriptions and talking with my academic advisor. My brother is graduating from college next month, and has never sought permission from my parents for any of the classes he's taken. He's going to medical school for bioengineering so most of his classes have been in preparation for that, but he's also taken some electives just out of curiosity or for fun. He wasn't embarrassed to try things like an acting improvisation class, fencing, a design class, or introduction to photography. Having some lighter classes in his course load also allowed him to put more energy into the subjects relevant to his major.

Most colleges have detailed information on their website about their requirements, with a breakdown of general education, graduation, and major-specific requirements. I would start by reading through the general education requirements (assuming you're an American and going to a college that has them), and then reading the course descriptions for the classes. Decide on some that interest you. I've heard that it's better to take some easier classes your first term because the transition from high school to college is challenging enough, and you don't want to overwhelm yourself.

Never let the fear of how others will perceive you shackle your ambitions. You are the only person in this world who will ever lead your life. Others can influence you, inspire you, lead you, judge you, advise you, but no one else can ever be you. Self-consciousness can become a form of self-sabotage. And really, the amount of time others actually spend thinking about us is usually significantly less than the amount of time we spend worrying about what they'll think about us. Sure, there will always be people who form perceptions and judgements of others, but those who are successful tend to focus more on their own lives.

Think of Hebrews 12:1. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Throw off the inhibitions and fears that are hindering and entangling you, and focus on your race.

I'd ask your academic advisor for feedback. He or she can review your high school transcript to understand your preparation and give you advice based on knowledge of those specific classes you're interested in. Still, though, you won't really know a course is too hard for you if you don't actually try it. You could take an easier computer science class or two, and see how you do. Most colleges have an Add / Drop period during the first few weeks of the term that will allow you to get a feel for the course and decide whether you wish to stick with it, or drop it and switch to something else. Most first-years do take more of the general education requirements, with a few courses in the field(s) they're potentially interested in majoring in.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hooray for the class of 2015!!!!! I graduate from high school next month, too, and I am exhilarated one moment and wishing life came with reigns so I could slow things down and savor it all a bit more the next. I'm so surprised you're already choosing college courses in May. Are you taking summer sessions? Are you an American? I know in many other countries students leap directly into their field of study when they begin university, whereas in America most colleges have General Education Requirements of classes that all students take prior to declaring their major. The advantage of this is that it gives students more time to grow into themselves, to explore academic areas of interest, or take classes in subjects they're already familiar with at a higher level, and do more research about prospective career choices and how to become equipped for success in them. The president of Stanford University has joked that the most popular major for first-years is "I don't know," and the most popular major for sophomores is "I changed my mind."

It's wonderful your parents are so involved in your life, but as you cross the threshold into adulthood I think it's important that they shift roles to merely giving you guidance and advice rather than orders or instructions, and for you to make your own decisions about the direction you wish to go in. ....

Wasn't that way for Physics or Chemistry when I went to college and I'd think the forces driving that have if anything increased. That said I never can remember if I was officially a Physics major or a Math Major who added Physics. One may not need to declare a major to start, but one should have a good idea of their ballpark. And if one is torn it is a good idea to check carefully what is required for any of the majors they find attractive and make sure they take the prerequisite classes needed.

A child going to college can be traumatic for overly protective parents. One really ironic thing is parents who started letting go early can give suggestions that are listened to and followed far better than orders from those who did not. Well at least if their earlier suggestions turned out to be right most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wasn't that way for Physics of Chemistry when I went to college and I'd think the forces driving that have if anything increased. That said I never can remember if I was officially a Physics major or a Math Major who added Physics. One may not need to declare a major to start, but one should have a good idea of their ballpark. And if one is torn it is a good idea to check carefully what is required for any of the majors they find attractive and make sure they take the prerequisite classes needed.

A child going to college can be traumatic for overly protective parents. One really ironic thing is parents who started letting go early can give suggestions that are listened to and followed far better than orders from those who did not. Well at least if their earlier suggestions turned out to be right most of the time.

You went to college when my own parents were in elementary school, haha. Things might have changed just a bit since back then. :p

Upvote 0

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Sam. I was in your position a few years ago. I let my parents decide for me, and after four years of being throttled all over the place, even to different Universities (three in fact), I finally graduated with a degree in psychology. Long story short, that wasn't what I wanted. Two years ago I went back to school and now I just graduated again with a computer science degree.

My advice: Do what you want and don't be nervous just because someone tried to convince you out of it. Your parents seem nice, and they probably have the best intentions, but what you study is a big decision that's going to affect you everyday for the rest of your life.

At the same time, School is expensive. You don't want to do what I did. If you want to do computer science, start learning now. Honestly, you're not going to stand a chance (at some schools) unless you know how to study and learn this stuff on your own. At my school that depratment prided itself on failing students. The first few courses were intended to specifically weed out people. In one course 40% either dropped or failed it every year, and those were just the intro to java classes. That's why I'm saying... It's a lot easier if you can learn the stuff yourself. A big reason why compsci is a difficult major is because people try to make it that way, but don't let it scare you; just start learning now.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Most college students do not declare their major until toward the end of their sophomore year. The first year particularly is a good time to find out more about yourself, to explore your interests by taking a variety of introductory courses. You can then narrow it down from there. Taking an introductory course in computer science would let you and your parents both know whether that is something you are really suited for as a major.

Upvote 0