Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What are some things youve learned to be wary about that you would advise others?
For example I have learned whenever I made a bad choice, and lost hard earned money, it was because a friend or a stranger suggested I buy something that they raved about till I was bullied into having whatever they had. Of course, it didnt turn out what I needed anyway. Its hard to not follow the crowd, but people just say a lot of things that arent in your best interest.

I can think of the time I felt low and a nurse told me well join a gym then, and everyone else was going to the gym, so I felt I had to sign up. I was an easy target for an unscrupulous gym touting $1 membership fee. It turned out I didnt need to go to a gym after all, i didnt like it, but apparently was locked into a contract where they took money straight from my account for 12 months whether I went to it or not.

(This was back when I was younger and didnt know how gym memberships operated) so I would just say buyer beware and ask people share what things they learned along lifes road to be wary of, and alternatives. Eg. Instead of going to the gym theres other good ways of keeping fit that are free, like walking in the fresh air.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
What are some things youve learned to be wary about that you would advise others?
For example I have learned whenever I made a bad choice, and lost hard earned money, it was because a friend or a stranger suggested I buy something that they raved about till I was bullied into having whatever they had. Of course, it didnt turn out what I needed anyway. Its hard to not follow the crowd, but people just say a lot of things that arent in your best interest.

I can think of the time I felt low and a nurse told me well join a gym then, and everyone else was going to the gym, so I felt I had to sign up. I was an easy target for an unscrupulous gym touting $1 membership fee. It turned out I didnt need to go to a gym after all, i didnt like it, but apparently was locked into a contract where they took money straight from my account for 12 months whether I went to it or not.

(This was back when I was younger and didnt know how gym memberships operated) so I would just say buyer beware and ask people share what things they learned along lifes road to be wary of, and alternatives. Eg. Instead of going to the gym theres other good ways of keeping fit that are free, like walking in the fresh air.

I think it is useful to learn the difference between want and need. Too much advertising is geared towards greed, rather than what we actually need to have.

And a tip for shopping; never buy one thing in a shop. Either find two things you need, or else don't bother. This is a very useful way to avoid impulse shopping. And don't believe the signs saying 'Sale'. Prices vary; sometimes they are high, sometimes they are lower. If the price changes that is not a sale, just a price change.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I find it useful to make a list and stick to it, dont just go to a mall and look around as if you want them to take your money and spend it on anything. Go with a purpose in mind.

When you are young and first start earning money its easy to be seduced by everything on offer, and just because you now have some income that you can spend it on anything. An advice I would give especially to young people is start this good shopping habits early, and then you wont end up buying things you dont need and have to get rid of later.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Going to the gym is really good for you. I've read that people who lift weights tend to live longer.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not so, gardening can be therapeutic.
There are healing gardens, just being outside in the fresh air and seeing green or smelling flowers can lift ones spirits.

Can you please stick to the topic, I think people aren't aware that gyms can be unscrupulous with people signing up locking them into contracts and direct debiting money away. Not all gyms are like this but some are.

Don't agree to direct debit anything. Ask for a free trial first before you sign up. If you agree to a contract, make it automatic payment that you can stop at anytime.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Another one is, MLM salespeople. Avoid them like the plague. They will pester you to buy and often used guilt trip tactics to persuade you, and worse, make all your friends unwitting customers as well. If you sign up, they get a bonus, so, they are not really your 'friend' just being 'friendly' to use you to line their pockets.
Often the goods they peddle aren't necessary either, otherwise they would be everyday goods you can buy at the shops without having to go through a middleman.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Not so, gardening can be therapeutic.
There are healing gardens, just being outside in the fresh air and seeing green or smelling flowers can lift ones spirits.

Can you please stick to the topic, I think people aren't aware that gyms can be unscrupulous with people signing up locking them into contracts and direct debiting money away. Not all gyms are like this but some are.

Don't agree to direct debit anything. Ask for a free trial first before you sign up. If you agree to a contract, make it automatic payment that you can stop at anytime.

The topic is things that others might like to be wary of. I suggested people be wary of mistaking correlation for causation. That is on topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
actually the topic is Caveat Emptor.
Please stick to it.

I think that false advertising is what gets you sucked into the gym in the first place. If someone really wants you to go, but then has you commit to pay hundreds of dollars a month when you haven't even tried it first, that is just wrong.

The thing with snake oil salesmen is they believe their own press, but disregard anyone that doesn't fit in with their sales pitch when it didn't work for them. If a product is really that good, there should be a money back guarantee. But often what happens is many many places won't bother refunding your money after 24 hours. They want you to buy on the spot. Then they don't deliver, and when you ask, they have disappeared.

