✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chick-Fil-A Supporters Gather for Appreciation Day - ABC News

How many of our left leaning friends here could honestly say the same as the bolded portion above? Anybody?

I'm not eating chick fil a no matter what their views are and no matter what I support politically. My health means more to me than that- I don't do fast food chicken, and for the most part also avoid chain "family" restaurants because the food is usually really bad for you, and if I'm going to eat food that's bad for me I at least want it to taste really good which means generally good cooking at local dives. :)

In general I would expect most larger businesses to be right leaning particularly on fiscal policy - even if they support "generous" tax payer funded programs they're still going to want their own tax breaks - I expect that, but I'm still looking for privately and locally owned where possible, what attempts are made to source goods domestically, and how employees are treated. I don't generally want to know the owners politics, religious beliefs or personal failings when it comes to their prejudices (we all have them) but if I know they actually discriminate and/or act on their human failings when it comes to treating people differently because of things like orientation then I'm not going to give them business no matter what.

Of course as far as chick fil a goes... I believe there is only 1 in the entire state the one at NYU and it might be a campus foods type thing- limited options... not sure. So you know.. it doesn't take a lot for me to say I'm not eating at a chick fil a :p

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,373.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I didn't even know what chick fil A was before this lol.

I knew what it was, just no idea where there is one near me.

Personally I would not go out and eat there to show support. I checked a bit on their policies and find some more than a bit over the top.

BUT not enough so that I would boycott them. In fact not enough that I would not consider being invovled in a counter boycott IF the governtmental authorities in my area did what those in Boston seem to have done.

EDIT: 52 of them in all of California. Closest to me is 7.2 miles as the crow flies (and trust me only a bid could keep it under 15 miles real driving).

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, BleedingHeart. :wave:

LOL ... I couldn't help but notice you didn't refute anything specific. A number of specifics were provided. :cool:

What specifics? You said the left has been attacking and demonizing Chick for years but couldn't bother to give us a source. You say that the "left" has been doing this because Chick has been a "espousing Christian values" once again no source. You say the left has been doing this because the company is private, ignoring the fact that American liberals shop the same as everyone else, at private businesses.

There's nothing to refute because nothing meaningful was said.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Counter boycotts rarely do much good. They will have very limitted and brief success, but those involved in the counter boycotts rarely have much passion for it.

Look at the Susan G. Komen counter boycott. They raised record amounts for a very brief time then their donations plummetted as the regular donors who were boycotting stopped their donations. The boycott worked and their leadership was not fooled by the flash-in-the-pan success of the counter-boycott.

In the long haul as young people get older and the acceptance of Gay people gets more and more overwhelming, their company will pay the price of being known as a beacon of bigotry.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What specifics? You said the left has been attacking and demonizing Chick for years but couldn't bother to give us a source. You say that the "left" has been doing this because Chick has been a "espousing Christian values" once again no source. You say the left has been doing this because the company is private, ignoring the fact that American liberals shop the same as everyone else, at private businesses.

There's nothing to refute because nothing meaningful was said.
Ahh ... well, here's an example then from about six months ago on this very forum. I had no idea at the time why Umaro was so vehemently opposed to Chick-Fil-A ... but he identifies it in his very first sentence. Chick-Fil-A is a "most vocally Christian business".

Examples? Certainly. Let's look at the most vocally Christian business I know of: Chick-fil-a.

Three of the five standard positions at a Chick-fil-a store pay roughly $15k annually for full time. The federal poverty line for a family of 3 is $19k, and a family of 4 is $23k. Let's be really generous and assume that each of the ~1600 locations only has one of each type of worker, so 4800 workers are making about $15k.

Now, it's important to note that as the terms of its business, the Chick-fil-a company takes 15% of gross sales, and then 50% of pretax net profit from each store.

Now, if we go by the standard family of 4 poverty line, that would mean Chick-fil-a would have to donate About $38.4 million per year to have it's own workers all be out of poverty. If you use the 3 member poverty line, that's still $19.2 million they would need to break even.

I can't seem to find an exact number for donations, but they speak proudly of the $1.6 million they gave to workers for scholarships, and there's considerable news about the $2 million they gave to a group of anti-gay protestors. But let's be generous. Let's round to an even $4 million. Then triple it to $12 million in annual donations. That's still only ~65% of what they'd need to have all workers breach the 3 member poverty line.

Now, keep in mind this company broke $4 billion in sales last year.

So there you have it. We have an expressly and celebratedly Christian company, exactly the sort who claim charity is enough and that we should "teach a man to fish" and "he who works eats," taking upwards of 65% of their workers labor while not giving them enough to take "fishing lessons" or eat.

So yes, I will say charity is not enough, and that many Christians are betraying the theory on their own. When your charity doesn't cover your own workers, then it is not enough.
Thanks for providing an example, Umaro.

Just one question for you. Why should Chick-fil-A pay employees enough for a family of four to live comfortably?

Here are some additional questions for your consideration, as well ...

Do you believe that all businesses should pay employees enough for a family of four to live in middle-class comfort? What about high school kids ... should they earn as much as middle-age employees who have learned a business through years of experience ... and who are paying to put their kids through college? Do you believe that there should be such a thing as entry level jobs? Have you considered that people who choose to invest in eight years of college might provide more value to a company or business?
You're welcome. :wave:

Hope that helps clarify. The exchange with Umaro certainly opened my eyes. I had taken no notice of Chick-Fil-A prior to that time.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He said this:

“We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,”

Wow, horror of horrors!! How could he say such a thing..... Pardon the coldness and political incorrectness here but, why is the gay community getting their panties in a bunch over this? Or are they, really? This, to me anyway, is the politicizing of something that may not even be such a big deal to those in the gay community.

