Bristol Palin: A Bone To Pick With Obama Over Gay Marriage

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes younger people can provide a valuable perspective.

Quite so -- sometimes they have the clearest and simplest sense of right and wrong.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
More like spoken as though that's the general idea. Perhaps you can turn your values on and off like a switch, but most of us are taught not to.

Unfortunately, you and I have no knowledge that what was spoken, vague as it was, was true

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, you and I have no knowledge that what was spoken, vague as it was, was true

Agreed -- but we do know what was spoken by Sarah Palin to the general public. One can hope that what she gave the same advice to her own daughter.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
Agreed -- but we do know what was spoken by Sarah Palin to the general public. One can hope that what she gave the same advice to her own daughter.

We know that she did indeed. We also know that Bristol's public education contradicted her parental instructions. We also know abstinence failed her due to her being date raped. We know a lot of things and dome of us claim oddities like no school instruction can subvert parental instruction

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We know that she did indeed. We also know that Bristol's public education contradicted her parental instructions.

Actually, we don't know that.

We know that Alaska's educational standards at the time were vague on the topic, stating only that students “understand the physical and behavioral characteristics of human sexual development and maturity” and “understand the ongoing life changes throughout the life span and healthful responses to these changes.”

What we also know is that during the 2006 Alaskan Gubernational Race, Sarah Palin was a vocal supporter of abstinence-only education.

Two years later, and Sarah was still talking -- and not doing much else.

Palin’s Record on Family Issues - The Daily Beast

We also know abstinence failed her due to her being date raped.

We also know that she planned to marry her alleged rapist until breaking it off -- and then getting re-engaged -- and then breaking it off again.

So really, we don't really know much about the circumstances of her losing her virginity -- thanks to an alcoholic blackout, she's kind of fuzzy on that part herself.

We know a lot of things and dome of us claim oddities like no school instruction can subvert parental instruction

Odder still is the claim that there was something there for the schools to subvert. No school health program has ever instructed children to have sex.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
Actually, we don't know that.

We know that Alaska's educational standards at the time were vague on the topic, stating only that students “understand the physical and behavioral characteristics of human sexual development and maturity” and “understand the ongoing life changes throughout the life span and healthful responses to these changes.”

What we also know is that during the 2006 Alaskan Gubernational Race, Sarah Palin was a vocal supporter of abstinence-only education.

Two years later, and Sarah was still talking -- and not doing much else.

Palin’s Record on Family Issues - The Daily Beast

We also know that she planned to marry her alleged rapist until breaking it off -- and then getting re-engaged -- and then breaking it off again.

So really, we don't really know much about the circumstances of her losing her virginity -- thanks to an alcoholic blackout, she's kind of fuzzy on that part herself.

Odder still is the claim that there was something there for the schools to subvert. No school health program has ever instructed children to have sex.

What the schools do is provide children the encouragement to have sex, counter to the parental advice some get.

As far as Bristol's fuzziness, no, she is not fuzzy on the circumstances mentioned and she is not fuzzy on the instructions she received in school that countered the parental advice she received

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What the schools do is provide children the encouragement to have sex, counter to the parental advice some get.

How so? Where's the encouragement?

As far as Bristol's fuzziness, no, she is not fuzzy on the circumstances mentioned
She seemed fuzzy enough for quite some time -- funny how the first implication of "date rape" (notice even she never used that term; libel laws are a pain) was not to police or to family, but in her tell-all autobiography which was written after she dumped said "rapist" (a second time, let us not forget) for suggesting (are you ready for this?) that their relationship would make a good reality show.

I don't know how fuzzy she was on the circumstances at the time, but it seems to me that she knew exactly what she was doing since then.

and she is not fuzzy on the instructions she received in school that countered the parental advice she received
Did the school give her instructions to get drunk? I've heard of party schools, but that's a bit over the top. So exactly what insturctions did she receive?

Funny how she's been kind of mum about that -- could it be you're just making some baseless assumptions with nothing to back it up?

The only thing she ever seemed fuzzy on was her parental advice -- if any. I mean, if a government employee, who sees your kid for 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 9 months out of the year (assuming you have perfect attendance) speaking on a variety of topics to a group of 25-40 kids can have a bigger influence than parents, then I remain unimpressed at the "parenting" involved.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The only thing she ever seemed fuzzy on was her parental advice -- if any. I mean, if a government employee, who sees your kid for 40 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 9 months out of the year (assuming you have perfect attendance) speaking on a variety of topics to a group of 25-40 kids can have a bigger influence than parents, then I remain unimpressed at the "parenting" involved.

You know, that almost sounds like that personal responsibility thing we keep getting told we don't have.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I personally can't imagine the chagrin Ms Palin suffered having her "sin" paraded before the world! I know of one couple who had premarital sex and was pushed in to marriage by their minister, but according to church polity were required to stand together before the congregation and confess their sin!!!! They did, but of course the event caused such misery they left that church soon after. :(

[Definition of CHAGRIN : disquietude or distress of mind caused by humiliation, disappointment, or failure]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Seems to me that Bristol has accepted responsibility

Do you think she's responsible for her actions, or is her school still to blame for knocking her up?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
Do you think she's responsible for her actions, or is her school still to blame for knocking her up?

She's responsible for her actions ands she has taken responsibility for her actions

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems to me that Bristol has accepted responsibility

That's cool, I was referring to the whole "parents teaching their children enough so the minimal amount of instruction they get at school actually changes their views" thing though.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wayte said:
That's cool, I was referring to the whole "parents teaching their children enough so the minimal amount of instruction they get at school actually changes their views" thing though.

Sorry then, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sorry then, I have no idea what that's supposed to mean

He is saying that if the school and teachers, in the limited time they have with each child or class, can have a larger influence than the parents, then the parents really aren't doing a good job at all.

If the school, in such small amounts of time and efficiency as they have to teach anything, can "encourage sex" (as you claimed prior), then the parents are doing a darned terrible job teaching the child anything at all about sexual morality and abstinence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is saying that if the school and teachers, in the limited time they have with each child or class, can have a larger influence than the parents, then the parents really aren't doing a good job at all.

If the school, in such small amounts of time and efficiency as they have to teach anything, can "encourage sex" (as you claimed prior), then the parents are doing a darned terrible job teaching the child anything at all about sexual morality and abstinence.
That opinion would seem to come from someone who has never raised any children.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That opinion would seem to come from someone who has never raised any children.

Regardless of that, I still feel it does have some merit.

But, as someone still young and all, I have to admit this, my parents always influenced my actions and thoughts far more than my teachers ever could. Far far more. This may not be the case for every child, but it is certainly far from uncommon, I feel.

Upvote 0