Upvote 0

Cloture

Jul 20, 2015
a city by the sea
✟8,092.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I got my first "real" job at the ripe old age of 18, I went out and bought myself one of those gym memberships. Terrible financial decision. Not only did I rarely have time to go there and make use of my money, but they started debiting my bank account multiple times a month instead of just the one monthly fee. First time I ever had my own grownup checking account, and they put me in the red by taking all my money within 90 days.

So I canceled the automatic debit. When a collections attorney contacted me, I sent him evidence of the shady extra debits. Never heard another word out of it.

Now I stay active outdoors for free and have more spare cash to invest in charitable giving. I have no interest in paying to join a gym ever again.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea be wary of those gyms. If you sign up, with direct debit they will suck you like the financial vampires they are.

Dont agree to direct debit anything. If you need to pay a bill regularly, put it on automatic payment on your end so you in control of when and how much you pay.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Education these days comes under the category caveat emptor, as tertiary and private education now comes at a price...and often schools fail to deliver. I would say that don't be in a hurry to take whatever is offered check out your options first and factor in time commitments, wether the school has a good graduate program in place and support after you finished your studies, how far you have to travel, accommodation, what the costs are not including course fees. Maybe the most important thing is getting along with your tutors and matching your learning style with their teaching methods.

Don't be sucked in by advertisments touting one school as world class or testimonials of successful students unless you know them personally and maybe talk to them. Do your research and homework about the schools and options for withdrawing if it doesn't work out. I know many people don't really have a choice but don't discount homeschooling, community colleges, distance learning (if its properly administered), apprenticeships and learning from your elders. If going to university, check out scholarships, because university isn't going to be cheap, and having financial worries on top of studying is draining. You do not want to have a huge debt because of a student loan when you graduate and looking for your first job, which may not materialise as soon as you hope and have to pay back that debt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cloture

Jul 20, 2015
a city by the sea
✟8,092.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't get me started on the conventional university path our society pushes young people down. Everybody doesn't need to get an MBA from Harvard when maybe all they want is to work with their hands and buy a small house.

When you reject the world's definition of success (own a mansion, drive an Audi, have a corner office in a skyscraper), you eventually reject their advice on how to get there. Unfortunately many Christians fail to see how much of their life is really dominated by the world. Yes, there are people God will call into a corporate setting, or people who may need an MBA for their God-given talents, but that doesn't mean they should run off to a secular progressive university that charges $50k for a glorified social justice degree.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Working in a corporation...caveat emptor. Or buying from one.
It is best to support local businesses not faceless overseas ones. Your money could be adding to the woes of third world sweatshops. You have a choice to buy goods made or grown in your own country or at least make a fair trade. Also many things are not necessary to buy, that people can actually make or grow themselves.

Upvote 0

Cloture

Jul 20, 2015
a city by the sea
✟8,092.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is best to support local businesses not faceless overseas ones.

I'm actually torn on this. I've seen some very bad examples of working for small local businesses. The owners tend to be dictators. They change policies based on what mood they're in. They bring their teenage child into the office with the clear assumption that this kid will be the boss one day. If they have a bad year, or if their teenage daughter doesn't like you, you can forget about a raise. I've been there and done that. It's not all Norman Rockwell.

Aside from that, it's kind of a myth that small businesses generate their own materials. Many local restaurants source food from giant suppliers. Most local business offices source their paper supplies from 3M when it's all said and done.

I will agree that no one should feel pressured to go the corporate way just because society tells them to. People can build a career in all sorts of ways. The most important thing is to find an industry/company/boss that is as ethical as possible and then just work very hard to make that industry better.

(For the record, I also buy things online a lot because I don't always get good service at small shops. Sometimes you can find a great local shop where you really hit it off with the owner. Other times, you drive across town on a wild goose chase just to be hassled by some teenager behind a counter. Small businesses have to compete. It is what it is.)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean local businesses I don't actually mean 'small businesses". eg. not global trans national corporations. National chain stores are fine as long as profits aren't going offshore or the business gives something back to the community.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
why would you want to work for a family owned business if you are not actually family? Doesn't make sense.

You could start your own. I wouldn't hold the family's offspring against them, if they are being taught the business and want to continue on with it.

Anyway this isn't about working for anyone else, its about who you buy from. If you make good relationships with local suppliers, the community benefits. It is their livelihood after all.

Upvote 0