Yes!! A Boycott!! That's the answer! sheesh! :doh:

And that was just as asinine as the Chic-Fil-A boycott. Keep in mind that we didn't have mayors of major urban cities refusing to allow Nabisco to expand facilities or start new factories either.

Yeah, I have to say the whole preventing expansion in Boston issue is just ridiculous. That's the real issue here (or should be) that a Company that's done nothing wrong ( as evidenced by the statement they made ) should be ostracized for their beliefs. Geez, I remember the "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" signs. Seems like those are still up in certain places but not in Chik-fil-a.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ahh ... well, here's an example then from about six months ago on this very forum. I had no idea at the time why Umaro was so vehemently opposed to Chick-Fil-A ... but he identifies it in his very first sentence. Chick-Fil-A is a "most vocally Christian business".

Did you look at that first sentence and not everything else he'd written after that? He explains that he didn't feel they were giving enough to their employees, in spite of their professed Christianity. He didn't say that he disliked them only because they were "vocally Christian." Then again, I don't know what he said prior to the quoted paragraph, so maybe you know something I don't, but based on what you gave me, your argument isn't getting any better.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Did you look at that first sentence and not everything else he'd written after that? He explains that he didn't feel they were giving enough to their employees, in spite of their professed Christianity. He didn't say that he disliked them only because they were "vocally Christian." Then again, I don't know what he said prior to the quoted paragraph, so maybe you know something I don't, but based on what you gave me, your argument isn't getting any better.
LOL ... if you don't like evidence from our own forum, how about this 18 months ago from CNN?

Chick-fil-A controversy shines light on restaurant's Christian DNA – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
The ongoing Chick-fil-A flap - which has gay rights groups blasting the restaurant chain for donating food to an anti-gay marriage group - may be a fleeting controversy for a privately held company that is more accustomed to fiercely loyal patrons and generally positive press coverage.
The current controversy erupted when some college campus and gay rights groups blasted the restaurant chain for donating free food to a Pennsylvania organization opposed to gay marriage.
Gosh, CNN indicates Chick-Fil-A was minding its own business a year and a half ago ... and donating to charities of their own choosing, when "gay rights groups blasted the restaurant chain".

Again, you're welcome. :wave:

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
LOL ... if you don't like evidence from our own forum, how about this 18 months ago from CNN?

Chick-fil-A controversy shines light on restaurant's Christian DNA – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
The ongoing Chick-fil-A flap - which has gay rights groups blasting the restaurant chain for donating food to an anti-gay marriage group - may be a fleeting controversy for a privately held company that is more accustomed to fiercely loyal patrons and generally positive press coverage.
The current controversy erupted when some college campus and gay rights groups blasted the restaurant chain for donating free food to a Pennsylvania organization opposed to gay marriage.
Gosh, CNN indicates Chick-Fil-A was minding its own business a year and a half ago ... and donating to charities of their own choosing, when "gay rights groups blasted the restaurant chain".

I wouldn't call Exodus International, Eagle Forum or Focus on the Family "Charities".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

That's not what CNN said. The article specifically said that Chick donated food to an organization opposed to gay marriage. Of course, it would help if CNN bothered telling us the name of the group, but why be mean to them about specific details that matter?

So once again, still not seeing your point about "the left" hating Chick because they are Christians running a private business.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to anecdotal accounts there are long lines at Chick-fil-A today. :thumbsup:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-chick-fil-a-20120801,0,2278818.story

Just two weeks ago, Chick-fil-A was a fast-food restaurant best known for chicken sandwiches and cross-cut fries. Now the chain is known for much more, chiefly its opposition to gay marriage.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has declared Aug. 1 -- today -- Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, encouraging residents nationwide who support traditional values to plunk down some money and let the Christian-run company know it's not alone.
For some unknown reason talk radio hosts Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh also got behind Chick-fil-A. Who knew? ;)

Pretty awesome how his public support of traditional marriage has led to this large amount of support. Although I am a little worried about this so called "Kiss In" that is suppose to take place on Friday.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not what CNN said. The article specifically said that Chick donated food to an organization opposed to gay marriage. Of course, it would help if CNN bothered telling us the name of the group, but why be mean to them about specific details that matter?

So once again, still not seeing your point about "the left" hating Chick because they are Christians running a private business.

Why should it matter if they donated anything to organizations that oppose gay marriage?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He said this:

“We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that,”

Wow, horror of horrors!! How could he say such a thing..... Pardon the coldness and political incorrectness here but, why is the gay community getting their panties in a bunch over this? Or are they, really? This, to me anyway, is the politicizing of something that may not even be such a big deal to those in the gay community.

Yes!! A Boycott!! That's the answer! sheesh! :doh:

And that was just as asinine as the Chic-Fil-A boycott. Keep in mind that we didn't have mayors of major urban cities refusing to allow Nabisco to expand facilities or start new factories either.

He also doubled down on it
I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say 'we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should it matter if they donated anything to organizations that oppose gay marriage?

Well, I do care where the profits of businesses I support go. If I know a business actively supports things that seek to deprive family members and friends of mine something like being able to marry the person they love I don't want to spend any money there. There are several places I have opted not to give my business to because the causes they support include causes that focus entirely on limiting the rights of women to reproductive health care (and my primary concern there is access to birth control) not allowing people to choose a legal marriage partner regardless of gender and/or controlling the ability of school districts to provide quality sex education curriculum.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Not liking things the thought police want you to like is thoughtcrime. Obviously there needs to be some re-education so that the company is run by people who have only goodthink.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It doesn't. Except of course gay rights organizations are going to raise heck about it. It doesn't prove Hawk's point, however.

Upvote 0