Bristol Palin: A Bone To Pick With Obama Over Gay Marriage

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Congrats on the inflammatory language. Congrats to Bristol finding a way to raise her child as a single mother during these economic times.

As if Bristol's financial success deserves kudos.

Bristol is a prime example of financial success in the US is tied much more strongly to who you know/the position you're in because of your parents than hard work or knowledge.

Not surprisingly, those in favor of "unfettered capitalism" see it as a positive that a person can thrive based solely on their parents fame, while in the same breath can criticize those who work 50 hours a week in a minimum wage job for being "leeches" because they don't pay income tax (despite contributing much, much more to society than the likes of Bristol Palin).

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed -- Bristol comes from a long line of American heroes.

First she got herself knocked up, then she became a celebrity for getting herself knocked up,
Yes, a failure of the public school sex education program. She can certainly ttest to that failure

now she's selling the intimate details of her daily life to cable television -- either to glorify her life and decisions, or as a "don't let this happen to you" tale.
I don't expect to see any intimate details

A pity she didn't do this sooner; she's could've gotten on MTV's "16 and Pregnant" with the other American heroes who are enduring.
Never heard of it.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We don't know if she's going to portray herself as a role model or use the show to make the case for waiting for marriage to have a family. So good job jumping the gun.
She's rich and famous - what case has she got for waiting?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, a failure of the public school sex education program. She can certainly ttest to that failure

Which in turn, is always a failure of the family's sex-education program.

Mommy and Daddy don't want to teach their kids to keep their pants on, so they foist it off on the schools -- utterly surprised when the government fails at doing their job for them.

So it's going to be a very boring show -- no surprise there.

Never heard of it.

A shame -- if "enduring" is your only criteria for heroism (as it appears to be), then that show is about bigger heroes than Bristol.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which in turn, is always a failure of the family's sex-education program.

Mommy and Daddy don't want to teach their kids to keep their pants on, so they foist it off on the schools -- utterly surprised when the government fails at doing their job for them.
Odd. Others have claimed that this is proof that Sarah's abstinence only instruction failed. But according to you, Sarah foisted her responsibility off on the schools. Hard to keep up with the moving goalaposts from your side of the aisle.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Odd. Others have claimed that this is proof that Sarah's abstinence only instruction failed. But according to you, Sarah foisted her responsibility off on the schools. Hard to keep up with the moving goalaposts from your side of the aisle.

Kindly show me what I have moved any goalposts.

You brought up the schools -- I'll agree that they served to compound Sarah's failure as a parent; there's plenty of blame to go around.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kindly show me what I have moved any goalposts.

You brought up the schools -- I'll agree that they served to compound Sarah's failure as a parent; there's plenty of blame to go around.
I said "from your side of the aisle." Interesting how intent you are to lay blame on Sarah though, as if she's the first mother ever whose daughter got pregnant out of wedlock. Worse considering the inundation in sex education kids get from the schools combined with peer pressure which is very difficult for parents to combat. But no, yo pegged it. It's Sarah's fault. :D:D:D

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I said "from your side of the aisle."

Oh, I get it -- you're confused, and are having difficulty maintaining a conversation with one person at a time.

Interesting how intent you are to lay blame on Sarah though, as if she's the first mother ever whose daughter got pregnant out of wedlock.
No, she's hardly the first failure -- happens all the time.

Worse considering the inundation in sex education kids get from the schools combined with peer pressure which is very difficult for parents to combat. But no, yo pegged it. It's Sarah's fault. :D:D:D
hard to combat if you don't even try. Conservative parents don't want to take responsibility over their kids; why should they try to discipline them?

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Never heard of it.

