Can algorithms tell us who wrote the Bible?

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"JERUSALEM (AP) — Software developed by an Israeli team is giving intriguing new hints about what researchers believe to be the multiple hands that wrote the Bible."

"The new software analyzes style and word choices to distinguish parts of a single text written by different authors, and when applied to the Bible its algorithm teased out distinct writerly voices in the holy book."

" The first chapter of Genesis, for example, is usually thought to have been written by the "priestly" author, but the software indicated it was not."

So Genesis one and Genesis two were NOT written by the same person. Now I have a book written in 1936 by David Cooper Th.m, Ph.D, Litt.D. I am beginning to wonder if some of what we use to know about the Bible has been lost. I am looking at book four in his Series. He claims not to be follow traditions but his results are based on his own science based research and study. He talks about how they believe the Bible was copied onto Scrolls from Clay tablets. He says the style of chapter one differs greatly from chapter 2, 3 & 4. Now this has been confirmed by algorithms program on the computer that can distinguish between authors. They tested the program by running two books in together and the program separated them perfectly.

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-algorithm-sheds-light-bible-163128454.html

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"JERUSALEM (AP) — Software developed by an Israeli team is giving intriguing new hints about what researchers believe to be the multiple hands that wrote the Bible."

"The new software analyzes style and word choices to distinguish parts of a single text written by different authors, and when applied to the Bible its algorithm teased out distinct writerly voices in the holy book."

" The first chapter of Genesis, for example, is usually thought to have been written by the "priestly" author, but the software indicated it was not."

So Genesis one and Genesis two were NOT written by the same person. Now I have a book written in 1936 by David Cooper Th.m, Ph.D, Litt.D. I am beginning to wonder if some of what we use to know about the Bible has been lost. I am looking at book four in his Series. He claims not to be follow traditions but his results are based on his own science based research and study. He talks about how they believe the Bible was copied onto Scrolls from Clay tablets. He says the style of chapter one differs greatly from chapter 2, 3 & 4. Now this has been confirmed by algorithms program on the computer that can distinguish between authors. They tested the program by running two books in together and the program separated them perfectly.

The first such analysis using a new method is not going to be the last such analysis.
This is not the time to swallow the bait presented without chewing on it a while.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Can a person write two chapters of text with two entirely different styles?
I like to say: Yes.
Even having three or four styles are not impossible if separated by time.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
We know who wrote the books in the Bible, men, if you want to add to that it's your choice but it's all just speculation,
who wrote the Koran and all the other religious books? men but you dismiss those as being nonsense, why? because you were not born in a country where they are the main religions, had you been you would probably now be a believer in one of them, then again you might be foolish enough to believe that the God of the Bible would have found you and plucked you out from amongst those non-believers and shown you the way, if you do then you will believe anything.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know who wrote the books in the Bible, men, if you want to add to that it's your choice but it's all just speculation
Yes the Bible was recorded by men that were inspired by God. The atheist is in denial that man can be inspired by His creator. This I presume is because they for the most part have never had that experience. So they exclude God from their lives. But just because God is excluded from their life does not mean that God is not a part of the lives of believers.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am somewhat confused as I thought it was common knowledge that the two different creation stories, with the second one beginning at Genesis 2:4, were written by different people at different times. Different "voices" are woven into much of the Pentateuch. The software and algorithms just confirm what most bible scholars have concluded for the past two hundred years or so.

Note: the story about this is over four years old; not real recent news.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AFAIK there is no time traveling software or algorithm that can witness who first wrote down the biblical texts. When you come up with one let me know. Speculation by someone's software is likely to mirror that someone's speculative biases.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify can I confirm that you mean alogrithms and not anagrams?
Yes, anagrams go back to the beginning of written language. Right now I am still working on showing that the logic for alogrithms goes back that far. There is no doubt that logic goes back to Moses. God is: "The Great I AM." “God said to Moses, "I AM who I AM"." This means there is no contradiction. This is the law of consistency. A statement is logically consistent when it involves no logical contradiction. Most atheists attempt to show a logical inconsistency, only they fail 100% of the time in their attempt. Because God is ALWAYS consistent with Himself. He maybe inconsistent with His creation, because creation is in a fallen condition. But His Creation is going to be restored so that once again He will be consistent with the world that He has Created. Our choice is to join God in His consistency. Or we can choose to remain inconsistent.

All of the arguments of atheists are based on logical inconsistency. Because they are inconsistent with God. But God remains true. He remains consistent even if man is inconsistent. Paul says that our inconsistency demonstrate God's consistency.

God Remains Faithful Romans 3
3 What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written, "THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED."5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? ...

Their statement: I do not believe therefore God does not exist is a logical fallacy. We exist because of God, if there were no God then we would not exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AFAIK there is no time traveling software or algorithm that can witness who first wrote down the biblical texts. When you come up with one let me know. Speculation by someone's software is likely to mirror that someone's speculative biases.
It appears that three of the four Israeli researchers who developed the program are observant Jews, so their bias could have been in the other direction. They also tested it by mixing together lines from two books of the Bible, and the software was able to separate them very accurately. It was noted that some of the findings do not agree exactly with the conclusions of Bible scholars, but in general confirm the theories about multiple authorship of certain writings, such as Isaiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What we are trying to show is that the Bible was first written on clay tablet and then Moses transferred the words to the Egyptian Papyrus. That is what he was trained to do. To read the clay tablets and to write the story on the Papyrus.

