border crossings lowest in 50 years as of Feb 2019 - what a difference to March 16, 2021

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't understand the relevance of “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" to the desire for immigration to a better life, what else can I say?

Here is the explanation of why you are missing the meaning... "At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent, and have revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your gracious will." Matthew 11:25-26

Well, you could say a lot more to better make your point. Jesus was speaking of people personally coming to him. Somehow, you’ve managed to interchange this verse of people coming to Jesus to also mean people metaphorically coming to the Statue of Liberty.

And your “explanation” has nothing to do with immigration policy, i.e. whether a country should allow people from another country to enter, how many, how often, etcetera.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@NotreDame
I think I remember that you are an attorney? Anyway, you usually have legal understanding. IF you have time will you take a look at this thread and tell me what all those states could be suing Biden for? Don't they have to be harmed in some way?

21 States suing joe over executive orders

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/15/as-...ild-wall-border-crossings-at-record-lows.html

• "As President Donald Trump declares a national emergency to build a border wall, crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border are at their lowest levels in nearly 50 years.
  • There were 303,916 apprehensions along the southern border during the 2017 fiscal year, the lowest level since 1971."
And then??

Illegal Border Crossings Near Two-Decade High, Mayorkas Says

"WASHINGTON—The U.S. is on pace to see the largest number of migrants crossing its southern border illegally in two decades, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a statement Tuesday addressing growing concern about the government’s response."

Can't be an issue with an open-borders policy that's for sure. or... is it?

Or, more likely, people didn’t want to risk the harrowing journey to end up in a country run by an unapologetic racist who enjoyed inciting violence against minorities and people who disagreed with him. People ultimately decided that even under the awful living conditions they deal with where they are, it was preferable to ending up in a country run by a reality TV show host.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or, more likely, people didn’t want to risk the harrowing journey to end up in a country run by an unapologetic racist who enjoyed inciting violence against minorities and people who disagreed with him. People ultimately decided that even under the awful living conditions they deal with where they are, it was preferable to ending up in a country run by a reality TV show host.

If that's all it took to keep them out, they couldn't be all that desperate. Americans who are citizens here weren't trying to go to Honduras to escape the "reality TV show host".

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that's all it took to keep them out, they couldn't be all that desperate. Americans who are citizens here weren't trying to go to Honduras to escape the "reality TV show host".

Actually, there was an uptick in Americans who went to Canada, England, France, and the Caribbean during his presidency.

Besides which, that’s a remark rooted in your privilege, not fact. Why would people make a harrowing journey that carries with it death, rape, kidnapping, human trafficking, only to end up somewhere “led” by a “president” who appeals to racists, skinheads, and bigots, encourages violence to minorities and dissenters? People free for an improvement in their situation, not a similar situation with a different zip code. When only 30% of people in the country like the leader and ultimately want him gone so bad he’s impeached twice, blocked off social media, and is forced to spend his post-presidency in hiding, people outside of the country aren’t going to rush to be a part of his country either. With a 17% approval rating abroad and a 10% approval rating in Mexico and Central America... I mean... What you should be asking is why we were willing to put up with a leader that people who face unspeakable poverty and horrors looked at and said “you know what? I have it better here than I would in America... I’ll stay.” Compare that to Biden and his 70% international approval rating (from everybody but China and Russia), it doesn’t take a genius to track why immigration, illegal and otherwise, collapsed. If you were a stripper, prostitute, or model, it was a good time to get your “cultural work visa,” but for everybody else, not so much.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are many voices that claim to advocate compassion for illegal immigration & do not seem to have much to say for controlling human trafficking or sensible legal immigration policy. Most people that support sound, legal immigration believe that refugees should fall within this scope. The idea is to maintain our respective societies so as many people can live in less poverty & in a sustainable environment as possible. While too many wars exist, the world would implode if nation states break down.

I wonder what privileged, “compassionate” types have to say or what they would do in the case of the island of Hispaniola shared between Haiti & the Dominican Republic? Personally, I would think those nations have to resolve their own matters. The situation of Hispaniola:

An Island Divided: What the World Must Learn from Tragedy on Hispaniola – Lori Bennear Research Group

The initiative of the Dominican Republic:

Dominican Republic announces plans for Haiti border fence

I do not know the solution to something like this. Would the advocates for unrestricted immigration be so “compassionate” if a potential conflict for survival looms?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Actually, there was an uptick in Americans who went to Canada, England, France, and the Caribbean during his presidency.

Besides which, that’s a remark rooted in your privilege, not fact. Why would people make a harrowing journey that carries with it death, rape, kidnapping, human trafficking, only to end up somewhere “led” by a “president” who appeals to racists, skinheads, and bigots, encourages violence to minorities and dissenters? People free for an improvement in their situation, not a similar situation with a different zip code. When only 30% of people in the country like the leader and ultimately want him gone so bad he’s impeached twice, blocked off social media, and is forced to spend his post-presidency in hiding, people outside of the country aren’t going to rush to be a part of his country either. With a 17% approval rating abroad and a 10% approval rating in Mexico and Central America... I mean... What you should be asking is why we were willing to put up with a leader that people who face unspeakable poverty and horrors looked at and said “you know what? I have it better here than I would in America... I’ll stay.” Compare that to Biden and his 70% international approval rating (from everybody but China and Russia), it doesn’t take a genius to track why immigration, illegal and otherwise, collapsed. If you were a stripper, prostitute, or model, it was a good time to get your “cultural work visa,” but for everybody else, not so much.

The people you claim make America such a terrible place are still here, regardless of the election results. Don't you think the illegals crossing the border realize that?

Upvote 0