It's the schools job to teach their kids about sex and the morals that go with that? Really? My parents did that. By the time I learned about it in school, my parents had already taught me about it and the morals that go along with it to keep you out of trouble. Maybe Mom and Dad should have spent more time raising their kids with the proper moral values. I thought those on the Right believed in personal responsibility. Teaching kids about sex and the morality that goes with it is the parents job in the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's the schools job to teach their kids about sex and the morals that go with that? Really? My parents did that. By the time I learned about it in school, my parents had already taught me about it and the morals that go along with it to keep you out of trouble. Maybe Mom and Dad should have spent more time raising their kids with the proper moral values. I thought those on the Right believed in personal responsibility. Teaching kids about sex and the morality that goes with it is the parents job in the end.

pay attention, Mach -- this is how parents are supposed to act. See what happens when they do their job and not leave it to the government?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
katherine2001 said:

It shouldn't be the school's job, but they subvert the instruction at home. Thus the home school movement

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It shouldn't be the school's job, but they subvert the instruction at home. Thus the home school movement

It wouldn't be the schools' job if there actually was instruction at home. The home school movement is a good step for parents to take back responsibility.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
It wouldn't be the schools' job if there actually was instruction at home. The home school movement is a good step for parents to take back responsibility.

The schools take that job regardless of the instruction in the home

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The schools take that job regardless of the instruction in the home

And whether or not the schools have any effect depends on the parents' guidance (or lack thereof) -- those kids who have proper instruction form their parents aren't going to replace it with the school's.

Consider: Assuming a standard 40-minute high school class period. So for a typical health class, that's 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week, averaging 180 school days.

Now, no curriculum is going to spend an entire school year talking just about sex ed -- but let's be generous and assume 1/4 of that time -- that's half a semester, which would be a ridiculous amount of time, but like I said, we'll be generous.

So, 40 minutes a day for 45 days -- Now, even if we (laughably) assume a worst case scenario that every single one of those 45 classes is going to be pressuring kids to have sex, that still pales in comparison to the amount of time that parents have to set their kids on the right path.

Now, the parents have been doing that, right? I mean, if your kid is turned so easily to the dark side, especially in a public school system which Conservatives complain isn't teaching our kids in the first place, then Houston, you have a problem.

So really, who's responsible for your kids moral upbringing? Obviously whatever you've been teaching them just didn't take.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
And whether or not the schools have any effect depends on the parents' guidance (or lack thereof) -- those kids who have proper instruction form their parents aren't going to replace it with the school's.

Consider: Assuming a standard 40-minute high school class period. So for a typical health class, that's 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week, averaging 180 school days.

Now, no curriculum is going to spend an entire school year talking just about sex ed -- but let's be generous and assume 1/4 of that time -- that's half a semester, which would be a ridiculous amount of time, but like I said, we'll be generous.

So, 40 minutes a day for 45 days -- Now, even if we (laughably) assume a worst case scenario that every single one of those 45 classes is going to be pressuring kids to have sex, that still pales in comparison to the amount of time that parents have to set their kids on the right path.

Now, the parents have been doing that, right? I mean, if your kid is turned so easily to the dark side, especially in a public school system which Conservatives complain isn't teaching our kids in the first place, then Houston, you have a problem.

So really, who's responsible for your kids moral upbringing? Obviously whatever you've been teaching them just didn't take.

Sorry, but parental instruction competes with three things, school indoctrination, peer pressure and hormones. All at an age of rebelliousness. The schools actually have no business countering parental instruction

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry, but parental instruction competes with three things, school indoctrination, peer pressure and hormones. All at an age of rebelliousness. The schools actually have no business countering par cantal instruction

And by "school indoctrination" I'm assuming you mean teaching that birth control exists. That's how everyone else uses it anyways.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but parental instruction competes with three things, school indoctrination, peer pressure and hormones. All at an age of rebelliousness. The schools actually have no business countering par cantal instruction

Well, given that the school's influence is negligible (couldn't help but notice you didn't try to deny the numbers), why did you foist the blame on them?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
Well, given that the school's influence is negligible (couldn't help but notice you didn't try to deny the numbers), why did you foist the blame on them?

Perhaps you can explain why schools then are wasting tax dollars teaching classes with negligible influence

Upvote 0