Of course Papyrus can burn and clay tablets have a better chance to survive the ravages of time. The story is that Alexander the Great SOLD the books in the library of Alexander to pay for his war debts. Then he staged a fire to make it look like the scrolls were burned in the fire. To cover up that he sold them. The city of Alexandria is now underwater. So they had the fire first and then the flood. At the time of Alexander.

Maybe the clay tablets are still there under the water and they just have not found them yet.

dacb38202dd9473c752d22c2dd451ba6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There is no doubt that logic goes back to Moses.

Here we agree totally. But I think logic goes back further than Moses.

If you are asserting that logic began with Moses it would be delightful if you could support it.

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes the Bible was recorded by men that were inspired by God.
You know that how? was every religions text writer inspired by their Gods? do you believe people when they say they have been spoken to by God, if I said I had would you believe me? if not why not? why do you only believe the people who wrote the Bible books when they say they were guided by God? how do you know they were not guided by some other God? the obvious answer is that you are like every believer in that you only believe what you want to believe and you disregard the rest.

Religions are nonsense from start to finish, to be a believer you must first believe, only people who want to believe can possibly be believers, their gullibility mode needs to be turned on and their denial mode set to max before any of it will sink in and become true, try and imagine what it must be like to be a scientology believer, the mental gymnastics must be incredible.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know that how? was every religions text writer inspired by their Gods? do you believe people when they say they have been spoken to by God, if I said I had would you believe me? if not why not? why do you only believe the people who wrote the Bible books when they say they were guided by God? how do you know they were not guided by some other God? the obvious answer is that you are like every believer in that you only believe what you want to believe and you disregard the rest.

Religions are nonsense from start to finish, to be a believer you must first believe, only people who want to believe can possibly be believers, their gullibility mode needs to be turned on and their denial mode set to max before any of it will sink in and become true, try and imagine what it must be like to be a scientology believer, the mental gymnastics must be incredible.

Yet somehow others are attracted to a site full of those that are so gullible. In order to do what I wonder? Are they here to try to sell the gullible something they cannot sell the skeptical?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The software and algorithms just confirm what most bible scholars have concluded for the past two hundred years or so.
Yes only they worked so hard in the past and now the computer program makes the work very easy. People like Strong worked his whole life to write his concordance. Now that concordance fits into a computer and you can study the Bible a LOT faster then what they could do before computers.

[/quote]Note: the story about this is over four years old; not real recent news. [/QUOTE]It is new for me though, I just found it. Because I was doing research on algorithms and the Bible. Computers of course work on algorithms. Computers like the Bible are always true. If the algorithm or computer has an error or a glitch then the whole program shuts down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The city of Alexandria is now underwater. So they had the fire first and then the flood. At the time of Alexander.
I have been to Alexandria and it wasn't under water, you are talking about Thonis-Heracleion a city to the east of Alexandria that sunk at least 12 hundred years ago.

Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Religions are nonsense from start to finish, to be a believer you must first believe, only people who want to believe can possibly be believers, their gullibility mode needs to be turned on and their denial mode set to max before any of it will sink in and become true, try and imagine what it must be like to be a Scientology believer, the mental gymnastics must be incredible.
Every statement you make is a logical inconsistency. Your statements falsify themselves. Simply because they violate the laws of logic. God remains true even when man is inconsistent and untrue. This is because of time, only time will run out because there will be an end to inconsistency and what does not follow the laws of logic.

Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It appears that three of the four Israeli researchers who developed the program are observant Jews, so their bias could have been in the other direction. They also tested it by mixing together lines from two books of the Bible, and the software was able to separate them very accurately. It was noted that some of the findings do not agree exactly with the conclusions of Bible scholars, but in general confirm the theories about multiple authorship of certain writings, such as Isaiah.

They surely have a bias for the usefulness of algorithms and software to accurately identify a difference in authors. They must also have a certain bias for the reliability of abstractions to mirror reality to the point of trusting them to make such a differentiation. I am skeptical of the ability of any program or construct to do so. Even if such things could be made free of the human assumptions about the nature of reality that are built into them I do not see how they could possibly be expected to be discerning enough to see the difference between two people with different styles and one person consciously choosing to express things in a different way at different times. I might want to say a thing one way one time and then say something a different sort of way at a time other than the first.
Or
I might change things around a bit ey?
You never know,
Just what a guy might,
want to do ,
if a new thing, might
get your attention!?!

Upvote 0

Frenzy

Nov 13, 2015
✟663.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yet somehow others are attracted to a site full of those that are so gullible. In order to do what I wonder? Are they here to try to sell the gullible something they cannot sell the skeptical?
That's it, don't answer the questions just attack the questioner, that's the usual and well worn religious way out.

The sceptical do not need to be sold because they already know it to be true, I am attracted here because I find the gullible incredibly fascinating, I sit in awe and sadness at the things they say they believe, a bit like reality TV it's addictive.

Upvote 0